Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josue Primo, eventually grew on me, too, once I began to hear information about the potentials that he has as being a good to great NBA player in his career. After watching him play in the Summer League, for an 18 year old, the potential is definitely there! For me, I saw some flashes of "Kobe-liteness" in him. I'm not saying that he will be the next Kobe or anything, but perhaps he has the next potential to be similar to the person he idolizes, & that's Kevin Booker, whom he grew up watching. Here is an excerpt from Duane Rankin of the Arizona Republic, who covers the Phoenix Suns:

"The one player that I'm really looking forward to playing against is Devin Booker." San Antonio Spurs rookie Joshua Primo. #Suns #Spurs #NBASummerLeague pic.twitter.com/qQv5kaUarG

— Duane Rankin (@DuaneRankin) August 12, 2021
    "The one player that I'm really looking forward to playing against is Devin Booker," said Primo during a ESPN interview in which several rookies were asked who they wanted to face this season."He's someone that I look up to as a player. Someone who I feel like embodies the way I want to play. Just being able to compete against someone like him would be a great opportunity."

So, who did Devin Booker idolize growing up? ….The Black Mamba... Here is an excerpt from Joshua Miranda of Sports Manor, who wrote about the Devin Booker & Kobe comparisons:

Devin Booker idolizes Kobe Bryant. He has a tattoo of an iconic line Kobe told Booker. He has all the Kobe gear and you can really see his affinity to the Black Mamba. Not only that but he has also a offensive game that is similar to an older Kobe Bryant. A Kobe which Booker grew up watching.
    But when Devin Booker heard all the comparisons between him and Kobe he said, "I should never be compared to Kobe Bryant.”
    Devin says this obviously because he knows he has not achieved the things Kobe has, especially at this point in his career. But in general they aren’t comparable.
    Booker possesses the offensive game of Kobe but an older one. However, he does not have the athletic ability of a young Afro-Be. Kobe was a dunk champion and Zach Lavine is more similar to that version of Kobe. Bryant was also a 12 time All-defensive player. Booker is not as good as a defender as KB was, at least right now.

So, to say all of this, for Primo, the sky is the limit! He has Booker to look up to; play against & even the opportunity, down the road, to work out with during the off season. The opportunity is there for him to either match or surpass Booker in every facet of the game, but hopefully, he will establish his own iden y as an individual player. I'm growing more exited about this kid, with hopes that he will turn into a good, if not great NBA player, either as a Spur or wherever his NBA career takes him. GSG!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think he should be expected to get big minutes this year, but Pop loves confident players who have gotten over themselves, and that seems to fit Primo perfectly. So, I am prepared for anything with Primo is all I’m saying. Now, there are plenty of players ahead of him in line, so yeah, logically he shouldn’t play ahead of those with more experience.
    I think most posters here expecting a worst-case scenario regarding Primo's role and playtime this season will be (un)pleasantly surprised. Far too many clichés have flown here about the team and FO as if they're set in stone, only to be easily broken in time. I see him getting somewhat consistent bench minutes after the All-Star break, especially if he overperforms in the GL, as I think he will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pokusevski is possibly the worst shooter I've ever seen. Absolutely awful, and in a hilarious, spectacular, you've-got-to-see-this kind of way. Horrible form, just slinging it vainly toward the iron, clanging it off backboard and whatever came in the way. Just superbly ty as a shooter. And here's the kicker -- he never stopped. Would not stop shooting. The guy has supreme confidence and no capability as a shooter whatsoever. It's truly impressive, and then the coaching staff and GM seem to simply let him do it, like a Make a Wish Foundation kid.

So are you saying Sam Presti doesn't have an eye for talent? Poku improved as the season went on, which is what OKC wanted. It's better than having your prospects sit on the bench, getting no court time, while watching a poorly constructed team limp into the 10th spot. Shooting is his weakness, so obviously if he improves there, it'll pair nicely with his other already established skills.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So are you saying Sam Presti doesn't have an eye for talent? Poku improved as the season went on, which is what OKC wanted. It's better than having your prospects sit on the bench, getting no court time, while watching a poorly constructed team limp into the 10th spot. Shooting is his weakness, so obviously if he improves there, it'll pair nicely with his other already established skills.
    What I said is that Pokushevski is the worst ing shooter I've seen in my life and it was made worse by absolutely no sense of coaching whatsoever. He was given no leash or instruction or anything to stop him from flinging atrocious shot after atrocious shot somewhere in the direction of the rim. It was absurd and might hurt him down the line.

I wouldn't say "shooting is his weakness." I'd say his shooting is worse than a huge vat of festering donkey with dead children floating in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I said is that Pokushevski is the worst ing shooter I've seen in my life and it was made worse by absolutely no sense of coaching whatsoever. He was given no leash or instruction or anything to stop him from flinging atrocious shot after atrocious shot somewhere in the direction of the rim. It was absurd and might hurt him down the line.

