Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, his aggressiveness is needed. Totally agree with that. I hope they don’t try to fix him too soon and get him overwhelmed and confused.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, his aggressiveness is needed. Totally agree with that. I hope they don’t try to fix him too soon and get him overwhelmed and confused.
    ^ this.

Spurstalk would but Patfo won’t!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake Wesley basically needs the same development like DJ. Work on his shot. Work on his finishing. Work on his handle. Work on his decision making. Spurs did it with DJ and Wesley is a gym rat so I believe he will get there
    Wesley >>>> DJ

If DJ got to be an AS, I’d bet Wesley will be and not just a borderline at that. While still very raw, Wesley has more complete game than DJ, outside shot, fearlessly attacking the rim with contact (fans would only wish DJ would do), more natural ballhandler and facilitator, motor, equally fast in pushing the tempo but able to attack and suck the defense because of better offensive skills than DJ. Eventually DJ would get moved because Wesley will for sure pass him imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How about Blake to Westbrook comparisons...play same to me...so wes could be his mentor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly Blake has wayyyyyy more offensive game then DJ coming into his 1st year did. Blake just needs to clean up the decision making and continue being consistent with his shot

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly Blake has wayyyyyy more offensive game then DJ coming into his 1st year did. Blake just needs to clean up the decision making and continue being consistent with his shot
    Exactly. Wesley is a much more natural player. If he works half as hard as they say Dejounte does, we should be fine at the point long term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow he looks so much taller since the Summer League

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s a gym rat……. May end up being a huge steal! DJ will hate BW in a few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got a few things going for him that you just can't teach or obtain through hard work:
    (1) quick twitch muscles and a lightning first step.
    (2) Length
    (3) his X-rays show he's got that dawg in him. He's a gamer. Has pride. Couple that compe ive spirit with his penchant for being a gym rat and that's a recipe for turning coal into diamonds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His Impact contact is going to freak out if he shows him some restaurant menus in SA.....

Love the drive in this Kid. As I said in another thread they seem to have gone for kids who are uber compe ive.
    He may have the highest ceiling of the three picks.
    Of course as a 25th pick- he's got flaws. They are all POTENTIALY correctable- but tricky
    Improve his shot and decision making while retaining his aggresiveness

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's got a few things going for him that you just can't teach or obtain through hard work:
    (1) quick twitch muscles and a lightning first step.
    (2) Length
    (3) his X-rays show he's got that dawg in him. He's a gamer. Has pride. Couple that compe ive spirit with his penchant for being a gym rat and that's a recipe for turning coal into diamonds.
    Yeah, agree with all of them, and I think your 3rd point is what might separate him from players in the past that have had physical attributes and washed out of the league cause they didn't have much game. This kid is willing to work hard and is compe ive. I wish nothing but the best for him. I'm already a fan of his. Hopefully Malaki and Jeremy are the same compe ive and work rate wise. Could have three really good ones on our hands from the same draft.

His Impact contact is going to freak out if he shows him some restaurant menus in SA.....

Love the drive in this Kid. As I said in another thread they seem to have gone for kids who are uber compe ive.
    He may have the highest ceiling of the three picks.
    Of course as a 25th pick- he's got flaws. They are all POTENTIALY correctable- but tricky
    Improve his shot and decision making while retaining his aggresiveness
    Pretty good take on it. He's got lots to work on, but it's all there for him if he's willing to learn and work. He could be great. I hope he reaches it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has Wesley LEARNED how to make a pass yet?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh Lort give the kid a break he is only 19 years old and he played in Summer League - Spurs swung for the fences in the kid and I think it could be a home run. Yeah he has to iron things out but he is pick 25 again he is pick 25 so don’t get ur panties in a twist if it takes him a year or two to be what you think he can be. Lol

One thing is that all 4 kids have great parents and understand the meaning of hard work - Malaki is the same but he might be to hard the dude is a perfectionist and wants every thing to be perfect and is willing to put in the long hours to achieve that. One thing that I love about Blake is he like DJM has that dog in him he won’t back down and I think all 4 of our draft picks have that which is refreshing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​​​​​​
    Funny how this quote from Wesley could relate to DJ being too out there, not the Spursy way we fans were accustomed to, and could be subconsciously saying off his conversation with the PATFO: “Whatever Pop tells me to say or tells me to do, I’m gonna do it. They want me to go in there to be a point guard, so I’m gonna have to keep my point guard skills, get better, get stronger and be ready to work.”

