Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am happy about it ... as others have said, Bonner will not get playoff time, but he is a nice end of bench guy and good for the team chemistry.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is the average age of retirement in the USA? My best guess is that Matty will lace em up until then. And I'm at peace with that.

Tim Duncan/Matt Bonner retirement Party 2038. I'll be there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the vet min is more than ok...however, i don't understand how this will impact our future signings...if and when the F.O. plans to sign someone else for the 15 th spot.
    In theory, we still have some holes...a veteran wing, a mobile and shot blocking big...and Imho we haven't solved our "big problem" that's point guard with Parker declining and playing lesser and lesser...I suppose that it will be taken care of by Manu (our real second playmeker), and for some minutes by Kyle, Mc Callum, Diaw, Mills and Simmons (that means by players that can't be considered, except maybe for Mc Callum - Kyle no more - at all point guards).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the vet min is more than ok...however, i don't understand how this will impact our future signings...if and when the F.O. plans to sign someone else for the 15 th spot.
    In theory, we still have some holes...a veteran wing, a mobile and shot blocking big...and Imho we haven't solved our "big problem" that's point guard with Parker declining and playing lesser and lesser...I suppose that it will be taken care of by Manu (our real second playmeker), and for some minutes by Kyle, Mc Callum, Diaw, Mills and Simmons (that means by players that can't be considered, except maybe for Mc Callum - Kyle no more - at all point guards).
    You're underestimating how much time Ray McCallum will play point guard. ESPECIALLY if there are the typical Parker injuries of late.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're underestimating how much time Ray McCallum will play point guard. ESPECIALLY if there are the typical Parker injuries of late.
    He played almost the same number of minutes as CoJo last year as PG. The expectation is that he'll do the same this year.

Bufford said that he was better at orchestrating the offense than Cojo.

Spurs will need to play first to see where their holes lie.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're gonna look at Matt Bonner stats, there's only one that means anything:

Bonner has a career .414 3P shooting percentage.
    Bonner has a career .355 PLAYOFF 3P shooting percentage.

Anything else you can say about him is totally overshadowed by that one stat. If you just have to look at another stat, how about this?

Bonner has a career .569 EFG%
    Bonner has a career .511 PLAYOFF EFG%
    Last year in the playoffs, Bonner had a .300 EFG%

Let him play in the regular season, to rest some other guys. But if you measure success in rings? Bonner ain't your guy. He needs to be off the floor in the post-season. He's proven it for 9 straight seasons.
    These numbers are specious. One, they're on an island. Compare them to other 14th man numbers, or 6th bigs for some kind of perspective. Two, .355 is not a horrible 3%, as you're trying to imply. It's just not great. Decent, and a fall off from his 41%. Three, yes, his numbers drop off significantly in the playoffs. Again, for perspective, how do others compare in the playoffs? Playoff teams have better defenses, generally, that's why they're in the playoffs. A lot of players numbers probably drop for this reason. Some may rise against better defenses, but that's probably not the norm. Four, the very fact that his numbers drop in the playoffs implies that defenses are respecting his ability, (many deny teams will honor his shot - this shows they clearly do) which is exactly what you want, to use him to stretch the floor. Defenses are dedicating resources toward shutting him down. The famous OKC example. Five, cherry picking last year's number and throwing it in there as evidence for future effectiveness. Unreliable. Especially if he was dealing wih a real, non-iPhone related injury.

So many people saying, still, that he "always" misses, or that he "never" makes a shot. You don't get to 37%, much less 41% by always missing, or never making. Pretty simple.

He is a tool, of some limited and specialized use. I trust Pop to use him effectively if needed and applicable.

Arguments that he is taking someone else's spot that is better can always be made, but are always nebulous, as we don't know if that person would have been available or willing to play, and not necessarily even better, as a 14th man/6th big.

Developing young talent? Philosophical differences.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good. Your not going to find a Stretch 4 or 5 (Bonner can play both) in this league that is going to learn the system well this year. Bonner is great for the regular season. It means reduce minutes for Tim and gives Boban, West and LMA a player to teach them the ropes on the Spurs plays and positioning.

As the 6th big man, the Spurs couldn't do better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These numbers are specious. One, they're on an island. Compare them to other 14th man numbers, or 6th bigs for some kind of perspective. Two, .355 is not a horrible 3%, as you're trying to imply. It's just not great. Decent, and a fall off from his 41%. Three, yes, his numbers drop off significantly in the playoffs. Again, for perspective, how do others compare in the playoffs? Playoff teams have better defenses, generally, that's why they're in the playoffs. A lot of players numbers probably drop for this reason. Some may rise against better defenses, but that's probably not the norm. Four, the very fact that his numbers drop in the playoffs implies that defenses are respecting his ability, (many deny teams will honor his shot - this shows they clearly do) which is exactly what you want, to use him to stretch the floor. Defenses are dedicating resources toward shutting him down. The famous OKC example. Five, cherry picking last year's number and throwing it in there as evidence for future effectiveness. Unreliable. Especially if he was dealing wih a real, non-iPhone related injury.

So many people saying, still, that he "always" misses, or that he "never" makes a shot. You don't get to 37%, much less 41% by always missing, or never making. Pretty simple.

He is a tool, of some limited and specialized use. I trust Pop to use him effectively if needed and applicable.

