Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If cutewizard continues this behavior he/she will need to have posting privileges temporarily removed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though fluky and untilmately meaningless, in the moment, it still felt good to see them stick it to those arrogant pricks who think they're the new Spurs because they were handed 15 seconds of fame courtesy of the genuine article (or what's left of it anyway).

Even though they more or less got away with it, it's pathetic to see DeRozan attempt to defend someone like Siakam because the wing/forward situation on this team is in shambles. You know things are dire when that's even a consideration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan is going to be a combo-forward from now on. Last year, one could claim that him doing so was because the team lacked players at the position. This year, that excuse doesn't exist. If the team had some Kawhi-like guy at the position, DeMar would go back down. But anyone who's not dug in on the idea of "natural positions" should be able to see why DeMar's skill-set and weaknesses suit him best as a pure forward in today's league. The team isn't "getting away" with playing DeRozan there. According to 82games.com DeMar continues to have winning match-ups there. The data is pretty clear at this point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan is going to be a combo-forward from now on. Last year, one could claim that him doing so was because the team lacked players at the position. This year, that excuse doesn't exist. If the team had some Kawhi-like guy at the position, DeMar would go back down. But anyone who's not dug in on the idea of "natural positions" should be able to see why DeMar's skill-set and weaknesses suit him best as a pure forward in today's league. The team isn't "getting away" with playing DeRozan there. According to 82games.com DeMar continues to have winning match-ups there. The data is pretty clear at this point.
    I realize that, but he has no business defending someone like Siakam.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe I've seen your posts on here before but it's nice reading some appreciation for a win against a decent team in a tough arena. I'm all for in and moaning after losses, but not after wins, regardless of how it happened. The Raptors announcers were gleeful in that 3rd qt expecting separation in the scoreboard. And they did get it when Toronto went up 17. San Antonio overcoming that was awesome to watch.

To the poster(s) stating the playoff streak is meaningless and earns a slighty worse draft pick (15-16): Well the alternative is they get a slightly better pick, 14-10. This league has some god awful teams who the Spurs will not surpass at the bottom. I'd very much love to hear what 19 yr old college or foreign player is going to be worth throwing away a playoff berth? You guys trust this same FO who signed Carroll, gave away Bertans, and botched Morris, to strike gold in the draft? Kind of conflicting beliefs there.
    I usually just read. Long time member here.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs got lucky. Pop gambling with Beli and Mills with Spurs ahead by 7? He should’ve put the best defenders already to secure the lead. Man really I don’t what he’s doing.
    This, I am curious why Pop doesn't employ his own version of the death lineup, in certain situations, White, Dijon, Lonnie, Demar and LMA. Not starting or even most of the time but to end games when we don't have to have a three.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I realize that, but he has no business defending someone like Siakam.
    But he's defending him because he's playing his position. If you brought in Carroll instead, then DeRozan is on a perimeter guy, and that's where he struggles the most defensively. I'd rather have him on the ball against a star PF and just know you're gonna have to send some help and even so that the PF will get his than have that PF still get his while DeRozan gives up a big chunk of points to another player. DeRozan's position-defensive numbers aren't good, but they aren't abysmal despite Pop not trying to hide him this year. Last year, Pop would have put Cun out there, and Dante's position stats were so much worse than DeRozan's this year.

If you can get an elite 3-and-D forward, go for it still. Definitely. But I'd almost rather get a legit 6-5 player. I think DeRozan needs to be the clear PF in the Spurs' "death lineup". but there's no reason why Pop should ever have to go for Forbes or Beli, especially when Mills is already on the court. Walker getting legit minutes and living up to them would help, but even still, getting a Bazemore-like wing to fill the 10th spot would be huge and more possible with the assets the team has on hand.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But he's defending him because he's playing his position. If you brought in Carroll instead, then DeRozan is on a perimeter guy, and that's where he struggles the most defensively. I'd rather have him on the ball against a star PF and just know you're gonna have to send some help and even so that the PF will get his than have that PF still get his while DeRozan gives up a big chunk of points to another player. DeRozan's position-defensive numbers aren't good, but they aren't abysmal despite Pop not trying to hide him this year. Last year, Pop would have put Cun out there, and Dante's position stats were so much worse than DeRozan's this year.

If you can get an elite 3-and-D forward, go for it still. Definitely. But I'd almost rather get a legit 6-5 player. I think DeRozan needs to be the clear PF in the Spurs' "death lineup". but there's no reason why Pop should ever have to go for Forbes or Beli, especially when Mills is already on the court. Walker getting legit minutes and living up to them would help, but even still, getting a Bazemore-like wing to fill the 10th spot would be huge and more possible with the assets the team has on hand.
    But that's not his position in the starting lineup. It is when they go sans Lyles/Gay (and occasionally Aldridge, when he's played alongside Poeltl) because Lyles lacks defensive versatility.

Nah, they need someone bigger than Bazemore. He's another 2.5 on a team already overloaded with guards/wings. They need a versatile forward/big wing, who can provide some flexibility and credibly defend the Siakam types. DeRozan should be defending off ball wings, whether they're the nominal "SG", "SF" or "PF".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blazers went backwards when they traded for bazemore. He is really short for a swing these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    great to see the Spurs were able to squeeze out a win despite poor 3 point shooting ... still difficult to figure out when to play DJ or White

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beating 1, 2 and 4 in the East in a span on a seven days, not bad. Two of those wins coming on the road.

