Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the Dems banning books and passing speech codes?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did your life change much from Trump to Biden?
    Not much, I don't think Biden is all that great, but I'm glad he thumped Trump.

I have family members consumed by political media and they see a villian. It's mostly just rich people arguing with each other in public so they can toast behind closed doors.
    I sort of agree with this. If our economic and political masters get us asking the wrong questions, they have little to fear from the answers we find.

I'm going to focus on you. On this board you are most interested in these topics such as CRT & Woke.
    Yeah, because Republicans are wrecking public education, passing laws that amount to viewpoint discrimination, and trying to drive minorities and lgtbqia folks out of the public square, instead of discussing it all with their kids, like you say should be done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a political discussion board, is there some kind of problem with posting about big Republican priorities like passing laws to coddle white backlash and phobia?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Not much, I don't think Biden is all that great, but I'm glad he thumped Trump.

I sort of agree with this. If our economic and political masters get us asking the wrong questions, they have little to fear from the answers we find.

Yeah, because Republicans are wrecking public education, passing laws that amount to viewpoint discrimination, and trying to drive minorities and lgtbqia folks out of the public square, instead of discussing it all with their kids, like you say should be done.
    Understand victory for defeating In bent President.

3rd point: are they wrecking or slowing/halting. Almost everything conservative arguably is a current norm/standard.

I empathize with modernizing with society and feel we have been doing good job.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'll stay on thread topic but let's not act like fear mongering is specific to one political party or ideology.
    Sure it exists everywhere, so the next step is to compare what we're afraid of. People on the left are afraid of, for example, being killed by law enforcement if they encounter the wrong trigger happy cop, while people on the right are afraid of, for example, their kids knowing about Jim Crow and that sexuals exist.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Sure it exists everywhere, so the next step is to compare what we're afraid of. People on the left are afraid of, for example, being killed by law enforcement if they encounter the wrong trigger happy cop, while people on the right are afraid of, for example, their kids knowing about Jim Crow and that sexuals exist.
    Law enforcement is a neutral en y such as a Ref

Climate change is a fear mongering issue

Is how the Tweet would read.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Law enforcement is a neutral en y such as a Ref
    You obviously don't know any cops.

Climate change is a fear mongering issue
    Whether you believe the science or not, it's still a comparison between fearing the massive effects of climate change and fearing your 9 year old seeing a man dressed like a woman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You obviously don't know any cops.

Whether you believe the science or not, it's still a comparison between fearing the massive effects of climate change and fearing your 9 year old seeing a man dressed like a woman.
    Smog and acid rain are hoaxes! Plus, it is natural for rivers to catch on fire. - Albert Eisteinsky

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All your books are contraband under the new speech code in Duval County Public Schools.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Accurate recounting of US history is a communist plot to make your white kids feel bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On this day in 1930, in Sherman, Texas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A live controversy involving a survivor of the massacre.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to Blight’s 2001 book Race and Reunion: The Civil War in American Memory, a commemoration organized by freed slaves and some white missionaries took place on May 1, 1865, in Charleston, S.C., at a former planters’ racetrack where Confederates held captured Union soldiers during the last year of the war. At least 257 prisoners died, many of disease, and were buried in unmarked graves, so black residents of Charleston decided to give them a proper burial.

Clubhouse at the race course where Union soldiers were held prisoner.
    Civil war photographs, 1861-1865, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.

In the approximately 10 days leading up to the event, roughly two dozen African American Charlestonians reorganized the graves into rows and built a 10-foot-tall white fence around them. An archway overhead spelled out “Martyrs of the Race Course” in black letters.

About 10,000 people, mostly black residents, participated in the May 1 tribute, according to coverage back then in the Charleston Daily Courier[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.95)] and the New York Tribune. Starting at 9 a.m., about 3,000 black schoolchildren paraded around the race track holding roses and singing the Union song “John Brown’s Body,” and were followed by adults representing aid societies for freed black men and women. Black pastors delivered sermons and led attendees in prayer and in the singing of spirituals, and there were picnics. James Redpath, the white director of freedman’s education in the region, organized about 30 speeches by Union officers, missionaries and black ministers. Participants sang patriotic songs like “America” and “We’ll Rally around the Flag” and “The Star-Spangled Banner.” In the afternoon, three white and black Union regiments marched around the graves and staged a drill.[/COLOR]
    https://time.com/5836444/black-memorial-day/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He captured Harper's Ferry with his nineteen men so true
    He frightened old Virginia till she trembled through and through
    They hung him for a traitor, they themselves the traitor crew
    But his soul goes marching on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    four bomb threats in four days, seems like this sort of thing is becoming standard on the right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    harassing random high schoolers now, over nothing.

the antiwoke are the biggest pussies in the world.

A handful of adults blocked the path of students leaving McCallum High School Tuesday and used a megaphone to tell the kids they were the “devil” and headed to .

