Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During the 1985 NBA season, Larry sustained an injury to his back while shoveling crushed rock to create a driveway at his mother’s house.

Larry Bird [2022 Update]: Wife, Career, Net worth & Family (playersbio.com)

The beginning of the end arrived in 1985 when Bird headed back to French Lick, Indiana. His mother’s home needed a new driveway, and, for all his fame and fortune, Larry Legend wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty.

Larry Bird Ruined His $24 Million Career by Building a Driveway for His Mother: 'I Was Wondering if I Was Gonna Be in a Wheelchair' (sportscasting.com)
    You're right, a lot of sources corroborating it as 85. Not sure if I remembered wrong or if where I read it was wrong in saying it was 1983.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty ing re ed of Bird, definitely sounds like they gave away the 85 Finals and he had a pretty series by his standards. Guess it was a gift back though after the way Magic and Worthy gave away the 84 Finals with a couple of boneheaded passes and dribbling out the clock. God a Lakers - Celtics series in 86 would have been a bloodbath Celtics victory though with how much of a cancer Maurice Lucas was and how far Abdul-Jabbar had fallen off. Would have probably hurt Magic's legacy a lot more than losing to Houston if he got his teeth kicked in by that ridiculous 86 Celtics team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The refs hosed the Pistons in game 7 with that BS call in the closing moments. The injury bug hosed the Lakers against the Pistons the following year.
    Turns out that was Riley's fault, running a ing training camp in their break before the Finals despite the Lakers being old as by 1989.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird is Kyle Korver with a green light in today's NBA

The athletes of today are better trained and more skilled, collectively than the players in the 80s. Better offensive and defensive schemes as well vs the antiquated stuff they ran back then.

I think Jordan would thrive in today's NBA, but wouldn't annihilate players athletically like he did back then. Many of today's NBA "scrubs" would do well in the 80s.
    No word on Magic and his amazing athletcism, I see.

What about Kobe (aka Jordan lite) in today's NBA? If Jordan can't annihilate players athletically like he did back then, Kobe would be a bench player in today's NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn for anyone who never saw the 86 Celtics play, pretty much every game from their 86 season is on youtube

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty ing re ed of Bird, definitely sounds like they gave away the 85 Finals and he had a pretty series by his standards. Guess it was a gift back though after the way Magic and Worthy gave away the 84 Finals with a couple of boneheaded passes and dribbling out the clock. God a Lakers - Celtics series in 86 would have been a bloodbath Celtics victory though with how much of a cancer Maurice Lucas was and how far Abdul-Jabbar had fallen off. Would have probably hurt Magic's legacy a lot more than losing to Houston if he got his teeth kicked in by that ridiculous 86 Celtics team.
    What's the Maurice Lucas story?

Turns out that was

Riley's fault, running a ing training camp in their break before the Finals despite the Lakers being old as by 1989.
    iirc they went 11-0 in the Western conference playoffs before the finals that year too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The West was ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the Maurice Lucas story?
    Lucas thought he was a star and demanded to be one there too when all the Lakers wanted was a rebounder, defender, and enforcer. Supposedly Lucas alienated the whole team which is why he wasn't brought back after one year. Was supposedly a black hole on offense.

iirc they went 11-0 in the Western conference playoffs before the finals that year too
    They just barely beat out Phoenix for the division le, the first two sweeps were against a crap Blazers team and a meh Sonics team, and even though they swept the Suns in the WCF 3 of the 4 games were really close. Riley decided to basically hold a second training camp for an old team that needed the rest they were afforded from sweeping Phoenix with that talented 63 win Pistons team still fuming from how close they came to a le the season before coming out of the East. Byron Scott tore his hamstring in a rebounding drill in that camp and then Magic tore his in Game 2, likely a result of that stupid training camp. Not that they would have had much of a chance. The 89 Pistons were better than the 88 Pistons and that 88 Pistons team came the 'phantom foul' from winning over the 88 Lakers team that was far superior to the 89 Lakers while having about a 10% Isiah in Game 7. So I would have still taken Pistons, but in 6 had Scott and Magic not gotten hurt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn for anyone who never saw the 86 Celtics play, pretty much every game from their 86 season is on youtube
    Thank you.

Need an occasional visual of 86 Celts vs 14 Spurs.

Given todays NBA.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Vs
    2017 Warriors
    2000 Lakers

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    1986 Celtics vs 2000 Lakers
    '14 Spurs vs '17 Warriors

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Where do these All Time Legit Champions place?
    How would they do vs each other?

Occasionally the NBA forum needs some legit Championship talk. You Laker posters can take a break and talk about hosiery on sale or some other Lakerworthy subject.
    86 Celtics in 4 tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    86 Celtics in 4 tbh
    LOL the 86 Rockets took them to 6

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    LOL the 86 Rockets took them to 6
    Dream, if drafted by the Spurs in 97 instead of Jim, would have 7 rangs.

Dream >> JimPERID

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Occasionally the NBA forum needs some legit Championship talk. You Laker posters can take a break and talk about hosiery on sale or some other Lakerworthy subject.

Dream >> JimPERID
    El Cerdo why don't you go shopping?

– Beverly Hills Hosiery

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Dream >> JimPERID
    If the Lakers drafted McGrady instead of snitch they'd have been a really tough matchup for Olajuwon's Spurs and Hakeem probably doesn't get to 7.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    If the Lakers drafted McGrady instead of snitch they'd have been a really tough matchup for Olajuwon's Spurs and Hakeem probably doesn't get to 7.
    Touché

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Bird vs Leonard is the highlight of the series

On paper I prefer '86 Celtics. Walton vs Diaw/Splitter.

Spurs make it a series with the 3-ball but the Celtics get too many easy baskets in the post against an aging Duncan. All that Boston size vs 03/04 Duncan would be something.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I think Bird torches Leonard.

Bird vs Leonard is the highlight of the series

On paper I prefer '86 Celtics. Walton vs Diaw/Splitter.

Spurs make it a series with the 3-ball but the Celtics get too many easy baskets in the post against an aging Duncan. All that Boston size vs 03/04 Duncan would be something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Bird torches Leonard.
    And Kawhi would torch Bird on the other end

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk...I can easily imagine Leonard stuffing Bird's shot multiple times. He wasn't used to dealing with that kind of length and athleticism.

Bird would have his moments too. He'd use his intelligence and fakes to get plenty of shots off. But it wouldn't be a domination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure who the Celtics are going to have guard Porker, but if it's Ainge i can see lots of fast breaks for Porker.

OTOH Celtics are definitely smart enough to get Ainge shots over smaller Porker.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Idk...I can easily imagine Leonard stuffing Bird's shot multiple times. He wasn't used to dealing with that kind of length and athleticism.

Bird would have his moments too. He'd use his intelligence and fakes to get plenty of shots off. But it wouldn't be a domination.
    Rodman was a better defender than Kawhi, IMO - and he did well against him.

But Lefty is correct that Kawhi does his thing against Bird as well.

Thread Information