Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet Poeltl was the only one who played big minutes and was +3 while on the floor. This game is a perfect example of why Keldon should be traded to improve the team. He lead the team in scoring but was -18–worst on the team. JRich scored 2 points and was at 0. I know it’s just one game, but it’s typical of the whole season.
    Don't think Keldon should be traded, he should just be moved to the 3 and we get a real power forward. As much as I on Poeltl, he is the only thing we have resembling a rim protector on this team. When he is getting cooked it aint like the Spurs can do anything defensively to help him at all. Keldon doesn't offer an resistance around the rim, doesn't defend the rim, isn't a great defensive rebounder, etc.

Him being +3 just means he was on the floor when the T Pups were missing wide open shots, not cause he played well. He had one of the worst defensive performance I have seen from a big in a long time tonight.

Good for the tank, but in order for us to become a respectable nba team again, Poeltl has to either be gone or be a backup, and Keldon has to be moved to the 3 so we can get a real PF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What a weird season. Can’t even tank at this point because the Spurs aren’t going to catch the six teams “ahead” of them in the lottery.
    Yeah...unless some lotto balls bounce our way, I see us back in the 8-12 position again when all is said and done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    es want to tank but about losing. That’s just nagging
    Especially games like this. It would be one thing if the Spurs blew a late lead or something because, win or lose, I want to see these young guys learn how to close out games which has been a problem all season long. I'm all for the tank at this point, but it's still frustrating to watch the team fall apart in the 4th quarter...that wasn't really the case tonight.

Spurs were never really in this game, and we got to see KAT drop a 60-piece so I thought it was a pretty entertaining game despite the loss.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet Poeltl was the only one who played big minutes and was +3 while on the floor. This game is a perfect example of why Keldon should be traded to improve the team. He lead the team in scoring but was -18–worst on the team. JRich scored 2 points and was at 0. I know it’s just one game, but it’s typical of the whole season.
    Jeez, it's almost like stats manage to actually capture what happens in the game, instead of the "eye test" of stupid people who don't understand what they're watching yet are the first ones to talk like they do. Box +/- is not a good stat to throw around for single games most times, but it's great in this scenario, perfectly captures what happened. I don't even want to look at Zollins' +/- because I already know how awful it is, yet I don't see anyone complaining about him... Interesting.

It's absolutely been a trend for the entire season too, and after it's over, the entire team/lineups +/- should be telling of who actually contributed to winning and who didn't.

On that same note, it's insane that Keldon had a 30 point game but had the worst +/- of the entire team. Jesus. I know he's been awful on D and his job at "PF", but that's some next-level .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Went and checked anyways.

Jakob 29 minutes, 9-12 FGM (3/4 FTs is the most impressive part here lol), 21 points, only positive +/- of the starters with +3.

Zollins 19 minutes, 2-7 FGM, 5 points, and a -13 +/-, second worst on the team after our starting PF.

But sure, one's definitely the problem and the other faultless... Lmao. At this point it's obvious that people don't like Jakob or his playstyle and put their personal feelings of it before their evaluation of his play (interestingly, Rudy Gobert faces this exact same issue with Jazz fans and media alike, and is also scapegoated for the incompetence of his teammates).

Like him or hate him, the stats never lie (though they can be interpreted in a twisted way; not like that's happening here, but still).

E: also wanna add, re: Keldon, that Taurean Prince ate him up last night. Prince had a great game, scoring 13pts (season average of 6ppg) and just outhustling, outmuscling, and outdoing Keldon at every turn. I actually expected his boxscore to be better than it shows, because he popped off the screen last night. That's exactly the kind of PF the Spurs should be aiming for, and he was a great help to KAT's big night.
    Last edited by Sugus; 03-15-2022 at 04:47 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Went and checked anyways.

Jakob 29 minutes, 9-12 FGM (3/4 FTs is the most impressive part here lol), 21 points, only positive +/- of the starters with +3.

Zollins 19 minutes, 2-7 FGM, 5 points, and a -13 +/-, second worst on the team after our starting PF.

