Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It is when you're constantly having to play weak side D because your perimeter defenders keep getting beat.

And you are right about one thing. It wasn't just Bryn. It was DeMar. It was Marco. It was Patty. It was Murray. It was Lonnie. It was all of them really, perhaps without the consistent contribution if failure, from DWhite.

If you firm up the perimter D, LMA can still shine defensively even at 34. He's still got plenty left, is strong as an ox, and has plenty of quickness even to hang with guards on switches.
    exactly. Not to mention he will get way more easy shots because all those guys can set him up on offense. LaMarcus fits. You might just have to reduce his minutes a little and give more to Poeltl cause he will have to run up and down the court more
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 08-20-2020 at 08:19 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares about Jokic & Embiid - they're the only 2 dominant bigs left & one will likely never be in the Western Conference. His foul trouble was predominantly from ticky tak screen fouls, not when he was guarding those 2.
    I'm not so sure embid never plays in the west. Philly is going to make a decision to move at least one of their main guys this summer if they can. Harris and Horford will be hard to move in this climate and that leaves either Simmons or Embid. In a smaller ball nba they might choose to keep Simmons. I'm not sure what kind of value he brings back though. Bigs aren't valued....big salary...injury prone....but alot of talent....

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Could Eubanks offer cheaper/similar rim protection and close range offense if given the minutes?
    No. Eubanks is better on offense, but on Defense its like day and night. Eubanks is more active, but he is not able to anchor a Defense like Poeltl. Its no coincidence, that the Spurs played best with Poeltl on the court. A fact that many overlook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him. Get value. He's not worth much long term here. This team needs a FULL REBUILD.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob Poeltl says it is 'realistic' he will stay with the Spurs

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/j...with-the-spurs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade him. Get value. He's not worth much long term here. This team needs a FULL REBUILD.
    Agreed!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob Poeltl says it is 'realistic' he will stay with the Spurs

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/j...with-the-spurs
    He also said in an interview today that probably it would have been better to accept the extension offer from the Spurs because of the pandemic.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He also said in an interview today that probably it would have been better to accept the extension offer from the Spurs because of the pandemic.
    I must have missed it, what extension offer did he mean?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is cheap definitely keep him but if price goes up do a sign and trade.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I must have missed it, what extension offer did he mean?
    Rookie extension before th season. The Spurs seem to have offered him an extension.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't care what Poeltl wants nor should he influence a potential Aldridge trade (sure, that should be pursued if as expected he plans to leave in a year anyway, but not for that reason).

Offer him 3-4 years at $6-8 million annually. If he receives an offer sheet in the range of $8-10 million annually, match it. If for some reason (Spurs luck) it's above, then there's a decision to be made. If it's to cut bait, try working out a sign and trade. No more giving away assets, especially at positions of need.
    Last edited by TD 21; 08-21-2020 at 04:36 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if the interview they are referring to is the video from this article:

**Looks like video is region blocked.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was a press conference with him today in Vienna.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll be back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I bet Murray is thanking his lucky stars that he signed the extension he did.

Jakob’s agent must have got him back down to reality. He won’t be the only one affected by the current COVID outlook. I suspect it will trickle down to others as well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched the press conference. Two interesting details that aren't mentioned in the article or on twitter:

1) If he had to choose between a good situation (playing time, success, team chemistry) tand more money, he wouldn't choose the money.
    2) He sees his future not on a team, which won around 20 games this season, because he is not the player that improves such a team to 40 wins with scoring 30 ppg. But he can he can help a team that's already successful with doing the dirty work and making a difference.

That doesn't sound like he wants to go to teams like Detroit or Charlotte.
    Last edited by ragas; 08-21-2020 at 04:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Q. Can / will the Spurs win a Championship with Poodle playing C starting and playing large minutes?

a. No

He's got some game but is clearly middle of the road talent. Will / did get eaten up by for example Joker. Joker is pretty damn good given todays centerless NBA so that is not a total dis on Poodle.

If Spurs win a 'Chip with Poodle i will tatoo his name on my taint and post it here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll be back.
    The last Austrian who said "I'll be back" made an impact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched the press conference. Two interesting details that aren't mentioned in the article or on twitter:

1) If he had to choose between a good situation (playing time, success, team chemistry) tand more money, he wouldn't choose the money.
    2) He sees his future not on a team, which won around 20 games this season, because he is not the player that improves such a team to 40 wins with scoring 30 ppg. But he can he can help a team that's already successful with doing the dirty work and making a difference.

