Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One needs time to adjust then develop, jesus.
    Not if you are good.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't know there was a rule if you don't play in the first 35 games at the 19th pick you are a complete loss. That's news to me. Let's just blow it up then - let's cut him.[/COLOR]

Watching Samanic IN PERSON tells me he has a lot of tools that will serve him well as he develops over time. All of the Spurs top picks recently have spent their first year in Austin mostly. This is no different.
    No, but it is not a good start if the player can't even make the roster his first year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs lost in a close playoff series against the Nuggets. It was a series close enough that if a couple things had gone differently, or if they had just a little more help, they might have won.

What did the Spurs do in the draft, then? They used their first pick on a player they knew could not play for them this season.

Players drafted after Samanic in the 1st round, who have averaged more than 12 minutes (one quarter) of play in more than half the games.

Matisse Thybulle. Has appeared in 31 NBA games, avg of 17.6 minutes per game.

Brandon Clarke. 33 NBA games, 21.3 min/gm.

Grant Williams. 34 games, 15.3 min/gm.

Darius Bazley. 38 games, 17 min/gm.

Nassir Little. 28 gms, 12.6 min/gm.

Jordan Poole. 33 gms, 21.1 min/gm.

Kevin Porter Jr. 34 gms, 21.8 min/gm.

Seven players drafted after Samanic are making serious contributions to their teams this season.

The Spurs (whose current record is 16 - 21) were unable to draft a player they could use at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was not Porter drafted the year before?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Kevin Porter the Denver dude?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was not Porter drafted the year before?
    I'm using draft picks from this page:

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../NBA_2019.html

Kevin Porter Jr is #30, chosen by the Bucks, then he went in a roundabout way to the Cavaliers.

https://www.basketball-reference.com...porteke02.html

Denver's Porter Jr is Michael, drafted in 2018. This is Michael's rookie year because he missed last season after having back surgery.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not if you are good.
    It is if you play for Pop.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs lost in a close playoff series against the Nuggets. It was a series close enough that if a couple things had gone differently, or if they had just a little more help, they might have won.

What did the Spurs do in the draft, then? They used their first pick on a player they knew could not play for Players drafted after Samanic in the 1st round, who have averaged more than 12 minutes (one quarter) of play in more than half the games.

Matisse Thybulle. Has appeared in 31 NBA games, avg of 17.6 minutes per game.

Brandon Clarke. 33 NBA games, 21.3 min/gm.

Grant Williams. 34 games, 15.3 min/gm.

Darius Bazley. 38 games, 17 min/gm.

Nassir Little. 28 gms, 12.6 min/gm.

Jordan Poole. 33 gms, 21.1 min/gm.

Kevin Porter Jr. 34 gms, 21.8 min/gm.

Seven players drafted after Samanic are making serious contributions to their teams this season.

The Spurs (whose current record is 16 - 21) were unable to draft a player they could use at all.
    They NOT Playing For POP!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They NOT Playing For POP!!

And they're all glad about that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs pick for future. None of those picks would help us against Lakers itd likely still be the 4 game sweep yall complain about. They draft looking into the future

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then why dont you jump ship to teams playing their rookies? Oh right they arent a winning franchises compared to SA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic's ceiling is so much higher than undersized center Brandon Clarke's, it's not even funny. I'd rather a team in transition draft based on potential rather than role players. Even if Samanic never develops and turns into a Dragan Bender the pick would still have been worth it.

It would have been cool if he could see some real NBA minutes from time to time but there no doubt it'd serve him better to play 30 mins a game in the Gleague rather than 5 or so in the NBA. The roster being constructed so weirdly makes it even more difficult - let's not forget the Spurs currently have 7 players on rookie contracts, that's as many as deep-into-rebuilding Atlanta Hawks. The other half of the roster consists of vets, with barely anyone in their prime. Must be difficult for the coaches to find the right balance, while still trying to make the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs actually drafted 2 players they could use. Keldon Johnson and Quindary Weatherspoon. It's just that their coach won't play them. Both of them are better than Nasir Little

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JeffDuncan is a nagging . None of those rookies he listed he's crying about are any good. Who the cares if they're getting minutes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic's ceiling is so much higher than undersized center Brandon Clarke's, it's not even funny. I'd rather a team in transition draft based on potential rather than role players. Even if Samanic never develops and turns into a Dragan Bender the pick would still have been worth it.