Arguments that he is taking someone else's spot that is better can always be made, but are always nebulous, as we don't know if that person would have been available or willing to play, and not necessarily even better, as a 14th man/6th big.

Well said!

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PG - Parker, McCallum, Mills
    SG - Green, Manu, Simmons
    SF - Kawhi, KA, White, or Simmons (if needed, he has the size to play it at 6'6")
    PF - LMA, Diaw, West/Bonner
    C - Duncan, West, Boban, Bonner

I expect Manu to play only like 10-15 min most games and quite a few DND this year. With the Spurs current roster, EVERYONE should be fresh for the playoffs barring any significant injuries.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SF - Kawhi, KA, White, or Simmons (if needed, he has the size to play it at 6'6")
    Looks so good in theory.

Spurs core.

Spurs next Gen.

Hungry Vets that bring offense punch, spacing, toughness. Some Nasty. Guys that will slide right into what the Spurs do and have gotten over themselves.

New Spurs, happy for the change of scenery, coming into an established franchise... plenty of sunshine and fertile soil for them to grow.
    Pg is a coach son with good pace, high bbiq, another is a slasher athletic energy guy who has fought hard to get here, other is agile huge monster with proven success.
    All seem like hard workers dedicated to getting better and carving their place.

This is the sort of mix that wins championships.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need someone to script the FO and matt bonner convo cantthinkofanything

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe set it up at the syrup aisle at HEB.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks so good in theory.

Spurs core.

Spurs next Gen.

Hungry Vets that bring offense punch, spacing, toughness. Some Nasty. Guys that will slide right into what the Spurs do and have gotten over themselves.

New Spurs, happy for the change of scenery, coming into an established franchise... plenty of sunshine and fertile soil for them to grow.
    Pg is a coach son with good pace, high bbiq, another is a slasher athletic energy guy who has fought hard to get here, other is agile huge monster with proven success.

White?

Lakers suck donkey balls JWest596's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner returns!

The Return of the Red Rocket!!!

Duncan and Bonner....does it get any better than this? Aldridge who?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks so good in theory.

Spurs core.

Spurs next Gen.

Agreed. This should be such a fun season.

I'm actually pretty happy with having Bonner back. He's the 14th man, and a situational player, not a regular rotation guy. If you have a non-rotation guy for the minimum, you want someone like Bonner, who knows the culture, and keeps the guys together. He's a great teammate, and will be great in practice for the bigs and Pop.

Most team's 14th man is on a 10 day contract between D-League stints. Matt Bonner is a terrible starter, but an elite 14th man. That's all we can ask for.

Chillin' like a villain... TampaDude's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Red Mamba 4ever!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That 35% is bumped up from his one good playoff run though, his FG % was under .400 as well until then. I agree but the problem before wss playing him 20 mins a game a few years and that was a huge mistake on Pop and it appeared he learned from that so all is good now. 14th man Bonner is and thank God.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I expect Manu to play only like 10-15 min most games and quite a few DND this year. With the Spurs current roster, EVERYONE should be fresh for the playoffs barring any significant injuries.
    Who is 'White'????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Air New Hampshire

The list of nicknames grows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw is not a 3...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who is 'White'????

James White!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're gonna look at Matt Bonner stats, there's only one that means anything:

Bonner has a career .414 3P shooting percentage.
    Bonner has a career .355 PLAYOFF 3P shooting percentage.

Anything else you can say about him is totally overshadowed by that one stat. If you just have to look at another stat, how about this?

Bonner has a career .569 EFG%
    Bonner has a career .511 PLAYOFF EFG%
    Last year in the playoffs, Bonner had a .300 EFG%

]That 35% is bumped up from his one good playoff run though, his FG % was under .400 as well until then. [/B]I agree but the problem before wss playing him 20 mins a game a few years and that was a huge mistake on Pop and it appeared he learned from that so all is good now. 14th man Bonner is and thank God.
    None of you guys are taking account of the number of shots Bonner has attempted in the playoffs either.

In nine years as a Spur, Bonner has attempted 1889 three pointers in the regular season. Which is a very relevant sample size, no?

To compare, in nine years as a Spur, Bonner has attempted ONLY 138 three point shots in the playoffs. That's less than half the shots Bonner has attempted in most regular seasons as a Spur.

Two important variables you need to consider when you are assessing the ability of a player in the playoffs: 1) Sample size vs sample size of regular season. 2) The upgraded defenses who have days/weeks to game-plan.

I personally think " playoff player" or "clutch gene" are terms used by idiots. There's just no such thing -- players are who they are and with an adequate/relevant sample size, percentages will eventually regress or progress to around their mean in the long run. Upgraded defenses and extra minutes/extra energy expended/fatigue are all relevant variables that work against the offensive player -- but are never taken into account.

Every time I hear " playoff performer" or " clutch gene" it makes me realize how dumb fans can really be. Players are who they are.
    Last edited by MaNu4Tres; 07-16-2015 at 12:24 PM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Diaw is not a 3...
    I didn't see who said that, that you are referring to, but I, Timvp, Baseline Bum, and Popovich disagree, at least in regard to him subbing in for our starting three on some occasions during foul trouble situations, or certain matchups. But, feel free to continue protesting Diaw's inclusion at the end of the SF lists of various posters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Royce White? ✈️ ��

Thread Information