Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't seen anything downloading yet. I guess they are rolling this out in waves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i already dl, but havnt bother installin it...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't seen anything downloading yet. I guess they are rolling this out in waves.
    You checked the hidden folders in your C: drive? I didn't get a confirmation to upgrade but I did have the files ready to go in that hidden folder (C:\$windows.~BT). I just ran this tool (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d=ms_wol_win10) and the thing took off installing itself. I didn't even have to create a DVD or USB boot disk which I assumed was the purpose of this tool.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    One of my Windows 7 boxes is already asking me to "pre-register" for a copy...
    Both my Win 7 tower and Win 8.1 laptops has been pestering me.

I hate this 8.1 so much, after I finish here, I'm d/l-ing Win-X.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You checked the hidden folders in your C: drive? I didn't get a confirmation to upgrade but I did have the files ready to go in that hidden folder (C:\$windows.~BT). I just ran this tool (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d=ms_wol_win10) and the thing took off installing itself. I didn't even have to create a DVD or USB boot disk which I assumed was the purpose of this tool.
    Thanks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    any reviews from u clowns so far?

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so now I still have 2 leftover recovery par ions (450mb and 700mb from win 8.0 and win 8.1) on a small 32 gig tablet, is it safe to delete those? and what is the best way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So when do I get this Windows 10? I ordered it but haven't gotten anything. This the same with any of you?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So when do I get this Windows 10? I ordered it but haven't gotten anything. This the same with any of you?
    Check my post 28 in this thread and check if you have that hidden folder with about 5.8 GB of downloaded files. You can force update your computer using that tool I linked in the post without needing confirmation from Microsoft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Finalized" is a strong word... just had to fix one of our apps that broke in Windows 10...

First, the installation, I'm glad I picked "Custom" for the settings on the installer. Holy , the "Express" (recommended) settings are basically every phone home/spy option turned on.

Then, I look why part of our app wasn't working, and it turns out it's because Microsoft finally implemented Bonjour/ZeroConf themselves. I'm thinking, good , I can just use their and I'm good to go.

I look up their API to use what they implemented and find this:

Note
    In this release, the Windows.Networking.ServiceDiscovery.Dnssd namespace is only supported for JavaScript programmers. Attempting to use the API from other languages will compile, but fail at run time. This issue will be corrected in a future release.
    Well, , my app is written in C#, there's no way in I'm going to re-write the whole thing in Javascript. So I go ahead and use the API anyways, and holy crap no wonder they don't want you to use it. It kinda, sorta wants to work. It's just buggy as (you can register services, but cannot deregister them when the app quits, which is a big ing issue). Sometimes the API won't work at all, and you have to call a function 3-4 times, and suddenly it kicks in.

I can't use my older code, which did the same thing but actually worked perfectly fine, because they're blocking the port with this giant turd.

I can't understand how this s get away with releasing this kind of . If we put out a product like this out the door, we would lose customers left and right. It's just ridiculous.

/rant

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First, the installation, I'm glad I picked "Custom" for the settings on the installer. Holy , the "Express" (recommended) settings are basically every phone home/spy option turned on.
    Do you need Pro to be able to turn that off on install?

I can't understand how this s get away with releasing this kind of . If we put out a product like this out the door, we would lose customers left and right. It's just ridiculous.
    Who the cares? You get Candy Crush now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are ppl still surprised a brand new windows OS is not fully functional at release????

Were they burn yesterday?

Ppl expecting a fully functioning windows at release time probably still wait for Santa on Christmas's eve imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why are ppl still surprised a brand new windows OS is not fully functional at release????

Were they burn yesterday?

Ppl expecting a fully functioning windows at release time probably still wait for Santa on Christmas's eve imo
    So, basically, it's like every other OS ever released.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And lol at some software guys moving their dev to windows 10 immediately.

Recipe for disaster.

I'll move my dev team in no less than 6 months

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's not *us* moving to Windows 10, it's customers upgrading and finding out Windows 10 broke certain programs, then writing to let us know. They paid for the program, they expect a fix.

We still release a Windows 8.1 version and a Windows 8 version too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you need Pro to be able to turn that off on install?
    I've no idea. I was upgrading from a Windows 8.1 ultimate license.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I turned off Cortana, now I hit the search bar and it's full of "what's happening now" web content from msn.com...

I'm sticking with Wndows 7 and Windows 8 on our other boxes, tbh...

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    "Finalized" is a strong word... just had to fix one of our apps that broke in Windows 10...

Then, I look why part of our app wasn't working, and it turns out it's because Microsoft finally implemented Bonjour/ZeroConf themselves. I'm thinking, good , I can just use their and I'm good to go.

I look up their API to use what they implemented and find this:

Well, , my app is written in C#, there's no way in I'm going to re-write the whole thing in Javascript. So I go ahead and use the API anyways, and holy crap no wonder they don't want you to use it. It kinda, sorta wants to work. It's just buggy as (you can register services, but cannot deregister them when the app quits, which is a big ing issue). Sometimes the API won't work at all, and you have to call a function 3-4 times, and suddenly it kicks in.

I can't use my older code, which did the same thing but actually worked perfectly fine, because they're blocking the port with this giant turd.

/rant
    LOL...

By all means, rant some more. I hate Microsoft for the way they have a stranglehold on software, and put out bad products because there is no one else to turn to.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've no idea. I was upgrading from a Windows 8.1 ultimate license.
    So $190 Pro or KM o? Hmmm....

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    I turned off Cortana, now I hit the search bar and it's full of "what's happening now" web content from msn.com...

I recently bought a win 8.1 laptop and I hate the OS. Since it isn't for serious work, it didn't matter. It's a MSI gaming laptop with the GTX950M. I still have my win XP desktop and win 7 tower. I only bought the 8.1 because I knew the win 10 was coming out, and decided to take a gamble that is was as good as advertised. I have a coworker who has be using win 10 as a beta tester and he likes it.

Anyway, he said it was available the 29th I think. Well, when went to d/l it, Microsoft said no till 8/1/15. It's 8/2/15, and I still can't get it. I guess I am on some waiting list, probably due to the volume of request they have. They say I will be notified when I can have it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I upgraded a notebook from 8.1 to 10, which I think is an upgrade over that OS.

My Windows 7 PC, I'm leaving as is. 7 is pretty solid, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So $190 Pro or KM o? Hmmm....
    We get our (limited amount of) licenses from MSDN. Wouldn't upgrading your current OS (7 or 8.1) to a Pro/Ultimate license be cheaper?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I upgraded a notebook from 8.1 to 10, which I think is an upgrade over that OS.

My Windows 7 PC, I'm leaving as is. 7 is pretty solid, IMO.
    There's some positives, like being able to turn off tablet mode and actually have a reasonable start menu. But it's not really much different from Windows 8.1...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I recently bought a win 8.1 laptop and I hate the OS. Since it isn't for serious work, it didn't matter. It's a MSI gaming laptop with the GTX950M. I still have my win XP desktop and win 7 tower. I only bought the 8.1 because I knew the win 10 was coming out, and decided to take a gamble that is was as good as advertised. I have a coworker who has be using win 10 as a beta tester and he likes it.

Anyway, he said it was available the 29th I think. Well, when went to d/l it, Microsoft said no till 8/1/15. It's 8/2/15, and I still can't get it. I guess I am on some waiting list, probably due to the volume of request they have. They say I will be notified when I can have it.
    You can upgrade to Windows 10 immediately by running the Media Creation Tool. Here are the instructions:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/07/...dows-10-update

or

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...n-tool-install

That's how I upgraded ours...

Thread Information