But sure, one's definitely the problem and the other faultless... Lmao. At this point it's obvious that people don't like Jakob or his playstyle and put their personal feelings of it before their evaluation of his play (interestingly, Rudy Gobert faces this exact same issue with Jazz fans and media alike, and is also scapegoated for the incompetence of his teammates).

Like him or hate him, the stats never lie (though they can be interpreted in a twisted way; not like that's happening here, but still).

E: also wanna add, re: Keldon, that Taurean Prince ate him up last night. Prince had a great game, scoring 13pts (season average of 6ppg) and just outhustling, outmuscling, and outdoing Keldon at every turn. I actually expected his boxscore to be better than it shows, because he popped off the screen last night. That's exactly the kind of PF the Spurs should be aiming for, and he was a great help to KAT's big night.
    New rule, if the guy you’re guarding goes off for 60 and 15 then don’t bring up the plus/minus stat ever.
    Also are you saying you want Prince? Bc the dude sucks. He’s been bounced around the league for a good reason. He’s like a worse version of Lonnie (not playstyle) but more like where Lonnie would have one good game and 3 bad ones, that is Prince as well except his ratio is worse.

Keldons shortcomings are bad coaching not his fault. PJ Tucker sucked his last year in Houston but was awesome last year in Mil. Why? Bc they didn’t play him against people 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier every ing night. We are just lucky that KJ is putting up with this bull bc nobody else should or would do this. We need an actual PF. Draymond is more right about KJ than Spurstalk is.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New rule, if the guy you’re guarding goes off for 60 and 15 then don’t bring up the plus/minus stat ever.
    Also are you saying you want Prince? Bc the dude sucks. He’s been bounced around the league for a good reason. He’s like a worse version of Lonnie (not playstyle) but more like where Lonnie would have one good game and 3 bad ones, that is Prince as well except his ratio is worse.

Keldons shortcomings are bad coaching not his fault. PJ Tucker sucked his last year in Houston but was awesome last year in Mil. Why? Bc they didn’t play him against people 4 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier every ing night. We are just lucky that KJ is putting up with this bull bc nobody else should or would do this. We need an actual PF. Draymond is more right about KJ than Spurstalk is.
    One of the few times I’ll side with KobesAchilles over Sugus

its crazy to fully rely on stats to tell the story just as it is crazy to fully rely on one’s eye test to tell it

the former doesn’t allow folks to give grace and patience to developing players, missing out on making good takes on players like DJ…and maybe soon Keldon if he makes another leap

the latter doesnt allow folks to appreciate players who clearly make a positive impact yet doesn’t show up on the box score

people don’t like to use a good balance of both eye test and stats, do they? It’s always extreme opinions coming from either end of the spectrum…

in the case of tonight,

Poeltl isn’t the sole reason KAT went off. KAT is the biggest reason KAT went off. Other reasons include poor rotations on defense and too slow to help when Poeltl let KAT drove past him. So I don’t agree at all with these knee jerk posts to kick Poeltl off the team.

Keldon’s box +\- is skewed by the fact that he was on the floor when Minnesota made their biggest run. It’s not to excuse Keldon’s inconsistent defense, but it’s a ridiculous assertion to say that it was because of him that the Spurs lost the game as if he’s a huge liability. The game tells a bigger story than the numbers. Also, what is this nonsense that Prince destroyed him in that matchup? Don’t even get me started…

Daryl Morey would have ten championships right now if it was all about the numbers.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-15-2022 at 09:17 PM.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We got a chance at Sac
    Good point. Also need to worry about Portland outtanking us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lol, there's no rules to stats, just context when they apply or don't. I simply provided stats to the context. I didn't say Jakob had a great defensive night or anything, just that the criticism (and moreso, the scapegoating and singling out) are unwarranted. Not quite the same, is it?

I'm not saying I want Prince the are you reading, man? Can you actually read what I write, or is the back-and-forth just gonna be me correcting you on what you think I said? Jesus, Texas reading comp programs need a boost or something. I said: Taurean Prince ate Keldon up (he did), Prince went above his scoring average (he did), and he played a good game. And yes, I'd like a player of his style of play, though obviously better calibre; he does a little bit of everything, is a strong and athletic presence at the 4. The fact that he sucks is irrelevant because I do not want Taurean Prince himself. Am I going too fast, or are we good with this here?

