Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...for an amazing playoff run this year. You were rumored to be the underdog at the beginning of every series you played in and you proved the doubters wrong. There's no shame in how you played in the NBA Finals....so much to be proud of. As heart-breaking as game 6 was for us fans, you all played like champions throughout these playoffs. One rebound, one second chance three missed by the Heat and we're celebrating on the Riverwalk. The Heat have the world's greatest player, but you have the world's best team. I was honored to watch a great, great season...thank you.

Thank you Tim Duncan for being who you are. Thank you for believing in your mentor David Robinson, and respecting his legacy when you showed up in San Antonio. You took what he started and made it better. Your greatness enabled David to retire on top of the basketball world and then you kept that spirit alive creating a culture in the Spurs organization that is very unique in professional sports today. Back in 2000 you were considered to be perhaps the greatest player in the world like Lebron is now. When a Florida NBA team came calling you stayed with the small market team that drafted you...that loves you. Had you said yes to Orlando back in 2000 the entire Spurs franchise might be playing in another city today....so thank you for staying. Later, as a veteran in this league you took less money to help your team sign competent role players...players who would prove valuable in the playoffs...you could have still commanded whatever salary you wanted but you put the team before yourself...again...thank you. When you suffered through knee pain and plantar fasciitis you changed your entire physical makeup/diet/workout regimen to further your career. And not only have you furthered it, you've turned back the clock. Players just don't do that...they just don't turn back time like you have...thank you. Had you not achieved the impossible with your physical health the Spurs would likely have been preparing for the upcoming lottery, not licking their wounds after an agonizing 7 game Finals defeat....thank you. You averaged 27 and 15 in the last two games of the NBA Finals...at age 37...on the road. You are the GOAT.

Thank you Manu Ginobili. Thank you for loving this team and this city. You were a crucial ingredient to 3 of our 4 championship teams. You sat out large stretches of the end of the regular season with injuries to both of your hamstrings yet you came back in the playoffs and provided some big minutes. You were asked to play at the highest level when a lot of guys your age would have simply been trying to get themselves back into playing shape. The Heat schemed to stop you, and in some ways they did, but you still delivered some great moments. I was in the arena when you gave us that memorable game 5 performance. There's more of that left in you Manu. Don't retire. Two more years...give us two more. Thank you.

Thank you Tony Parker. You had a chance to blame your hamstring for your struggles in the last two games of the playoffs...but champions don't make excuses. All of us who've seen you play the last 10 years can recognize when you are struggling to find that explosion. If you were 100%, you and the Spurs would have probably produced a different outcome in this series. Just like Tim and Manu, you stayed with the Spurs when more glamorous destinations like New York and LA came calling through the years. You stayed. You played amazing all year...your game has improved each and every year throughout your NBA career which is obviously a reflection of the time and dedication you've put into making your game better. You are in the conversation about the best players in the league. You are a leader on this team...it's now yours. It would have been impossible for Lebron to have stayed with you had you stayed healthy running through the motion offense...ahh, what might have been I suppose. Thank you.

Thank you Kawhi Leonard. You are a star in the making in the mold of the former Spurs greats...fearless, unassuming, hard working. You give me great hope that the legacy of the Spurs will continue even after the Big 3 have retired. Your play in these Finals was amazing. Your dad would obviously be so proud. Thank you.

Thank you Danny Green, Tiago Splitter, Gary Neal, Boris Diaw, Matt Bonner and the rest of the Spurs team. You each stepped up at moments in these playoffs. You are among the best players in the world, but you defer to the greatness of the Spurs core players, and the culture of playing in San Antonio. I was proud to be a Spurs fan watching each of you this post season. There is no Finals appearance without you all doing your part. This is the best supporting cast the Spurs have had in many years. Thank you.

Thank you Gregg Popovich. You are the one coach in the NBA who truly is 'Coach' in my mind. You're a throwback to the days when NBA coaches coached and players listened and respected that leader in the organization. Your philosophy is key to the success this team has enjoyed over the years. San Antonio is the only small market team...the only professional sports team...that can lay claim to the consistent success that the Spurs have enjoyed over the years, and much of that credit has to go to you. You seem to be able to construct, and re-construct a winning formula year after year. Your players want to play for you. They believe in you even if sometimes the fans don't. They actually listen...what professional coach has that type of influence on their team these days? Very few. The loyalty you create in your players is unlike anything in sports. Truly a testament to who you are and the amazing coach you are. You handle winning, and losing with grace, which is a great lesson for all of us. Thank you.

