Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jumping is not an integral part of football like it is basketball. Plus the technique is different, you have to keep your arms by your side which is obviously going to limit your max since you're not using the momentum of your torso to max your height like in basketball. You can even see it in that video, look at his form.

Rugby sucks.
    Yeah, but we don't know how many inches you might gain using your arms vs. not using them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who was proven wrong? Mind going to modify all your posts claiming "MLB average size is 6'2" 190lbs" to 6'1" 223lbs?
    Honest question? Why does this matter? It doesn't give your side of the argument any additional ammunition. If you're into fitness like you claim, you know BMI is meaningless.

Bryce Harper is 6'2" 230lb. Does he look fat to you?

My essential point remains the same. Baseball players aren't fat as proven by the average 13.8% body fat, the only meaningful metric in this case. Anyhow, I wasn't being intellectually dishonest since I got that initial number from here:

The average height of a major league player has increased almost 7% since the 1870's, from 68.9 inches to 73.7 inches. In terms of weight, the average ballplayer is almost 14% heavier than the average player in the 1870's, increasing from 167.3 lbs to 190.6 lbs.Apr 19, 2011
    The average size can also fluctuate from season-to-season.

Look how NBA players "shrunk" 2" and lost 10 pounds from 09 to 10.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Damn, my Splits exposing the fraudulent fatbol crew arguments ITT

Keep it up tbh scro

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

look at this fat (video at the link)

probably drunk
    fatbol only game other than bowling where it doesn't matter if you're drunk
    fried chicken and beer in the clubhouse during games
    going to the clubhouse to fill your gatorade cup with beer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyhow, to put the knife in this debate, I'd rank the quality of athletes in each sport as:

Peak athleticism (which sport has the best individual athletes):

1. NFL
    2. NBA
    3. MLB
    4. Soccer

Average overall athleticism:

1. NBA
    2. MLB
    3. NFL (the morbidly obese O and D lines really bring down the NFL's average athleticism)
    4. Soccer

Soccer crew ain't going to like that, but there's no evidence to suggest otherwise. Soccer players are actually rather slow compared to the sprint averages we see in top 3 American sports. They have comparatively low vertical leaps. Their upper body strength would lag far behind the athletes in the other 3 sports. And I have serious doubts a soccer player's overall leg strength would be superior to the athletes in the other sports, considering the vert and sprint marks of the average soccer player. I will give soccer players the edge in lateral quickness, but that's it.

"Stamina."

I don't rate feats of stamina highly. ANYONE can do them. This guy completed a 10K run (about the average distance a soccer player covers in game) in, drumroll, 90 minutes....at 102 years old

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauja_Singh

Yeah, yeah, I know he likely didn't sprint, but soccer players maybe sprint 10-20% of the time for short bursts. They are not sprinting full bore for 90 minutes.

That said, I respect the skills of soccer players, but they aren't magical athletic specimens because they can jog, walk, and occasionally sprint over 90 minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyhow, to put the knife in this debate, I'd rank the quality of athletes in each sport as:

Peak athleticism (which sport has the best individual athletes):

1. NFL
    2. NBA
    3. MLB
    4. Soccer

Average overall athleticism:

1. NBA
    2. MLB
    3. NFL (the morbidly obese O and D lines really bring down the NFL's average athleticism)
    4. Soccer

Soccer crew ain't going to like that, but there's no evidence to suggest otherwise. Soccer players are actually rather slow compared to the sprint averages we see in top 3 American sports. They have comparatively low vertical leaps. Their upper body strength would lag far behind the athletes in the other 3 sports. And I have serious doubts a soccer player's overall leg strength would be superior to the athletes in the other sports, considering the vert and sprint marks of the average soccer player. I will give soccer players the edge in lateral quickness, but that's it.

"Stamina."

I don't rate feats of stamina highly. ANYONE can do them. This guy completed a 10K run (about the average distance a soccer player covers in game) in, drumroll, 90 minutes....at 102 years old

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauja_Singh

Yeah, yeah, I know he likely didn't sprint, but soccer players maybe sprint 10-20% of the time for short bursts. They are not sprinting full bore for 90 minutes.

That said, I respect the skills of soccer players, but they aren't magical athletic specimens because they can jog, walk, and occasionally sprint over 90 minutes.
    I appreciate you making a "sport whose athletes are likely going to have a heart attack" list..but it's not needed in this discussion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, my Splits exposing the fraudulent fatbol crew arguments ITT

Keep it up tbh scro
    Yeah, exposed them by shifting from "they're all fat" to "13.8% body fat is really not that good!"