Lastly, I do agree on Keldon, he's being put in a position to fail. That much is clear. But, when he does fail, well, why can't I blame him? Again, it's worrysome that he had the lowest +/- on the team with him scoring a 30 burger, and it's been an ongoing trend for him this season (his bad or inadequate defense outweighing his offensive production, I mean). Can the problem be solved by simply drafting/playing a competent PF alongside him? I'm not so sure, because right now he doesn't have the bodytype to be a 3, I think he'd get beat by the nimbler players in the league. But it'd certainly be better than what's happening now, and is a more interesting discussion to me anyways (for the record, and you mention it, I agree with Draymond; Keldon should be looking to shed mass in spite of making his driving game slightly tougher if he wants to be a long-term starter, his 3pt shot is already SF level).

Jeez, takes me longer to re-tell my arguments than it did to make them in the first place, smh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the few times I’ll side with KobesAchilles over Sugus
    Bahaha it's alright, we can perfectly disagree. It's worth pointing out though, that he and I are seemingly arguing different things, and I actually agree with you; "Poeltl isn’t the sole reason KAT went off. KAT is the biggest reason KAT went off."

Poeltl isn’t the sole reason KAT went off. KAT is the biggest reason KAT went off. Other reasons include poor rotations on defense and too slow to help when Poeltl let KAT drove past him. So I don’t agree at all with these knee jerk posts to kick Poeltl off the team.
    Exactly, all great reasons, and all strengthen my original point, which is that singling out Rudy, I mean Jakob, for the defensive shortcomings is ridiculous and myopic. We're in the same page after all, my guy! I literally just posted the stats as a compliment to the "eye test", which is tough when people come out of the games having "watched" such different things... Stats help there to dispel these myths, but I'm not only relying on that. I mentioned Keldon (& company, it's a team-wide issue)'s lack of actual help too. You don't contain a star big like KAT with just one player, and defense has always been a 5-man job, no matter the talent of C you have. Even Timmy had great defenders alongside him to help him out.

Keldon’s box +\- is skewed by the fact that he was on the floor when Minnesota made their biggest run. It’s not to excuse Keldon’s inconsistent defense, but it’s a ridiculous assertion to say that it was because of him that the Spurs lost the game as if he’s a huge liability. The game tells a bigger story than the numbers. Also, what is this nonsense that Prince destroyed him in that matchup? Don’t even get me started…

Daryl Morey would have ten championships right now if it was all about the numbers.
    Ok, we're getting to the more interesting (IMO) part of the discussion here. You like numbers, D, right? Is there an easy way to check Keldon's +/- numbers throughout the season, as compared to his scoring production? Beyond the obvious that it's not just Keldon losing us games (if I implied that, I didn't mean to, but it was too noticeable to pass up), I have this feeling that the more Keldon scores, the less he can focus on the (already taxing) defensive assignments, and thus the team suffers more than if he were to focus on defense for the most part.

Of course, he should be able to do both, and in a scenario where he can play SF or whatever, I'd love to see the intensity on both ends; but given the situation the Spurs are in, I'd like to see him focus on D more than he does. Too often it feels like he's either too slow to play defense at all, or doesn't care enough to, or is too tired from scoring to do it. Anyways it's just my personal perspective of watching him this season, and I'd like to see if the numbers match my "eye test".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol, there's no rules to stats, just context when they apply or don't. I simply provided stats to the context. I didn't say Jakob had a great defensive night or anything, just that the criticism (and moreso, the scapegoating and singling out) are unwarranted. Not quite the same, is it?

I'm not saying I want Prince the are you reading, man? Can you actually read what I write, or is the back-and-forth just gonna be me correcting you on what you think I said? Jesus, Texas reading comp programs need a boost or something. I said: Taurean Prince ate Keldon up (he did), Prince went above his scoring average (he did), and he played a good game. And yes, I'd like a player of his style of play, though obviously better calibre; he does a little bit of everything, is a strong and athletic presence at the 4. The fact that he sucks is irrelevant because I do not want Taurean Prince himself. Am I going too fast, or are we good with this here?

