Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if all this is legit, i can't see how the spurs pass on the offer to acquire assets and hold on to jakob.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truth be told, if we get firsts, it will likely only be in a Poeltl trade. Maybe if we take on salary, but the only option I see on that is LA and I'm not convinced they are ready to part with potential lottery picks just to get rid of Russell's contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truth be told, if we get firsts, it will likely only be in a Poeltl trade. Maybe if we take on salary, but the only option I see on that is LA and I'm not convinced they are ready to part with potential lottery picks just to get rid of Russell's contract.
    A Westbrook trade would definitely bring us the most assets, but if we end up trading with the Lakers I think something like Richardson for Beverly and the Lakers' own '23 second is more likely. I wouldn't scoff at that if we don't have a better deal on the table.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this actually a good draft?
    It is at the top...and better than most drafts as of late down to 12 or 15...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm expected to believe that there is a team who will give up 2 first round picks for a center with no offense game, who is terrible at one on one defense, and can walk away after this season

Boston trying to get Poeltl for doing nothing more than removing a protection on a pick we will get anyway unless its number 1 overall

At least that is more realistic than this two first round picks for Poeltl nonsense.

The darkest timeline involves having to pay Poeltl 20 million a year

I don't think you quite understand how the swap works, or if you do youre being disingenuous about it. The Spurs don't just get the Celtics pick in 2028, they have the option to swap draft positioning. Removing the #1 protection and actually trading the picks gives us two picks in 2028, not just one. 2028 is a long way away and we have no clue where we or they will be. Netting an unprotected 1st instead of a top-1 protected swap is not just a punt.

Secondly...Toronto gave us a 1st for an expiring, undersized C with no offensive game who is terrible on defense just last year and Poeltl is 10x the player that Young was at the time. A team trading for Poeltl also obtains his bird rights and a contender over the cap can re-sign him above the cap while keeping their MLE. He is definitely worth 2 picks to the right team. Even that bum Mozgov got two firsts back in 2015 iirc.

It's not that hard to believe tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    May be, but it's extremely unlikely we get a good pick in that range. We should focus on the top 3-8 (top 2 doesn't need any scouting), and also in the mid-late first round (a trade there is usually possible), and early second (we already have a pick in the low 30s -currently 34- and may land more). Someone is sure to fall into that range, which is always very interesting (usually a lot of older but very solid prospects):
    '22: Nembhard @31, Koloko @33
    '21: Herb Jones @35, Ayo Dosunmu @38
    '20: Desmond Bane @30 -first, but moving a few slots up should be doable-, Tre Jones @41
    '19: Claxton @31, Terance Mann @48
    '18: Brunson @33, Mitc Robinson @36, Gary Trent Jr @37
    '17: Dillon Brooks @45
    '16: Zubac @32, Malcom Brogdon @36
    and so on. There's always value there, usually the high ceiling prospects are all already taken, but a few solid prospects slip and are there for the taking for those who did their homework.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    May be, but it's extremely unlikely we get a good pick in that range. We should focus on the top 3-8 (top 2 doesn't need any scouting), and also in the mid-late first round, and early second. We already have a pick in the low 30s (currently 34), and someone is sure to fall into that range, which is always very interesting. There's usually a lot of older but very solid prospects that fall into that range:
    '22: Nembhard @31, Koloko @33
    '21: Herb Jones @35, Ayo Dosunmu @38
    '20: Desmond Bane @30 -first, but moving a few slots up should be doable-, Tre Jones @41
    '19: Claxton @31, Terance Mann @48
    '18: Brunson @33, Mitc Robinson @36, Gary Trent Jr @37
    '17: Dillon Brooks @45
    '16: Zubac @32, Malcom Brogdon @36
    and so on. There's always value there, usually the high ceiling prospects are all already taken, but usually there are many solid players that slip and are there for the taking for those who did their homework.
    I'm not really that interested in adding picks outside the top 15 this year. We have 3 rooks on the team now and if I'm adding to that I want our pick and another in the top 15 if we can reasonably swing it. I'm going upside on those picks too... I'd even be amenable to adding our 2nd rd pick to a deal that nets us a pick in that range if need be....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think so. It's Wembanyama and that's about it. Certainly doesn't compare to this last draft, which was excellent throughout the lottery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not really that interested in adding picks outside the top 15 this year. We have 3 rooks on the team now and if I'm adding to that I want our pick and another in the top 15 if we can reasonably swing it. I'm going you upside on those picks... I'd even be amenable to adding our 2nd rd pick to a deal that nets us a pick in that range if need be....
    You don't have to use them necessarily, you can use them in a trade up, or trade them for future picks, or even in a draft & stash if there's no better option. But you need to be ready and have assets that others may want in case an opportunity presents itself. I'm all for whatever increases our options, and though a lottery pick is surely ideal, I find it very unlikely we can land another one at this time (usually it's far out picks that unexpectedly end up conveying in the lottery later on).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think so. It's Wembanyama and that's about it. Certainly doesn't compare to this last draft, which was excellent throughout the lottery.
    At this time last year lots of people were saying the class of '22 was weak comparing to that of '21, which turned out to be nonsense. We should wait a couple more months before passing judgment on that, TBH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think you quite understand how the swap works, or if you do youre being disingenuous about it. The Spurs don't just get the Celtics pick in 2028, they have the option to swap draft positioning. Removing the #1 protection and actually trading the picks gives us two picks in 2028, not just one. 2028 is a long way away and we have no clue where we or they will be. Netting an unprotected 1st instead of a top-1 protected swap is not just a punt.