Never mind the fact that a person with that amount of body fat will look more "shredded" than something like this:

Rooney is probably around 18-20% there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I appreciate you making a "sport whose athletes are likely going to have a heart attack" list..but it's not needed in this discussion.
    Having no argument so you resort to memes.

Find me a floptrot "athlete" on the level of this guy:

- 6'6", 240lb
    - 4.5 40 yard dash time
    - 35" vertical
    - Can hit a baseball 500 feet

Ronaldo and his 30" vertical and 4.7 40

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah, exposed them by shifting from "they're all fat" to "13.8% body fat is really not that good!"

Never mind the fact that a person with that amount of body fat will look more "shredded" than something like this:

bringing up rooney again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait...I'm high as but do you mean if the kid wants to stay fit or you?

^"I'm a doctor"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So when you 're 8% body fat, you automatically look more tan? I mean, yeah, of course I knew that.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ^"I'm a doctor"
    DMC...ok ok i apologize...i just wanted to feel like i made it just for once. I got to piss in a bag man

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    you have to admit you need real strength to hit the ball in baseball, the thing is that homeruns rarely occur..most of the time hitters just seem to be depending on luck to hit a ball.. Baseball is more boring to watch than football, american football and baseball go head to head as the most boring sports to watch.

but again I ain't gonna lie you need strength in baseball but whenever I watch the MLB and see a fat dude I change the channel, you're never gonna find a fatso in football on top teams.. the majority of them live a strict and healthy life, get plenty of sleep and all of that.. Probably the most healthy athlete out there.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    "Luck"

Let's get you in a batting cage and see how "lucky" you get. Keep in mind that hitters are going up against professional pitchers who can throw a ball 90+ mph and are trying to get them out. They're not going to serve up hits and homers on a silver platter all the time. Luck has nothing to do with it - it's a matter of skill vs. skill, and whose skill wins out.

What baseball haters don't seem to get is that pitching and defense can be just as entertaining as offense. Yes, it's fun to watch an electric offense pile up runs on the scoreboard. But it's also fun to watch a tense pitchers' duel in October, or players like Travis Pillar, George Springer and Alex Gordon pull off Web Gems in the field.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you have to admit you need real strength to hit the ball in baseball, the thing is that homeruns rarely occur..most of the time hitters just seem to be depending on luck to hit a ball.. Baseball is more boring to watch than football, american football and baseball go head to head as the most boring sports to watch.

but again I ain't gonna lie you need strength in baseball but whenever I watch the MLB and see a fat dude I change the channel, you're never gonna find a fatso in football on top teams.. the majority of them live a strict and healthy life, get plenty of sleep and all of that.. Probably the most healthy athlete out there.
    I don't get floptrot fans obsession with weight/physique?

If you want to get critical in that regard, this guy's body is absolute . Almost non-existent muscle tone. Looks like he never lifted a weight in his life.

Oh, but he's "skinny" and therefore "fit."

Furthermore, being fat does not keep you from being fit. Rugby is a far more demanding game regarding stamina and endurance (tackling a 250lb beast without pads is a lot more tiring than jogging around for 30 seconds), and a lot of rugby players look like this.

And hitting is based on luck. You really don't know what you're talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the average size of an MLB player is 6'2" 190, so I don't get the "fatball" designation.
    Whenever you read anything Mid has to say about beisbl, just remember this lie.

By his own data, the average fatballer is 6'1" 223lbs with 14% body fat. Yet he chooses to lie while defending the fatties.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Luck"

Let's get you in a batting cage and see how "lucky" you get. Keep in mind that hitters are going up against professional pitchers who can throw a ball 90+ mph and are trying to get them out. They're not going to serve up hits and homers on a silver platter all the time. Luck has nothing to do with it - it's a matter of skill vs. skill, and whose skill wins out.

What baseball haters don't seem to get is that pitching and defense can be just as entertaining as offense. Yes, it's fun to watch an electric offense pile up runs on the scoreboard. But it's also fun to watch a tense pitchers' duel in October, or players like Travis Pillar, George Springer and Alex Gordon pull off Web Gems in the field.
    Most baseball haters are people who never played the game, so they don't really understand the extreme degree of difficulty in such common baseball actions as fielding a routine groundball at 3rd base and throwing a speedy runner out. It looks easy on TV and you really don't get the scale of the dimensions involved. A routine throw from 3rd to 1st can be anywhere from 130 to 100 feet. That's nearly half the distance of a football field on the top end and longer than a basketball court on the bottom end. Get one of the soccer crew to try to make that throw, and they probably ain't making it past the pitcher's mound on the fly

Even the super-common action of throwing 95 mph fastballs is pretty amazing. Krapernick has one of the strongest arms in the NFL (rated 2 overall) and his fastball topped out at 90mph.