It would have been cool if he could see some real NBA minutes from time to time but there no doubt it'd serve him better to play 30 mins a game in the Gleague rather than 5 or so in the NBA. The roster being constructed so weirdly makes it even more difficult - let's not forget the Spurs currently have 7 players on rookie contracts, that's as many as deep-into-rebuilding Atlanta Hawks. The other half of the roster consists of vets, with barely anyone in their prime. Must be difficult for the coaches to find the right balance, while still trying to make the playoffs.
    This

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Agreed I'm all for the spurs taking risks with their first round picks. They have to try to find players that have potential to be stars. The guys the Spurs passed up to pick Luka over are just going to be good role players at best. Even Luka turns out to be trash I feel it was still a good risk to take in the sense it was low risk and high reward. The Spurs also drafted Keldon so he could turn out to be as good as guys like Clarke that it will offset Luka not panning out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs actually drafted 2 players they could use. Keldon Johnson and Quindary Weatherspoon. It's just that their coach won't play them. Both of them are better than Nasir Little
    The point remains that a team which is now 16-21 used its top draft pick on a player they knew perfectly well could not play at all this season. Drafting like that is the kind of thing a senile drunk would do. Or two senile drunks working together.

Quinndary and Keldon have played a combined total of 3.5 minutes. What they might do for the Spurs is totally unknown, and is going to stay that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope the spurs can get something out of luka next season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he injured? Not even playing in today’s GLeague game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The point remains that a team which is now 16-21 used its top draft pick on a player they knew perfectly well could not play at all this season. Drafting like that is the kind of thing a senile drunk would do. Or two senile drunks working together.

Quinndary and Keldon have played a combined total of 3.5 minutes. What they might do for the Spurs is totally unknown, and is going to stay that way.
    What will our record be next season? We'll need to know that before picking our next draft pick so we can gauge the risk we are willing to take. Please be specific, within a game or two, we want to be precise in our risk managment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is he injured? Not even playing in today’s GLeague game
    Punishment for liking those tweets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What will our record be next season? We'll need to know that before picking our next draft pick so we can gauge the risk we are willing to take. Please be specific, within a game or two, we want to be precise in our risk managment.
    You would do the "smart" thing again, and draft a player you know will not play for the team, you say?

The Spurs were coming off a playoff series they ultimately lost by 4 points in the final game. Seems rather obvious the team needed a little help, doesn't it? So who did they draft? They intentionally drafted a player they knew would be of no help this season, because they knew he wouldn't even play, at all. And you think that was smart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him. It's waaay too early for him to be having at ude problems when he hasn't shown anything especially noteworthy that demands accommodation.
    He came in with the at ude and en lement rep. He bailed on his Euro team to go through the draft workout process, just walked away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not to mention that they don't shove cocaine up their noses, and rat out their boys to stay out of jail.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He came in with the at ude and en lement rep. He bailed on his Euro team to go through the draft workout process, just walked away.
    This is what I've been observing all season, dude is not a "team" "we" guy. For me this was CONFIRMED when Keldon was asked directly about his chemistry with Luka and he artfully, politically, dodged answering it directly. The kid has all the athletic metrics but he if ANYBODY needed that Greg Popovich "tough love" directly its this kid. Yet he'll he is consigned to the Austin club.
    I think this was a known concern and I'm still god with drafting him.
    Given his potential it's worth a shot. He just turned 20 living in a foreign country (not everybody it mature at 20- I wasn't). I do agree he could benefit form direct Pop time- but he also needs to play. As Drew has pointed out- while far from NBA the G league is pretty decent caliber nad he has not played much at any level.

Thread Information