Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I make love to pressure. CapitalEmm's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People saying the Spurs aren’t going anywhere are probably the same people that thought Kawhi wasn’t leaving .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The thing is, you can interpret this announcement any way you want. Only over time can we really say which way this is going. I doubt the Spurs have decided anything at this point.

One thing I’m curious about is the balance of team income from home games (tickets and concessions et cetera) vs television. Now, I think teams ridiculously make money from the arena year round for whatever events are there. Publicly subsidized for private profit, but need clarification. Austin is a better city to have an arena in general but probably more compe ion for events, because I think UT has its own new arena that Matthew McConaughey was an investor in; I don’t keep up withis though, I’ll admit.

Finally, most importantly in my opinion, the Brooklyn Nets eminent domain boondoggle should open our eyes that building an arena is really just the legal excuse to take over a neighborhood for a larger real estate deal that only includes an arena but isn’t limited to it; for Brooklyn it was condos and retail space I believe.

If I was a developer looking to pull this type of move, honestly, between the cost of Austin real estate fair market value and east side SA, I would push to tear down the Alamo Dome, start over, build a load of condos and retail space right on the edge of downtown SA. It’s definitely growing quickly there.

So anyway, that’s one of many possible predictions based on dubious real estate practices that would actually keep the team in SA. It’s still a lot of bull , but would keep the team here and probably the best of all real world scenarios.
    The television revenue is shared league wide I believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs: "We aren't looking to move the team from San Antonio"

SpursTalk: "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?"

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    "there's a lot of concern about what you're doing."

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs: "We aren't looking to move the team from San Antonio"

SpursTalk: "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!?"
    And Clay Bennett said he wasn't looking to move the Sonics out of Seattle.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let’s just not believe what anybody says, it’s not like we’ve been fear mongering about the Spurs moving out of SA for the last decade let’s continue for a decade more! Jesus, some guys are fully invested into this schtick their entire lives.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This does give me some "methinks he doth protest too much" vibes. My concern over the Spurs moving was a 0.5 out of 10 prior to all this, now it's a 1.5. I highly doubt they move, but it seems obvious from all the talk that some higher-ups are nervous about the prospect.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The flip side of it is imagine if the Spurs and their ownership weren’t doing things to promote their brand and invest i. The future? In that scenario, coupled with a few down years and an aging arena they probably would be forced to move.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing being said about the richest dude in the world by a long shot now setting up shop in Austin. He can wipe his tush with Holts pesos. This was always an issue with the Spurs, even during the glory days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So let’s just not believe what anybody says, it’s not like we’ve been fear mongering about the Spurs moving out of SA for the last decade let’s continue for a decade more! Jesus, some guys are fully invested into this schtick their entire lives.
    Yeah teams never leave town after town refuses to gift them a new arena. It's not a problem this minute but the Spurs will be begging for taxpayers to build them a new arena in the next 3 or 4 years.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    don't forgot that the spurs also sold some ownership to a consulting firm or whatever. that group only cares about $$.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    don't forgot that the spurs also sold some ownership to a consulting firm or whatever. that group only cares about $$.
    20% of the Spurs to some group from San Francisco, 10% to scammer Dell.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah teams never leave town after town refuses to gift them a new arena. It's not a problem this minute but the Spurs will be begging for taxpayers to build them a new arena in the next 3 or 4 years.
    This is probably true. The thing is even a relatively stingy offer from SA/Bexar will likely be a whole lot more generous than one from Austin/Travis. The MLS team tried to big Austin into giving it an existing park right on the river and ended up on a toxic waste dump a bit of a hike away from the Domain. I think a decent deal on a downtown arena will be enough to convince the current owners to keep the Spurs in San Antonio for another 20 years.

All bets are off if some tech buys the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Clay Bennett said he wasn't looking to move the Sonics out of Seattle.
    Clay Bennett had recently bought the Sonics in 2006 with a "good faith agreement" to keep them in Seattle. By 2007, he had already started the move to OKC.

The Holt family has been pushing to keep the team in San Antonio since 1993, and as recently as THIS ARTICLE is saying that is their intention.

Come on, bum. Let's not compare apples to oranges here.

Also, as I said before... SAN ANTONIO has accomplished more than the Sonics or Thunder ever did. You don't just move a key franchise easily, but y'all can keep ing over the possibility all you want....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clay Bennett had recently bought the Sonics in 2006 with a "good faith agreement" to keep them in Seattle. By 2007, he had already started the move to OKC.

The Holt family has been pushing to keep the team in San Antonio since 1993, and as recently as THIS ARTICLE is saying that is their intention.

Come on, bum. Let's not compare apples to oranges here.

Also, as I said before... SAN ANTONIO has accomplished more than the Sonics or Thunder ever did. You don't just move a key franchise easily, but y'all can keep ing over the possibility all you want....
    Of course the franchise will be moved if San Antonio or Bexar County doesn't gift the Spurs a boatload of welfare money to build a new arena. Have you paid no attention to the last 25 years of professional sports?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course the franchise will be moved if San Antonio or Bexar County doesn't gift the Spurs a boatload of welfare money to build a new arena. Have you paid no attention to the last 25 years of professional sports?
    Been here the whole time, buddy...so let's agree to disagree.