There was no intention on retaining blubber-mouth DJ imo for a lot of reasons, especially after drafting Blake who I’m sure Pop is salivating as his future starting PG. Blake may not have the craftiness of a Tony Parker at that age, but as sure as got the dawg in him to become great.
    Last edited by John B; 07-23-2022 at 10:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ​​​​​​

Funny how this quote could relate to DJ being too out there, not the Spursy way we fans were accustomed to: “Whatever Pop tells me to say or tells me to do, I’m gonna do it. They want me to go in there to be a point guard, so I’m gonna have to keep my point guard skills, get better, get stronger and be ready to work.”

There was no intention on retaining blubber-mouth DJ imo for a lot of reasons, especially after drafting Blake who I’m sure Pop is salivating as his future starting PG. Blake may not have the craftiness of a Tony Parker at that age, but as sure as got the dawg in him to become great.
    Pop isn’t going to be around for Wesley to be his future PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop isn’t going to be around for Wesley to be his future PG.
    Man you’re a party-pooper. Can’t I just have 5 minutes of my thoughts?

But it will be a breath of fresh air to have your starting point guard echoing the Coach. It’s early but I think Wesley is a soldier who’s going to just play hard and be coached. I didn’t say DJ didn’t work hard, but he’s someone who when cornered will throw punches on everybody with eyes closed. Soldiers get killed from friendly fire. You need a leader like Tony (man that would be hard to follow) but will not cower despite the toughest grueling from Pop, remained true because he knew the challenges of being the leader.

Anyways, it’s early but I see a lot of dawg in Wesley to overcome challenges. So hoping he’s not another DJ with all talk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but what if Blake Wesley likes strip clubs? Does that mean we have to trade him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but what if Blake Wesley likes strip clubs? Does that mean we have to trade him?
    Do the strippers stir his drink with their D? Might get a pass as we value diversity here within the prestigious San Antonio Spurs organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs can definitely use a good chucker

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Has Wesley LEARNED how to make a pass yet?
    4 assists per game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry, guys like this don't get confused.

They just don't, it's not in their nature.

They might suck, they might be ineffective, but they won't be confused (i.e., paralyzed to the point of inaction). Just won't happen.

The Westbrook comparison is apt in one way, but inapt in a more important and telling way.

The comparison is valid because they both don't get confused, no matter what. You could put them in a hall of mirrors, and they wouldn't blink -- they would just charge ahead toward something, some image, head down and confident.

The comparison is inapt because, from the limited snippets I've seen, Wesley can shoot (or at least has the capacity to) from midrange and even three-point land. That's a huge difference. He could be a three-level scorer like Branham (but with completely different avenues to get to that same destination).

Unlike Westbrook, I don't see excessive individualism being a problem. Wesley grew up in a working class burg and went to college in that same place -- a soul-crushing conformist cult of a college.

He'll be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't worry, guys like this don't get confused.

They just don't, it's not in their nature.

They might suck, they might be ineffective, but they won't be confused (i.e., paralyzed to the point of inaction). Just won't happen.

The Westbrook comparison is apt in one way, but inapt in a more important and telling way.

The comparison is valid because they both don't get confused, no matter what. You could put them in a hall of mirrors, and they wouldn't blink -- they would just charge ahead toward something, some image, head down and confident.

The comparison is inapt because, from the limited snippets I've seen, Wesley can shoot (or at least has the capacity to) from midrange and even three-point land. That's a huge difference. He could be a three-level scorer like Branham (but with completely different avenues to get to that same destination).

Unlike Westbrook, I don't see excessive individualism being a problem. Wesley grew up in a working class burg and went to college in that same place -- a soul-crushing conformist cult of a college.

He'll be fine.
    Who do you think has a higher upside Malaki or Blake?

Thread Information