My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be appealed, but the Supreme Court refused to hear a similar case last year. I'm not sure there's enough pro-camping cities to call it a trend, but it does seem to be more prevalent now than say five or ten years ago.

A federal judge decided last week that the Southern Oregon city of 37,500 violated its homeless residents’ Eighth Amendment rights by excluding them from parks without due process and citing them for sleeping outside. The ruling builds on 2018′s landmark Martin v. City of Boise case that said cities cannot make it illegal to sleep or rest outside without providing people with sufficient indoor alternatives.
    https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...pass-case.html
    Last edited by Winehole23; 08-11-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Moscow's McConnell blocking stimulus, there will be 100Ks of evictions, foreclosures yielding people sleeping rough

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With Moscow's McConnell blocking stimulus, there will be 100Ks of evictions, foreclosures yielding people sleeping rough
    Hard to see how that's avoidable now, but it's worth pointing out the biggest burden here falls on the states. I've heard a federal eviction ban would only bind federally owned properties, is that right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to see how that's avoidable now, but it's worth pointing out the biggest burden here falls on the states. I've heard a federal eviction ban would only bind federally owned properties, is that right?
    yep, only 25% of rentals are Federal,

so 75% not subject to Fed eviction ban

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thread

and just generally speaking, would recommend this guy's youtube channel. really fascinating (and somewhat depressing) content on urban/suburban development and the problems that come with the way we've done things

one of his earlier videos

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Homelessness on this level just happens in capitalistic society as large as ours.
    Why should we even need a plan, it just happens, tough luck."
    psuedo Darwinism and all that rubbish...

Thread Information