I wouldn't say "shooting is his weakness." I'd say his shooting is worse than a huge vat of festering donkey with dead children floating in it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

His 3pt% improved as the year progressed, so I don't know if your assessment holds water, though it is an admittedly entertaining & dramatic take on water, with donkey & dead children in there :

January: 23.1%
    March: 29.1%
    April: 30.1%
    May: 43.5%

His TS% improved as the year went on too, so I'd hazard the guess that him having the green light to keep shooting didn't impede his progress at all.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 08-20-2021 at 05:48 PM.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    if u want a laugh go to the first page & look at all the turrible primo takes........primo looks like a star in first game.......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welp… wanted Sengun.
    Why

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurstalk experts getting �� on again

foaming at the nostrils raybies's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if u want a laugh go to the first page & look at all the turrible primo takes........primo looks like a star in first game.......
    this thread gonna be golden soon LUL

the usual suspects are always there with their usual takes...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was a Primo skeptic, I’ll admit it. He’s already proving me wrong. I hope he continues to make me eat my words. Looks great so far.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was a Primo skeptic, I’ll admit it. He’s already proving me wrong. I hope he continues to make me eat my words. Looks great so far.
    respect man...

better to be bold then play both sides of the fence like some of these trash cans who talk the game...

I have no problem eating crow if I'm wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo might be the second coming of Kobe Bryan. Josh 'Mamba Prime' Primo pasta aldente

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On one side we can blame the guys who saw him as a bad pick during the draft night. But on the other side it could also be a mistake to see him like a future superstar after just one preseason game…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On one side we can blame the guys who saw him as a bad pick during the draft night. But on the other side it could also be a mistake to see him like a future superstar after just one preseason game…
    Well it's a fun pass time here for some to make bold claims and then have fun with it later... Win win scenario if you ask me but that may be a glass half full/empty type of thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kid's eighteen. Even if they weren't Utah's best players, their NBA players, so its impressive. Given Primo supposed to be a good character kid, I doubt (hope) that he keeps his head down and works as DJ and others say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That shot is gorgeous, whatever else you want to say, gorgeous arc and soft as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kid's eighteen. Even if they weren't Utah's best players, their NBA players, so its impressive. Given Primo supposed to be a good character kid, I doubt (hope) that he keeps his head down and works as DJ and others say.
    I think the nature of this outing was a testament to his elite maturity relative to his age. Even DJ mentioned he didn't seem phased... A kid like that at this age speaks volumes of his potential not to mention his skill set at this time... Just very promising. It's gonna be fun watching this one for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a kid that saw a small role and few touches in college, Primo has a lot of advanced moves, a smooth shooting stroke and potential to be a good defender.

I didn't like the pick in the moment (who did?), but he showed glimpses in Summer League of why he quietly vaulted up draft boards. His age just adds to that because he's so young and you get him in your development program a "year early."

I doubt he'll be tearing up the league for 17 points every night and will have bad moments or even be sent down to the G-League for more seasoning, but the raw potential and early skillset is present.

I definitely hope he proves the doubters on here and elsewhere completely wrong too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a kid that saw a small role and few touches in college, Primo has a lot of advanced moves, a smooth shooting stroke and potential to be a good defender.

I didn't like the pick in the moment (who did?), but he showed glimpses in Summer League of why he quietly vaulted up draft boards. His age just adds to that because he's so young and you get him in your development program a "year early."

I doubt he'll be tearing up the league for 17 points every night and will have bad moments or even be sent down to the G-League for more seasoning, but the raw potential and early skillset is present.

I definitely hope he proves the doubters on here and elsewhere completely wrong too.
    I fancy a fun conspiracy theory but I wouldn't be surprised if he was home grown so to speak... I don't see how a gem like this stays under wraps for this long with that kind of talent, skill, character etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As mentioned, Primo really should be entering college this year. He went a year early.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one who thinks Primo looks ... big? Like I keep hearing that he's not really 6-6 or that he's not physically ready to play in the NBA, but he looks like he's going to be a small-forward once he fills out. If he grows even two inches, I think he's going to be a combo-forward if not an everyday PF. It's not even a wingspan thing with him, as he's basically average in that regard. He just looks like he's going to be a load physically in a few years. That he's running the point now will only help him once he becomes a front-court player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Am I the only one who thinks Primo looks ... big? Like I keep hearing that he's not really 6-6 or that he's not physically ready to play in the NBA, but he looks like he's going to be a small-forward once he fills out. If he grows even two inches, I think he's going to be a combo-forward if not an everyday PF. It's not even a wingspan thing with him, as he's basically average in that regard. He just looks like he's going to be a load physically in a few years. That he's running the point now will only help him once he becomes a front-court player.
    Yea his legs are thick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think people saying he’s not ready to play in the NBA are saying it to preemptively make an excuse for Pop when he starts the inexplicable benching.

He seems the most ready of all rookies in recent years. He’s going to get stronger and bigger naturally over the years, but that’s not to say he isn’t already strong enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess this is as good as it's going to get as far as highlights are concerned for him

Thread Information