Thank you Spurstalk. It's been a fun decade, plus, that I've been around most of you. I don't get to be around much these days, but this website is still my go-to site for relief from the stress of the day-to-day. I can step into this world and be a kid for a little while. I can go back to the days when the biggest concern in life was hoping and praying for a Spurs victory. I saw the tears rolling down my son's face last night when the Spurs lost and all I could do is think back to all those years I cheered for the Spurs when they came up a little short of my hopes but I kept cheering....kept hoping. I come into this forum and I remember the days when I attended games with my Dad in the Hemisfair Arena, cheering every victory and feeling sad after every loss. From the Iceman, to the Admiral, I cheered every era until finally, 23 years after my first Spurs game, I got to savor that first of four amazing seasons when my Spurs were the last team standing when the season was done. The Tim Duncan era has been the greatest of them all. I've been here cheering with all of you this last decade, and what an honor it's been for me. Thank you Kori. Thank you LJ. Thank all of you.

Spurs Peak After Miami.

Believe.

Last edited by Ed Helicopter Jones; 06-21-2013 at 03:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you Ed for putting that beautiful post together

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well put. Have missed your postings around here of late.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Last edited by LakerHater; 06-21-2013 at 02:53 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Never tell me the odds- Kuestmaster's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice post. Very proud of being a spur. Forever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the post sir. Can't wait for November :-)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great post, thanks.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent post. I couldn't be more proud of our guys and coaches, really, look how far we made it and how close we came to winning a championship. Let Danny Green party with Lebron, they were friends in Cleveland, it is going to be really weird not having basketball for 4.5 months, and I will miss a lot of you guys, I am sure SpursTalk will slow down during the offseason. Timvp and others, thank you so much for your valuable insight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great read. thanks.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ed, I read that post for a second time, what a great read, thank you so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    awesome

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

But seriously, good post Ed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you, Ed Helicopter Jones, for providing the first thing I've read that made me feel better about this series.

Such a bitter ending to a fantastic season, but it was a of a ride while it lasted. I already can't wait for the next time the silver and black tip the ball up.

Good to see you back around these parts, old chap.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love this team.
    A lot of things that were unprobable to go wrong happened to go wrong, but everyone tried their best.
    Clearlly most players weren´t 100% for the playoffs and we don´t have a bunch of good players that came here to play with ur primadonnas stars.
    Have we had Allen or Battier like players join us on their prime this core would have had multiple les, yet they stayed in San Antonio, winning less money that they could, playing a much harder way to try and bring championships to the city they clearly love.
    I hope they would have represented my home team the way they represented yours and made me feel part of your community.

#Proud

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good post!

Hook 'em
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the best takes I have ever read on ST. I have felt like all day, never taken a loss this hard, ever. But this post contributes to my recovery.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you Ed Helicopter Jones. Your thread has provided a little bit of relief for me. We are lucky as to have this team, from Tim Duncan to Cory Joseph. Every single one of them gave us their all and left it all on the floor this season. I still remember as a little kid growing up watching the Spurs fall in the first round year after after year to the likes of the Jazz. I never imagined they would win 1, let alone 4 les. Thank you Spurs for everything this season...

It’s not so important who starts the game but who finishes it! ~Sweetmelody~'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well said!! Thank you expressing so eloquently how many of us feel, beautiful post!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was so well put that somehow we should get it framed and sent to each of the Spurs and the Coaches and Staff with the signatures of Spurs fans at SpursTalk attached.

Kori, LJ, Helicopter make it happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fantastic post man, and I know we'll be back to win it next year. Words cannot express how fortunate we are to witness Tim Duncan's greatness. The man is everything you could ask of your franchise player, and there's no one I would rather have on my team than him. Kawhi will hopefully take the next step next season to take some of the pressure off of Manu and Tony in terms of creating, and I just know we will be contending next year too. I don't think this was Tim's last shot at #5

It’s not so important who starts the game but who finishes it! ~Sweetmelody~'s Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was so well put that somehow we should get it framed and sent to each of the Spurs and the Coaches and Staff with the signatures of Spurs fans at SpursTalk attached.

Kori, LJ, Helicopter make it happen.
    I second that!

RAM
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Awesome, awesome post. Really well said. Thanks for that man.

Thread Information