Videos provided to the Chronicle and posted online show the adults filmed themselves laughing outside of McCallum before the school day ended. Later, as students tried to board their buses and as parents arrived to pick their kids up, the Christian group stood in the way and shouted things like, “if you had an abortion you’re going to because you are evil,” as well as anti-gay hate speech.

A video posted by the group shows that Austin ISD staff asked the men to move a few meters out of the way of the buses to allow kids to board, but they did not. Austin ISD police were also there to stand between the harassers and the students, but some parents still expressed alarm. “Very upsetting, with everyone wondering what to do,” one parent told the Chronicle. “Should we respond? Should we ignore? Just very unsettling that something like this could happen so close to a school.”

Parents were also concerned about what seemed to be vague threats. One of the men yelled that Jesus will “judge the living and the dead. That’s what he’s gonna do. I’ve already seen some transves e out here boo-hooing and crying. … God’s people will never comply with the Devil’s lies.”
    https://www.austinchronicle.com/dail...nts-at-school/

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That was my daughters school. Glad she is in college now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Westboro Baptist Church behavior used to be pretty universally despised, now their tactics are standard operating procedure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Westboro Baptist Church behavior used to be pretty universally despised, now their tactics are standard operating procedure.
    Agree/disagree.

It's worse now, Trumplandia coaxes and tends political violence.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Agree/disagree.

It's worse now, Trumplandia coaxes and tends political violence.
    Whereas you get down to the brass tacks on-the-spot>>>on-the-day Trump got sworn & moved into the White House with his wife & their only child by threatening to blow up the joint.

We ain't got nothin' on Russia & China, by God. Nary a thing. Nary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That was my daughters school. Glad she is in college now.
    Did they pick McCallum because it's an arts magnet? I'm struggling to find the motive here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    calling slave owners enslavers is biased

https://amp.miamiherald.com/news/loc...278582149.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    remind me, was slavery in the US race-based? was it white people exploiting black people, or the other way around?

we got to find some way to both sides this.

...in many instances, its reviewers also made objections in the state’s attempt to sanitize aspects of slavery and the plight of African Americans throughout history, according to a Miami Herald/Tampa Bay Times review of internal state comments.

For example, a lesson in the Advanced Placement course focused on how Europeans benefited from trading enslaved people and the materials enslaved laborers produced. The state objected to the content, saying the instructional approach “may lead to a viewpoint of an ‘oppressor vs. oppressed’ based solely on race or ethnicity.”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    a NC Supreme Court Justice talking about diversity to a legal newsletter is a firing offense

pretty much all these antiwoke laws are speech codes that ins utionalize viewpoint discrimination by the state against the people.

The Commission has indicated that it believes that Justice Earls’ commentson these issues of legitimate public concern potentially violate a provision of the Codewhich requires judges to conduct themselves “in a manner that promotes publicconfidence in the integrity and impartiality of the judiciary.”
    https://fingfx.thomsonreuters.com/gf...92023earls.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New to me, origin of the "grandfather clause."

"Because of the 15th Amendment, you can't pass laws saying blacks can't vote, which is what they wanted to do," says Eric Foner, a Columbia University historian. "But the 15th Amendment allowed restrictions that were nonracial. This was pretty prima facie a way to allow whites to vote, and not blacks."

Some state legislatures enacted grandfather clauses despite knowing they couldn't pass cons utional muster. The Louisiana state cons utional convention adopted a grandfather clause even though one of the state's own U.S. senators warned it would be "grossly uncons utional."

For that reason, nearly every state put a time limit on their grandfather clauses. They hoped to get whites registered before these laws could be challenged in court.
    "Once you've got people removed from the rolls, it becomes less necessary," Smethurst says. "The white people are on the rolls, and the black people are not."

African-Americans typically lacked the financial resources to file suit. The NAACP, founded in 1909, persuaded a U.S. attorney to challenge Oklahoma's grandfather clause, which had been enacted in 1910.
    Of the more than 55,000 blacks who were in Oklahoma in 1900, only 57 came from states that had permitted African-Americans to vote in 1867, according to Klarman's book From Jim Crow to Civil Rights: The Supreme Court and the Struggle for Racial Equality.

In 1915, the Supreme Court ruled unanimously in Guinn v. United States that grandfather clauses were uncons utional. The court in those days upheld any number of segregationist laws — and even in Guinn specified that literacy tests untethered from grandfather clauses were OK.

The justices were concerned that the grandfather clause was not only discriminatory but a clear attempt by a state to nullify the federal Cons ution. It "was so obvious an evasion that the Supreme Court could not have failed to declare it uncons utional," The Washington Post wrote at the time.

The decision had almost no effect, however. The Oklahoma Legislature met in special session to grandfather in the grandfather clause. The new law said those who had been registered in 1914 — whites under the old system — were automatically registered to vote, while African-Americans could only register between April 30 and May 11, 1916, or forever be disenfranchised.

That law stayed on the books until a Supreme Court ruling in 1939.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswi...dfather-clause

Thread Information