Secondly...Toronto gave us a 1st for an expiring, undersized C with no offensive game who is terrible on defense just last year and Poeltl is 10x the player that Young was at the time. A team trading for Poeltl also obtains his bird rights and a contender over the cap can re-sign him above the cap while keeping their MLE. He is definitely worth 2 picks to the right team. Even that bum Mozgov got two firsts back in 2015 iirc.

It's not that hard to believe tbh
    Slight correction -- Toronto didn't give us a 1st for Thad Young, they swapped our 2nd for their 1st. So we moved up about 13 spots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this time last year lots of people were saying the class of '22 was weak comparing to that of '21, which turned out to be nonsense. We should wait a couple more months before passing judgment on that, TBH.
    Just saying a class is weak doesn't magically make it a good one. And... I don't remember people saying 22 was weaker than 21. If so, they were mistaken from the beginning, as 22 was always looking better. In fact, 21 always looked remarkably weak.

This draft looks pretty poor, to be honest.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Much better than the last draft, talent wise, in that range... in fact the top 6 in this draft probably go #1 in last years draft... but I understand your position...you're more pessimistic than most here when it comes to draft prospects... it is a crap shoot and that breeds certain amount of insecurity..

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, it's converting the swap to an actual pick without any protection.

So, if you assume the Spurs will be better than the Celtics in 2028, the Spurs basically get to keep their own pick. Doesn't seem like enough for Jak, IMO.
    If both the celtics and spurs are lottery teams the spurs can have two unprotected lottery picks in 2028.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A Westbrook trade would definitely bring us the most assets, but if we end up trading with the Lakers I think something like Richardson for Beverly and the Lakers' own '23 second is more likely. I wouldn't scoff at that if we don't have a better deal on the table.
    I don't want second round picks. The spurs have enough first round draft picks coming up in the next few years and players curently on the roster that arer as good as or better than 2nd round value that the second round pick won't be an upgrade to anything already on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, my preference is for far out picks. We have enough young, mid talent to develop with more in the pipeline. Even last year consolidating and moving up to grab Tari Eason or Jalen Duren would have made sense versus Branham and Wesley.
    Last edited by KingKev; 01-25-2023 at 01:39 PM.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    with how good the draft is looking the Spurs should try to focus on getting another first round pick for the 2023 draft. They might be able to steal somebody talented in the late first round like they usually do
    Agree The Spurs should target getting an additional first round pick in 2023.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, my preference is for far out pics. We have enough young, mid talent to develop with more in the pipeline. Even last year consolidating and moving up to grab Tari Eason or Jalen Duren would have made sense versus Branham and Wesley.
    I'm in agreement with this (although adding one other pick top 15 this year would be fine too...then the test should be down the road)...picks in 2026 or later should have better value and elevate our ceiling as a small market team...they are probably more attainable with little to no protections as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always hazardous to make definitive judgements in January about drafts (any time actually) but if you ask me, I'd say early lottery seems to be interesting, with Vic and Scoot as top prizes (Vic as the only surefire). Past 8 or so, no idea.

So yeah, do spurs need and want non lottery/late picks in future drafts? To use them to acquire vet players OK, but to keep them? I don't know, they have a bunch of young guys to develop already and you don't want to end up like OKC or Houston... You can always see what's there and decide to keep or trade the picks I suppose.
    Last edited by JPB; 01-25-2023 at 01:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Much better than the last draft, talent wise, in that range... in fact the top 6 in this draft probably go #1 in last years draft... but I understand your position...you're more pessimistic than most here when it comes to draft prospects... it is a crap shoot and that breeds certain amount of insecurity..
    ing ridiculous. Just ing ridiculous. Always amusing when people fall in love with run and jump guys. Lol, good day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing ridiculous. Just ing ridiculous. Always amusing when people fall in love with run and jump guys. Lol, good day.
    Cool story bro...

It's not about falling in love with anyone or any draft...it's about evaluating talent at a particular point in time...I get that its not your thing...but its something I enjoy doing and have done it for years... so don't get your panties wound too tight over it dude..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a hard time believing Banchero and Chet fall to 7 and 8 if they were in this draft (and I actually don't even like Chet as a prospect, but I still don't think he falls to #8 in this year's draft). TBH they probably go 2 and 3, 3 and 4 at worst.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a hard time believing Banchero and Chet fall to 7 and 8 if they were in this draft (and I actually don't even like Chet as a prospect, but I still don't think he falls to #8 in this year's draft). TBH they probably go 2 and 3, 3 and 4 at worst.
    I understand but, that was the consensus at the draft and it hasn't really changed...it won't change until we get closer to this draft and get more data from athletic testing and interviews...

And I don't mean my consensus or the consensus on ST.... it was the consensus among the draft guys that cover these things...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cool story bro...

It's not about falling in love with anyone or any draft...it's about evaluating talent at a particular point in time...I get that its not your thing...but its something I enjoy doing and have done it for years... so don't get your panties wound too tight over it dude..
    Other than Vic none of these guys would make top ten this past draft. Overtime Elite. Lmao.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chet, Banchero, Mathurin, Murray Ivey all go before this year's non Wemby players, there's no question.

Daniels probably. I'd take Shaeden Sharpe before Scoot. And I was big on Sochan, who is also better than most of them.

Is to laugh.

Thread Information