Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp - requesting an article on Brian Wright: how he got hired, was it wise and what to expect moving forward.
    Seconded

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fck it thirded

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just read some background on Brian Wright. It gave me a queasy feeling. I expected heavyweight basketball stuff, but what do I find? "Gender diversity."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just read some background on Brian Wright. It gave me a queasy feeling. I expected heavyweight basketball stuff, but what do I find? "Gender diversity."
    I wonder if he played any sports,dude is what 5'6?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubt it. He played on treadmill teams in Portland for years. He's older now and wants to cash them checks.

That being said, I doubt he fights a trade to Boston to be part of their playoff run
    He was at least getting All Star games callouts back then. There's no such incentive on the Spurs now. He'll probably go join forces with some other start, still collect paychecks and get some personal accolade, which is what he really cares about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blameless?!?! , Pop is obviously the principal culprit.
    I only mentioned it bc it’s a thread criticizing the FO and in this team that can’t be separated from Pop and what he does with the talent he’s given and the talent he doesn’t want to let go off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was at least getting All Star games callouts back then. There's no such incentive on the Spurs now. He'll probably go join forces with some other start, still collect paychecks and get some personal accolade, which is what he really cares about.
    Don’t know how that’s fair to say with what we’ve seen past two seasons. Things were tough, more than most knew behind the scenes, and he dedicated himself both off seasons and played fantastic basketball and drug SA to the playoffs.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed - but they did choose the win now route and are not winning. That is a failure then.

Yes they did. And if Wright is responsible for that, it's an epic level fail on his part. It's strategy and tactics. I disagreed with the strategy (still do). But once you've chosen, you have to commit to supporting it tactically.

Honestly, I think we've reached a point where we will know how strong of a GM Brian Wright is by whether or not the Spurs make any trades before the deadline.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its ok guys luka samwich will be really good in 4 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don’t know how that’s fair to say with what we’ve seen past two seasons. Things were tough, more than most knew behind the scenes, and he dedicated himself both off seasons and played fantastic basketball and drug SA to the playoffs.
    I don't know that's fair to say either. He's a good third banana player, that clearly cares enough about basketball to get his numbers. He's not a leader of anything, never been, and we barely made the cut to the playoffs those last two seasons (both times 7th in the west, tied with the 8th seed, clearly playoff fodder).

Respect your opinion, but he's had plenty of help in San Antonio, from Duncan, to Manu, to Kawhi, to some extent DeRozan now, and he's always been the one complaining about his touches, get traded, how he wants to go back to Portland...

I don't want a threadmill team led by a perennial loser. He can go get his last All Star callout somewhere else, and his paychecks too. There's plenty of tanking teams that will welcome him with open arms. He probably still have decent cred in Portland to go back there.

He's a tall Carmelo Anthony, IMO, talented player, wasted in a loser at ude.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not surprised tbh,Pop and RC busy burning down the house that Peter Holt built in political spite.
    Julianna Holt was Trump's largest SA based donor at 250G the legal maximum in the 2016 election cycle.

I mean ,it sure seems Pop is trying to sabotage the Spurs...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not surprised tbh,Pop and RC busy burning down the house that Peter Holt built in political spite.
    Julianna Holt was Trump's largest SA based donor at 250G the legal maximum in the 2016 election cycle.

I mean ,it sure seems Pop is trying to sabotage the Spurs...
    Make that half a million...
    https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...rom-south.html

No wonder Peter had an alcohol problem...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest crisis in San Antonio in more than 20 years comes at the worst possible time.

No Bufford at the GM and unproven subs ute.

Worst Popovich season ever.

No strong assistant coaches able to become NBA Head Coach.

No winners pedegree players on the court.

No leaders in the locker room and young stars looking terrible (Murray, White)

Not a great 2020 draft class.

Devalued assets all around the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only thing a Spurs gm will do going forward is show up to the draft lottery thing and smile. It wasn't clear that DeroZan, a serviceable shooter when he was traded, would be so limited, and he's been as good as he's supposed to be. Lma has regressed. People want to blame bertans for offensive woes, but ignore Derrick white regressing?

If you told me , after the three all stars retire, Spurs would make the playoffs once and then start a three year tank I'd be happy. People are going out of their minds trying to create a false ceiling and false flexibility for this team. I give the GM the official sniffer seal of approval for effort.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know that's fair to say either. He's a good third banana player, that clearly cares enough about basketball to get his numbers. He's not a leader of anything, never been, and we barely made the cut to the playoffs those last two seasons (both times 7th in the west, tied with the 8th seed, clearly playoff fodder).

Respect your opinion, but he's had plenty of help in San Antonio, from Duncan, to Manu, to Kawhi, to some extent DeRozan now, and he's always been the one complaining about his touches, get traded, how he wants to go back to Portland...

I don't want a threadmill team led by a perennial loser. He can go get his last All Star callout somewhere else, and his paychecks too. There's plenty of tanking teams that will welcome him with open arms. He probably still have decent cred in Portland to go back there.