Lastly, I do agree on Keldon, he's being put in a position to fail. That much is clear. But, when he does fail, well, why can't I blame him? Again, it's worrysome that he had the lowest +/- on the team with him scoring a 30 burger, and it's been an ongoing trend for him this season (his bad or inadequate defense outweighing his offensive production, I mean). Can the problem be solved by simply drafting/playing a competent PF alongside him? I'm not so sure, because right now he doesn't have the bodytype to be a 3, I think he'd get beat by the nimbler players in the league. But it'd certainly be better than what's happening now, and is a more interesting discussion to me anyways (for the record, and you mention it, I agree with Draymond; Keldon should be looking to shed mass in spite of making his driving game slightly tougher if he wants to be a long-term starter, his 3pt shot is already SF level).

Jeez, takes me longer to re-tell my arguments than it did to make them in the first place, smh.
    So you want a PF just like Prince but not Prince himself? Except that you want a better PF than Prince but who is just like him. That’s not confusing at all. Btw, Prince is literally good at nothing. He doesn’t shoot the ball well, he doesn’t defend well, he doesn’t rebound well, he doesn’t pass well, and for a good chunk of his career he was a malcontent. We could sign a PF just like Prince from the GL and you can argue we have a equal to/better PF on our team in KBD. If Minny had an actual PF they would be a top team in the west tbh bc it’s their only real weakness.

When the guy you’re guarding gets 60 on you then you deserve criticism or being “scapegoated.” How many points can a guy score before Jak isn’t scapegoated? 65? 70? I just want to know what the floor is before I can rightfully criticize him for ty defense and don’t have to hear anybody bring up his ing plus/minus to defend him.

Here’s something that’s also not being talked about. Jak is getting worse on defense. It’s his calling card. He moves his feet well and rotates well and can switch onto smaller players better than other centers. Except he is losing that card and people are just finding new goal posts. Well he struggles against actual good big men and is good against everybody else. Not like we will face these good big men in the playoffs or anything. Jak isn’t worth a 4 year deal. People keep saying to max extend him (in years not money) and I’m saying hold up a bit. Why are we so willing to commit to him long term? Is Jak going to get better? Probably not. Then why keep him for 4 long years? I would be more willing to sign him for a 2 year 40 million deal than a 4 year deal. We get two more years of Jak not making any difference in winning. His fan boys get to say well if he had a better team and a better situation and 2 other all nba players then Jak would be perfect.

Then reality slaps these Jak yuckers in the face and we get rid of him. Bc if we don’t offer him a short deal then we will still have the same result in 2 years except we will have an expensive back up big once he’s benched in year 3.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you want a PF just like Prince but not Prince himself?
    Jesus, it's not that hard, is it? Why don't we look at my comment again?

(...)Prince had a great game, scoring 13pts (season average of 6ppg) and just outhustling, outmuscling, and outdoing Keldon at every turn. That's exactly the kind of PF the Spurs should be aiming for, (...)
    Where did I talk about his malcontentness or how he shoots or whatever ? I literally was only talking about his athleticism, his hustle, his jack-of-all-tradedness, which popped out to me off this game (in contrast to Keldon's all-O, no-D performance). Again, I don't give a about Prince nor like him, but he certainly fit a prototype that I'd like the Spurs to pursue in the future in his game last night. We've had better discussions than this, KA, c'mon.

When the guy you’re guarding gets 60 on you then you deserve criticism or being “scapegoated.” How many points can a guy score before Jak isn’t scapegoated? 65? 70? I just want to know what the floor is before I can rightfully criticize him for ty defense and don’t have to hear anybody bring up his ing plus/minus to defend him.
    I brought up his +/- because it's a small but poignant representation of what happened last night: the blame wasn't on Jakob alone, but the entire team. Defense is not played 1 on 1, it's 5 on 5, especially against superstars. Yes, KAT beat Jakob, but he also beat the late double teams that we tried to send him, he beat Keldon's lousy help, and most of all he "beat" himself by having a career night. He was making near-logo 3's... Hard to contain a C doing that. Anyways, the criticism was exactly that, in relation to scapegoating Jakob as the only culprit, when the reality is that the team's defense as a whole is , on multiple levels.

