Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    had to double take when i saw he was still just 26 years old tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The guy has underwhelmed being a top 8th overall pick in 2015. But I like him. He can push the ball, has range and plays tough defense. It's a toss between him and Sochan as Spurs best point-of-attack defender right now, imo. I'm rooting he'll make it with the Spurs.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great interview. After hearing that it is crystal clear why Brian likes likes him. He appears well-adjusted, he smiles a lot, and is articulate. I’m not saying that’s a recipe for drafting star players, but for a role player who plays great defense, I see him as a keeper, though not a difference maker, in the grand scheme of things, and if I am Romeo, I definitely better be saving my money because this might be his last year in the league or whenever this contract runs out, because I don’t see any way that Romeo stays and Stanley leaves, as far as who they prioritize moving forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Samanic played 26 minutes last night: 24 pts, 10 rb, 4 ast, 2 blks, 3 stls, +44 pt diff and we are signing Stanley Johnson to play PF.
    damn. i didn't even know there were still some samanic followers in existence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great interview. After hearing that it is crystal clear why Brian likes likes him. He appears well-adjusted, he smiles a lot, and is articulate. I’m not saying that’s a recipe for drafting star players, but for a role player who plays great defense, I see him as a keeper, though not a difference maker, in the grand scheme of things, and if I am Romeo, I definitely better be saving my money because this might be his last year in the league or whenever this contract runs out, because I don’t see any way that Romeo stays and Stanley leaves, as far as who they prioritize moving forward.
    Damn, Romeo has a gift for sensing how close he is to his career being over then pulls out a big performance. He did this earlier in the season, too. Hey, good game tonight. But wow is he inconsistent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys, if Trey Lyles career wasn't over after the Spurs, Langfords career won't be over after the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn, Romeo has a gift for sensing how close he is to his career being over then pulls out a big performance. He did this earlier in the season, too. Hey, good game tonight. But wow is he inconsistent.
    It’s deferring at ude, but that motor get switched when a Vassell is out and Langford is nudged to score as a starter. It’s like putting the ball on Branham’s hands and somehow he clicked. It’s up to Pop what would make Langford tick because he’s so talented, it’s getting the most out of a player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I continue to be unsure why Stanley Johnson wasn't on a team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imho we have as of now a collection of players that are full of phisical skills and talent but, for different reasons (health, bad coaching, bad organizations, too many supposedly more skilled players above them in the teams they were), never found the right environment to succeed... I mean Langford, Collins, Roby, Bates Diop, Bassey, Johnson... These guys at least have have actually big time potential at least as elite role players... I really like quite all the personnel choices made by the F. O. and I wouldn’t be surprised if (after this one stealth tanking/players developing the system season) quite all of them will be re signed next year with reasonable long term contracts... Expecially considering they all look like very good character guys...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imho we have as of now a collection of players that are full of phisical skills and talent but, for different reasons (health, bad coaching, bad organizations, too many supposedly more skilled players above them in the teams they were), never found the right environment to succeed... I mean Langford, Collins, Roby, Bates Diop, Bassey, Johnson... These guys at least have have actually big time potential at least as elite role players... I really like quite all the personnel choices made by the F. O. and I wouldn’t be surprised if (after this one stealth tanking/players developing the system season) quite all of them will be re signed next year with reasonable long term contracts... Expecially considering they all look like very good character guys...
    I agree with this but was thinking during the game last night I should photo shop Roby's picture on a milk carton as we haven't seen much of him or KBD lately. Then KBD checks in and reminds us why he has been buried on the bench lately.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see Lyles and Romeo as different players/potential. Mobile power forward who might be a three point shooter role player versus potential defensive stopper who usually lacks motivation. But we’ll see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s very similar with Sochan in a lot of ways (plus the 3pt range). Both can push the ball, bully a defender to the rim, while playing the best point-of-attack defense on the opponents best offensive player. Stanley seamlessly subs uted when Sochan sat-out for foul trouble. I never really followed the guy and I wonder how he’s a journeyman, because he seems a perfect 3andD plus more. I’m rooting for Stanley to make it with the Spurs, who I think appreciates his defensive plays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn. i didn't even know there were still some samanic followers in existence.
    He is only 22 years old. Will turn 23 soon. This would be his rookie year if he were a four-year college player. He may make an NBA roster and become a rotational player at some point, still. We're gushing over 26-year-old Stanley, so there is time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is only 22 years old. Will turn 23 soon. This would be his rookie year if he were a four-year college player. He may make an NBA roster and become a rotational player at some point, still. We're gushing over 26-year-old Stanley, so there is time.
    Stanley us like Sochan who can potentially defend 1-5 so there’s a difference there, plus at ude, motor, much has been discussed. I’m one who rooted for Sananic and wish Spurs could give him another chance. But the comparison with Stanley is night and day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stanley us like Sochan who can potentially defend 1-5 so there’s a difference there, plus at ude, motor, much has been discussed. I’m one who rooted for Sananic and wish Spurs could give him another chance. But the comparison with Stanley is night and day.
    Stanely Johnson at the age of 23 averaged 2.4 ppg, playing 6 mpg. At the same age, bad things were said about him too. Bad at ude got him suspended and one GM even told him he was just a bad basketball player. Maybe night and day in their game, but the trajectory could very well be the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as always, the NBA is not "basketball" so samanic is good at basketball, but bad at being a team player. and being an NBA commodity the compe ion in the nba is pretty high, as a big, thats less true. But if you were a betting man you'd bet samamnic never does much in the NBA because most teams overvalue their own picks, and samanic has been a sore loser too many times to assume he'll mature. There's no problem with him turning on the light, being a good role player. but the spurs shouldn't pay him a cent until he gets it together.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Through last season Stanley was a career 30% 3PT shooter over a pretty big sample size (322/1074). He has managed to his 6 of his 12 threes with the Spurs, but unless he has really retooled his stroke somehow I would expect him to hit around 30% of his threes from now on. That's not nearly enough to be a credible threat.

