Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they realize Dirk's window is closing soon so they are making one last push for a le before he walks off into the sunset. There will be to pay when he finally decides to hang up the laces though since they are mortgaging off their future.
    Mortgaging their future? By giving up a late first rounder, a second round pick, and three scrubs? Are you telling me Joe Crowder and Brandan Wright were their future?

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Rondo 1, CP3

Shhhhhh!
    Remind me again who took that 1 out of the case, Jorge?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you telling me Joe Crowder and Brandan Wright were their future?
    Days of Future Past, son

But srsly, Im not worried by this trade

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LKRfan

Why should you care? Just go and enjoy 7-21 nights for the next 55-60 games this year and next.
    Is it NOT obvious?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think they realize Dirk's window is closing soon so they are making one last push for a le before he walks off into the sunset. There will be to pay when he finally decides to hang up the laces though since they are mortgaging off their future.
    They haven't mortgaged much IMO. Their draft picks have been late lottery & it's tough. They havent traded too many future picks & when they are bad enough to get good picks then they will still have those (as of now). Definitely a slight risk/mortgage, but fair to try and win now. Tough to do both.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The mavericks approach to their roster is flawed in my view. They have no clue how to draft -they don't value their number one picks at all - they are not terrific at player development either. Most of their #1 picks stick around for a year or two and are then dealt for a veteran guy from another team.

As a result, they are constantly tearing up their roster resulting in zero continuity. They are going all in for this year, when it counts these guys may not know each other that well in the playoffs.

The owner and the GM in Dallas have no patience at all.
    Stupid take. There is a reason they don't have patience at this time. They are trying to win while Dirk is still a legit threat. Waiting for 4-5 years for draft picks to MAYBE pan out as decent players won't get the job done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should have kept Tyson in the first place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid take. There is a reason they don't have patience at this time. They are trying to win while Dirk is still a legit threat. Waiting for 4-5 years for draft picks to MAYBE pan out as decent players won't get the job done.
    yes let's make sure Dirk wins another one because he is so classy

That's the great thing with the Spurms, they have had the patience to build adequately to be consistently good for a long period of time; Jim Cuckan got 5 rings as a result

Mavs FO is just re ed

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Monta can shoot. Their entire team outside of Tyson/Rondo can.
    Was about to post the same thing.

Monta doesn't have a great 3pt percentage, but he takes a few too many pull-up threes and heat check shots. But when he is wide open and sets his feet, he's a pretty solid 3pt shooter, especially from the corner.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Can't wait to see them match up with the Splash Brothers. Call me crazy but the Mavs now have a dynamic backcourt. Speed killz.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

That's the great thing with the Spurms, they have had the patience to build adequately to be consistently good for a long period of time; Jim Cuckan got 5 rings as a result

Mavs FO is just re ed
    WTH are you talking about? The Spurs had the big 3 and a constant rotation of players around them over the past 10-15 years, and very few draft picks that ended up being longterm staples in their team. Most of their well known contributors over those years were from trades and FA, not draft picks.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Mavs FO is just re ed
    not every team deliberately tanks to get a future franchise player tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Remind me again who took that 1 out of the case, Jorge?

TammyPERI6D!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rondo always plays better in the POs and they have the best coach in the league, imo they're now up there as a top 5 favorite with the Spurs, the Cavs, Okc and the Warriors.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    congrats to muh Mavs brethren.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is not a bad move on paper but I think this Ronda boy is a locker room problem.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Mortgaging their future? By giving up a late first rounder, a second round pick, and three scrubs? Are you telling me Joe Crowder and Brandan Wright were their future?
    I'm talking about constantly trading away their 1st round draft picks, regardless if it's a late 1st rounder or not. You can still get good players to help supplement your teams talent later in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It MIGHT work, but I think a lot of the other WC teams will lean on their collective experience in playoffs. Rondo has had a lot of physical issues in recent years. The team is pretty thin up front too.

There is no young talent coming up in Dallas. Their last 3 #1 picks have now been dealt. The Spurs have drafted in same neighborhood as Dallas for a long time and have have a lot of guys drafted #1 that have played in the NBA for a long long time. Even guys like Beno Udrich and Mahimi, while not staying in SA, have been rotation players and contributors. SA has to get production from the draft - they can't go buy a roster.

Have the Mavericks drafted anyone good in the last decade? I'm not sure they have. Lots of busts along the way. Devin Harris might be the best pick and they got rid of him too for awhile.

I admit I wish failure on the Mavies every day of the week, so I hope it blows up in their collective faces. I believe Cuban simply could not stand seeing the Spurs win another le and he is doing everything in his power to throw together a championship roster on the fly. It probably won't work.
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 12-18-2014 at 06:56 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This just in from Akron:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fit or not, the only question is: Is Rondo better than Jameer Nelson? Even though Jameer could shoot better than Rondo he wasn't adding anything. Yes it's not an ideal fit, but Rondo is hands down better than Nelson. As long as Rondo isn't a locker room issue this was a no brainer "gamble". Worst case you S&T him or let him walk next year & your out the 22-26th pick in the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd round is still their ceiling and won't be a big upgrade. Non issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey mister LMAO Phillip,

You should know something about stupid with your old, tired act on ST.

Maybe if the Mavericks had a clue about drafting they would not have to do the volume of deals they do.

Maybe if they were a little better a selecting young talent in the draft, they would have won a few more les with Dirk instead of the one. They blew up their only championship caliber team (still flukish, but they did win the le) for pie in the sky free agent aspirations. The plan blew up in their freakin' face big time while the boring old spurs appeared in the NBA final four the last three years. Do you dispute that genius?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mavs aren't great at drafting but who is besides SA? Its true SA has done a great job drafting & rebuilding while contending but that's next to impossible to do. Mavs have done well enough with their strategies to be relevant for 10+ straight years. Spurs are in better shape going forward but nothing's guaranteed.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    When the smoke clears in the WC:

1) Mavs
    2) Spurs
    3) Golden State
    4) Clipps
    5) Rockets
    6) tlongs
    7) Suns
    8) ??

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    There is no young talent coming up in Dallas. Their last 3 #1 picks have now been dealt. The Spurs have drafted in same neighborhood as Dallas for a long time and have have a lot of guys drafted #1 that have played in the NBA for a long long time. Even guys like Beno Udrich and Mahimi, while not staying in SA, have been rotation players and contributors. SA to get production from the draft - they can't go buy a roster.
    That was my point about mortgaging the future. And that's what makes the Spurs such a great team, that Front Office has the knack of drafting good players in the later rounds of the draft to supplement their team.

Thread Information