Here’s something that’s also not being talked about. Jak is getting worse on defense. It’s his calling card. He moves his feet well and rotates well and can switch onto smaller players better than other centers. Except he is losing that card and people are just finding new goal posts. Well he struggles against actual good big men and is good against everybody else. Not like we will face these good big men in the playoffs or anything. Jak isn’t worth a 4 year deal. People keep saying to max extend him (in years not money) and I’m saying hold up a bit. Why are we so willing to commit to him long term? Is Jak going to get better? Probably not. Then why keep him for 4 long years? I would be more willing to sign him for a 2 year 40 million deal than a 4 year deal. We get two more years of Jak not making any difference in winning. His fan boys get to say well if he had a better team and a better situation and 2 other all nba players then Jak would be perfect.

Then reality slaps these Jak yuckers in the face and we get rid of him. Bc if we don’t offer him a short deal then we will still have the same result in 2 years except we will have an expensive back up big once he’s benched in year 3.
    Jak's had better and worse stretches over the season, but idk what you're looking at to say he's definitively getting worse (I understand you mean in a progressive way?). I'd love some RAPTOR or whatever stats to see if it's backed up; the team's current stealth-tanking condition doesn't really lend itself to an accurate analysis one way or the other, IMO.

The team is far, far from having to worry about "good big men in the playoffs" and a key piece of that is having an actual PF, who could perfectly bang alongside Jakob and help out on these Cs. Again, defense isn't 1-on-1, it's 5-on-5, and especially in the modern, switching-happy, hyper-flowing NBA, it doesn't matter if you have 2 or 3 great defenders at any position if the other 2 can be exploited (again, look at the Jazz, and see you're making the exact same myopic criticisms of Jakob that they make of Rudy Gobert; almost like Jak's like 70% of Gobert or something... ).

Stating that Jak "probably won't get better" in the 4 years that will comprise his prime is stupid, especially considering he got better this season. Stupid opinion trying to pass off as fact.

Jak is definitely worth a 4 year deal, what are you smoking? Will he be out of the league in 4 years? Lol. The question is how much he's worth. And even then, it's re ed to act like the Spurs have to keep him even if he's signed to whatever deal; look at how that worked out with White, who had an even bigger contract than Jakob can sign (4/64 vs 4/50 or something like that, if I'm not mistaken). Ridiculous argument on your behalf tbh.

Lastly, damn, you really don't get the fact that Jakob is a role player. Yes, any role player gets better with 2 other All-NBA players. What's the weird hung up on that? Is it because of the top-10 center thing? . You can be top-10 at any position and not be an All-Star nor All-NBA talent (by definition, actually, you gotta be, since there's only 2 AS spots per position). Jesus. It's like you don't wanna argue against the actual arguments, and strawmanning them into different points is the only way you go. If the Spurs get an actual PF (I'm not even talking AS level!) Jakob will look much different, same will happen if we let go of McBuckets, and so on with roster moves that have to be made for the team to get better.

I'll give you credit, though, you made me laugh with "Jak Yuckers". It even rhymes, I love it .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before you get back to me, KobesAchilles, regarding Jakob and his defense, why don't you go and look at some recent highlights of Embiid or Jokic? Actual superstar C's that the Spurs would face sooner or later in the POs.

Now watch how the other teams defend them, the amount of gravity they command. Are they guarded entirely 1-on-1? Or do these matchups call for constant, incessant double teams, triple teams even? I can look you up highlights of Embiid getting literally triple teamed from this very season, and Jokic's gotten four-teamed a number of times if you've watched closely. Now, why is that, if defense is only and exclusively responsibility of the opposing player of the same position?! Or could there be more to it than 1-on-1 defense...??

