San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Firing White? You son of a , I'm in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are very close to being the Kings

The Spurs have drafted better than the Kings despite picking many spots later on average…

Halliburton looks very good but defensive metrics were bad last year. Let’s grade him vs Vassell in a few years

But before that..

Traded 2019 first in a deal for basically nothing that was universally panned. Spurs picked Luka and Keldon. One of those guys just won a gold medal.

2018: Bagley #2 vs. Walker #18

2017: Fox #5 and Josh Jackson #15 vs. White #29

2016: Chriss #8 vs. Murray #29

Before that was Cayley-Stein #6, Stauskas #8, McLemore #7, Thomas Robinson #5, Biyambo #7

Their best draft pick outside of Fox the past decade was probably Isaiah Thomas at #60.

Spurs had a few spotty picks but generally have drafted outstandingly considering where they’ve been in draft. They are not the Kings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would fire pop first then have new gm pick coach

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs have drafted better than the Kings despite picking many spots later on average…

Halliburton looks very good but defensive metrics were bad last year. Let’s grade him vs Vassell in a few years

But before that..

Traded 2019 first in a deal for basically nothing that was universally panned. Spurs picked Luka and Keldon. One of those guys just won a gold medal.

2018: Bagley #2 vs. Walker #18

2017: Fox #5 and Josh Jackson #15 vs. White #29

2016: Chriss #8 vs. Murray #29

Before that was Cayley-Stein #6, Stauskas #8, McLemore #7, Thomas Robinson #5, Biyambo #7

Their best draft pick outside of Fox the past decade was probably Isaiah Thomas at #60.

Spurs had a few spotty picks but generally have drafted outstandingly considering where they’ve been in draft. They are not the Kings.
    These people don’t care about facts........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he isn’t making the decisions than why is he in the job? And whoever is responsible should be fired.

Look, this Primo pick should be career ending. This isn’t a case like last year where reasonable minds could disagree, but everyone could pretty much understand why Devin Vassel was picked where he was, and it turned out Halliburton was the much better player. This is a case where the Spurs, who are almost entirely dependent on the draft for major talent acquisition, made a decision that looked objectively horrible at the time the decision was made while players that appeared to be clearly better were available. The decision is looking worse now, and will probably look shockingly bad by mid-December.

Now it has become increasingly clear that Primo is a) a total project that may not even pan out to be more than a role player (if that) in the NBA given his rawness and lack of athleticism, and b) the guy that fills the biggest need on the roster, who most people thought the Spurs should pick is proving to be the real deal athletically in the NBA (the number one knock on him was this issue). Fact is, there are several players that look far more likely to be contributors and NBA players taken after Primo.

I defended the Spurs on the Luka pick, because at 19 I can justify a gamble on a high upside guy like that, especially in a weaker draft year. I have generally defended them on most of their decisions, but this one should be career ending. This was just the second lottery pick for the Spurs this millennium, you really can’t air ball the shot this badly and recover. They could have literally gone in multiple different directions and I would have been fine with it, but fans shouldn’t just pretend this isn’t a sign of complete and total incompetence and demand accountability.
    Of course he's raw, he's only 18 years old!

He doesn't have an elite first- step, but that doesn't mean he's unathletic.

Had he stayed in school another year then likely would've gone top 5 or 10, so grabbing him a year early to get him in your developmental program is fine.

And he's already shown good leadership, a smooth jump shot (off the bounce, catching and shoot & stepping back) & a good feel for the game So, I'm not sure where you are seeing his ceiling being only a role player (he already displays advanced moves that our main guards lack on offense).

Give the kid TIME to develop, learn and grow then comeback in two, three or four years crying about the pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love the argument that Cousin may have been a lottery pick next year. So take someone who might be a lottery pick next year over someone who we know is legit lottery talent right now? Never knew it would get worse than the ing Gasol contract with this front office, but here we are.
    What is more valued guard play with perimeter shooting or interior play?

The kid came out early and is younger than many (top) players in next year's class, plus not playing him allows them to acquire another high pick.

Again, develop him while seeing what you have now and get another high pick next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Firing White? You son of a , I'm in.
    I’m with you, you son of a . Pull the f’in trigger, Pop!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is more valued guard play with perimeter shooting or interior play?

The kid came out early and is younger than many (top) players in next year's class, plus not playing him allows them to acquire another high pick.

Again, develop him while seeing what you have now and get another high pick next season.
    So we are assuming that Primo could be top 5 lottery caliber next year, and then we pick another top 5? So Spurs become compe ive on the 3rd year, 2023-24. Murray would be on his last year, maybe expecting a near max contract if he continues to improve, likewise Vassell’s contract would be expiring. Primo, if he pans out as a top 5 player, could be asking a Rookie Max extension. Gosh, we could be losing players that year. I bet it would be Murray with Klutch Sports.

Hmm 3 years from now

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s pretty good when healthy, but it seems like he is always injured. I don’t think you can fire players on guaranteed contracts though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These people don’t care about facts........
    These people weren’t drafted by Brian Wrong. But I’m the one who doesn’t care about facts

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have drafted Moses Moody

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It does not matter if he is white blue red green black orange
    He is not qualified to do the job
    Ask the 45 president of the USA would say You Are Fired

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBH, he fits the M.O. of a prototypical "Yes" man. He's merely pulling the levers he's being told to pull. More of a puppet than a true GM. Anyone who believes he's running anything from a decision-making standpoint is delusional.

Spurs love forever RobinsontoDuncan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was 5am ET when I wrote the first post and I made a typo (although it’s kind of been a funny addition to the thread).

Would be happy if TimVp would/could change the threat le, but you all know who I meant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm warming up with the idea that we drafted a potential top 5 player next year, instead of a 10-20 caliber this year.

I mean the kid is 18. He has some advanced game for his age. Develop him early. Pair him with another top pick next year.

There's a risk, but it could have huge upsides. Our scouts must have seen something really impressive to be willing to take that gamble.

And if that pans out, the Spurs would've done it again! Either way, Brian has big cojones to pull something like that.

Thread Information