That doesn't sound like he wants to go to teams like Detroit or Charlotte.
    Thanks for the info, ragas.

Reading between the lines and adding in his previous comments, it sounds like he won't be happy coming back if he's only getting 16-18 minutes behind Aldridge. Add in the shrinking league and I highly doubt he could reach 20 minutes per game coming off the bench even factoring in Aldridge's decline. For Poeltl to get the kind of role in San Antonio that he wants, he'd have to start.

Did you get the sense from the interview that he'd want to leave the Spurs if he's not satisfied with his projected role?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Spurs win a 'Chip with Poodle i will tatoo his name on my taint and post it here.
    TimVP, it is your responsibility to IP ban this poster if we ever get into a finals series with Poetl on the roster. I don't want to see it...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the info, ragas.

Reading between the lines and adding in his previous comments, it sounds like he won't be happy coming back if he's only getting 16-18 minutes behind Aldridge. Add in the shrinking league and I highly doubt he could reach 20 minutes per game coming off the bench even factoring in Aldridge's decline. For Poeltl to get the kind of role in San Antonio that he wants, he'd have to start.

Did you get the sense from the interview that he'd want to leave the Spurs if he's not satisfied with his projected role?
    Hard to say. But my sense is - because of what he said an how he said it - that he wants to come back. There are good reasons for that: The team chemistry seems to be okay, working with Chip & Tim is perfect for his development, the Spurs are known for their winning culture & have promising talent on the roster where he fits. If the Spurs want to continue playing with high pace, Aldridge needs more rest and that gives Poeltl more minutes. And I guess Aldridge will be gone after the next season. That gives Poeltl some hope for an increased role at least.

Because Poeltl surely has thought about, which team would be a better fit. I scrolled through the list and there are not many options. Maybe Toronto, but it depends what their plans are with Van Fleet, Ibaka & Gasol and I don‘t think Poeltl fits their style of play anymore. Detroit & Charlotte are Not really known for their winning culture and all the other teams with cap space are more or less set at the 5 Spot or are no good fit.
    Last edited by ragas; 08-22-2020 at 01:40 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He sounds super self aware.
    Great at ude.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imho this is the perfect situation for a 4 year contract at a small x year amount...next year LMA minutes will be necessarly limited by father time and a different, more up tempo, style that's necessary to embrace with three young guards like White, Lonnie and DJM and a small pf like probably DDR is gonna be for the rest of his career.
    LMA and Poeltl (with probably Eubanks as a third string) can share minutes at the 5...I don't see a 35 years old big playing more than 24/25 minutes a game in a team up tempo style oriented. The skinnier version of LMA seen in recent photos looks like supports this theory (probably the FO has told him to concentrate on running and 3 points...) and less muscles in his body could also mean a better health situation and the chance to prolong his career for some more years.

I'm really curious of this draft and free agency...and of the FO works in general for this year.

If I had to imagine our future next starting five and bench, as of now, I see it this way...considering that, barring trades, we're stacked with players under contract and the only sure unknown quan ies will be, as of now, the 11th pick and a veteran we can sign with the MLE

White - Walker - Johnson - DDR - LMA
    DJM - Mills - (11th p/MLE guy) Gay Poeltl
    Q.W. (11th p./MLE guy) Samanic Lyles Eubanks

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    News from Poeltl
    @ Spurs: "I feel very much at home in San Antonio and can well imagine continuing to play there. The decision about that lies more with the Spurs than with me"

@workout: "I work individually on my shot, on pick-and-roll situations, finishes under the rim and post-ups. In addition, there is the Spurs strength training program"

And he'll return to the States in the first week of November (probably)

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/p...to-san-antonio
    Last edited by ragas; 10-21-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is worth nothing more over 15m. That's being generous. Oklahoma City has a problem with Steven adams as well. 25m to give them the same level of production with no jumpshot. Nerlens Noel, Jerian grant, even Kenneth faried will offer better production off the bench than Jakob if they think he can't be a permanent starter for the price

Thread Information