And then you see like this and it's just mindblowing, far more mindblowing and impressive than one of Wardell's cute little stepback 3's from 30 feet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whenever you read anything Mid has to say about beisbl, just remember this lie.

By his own data, the average fatballer is 6'1" 223lbs with 14% body fat. Yet he chooses to lie while defending the fatties.
    You're still spinning with this ?

I guess you're taking the Da_Suns_Fan angle of blowing up an insignificant oversight and acting like it undermines the whole argument.

Here's some simple questions, and if you're intellectually as honest as you proclaim, you'll answer them unbiasedly.

1. Is 13.8% considered "fat" by any health metric in existence?

(if no)

2. How does your "fatball" description make sense when the average MLB player has that body fat percentage?

I await some sort of deflection, but I will hold out hope that I'm pleasantly surprised.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be all for the swimming recommendation but do not chemical grossness and gawd knows what else in public pools skeeve you at all?

One of many: cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/aquatics-professionals/chloramines.html
    Doesn't your socially awkard ass have a story about public pools? benefactor what did this fool do again?

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    "Luck"

I don't hate baseball, baseball is my families favorite sport down in Mexico, had an uncle that was really good at it and a cousin that has quite an arm... Watching it live or playing it is more fun then watching it through tv son

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I don't get floptrot fans obsession with weight/physique?

If you want to get critical in that regard, this guy's body is absolute . Almost non-existent muscle tone. Looks like he never lifted a weight in his life.

Oh, but he's "skinny" and therefore "fit."

Furthermore, being fat does not keep you from being fit. Rugby is a far more demanding game regarding stamina and endurance (tackling a 250lb beast without pads is a lot more tiring than jogging around for 30 seconds), and a lot of rugby players look like this.

And hitting is based on luck. You really don't know what you're talking about.
    I still feel like Football is quite demanding, if you or me did any of their drills we would guarantee die right in the spot son.. and to be fair every player in each sport is framed accordingly to the physical demands of the sport, in football you don't need muscles because it would only slow you down, football players still lift but they don't lift heavy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still feel like Football is quite demanding, if you or me did any of their drills we would guarantee die right in the spot son.. and to be fair every player in each sport is framed accordingly to the physical demands of the sport, in football you don't need muscles because it would only slow you down, football players still lift but they don't lift heavy
    What's this prove? I would "die" on the spot right now if I did any intensive basketball, football, or baseball drills and workouts.

But I'm biased toward lifting because I always found it much more demanding than cardio drills. Most involved in fitness do as well.

Anyhow, the misconception people have about baseball is that because it's not a sport where players are in constant movement, strength and conditioning must not be as intensive in other sports. Nothing could be further from a truth. Runs are at a high premium in baseball, so having fast players who can beat out throws, rob base hits and strong players who can hit for extra bases and throw out runners is essential.

Here's Klay Thompson's brother Trayce gearing up to a speed of 22mph (which is a faster speed than the 21.8mph record speed Antonio Valencia reached in the EPL) to rob a basehit and save a run.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/7395516...make-the-catch

You don't get that athleticism sitting around eating burgers.

Are there some fatties in baseball? Sure. But they're usually relief pitchers and DH's, and I would guess the fatty ratio in baseball is the same as it is in the NBA (there's a lot of fat bigs in the NBA, both now and historically).

The vast majority of baseball players are highly athletic, as shown by the league average 6.9 second 60 yard dash time (converts into a 4.69 40 time) and 28" vertical leap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're still spinning with this ?

I guess you're taking the Da_Suns_Fan angle of blowing up an insignificant oversight and acting like it undermines the whole argument.

Here's some simple questions, and if you're intellectually as honest as you proclaim, you'll answer them unbiasedly.

1. Is 13.8% considered "fat" by any health metric in existence?

(if no)

2. How does your "fatball" description make sense when the average MLB player has that body fat percentage?

I await some sort of deflection, but I will hold out hope that I'm pleasantly surprised.
    1. By general population standards, no. By professional "athlete" making millions of dollars a year standards, yes. Hence, it didn't fit into the "athlete" category of the chart you posted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bruh, midnightpulp lost all credibility when he tried to argue prince fielder is faster than cristiano ronaldo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bruh, midnightpulp lost all credibility when he tried to argue prince fielder is faster than cristiano ronaldo
    Prince in high school was faster. Ronaldo's 40 time is absolute , behind many 300 lb NFL lineman.

Current Prince is not, though.

Thread Information