Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't really dominate last night. He played decently mostly against a 19 year old two way player. You think Primo was sandbagging?
    I don’t think it really means anything. His performance in the g league is going to provide very little insight as to his abilities in the nba, just like college basketball provides very little info about how good college players will be in the pros. At best, g league performance might highlight the extreme cases. Outside of that? I don’t think it does very much, other than gives role players a chance to play and learn their roles

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think it really means anything. His performance in the g league is going to provide very little insight as to his abilities in the nba, just like college basketball provides very little info about how good college players will be in the pros. At best, g league performance might highlight the extreme cases. Outside of that? I don’t think it does very much, other than gives role players a chance to play and learn their roles
    That's pretty convenient.

Why do NBA scouts watch college basketball games?
    Last edited by ChumpDumper; 11-07-2021 at 01:33 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To check out the cheerleaders, of course.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Because they can’t see those players anywhere else. That’s obviously not a problem when you’re talking about a player you drafted.

Why aren’t the best college basketball players the highest picks in the draft? Because college basketball is a different sport and doesn’t mean anything as far as nba performance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they can’t see those players anywhere else. That’s obviously not a problem when you’re talking about a player you drafted.

Why aren’t the best college basketball players the highest picks in the draft? Because college basketball is a different sport and doesn’t mean anything as far as nba performance.
    But they see them play in college and make their determinations and projections for their NBA potential based upon how they play in college, knowing the differences between the games. Sometimes the best college players do indeed end up being the highest draft picks. Sometimes less experienced players are picked higher based on the NBA potential scouts and executives determine based on what they see in their college play.

That's how scouting works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao low hanging fruit JR Smith didn't like some Trump Sh__.... that re JR!

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But they see them play in college and make their determinations and projections for their NBA potential based upon how they play in college, knowing the differences between the games. Sometimes the best college players do indeed end up being the highest draft picks. Sometimes less experienced players are picked higher based on the NBA potential scouts and executives determine based on what they see in their college play.

That's how scouting works.
    Your overrating their college play. The combine, workouts, measurements, etc. have a much bigger impact on who gets drafted where. All of that information, the Spurs already have on Primo. Seeing how he plays against a bunch of randos in the G league is next to worthless information. That's why no other team does that with their lottery picks. Even a contender like the Warriors are playing their lottery picks in NBA games (in addition to their G league play).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lmao low hanging fruit JR Smith didn't like some Trump Sh__.... that re JR!
    oh look kw reflexively defending trump

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If spurs continue to lose this makes less&less sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your overrating their college play. The combine, workouts, measurements, etc. have a much bigger impact on who gets drafted where. All of that information, the Spurs already have on Primo. Seeing how he plays against a bunch of randos in the G league is next to worthless information. That's why no other team does that with their lottery picks. Even a contender like the Warriors are playing their lottery picks in NBA games (in addition to their G league play).
    measurements show more than college play how they will work out in the NBA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh look kw reflexively defending trump
    Oh look you're crying again like always... I'd rather defend Trump over a dumb like JR Smith tbh. You tend to love dumb s though and put them in the WH too; you dumb s are peas in a pod.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can we please not turn this thread into another pissing match about Trump?

Take it to the goddamn Political Forum, fellas.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ok, it would be interesting to know if there are any other players drafted in the lottery (1-14) that were sent to the G-League like Primo and why are the Spurs not playing their young players when they clearly have shown that they could get lucky against the Bucks and that they are only good enough to beat the Magic.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) Primo is 40th in NBA minutes.

2) 1st rounders with less minutes:
    19 Kai Jones
    21 Keon Johnson
    28 Jaden Springer

3) Any assignment to G League
    27 Cam Johnson
    28 Jaden Springer
    29 Da'Ron Sharpe

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Deleted, not sure of data.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors have assigned their rookies to the gleague I believe as well…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    correct, kuminga and moody have been sent to the Santa Cruz affiliate. also, bouknight is getting less than 2 minutes per game with Charlotte so he may see some time in the g-league soon, and kispert is getting a little less than 11 minutes per game with the wizards.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, but it's kind of crazy because GSW don't need Kuminga and Moody to win right now. They have a win-now team at this moment with Thompson returning at some point in the near future. They have a team good enough to contend without needing Kuminga and Moody. So it makes sense for them to play in the G League.

The Spurs are not competing for the playoffs. They are not even competing for the play in right now. So not playing a rookie appears somewhat to be a mistake unless they think he's not NBA ready.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm still waiting to see how long primo stays in austin before i really make a conclusion. if he spends the entire season in austin, while putting up good numbers then i'd be disappointed in how he was used. if he just does a few stints over there and ultimately gets some minutes here and there on the spurs squad before the season is over then i would be less bothered by it. especially if he looks more polished in the process.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna go check out an Austin Spurs game soon so I'm glad I'll get to see him. But tbh SA needs him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rookie may need some more minutes in real game situations to learn the Spurs offensive and defensive systems and play calls. That information is especially crucial for a rookie going into real game situations since they also have to handle the moves the opposition makes on defense and offense. Until the system and plays become second nature and he doesn't have to think about them, he will not be able to understand the motion of the game to the fullest extent of his capabilities. He has shown a lot of ability to use his limited knowledge for a rookie under the stress of being thrown in against veterans, but think how much better he will be when the nervousness and uncertainty is gone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kuminga played the entire season in the gleague with The Ignite last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna go check out an Austin Spurs game soon so I'm glad I'll get to see him. But tbh SA needs him.
    It only took a few ty showings by Drewbanks for Pop to make the switch to Young, unless there was some injury concern that wasn't being reported.

Honestly if I'm White or Walker, I'm looking over my shoulder right now. They'd be the first two on the hot seat if Primo does get recalled and they aren't exactly doing themselves any favors.

Jones has gotten some spot minutes as well, but has actually looked pretty decent in those.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some amount of time is needed to assess where we are with certain other players of a somewhat similar position. For example, we’re getting a better idea of what progress Lonnie has or hasn’t made so far in a contract year. That’s helpful. We don’t have enough info yet on Jones, which I think is needed before we bury him further.

If Primo does well in G league and we somehow trade Young and Walker, then Walker’s absence opens things up. It doesn’t seem like us sucking is what will determine Primo’s call up, it’s his own play in the G league, I imagine. Having said that, yeah, I’m almost ready to see more of him, perhaps in episodes where we learn what he needs to work on. To me that would be the ideal middle ground. We’ll see what the whims of the Old Man bring us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo has been recalled.

Thread Information