This team is far from perfect, but at least keeping it interesting and compe ive. You read enough people around here and it sounds like the end of the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But that's not his position in the starting lineup. It is when they go sans Lyles/Gay (and occasionally Aldridge, when he's played alongside Poeltl) because Lyles lacks defensive versatility.

Nah, they need someone bigger than Bazemore. He's another 2.5 on a team already overloaded with guards/wings. They need a versatile forward/big wing, who can provide some flexibility and credibly defend the Siakam types. DeRozan should be defending off ball wings, whether they're the nominal "SG", "SF" or "PF".
    No. DeRozan shouldn't be playing an off-ball wing. That's how he gets toasted. That's hiding him, and DeMar's been better defensively when Pop has let/forced him to play against bigger guys with less agility. You said you understood that Pop is playing DeRozan at the four because it's a good position for him given his skill-set and the potential for offense around him. Then you turn around and start talking about Lyles' lack of versatility being the reason why DeMar plays there. That's not the reason. Lyles' defense hasn't been the problem. The problem is that with him on the court, the Spurs are slower offensively and their perimeter defense gets exposed if DeRozan is on the court at the same time. If Trey were some defensive god, then yeah, that'd help. But him being average isn't enough to override the other benefits. There are lineups where DeMar can't play the four, and Pop should avoid overplaying him there to keep from running him into the ground. But it's the Spurs' best unit when they can get away with it.

The team lacks good wings in a scenario where they play DeRozan at the four. They have Murray, Walker and White with Lonnie being the only one who can really play the three. Mills is an okay platoon guy, but Forbes and Beli shouldn't be part of that rotation. Getting another guy in the mold of Walker lets the team more easily play three guys in the 6-5 range next to DeRozan and Aldridge, which adds to their defensive versatility while not compromising DeMar playing against PFs on both ends. I don't disagree they're overloaded on wings. But they need better ones on the backend regardless.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love that Spurs won, but it did with Mills/Beli in the come back. Now we get to see more Beli again instead of Lonnie?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Spurs hit 29% 3pt including 1 of 3 wide open shot by Beli that should’ve secured the game not going to the wire. A win’s a win but a fools gold at that. At least Pop inserted Lonnie back for defense and got that crucial rebound. I mean Lonnie was even boxing out Ibaka. Spurs rallied and showed guts, but Raptors helped not making shots. Moving forward I just want to see more Lonnie instead of Beli or Forbes that’s all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Spurs hit 29% 3pt including 1 of 3 wide open shot by Beli that should’ve secured the game not going to the wire. A win’s a win but a fools gold at that. At least Pop inserted Lonnie back for defense and got that crucial rebound. I mean Lonnie was even boxing out Ibaka. Spurs rallied and showed guts, but Raptors helped not making shots. Moving forward I just want to see more Lonnie instead of Beli or Forbes that’s all.
    B-but Beli hit a big time shot

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s like you thought you’re going to see more Lonnie going forward, but instead more Beli/Forbes who didn’t even shot well. And Pop said they played great defense? Had Ziakam made that point blank layup over Demar, that would’ve been a frustrating lost with that weak defensive lineup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s like you thought you’re going to see more Lonnie going forward, but instead more Beli/Forbes who didn’t even shot well. And Pop said they played great defense? Had Ziakam made that point blank layup over Demar, that would’ve been a frustrating lost with that weak defensive lineup

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. DeRozan shouldn't be playing an off-ball wing. That's how he gets toasted. That's hiding him, and DeMar's been better defensively when Pop has let/forced him to play against bigger guys with less agility. You said you understood that Pop is playing DeRozan at the four because it's a good position for him given his skill-set and the potential for offense around him. Then you turn around and start talking about Lyles' lack of versatility being the reason why DeMar plays there. That's not the reason. Lyles' defense hasn't been the problem. The problem is that with him on the court, the Spurs are slower offensively and their perimeter defense gets exposed if DeRozan is on the court at the same time. If Trey were some defensive god, then yeah, that'd help. But him being average isn't enough to override the other benefits. There are lineups where DeMar can't play the four, and Pop should avoid overplaying him there to keep from running him into the ground. But it's the Spurs' best unit when they can get away with it.

The team lacks good wings in a scenario where they play DeRozan at the four. They have Murray, Walker and White with Lonnie being the only one who can really play the three. Mills is an okay platoon guy, but Forbes and Beli shouldn't be part of that rotation. Getting another guy in the mold of Walker lets the team more easily play three guys in the 6-5 range next to DeRozan and Aldridge, which adds to their defensive versatility while not compromising DeMar playing against PFs on both ends. I don't disagree they're overloaded on wings. But they need better ones on the backend regardless.
    Except Siakam has more agility and the is the exact type DeRozan has no business defending considering his poor lateral quickness. Luckily, he was more concerned with trying to post him for profit.

You misunderstood. Even by '20 standards, DeRozan isn't a true four, in the way Gay is. What he is, is someone who needs the defensive flexibility to defend the opposing 2, 3 or 4, depending on matchup; which Lyles and Forbes don't allow for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop looking like a genius all of a sudden up in here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^It's almost like the Spurs should have a SF on the team (that can play unlike that geriatric Carroll).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love that Spurs won, but it did with Mills/Beli in the come back. Now we get to see more Beli again instead of Lonnie?
    This dude gets it. All that slurping from this win after the game and I knew better than to hype up this squad. No way this loser team deserves a playoff spot. Give it to Memphis.

Thread Information