Hopefully, I'll see you at a Spurs game in San Antonio in 2032.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is probably true. The thing is even a relatively stingy offer from SA/Bexar will likely be a whole lot more generous than one from Austin/Travis. The MLS team tried to big Austin into giving it an existing park right on the river and ended up on a toxic waste dump a bit of a hike away from the Domain. I think a decent deal on a downtown arena will be enough to convince the current owners to keep the Spurs in San Antonio for another 20 years.

All bets are off if some tech buys the team.
    What do you consider a decent deal? I mean the Spurs only paid 24% of the cost for the AT&T Center. Then had the nerve to charge the county a quarter million to use AT&T Center as a polling location in the 2020 election.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been here the whole time, buddy...so let's agree to disagree.

Hopefully, I'll see you at a Spurs game in San Antonio in 2032.
    You disagree that teams hold their cities hostage to build them new arenas and stadiums and then leave when they don't? If San Antonio is such an attractive market that could hold onto a franchise without massive welfare payments then where is our NFL team? Our MLB team?

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you consider a decent deal? I mean the Spurs only paid 24% of the cost for the AT&T Center. Then had the nerve to charge the county a quarter million to use AT&T Center as a polling location in the 2020 election.
    Something like that, though I'm guessing the city might be willing to pony up this time to have an 18-20k arena downtown and let the county suck on it when the rodeo isn't in town. If the Alamodome stops getting NCAA tournament bids in the next decade, it's going to be easier to decide to kill it. It looks like UTSA is jamming all the venues it can on the main campus so it can build a football stadium at Campus West. I could absolutely be wrong but things could work out for a new downtown SA arena in 10-15 years. Best bet for the Austin area seems to be for an arena near one of the new Domain clones that are planned for NE Austin and Round Rock. You have to squint hard to see that happening but there is going to be an obscene amount of growth up here in the next decade.

I'm sure whatever en y subsidizing them will try to learn from past mistakes, but the Spurs will never get anything close to that kind of deal in Austin. Round Rock/Williamson County? Maybe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You disagree that teams hold their cities hostage to build them new arenas and stadiums and then leave when they don't? If San Antonio is such an attractive market that could hold onto a franchise without massive welfare payments then where is our NFL team? Our MLB team?
    San Antonio will never be the market for an NFL or MLB team with the Cowboys/Texans and Astros/Rangers ruling the market. They tried that with the Alamodome and failed to draw an NFL team, and now we are lucky to show a ing bowl game once a year.

Austin is more likely to draw another major league team than SA at this point.

San Antonio does have the benefit of being most successful and storied NBA franchise in Texas, and that's why it will continue to be in San Antonio.

The metro is ing huge and only expanding into New Braunfels, San Marcos, Austin, etc....which is why this effort from the Spurs B&E group is smart to tap into that market, and not a sign they are trying to jump ship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio will never be the market for an NFL or MLB team with the Cowboys/Texans and Astros/Rangers ruling the market. They tried that with the Alamodome and failed to draw an NFL team, and now we are lucky to show a ing bowl game once a year.

Austin is more likely to draw another major league team than SA at this point.

San Antonio does have the benefit of being most successful and storied NBA franchise in Texas, and that's why it will continue to be in San Antonio.

The metro is ing huge and only expanding into New Braunfels, San Marcos, Austin, etc....which is why this effort from the Spurs B&E group is smart to tap into that market, and not a sign they are trying to jump ship.
    austin will never get another pro team, but a suburb of SA or Austin might.

on a larger point, conta Benefactor, land costs are much higher now than 20yrs ago. it's much harder to build new arenas. I think in all sports, the era of free stadiums is over, cities don't have the $$$ to do it. Sports are moving to a niche audience with the death of broadcast. Maybe the NBA finds a better streaming partner, but the days of infinite money are coming to an end. Politics are polarized too, so much harder to cater to a broad audience. Unless nba can go international, it's probably peaked in this country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something like that, though I'm guessing the city might be willing to pony up this time to have an 18-20k arena downtown and let the county suck on it when the rodeo isn't in town. If the Alamodome stops getting NCAA tournament bids in the next decade, it's going to be easier to decide to kill it. It looks like UTSA is jamming all the venues it can on the main campus so it can build a football stadium at Campus West. I could absolutely be wrong but things could work out for a new downtown SA arena in 10-15 years. Best bet for the Austin area seems to be for an arena near one of the new Domain clones that are planned for NE Austin and Round Rock. You have to squint hard to see that happening but there is going to be an obscene amount of growth up here in the next decade.

I'm sure whatever en y subsidizing them will try to learn from past mistakes, but the Spurs will never get anything close to that kind of deal in Austin. Round Rock/Williamson County? Maybe.
    God I hope not. Would suck to see San Antonio have to dump Pre K or something else useful to give millionaires and billionaires a new arena for 75% off. Not sure why the city would be so eager though, these stadiums never pay for themselves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting that they’re planning a game in the Alamodome. Can they demo that thing and use the location for next stadium?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe to get Zach Lavine they'll give him the wink wink that if he signs and extends another contract on top he and Dejounte can be the faces of leadership that take a team to Seattle

Thread Information