Literally any star player is guarded in this way, because they can beat any random defender 1-on-1. It's their thing. So they command double teams and early help, which leaves their teammates open, which they should be able to hit for open buckets... And the game goes on and on. It's also something the Spurs are terrible at defending, on multiple levels, from not recovering early enough to contest these passes, to not getting the rotations right and leaving guys open consistently, to not having the length/height/physicality to contest these stars. And now, you consider how much worse the Spurs' defense gets whenever Jakob sits out or misses a game...

So yeah, you can hate on him, I don't care (beyond randomly answering in this forum, that is; I don't take it personally and neither should you). There's a lot to criticize about Jak, starting with whatever the prevents him from dunking the ball lol. But you've chosen very wacky/misguided points to single him out on, and it's just not how defense works. Jak is great at it; the team is not. It's a lazy take, tbh, and very dismissive of the very real problems that the Spurs face moving forward if they want to build a defensive iden y like they had in the old days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Before you get back to me, KobesAchilles, regarding Jakob and his defense, why don't you go and look at some recent highlights of Embiid or Jokic? Actual superstar C's that the Spurs would face sooner or later in the POs.

Now watch how the other teams defend them, the amount of gravity they command. Are they guarded entirely 1-on-1? Or do these matchups call for constant, incessant double teams, triple teams even? I can look you up highlights of Embiid getting literally triple teamed from this very season, and Jokic's gotten four-teamed a number of times if you've watched closely. Now, why is that, if defense is only and exclusively responsibility of the opposing player of the same position?! Or could there be more to it than 1-on-1 defense...??

Literally any star player is guarded in this way, because they can beat any random defender 1-on-1. It's their thing. So they command double teams and early help, which leaves their teammates open, which they should be able to hit for open buckets... And the game goes on and on. It's also something the Spurs are terrible at defending, on multiple levels, from not recovering early enough to contest these passes, to not getting the rotations right and leaving guys open consistently, to not having the length/height/physicality to contest these stars. And now, you consider how much worse the Spurs' defense gets whenever Jakob sits out or misses a game...

So yeah, you can hate on him, I don't care (beyond randomly answering in this forum, that is; I don't take it personally and neither should you). There's a lot to criticize about Jak, starting with whatever the prevents him from dunking the ball lol. But you've chosen very wacky/misguided points to single him out on, and it's just not how defense works. Jak is great at it; the team is not. It's a lazy take, tbh, and very dismissive of the very real problems that the Spurs face moving forward if they want to build a defensive iden y like they had in the old days.
    Here’s my thing. I want the Spurs to be in the playoffs in 4 years. That’s the timeframe I have for them to be back. So I simply ask myself how do we get there?

About KJ: yes he is a ty defender. But from an organizational standpoint we are being extremely stupid. Playing him out of position does zero for us in the long run. It tells us nothing about him other than what any idiot (and I’m the idiot) could’ve told PATFO. 6’4 guys are ty PFs (chuck aside). So how does he do in the long run against SFs? Well we have no ing clue. We know he is ty against elite SF like Lebron/KD/Kawhi. But what about everyone else? Well we don’t know. And now we have to waste another ing year to find out.

In regards to Poeltl, I believe this is his peak. And with him we aren’t winning any games. And without him we aren’t winning any games. He’s basically a net zero. But let’s say he adds 5 games to our win/loss record, do I really want that? Nope I don’t. If we aren’t even close to making the playoffs like you said, what is the point in keeping him. We need to bottom out for a few years and then we can build. I think Poeltl makes zero difference in us making the playoffs and makes so much more sense to just trade.

I like Wright (his name has been upgraded) and his mindset. We have an all star in Murray. A dead eye shooter in KJ. And a possibility in Primo. That’s about it. So we need to sell Poeltl now. Bc the second way of making the playoffs is to trade for a disgruntled star. I think that player is Jaylen Brown. I think once the Celtics get bounced in the 1st round this year and lose next year they are going to ship him out. I would like to have the assets for him. So if we do sign Poeltl, it needs to be a deal where he is very tradeable for a FRP.

In the summer of 2023 it’s gonna be KJ, 2 FRPs, and filler for Jaylen Brown. We get 2 years of tanking where hopefully we pick the right players in the draft. Nobody under 6’6. And go from there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Keldon is 6’4”, then Murray is 6’2”

Thread Information