Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    that is the Smokey/Gooden for Butler/Haywood one. It seems like a wrong time to drop doubts on this move when their team just got a WIN from an eastern oligarchy a half day ago, but statistically that is. Here's my reasons...

To make it simpler I'm just going to split the deal and try to analyze it from two separated dimensions, as though they were two trades individually made.

Gooden ---> Haywood: Despite how overpaid Gooden was, dude had been doing fine this season and undoubtedly he was a key role in rotation. You added some size to your paint but you are still going to play small ball with Marion at PF when Dirk sits on bench resting, or you have to spare the PF minutes to some dip s like Najera. TT is fine when healthy but he's more like a cheap shooter like Robert Horry rather than a blue collar rebounder like what Gooden worked as. During a half season Gooden had mostly been used as a backup center, which was obviously under-sized. Donnie replaced him with a longer one but there remains a deep hole behind Dirk's back. The C spot was strengthened a lot through this deal, but Carlisle still has to use his 3-man rotation in paint for the many games to come, or his 3.5-man rotation with Marion counted as a half.

Smokey ---> Butler: while Mavs fans were criticizing Josh's slack performances and spraying graffitos about trading him, they genuinely were hoping for a significant upgrade in return. Butler seemed like an encouraging signing on his arrival and was feverishly welcomed by Mavs fans. Even the Mavs GM Donnie Nelson had received some decent credits for making this trade, something he hadn't got any for many years prior... whereas, a simple fact was ignored that except the number of games missed, Caron Butler had played exactly a bad half-season as Smokey's according to a variety of stats. A healthy Smokey should still be a productive member even if not as good as he used to be, while the Caron Butler we traded for was exactly on his healthy version and we saw how it was. Mavs traded an off-prime Smokey for another player whose prime was also well in past form. Of course it's not a shrewd deal for Wizards either, but it's also definitely not a no-brainer as it's initially judged.

overall for the Mavs the Mavs-Wizards deal is just another, if not worse than, LATERAL MOVE.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Rogue what the are you talking bout? Haywood is a legit 7 ft defensive minded center and even if Caron = Howard the toughness and defense both bring still makes this a solid trade.

Believe.
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Josh Howard is a dumbass, Butler is a smart player. NOT A LATERAL MOVE at all.

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ing fail. Butler/Haywood have already shown superior value to Gooden/Howard. Butlers only shooting 34% but is NOT a black hole on offense and usually takes shots within the rhythm of the offense... although he's taken a few shots I dont like... competes on defense too although not a great defender. Haywood goes without saying, altered many shots in the paint area last night that Gooden would be incapable of doing... has played great in all 3 games.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Heywood is a big step up from Gooden, especially in terms of matching up with the Lake Show. He's one of the few legit centers in this league. He's way more physical than Gooden and he's more consistent. Gooden's problem is you just don't know what you're going to get out of him from night to night.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Von Wafer went through a workout for the Mavericks on Friday but management wasn't divulging any news about the workout.

There may have been other players going through the drills, but Wafer, the former Rocket, was the only one whose iden y was known for sure.

The Mavericks have two needs going forward: a short-term center while Erick Dampier recovers from finger surgery and a guard who can handle the ball but also shoot it.

They also are waiting to see what players get bought out or waived in the aftermath of the trade deadline.
    http://startelegramsports.typepad.co...r-workout.html

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Wafer would be a better player for the rotation than JJB.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Apparently you haven't seen him play when he was with the Rockets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wafer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jefferson

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Apparently you haven't seen him play when he was with the Rockets.
    Apparently you haven't seen JJB play with the Mavs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah get over it... It has only been what... 2 games? Butler is a smart player and Haywood is definitely an upgrade over Ericka. Good move for the Mavs and they are up there with Denver for sure.

Duh and/or hello! Ode to Triple Ocho's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Butler/Howard is as lateral as it gets in the NBA. They are so similar it's not funny.

Haywood however was a necessary upgrade.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    What a stupid thread if the OP is actually serious rather than trolling for fun. Even then trolling is stupid.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol Rogue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can anyone say this trade is a lateral move after 3 games?
    Dallas looses a tough road game against am under rated OKC team but then comes back to beat two playoff teams, one of which is the second best team in the east ON THE ROAD. The mavs team before the trade would've dropped all three of those...

Duh and/or hello! Ode to Triple Ocho's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Josh Howard is a dumbass, Butler is a smart player. NOT A LATERAL MOVE at all.
    Butler is a dumb player and takes just as many dumb shots as Howard. Statistically proven.

Howard is more efficient overall for his career and looks re-energized in Washington.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    He has worse at ude problems than smokey

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    push

Veteran
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Butler has already started to annoy me....stupid turnovers, dumb jumpers. I'm gonna give him a pass for 2 weeks till he can get familiar with the plays and players.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Butler has already started to annoy me....stupid turnovers, dumb jumpers. I'm gonna give him a pass for 2 weeks till he can get familiar with the plays and players.

7-13. Yeah plus good defense. With Kidd and Marion out there, we lack scorers.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You know everyone is thought of a little more negatively when Terry goes 0-10.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol. Butler kicked ass tonight

You know everyone is thought of a little more negatively when Terry goes 0-10.
    Usual for Terry.

What do you think of Kidd lately? Still think he sucks?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol. Butler kicked ass tonight

Usual for Terry.

What do you think of Kidd lately? Still think he sucks?
    He's been badass lately. Which makes me wonder why he didn't play like that before the trade.

Believe.
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Butler/Howard is as lateral as it gets in the NBA. They are so similar it's not funny.

Haywood however was a necessary upgrade.
    So I've only seen Butler for the 4 games we've had him. I've seen every josh howard game.

There are some huge differences, mostly between the ears but also some talent.

1. Butler is a of a lot smarter basketball player than josh. There was a reason that josh never got the ball at the end of games, it was because the coaching staff could not trust him to do what he was supposed to do, he'd freelance. This was told me by Donnie.

2. Butler's handles are much better than joshs. It allows him to get where he wants to go under control. Josh was frequently quite out of control.

3. Consistency of play. Josh just wasn't consistent except in prior years in the first half where he basically shot everytime he got it.

4. Passing...this is a huge upgrade. Josh usually didn't have enough control to actually pass the ball properly. Again it goes to number 1 about not being trusted with the ball. How many times did the mavs run a Dirk/Josh PNR...none...because it would have resulted in a josh shot or some other josh move versus the correct play.

I expect quite a few caron/dirk PNR's this year.

Thread Information