Don't get me wrong, I have been quite impressed with him in his 8 games with the Spurs. While distance shooting is very important it isn't the whole game. I just don't think we should expect him to be even an average three point shooter from now on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I continue to be unsure why Stanley Johnson wasn't on a team.
    Yeah

And why has he bounced around so much. He's clearly got a good at ude and does the dirty work. Shot doesn't look completely broken

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so far, so good. Maybe it's a case of maturing due to the humility of realizing he was pretty close to playing somewhere where they don't speak a lot of English.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One other sobering thought too, is Stanley Johnson is a Brian Wright lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so far, so good. Maybe it's a case of maturing due to the humility of realizing he was pretty close to playing somewhere where they don't speak a lot of English.
    On more thorough look he did get suspended in Detroit for violating team rules. So maybe something has clicked.

One other sobering thought too, is Stanley Johnson is a Brian Wright lottery pick.
    That's concerning. However it was a pretty low quality draft. He was the 8th pick, but 3 players taken above him are not currently in the NBA, and while clearly se exceptions not huge numbers taken after him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah

And why has he bounced around so much. He's clearly got a good at ude and does the dirty work. Shot doesn't look completely broken
    Well, he got unlucky and got drafted by a dumpster fire organization, probably the biggest reason why he never fully developed into a player he could've been.
    Pelicans never used him for some reason, he was a part of that Mirotic trade. Another dumpster tier franchise, this was back before David Griffin took over, iirc.

Then he got to Toronto, but even though they're good at developing players, they already had way too many similar players. He did have some amazing defensive performances there, though.

He was very good for the Lakers last season, most fans rated him as the best role-player, but in usual Pelinka fashion, they didn't offer him a deal.

Not being picked up this summer is really surprising, though.

As I said before, during those years everyone was crazy about drafting the next nephew and imo Stanley had the potential to develop into 2014 version of nephew. But didn't have any luck with the teams he played for and now he's here.
    He will obviously never reach his full potential, but I think he's a class above KBD and should defininitely be offered a three year deal. Perfect backup forward.

Maybe I'm reaching, but Bruce was irrelevant until his late 20s and Danny didn't get a chance until he was 25.
    I don't think Stanley can become a shooter on their level, but he's a great defender and with some improvements on both ends of the floor, he can certainly be a great glue guy for any playoff roster.

If we talk about future and eventually becoming a playoff team again, since nephew and Danny left, we got killed by every decent wing even during the regular season. With Jeremy and Stanley, wingstop can become a thing again. Obviously not on the same level, but not so far off it, either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But a Detroit development project. Not really well known for producing top players out of the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It took Masai Ujiri of tor to tell stanley that he basically sucked at basketball to wake him up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi Leonard was drafted by the Pistons, he'd be a journeyman, too.

Thread Information