Signing LMA was the real watershed moment for the Spurs - not the later Pau and Patty signings.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Dude is gonna GM yall out of a lotto pick.
    Spurs about to win 4 of 5 or 6 of 7 ...
    That murray extension not looking like the steal i predicted, but its early ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With what we have seen so far and what we have ahead, what is the pulse of Spurs fans with the new GM?

We’ve read that Brian played an integral role in the decision to bring DeRozan in. Fair to judge him on that decision? He brought in a guy in Carroll that quite frankly looks bad and can’t even crack the rotation on a losing team with no upside. Is that on him after seeing what this team needed after a full season with LMA/DeRozan together?

Knowing that the franchise is at a major cross-roads and will have to make some tough decisions soon; trade DeRozan/LMA and more in a blow up? Trade one for pieces to fit better around one or the other?

What are your feelings and confidence level that Brian Wright is up to the task of ushering in the next era for SA? Does he have what it takes to guide SA and make smart decisions that build for the future? Does he have the pull to do anything of note and creative?

Thoughts...
    I feel like I was the only one who was questioning the GM, including RC, while everyone was attacking Pop, Aldridge and Demar. The Gasol and Mills signings were bad. Picking up Aldridge's option year made no sense either. Most of that is on RC, tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://airalamo.com/2019/07/22/san-...-brian-wright/

Googled Brian Wright too. Here it says White and Murray were picks he had a big hand in.
    Does anyone like the theory that it was Brian Wright that kawhi hated and was the reason he left?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On paper and with logical rotations/proper coaching, the team should probably be a 5-8 seed.

But he ain't coaching and we all know who has the final say with all FO moves in the organization.

This show isn't on him (at least not with the info we have available), it's on the old man doing his best to make sure this franchise is ed for years to come.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that there’s trade rumors flying around. Maybe he doesn’t wanna stand pat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But the two seasons ago, there was no Kawhi and he was pulling all kinds of crap and LMA was the one to right the ship, keep guys together and make the playoffs. 8th, 7th seed or whatever, that is leadership.

Then with DeRozan in the fold and loss of Danny Green and Dejounte, he did it again.

I get what you are saying and there is plenty of evidence of that, but there has been a turn around for LMA in SA IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel like I was the only one who was questioning the GM, including RC, while everyone was attacking Pop, Aldridge and Demar. The Gasol and Mills signings were bad. Picking up Aldridge's option year made no sense either. Most of that is on RC, tho.
    Very true. RC and Pop (I think Pop has the strongest voice outside of the draft) have really faltered the past few years when looked at a micro picture. But I find it hard to get too pissed at anything pre-Kawhi since flaws and all they were a contender still. Kind of feels nit picky to hate on smaller moves when you are still a contender.

But post Kawhi? You are feeling the after effects of some of the with-Kawhi moves that weren’t so good which is understandable. But pushing that aside and looking only post-Kawhi, it’s been pretty bad.

Choosing DeRozan, poor free agency efforts, no aggressive trades, not committing to their decision to win-now, guaranteeing LMA for no reason (although that appears to not be set in stone, but judging on how bad they harm themselves in the name of loyalty, I can’t imagine they would move up the date of the guarantee if they weren’t planning on doing it), etc..

So we don’t know how involved Brian has been but it’s 100% not fair to pin everything on him; at worst, it is this year you can start to question him some (Carroll, no other aggressive re-shaping of the roster). But this is the biggest crossroads this franchise has seen in 20+ years (not counting Duncan possibly leaving as a FA to ORL).

So this GM is going to be insanely critical even if the organization always pools ideas/decisions. I don’t know if having a rookie GM was the right move knowing that LMA/DeRozan were likely on the way out even if SA made the playoffs and this on the horizon. This start to the season just expedited things (but it shouldn’t have been totally unexpected). I expected to be a playoff team, but even with that without any other moves everyone knew that was the ceiling with no real shot to get to the WCF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA gonna get his wish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude is gonna GM yall out of a lotto pick.
    Spurs about to win 4 of 5 or 6 of 7 ...
    That murray extension not looking like the steal i predicted, but its early ...
    Look, Spurs losing no matter what and the schedule gets tougher. Hard to say anything he’s done has kept the Spurs from losing

But he has a big trade deadline coming up. He has to nail this (and by nail it, I mean make wise decisions and pick a lane - move some players and try to win now or move LMA/Rudy/DeRozan and focus on the future heavily).

I’m not worried about the Murray deal; no matter what at that price there is little risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On paper and with logical rotations/proper coaching, the team should probably be a 5-8 seed.

But he ain't coaching and we all know who has the final say with all FO moves in the organization.

This show isn't on him (at least not with the info we have available), it's on the old man doing his best to make sure this franchise is ed for years to come.
    Yessir! Exactly.

Thread Information