Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Sato was 6-2 with a 6-9 wingspan. He was a defender who couldn't dribble, pass, or shoot at an NBA level.
    it was actually 6'11 and he was 6'5

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it was actually 6'11 and he was 6'5
    6-5 is a fake news. Your wingspan is correct though.

My memory was a close on his height:

6-2 barefoot, 6-3.25 in shoes at the combine

https://www.nba.com/bulls/news/predraft_vitals_04.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6-5 is a fake news. Your wingspan is correct though.

My memory was a close on his height:

6-2 barefoot, 6-3.25 in shoes at the combine

https://www.nba.com/bulls/news/predraft_vitals_04.html
    Yea im sure the numbers are fluffed. Dont really care about sato

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I've said with M. Williams, I'd be fine with them targeting him, but not at 9. Either trade back from 9 or trade up utilizing some combination of 20, 25 and Richardson.

Bigger (more wing than guard), better shooter, better athlete (at least based on the combine).
    Both are the same height at 6’5. True, Jalen’s reach is longer at 7’2 1/4 vs 6’8.5 of Davis. I don’t know Davis’ vertical. It’s possible that Jalen is the better athlete. But Jalen is not a better defensive player than Davis. Davis is one of the better point-of-attack defender in this draft, while Jalen tends to be lackluster in staying in front of his man. And while Davis’ 3pt percentage might have dipped from 38% from his freshman year, to 30% in sop re was because he was taking more bad shots to carry the team. Still, Davis FT is at 80% and should be a good indicator that his shots should get better with better quality shots. Still Davis is a better scorer with more offensive repertoire, his mid-range is money, and gets 25% of his scoring from the line. Plus Davis’ 50/50 ball, leadership, and the dog in him.

Jalen might have the tools to be potentially better on defense if his potentials are reached, but right now, he is not better than Davis. But I’m not a scout, and I would trust Spurs’ better judgement on players upside. But I can’t agree with Jalen being better than Davis right now, not by a long shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. More. 6”4. Guards.

If he’s there at 20 or 25, fine. But at #9?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. More. 6”4. Guards.

If he’s there at 20 or 25, fine. But at #9?
    He's an 6"6 SF

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both are the same height at 6’5. True, Jalen’s reach is longer at 7’2 1/4 vs 6’8.5 of Davis. I don’t know Davis’ vertical. It’s possible that Jalen is the better athlete. But Jalen is not a better defensive player than Davis. Davis is one of the better point-of-attack defender in this draft, while Jalen tends to be lackluster in staying in front of his man. And while Davis’ 3pt percentage might have dipped from 38% from his freshman year, to 30% in sop re was because he was taking more bad shots to carry the team. Still, Davis FT is at 80% and should be a good indicator that his shots should get better with better quality shots. Still Davis is a better scorer with more offensive repertoire, his mid-range is money, and gets 25% of his scoring from the line. Plus Davis’ 50/50 ball, leadership, and the dog in him.

Jalen might have the tools to be potentially better on defense if his potentials are reached, but right now, he is not better than Davis. But I’m not a scout, and I would trust Spurs’ better judgement on players upside. But I can’t agree with Jalen being better than Davis right now, not by a long shot.
    You asked a question, I answered it. I didn't advocate for it.

I said bigger (a combination of height, weight, length), not taller.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Too many decent players still available at 9, plus we need size. He's got great tools and someone I would seriously look to draft, just not at 9.

The spurs really have to take advantage of their earliest pick in decades as well as the rest of their picks. It may be a long while before we get to draft / trade this many picks again. Don't think this franchise has ever had 4 picks in one draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think one of the best write-ups about Jalen is in a piece by Cerebro Sports about 5 archetype wings in this draft. The le was posted in the general draft thread but I don't think many people actually went and read it. It is a pretty long piece but very detailed and informative once you get into it. The Archetype: Dribble/Pass/Shoot Wings - by PD Web (substack.com) Really worth a second read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think one of the best write-ups about Jalen is in a piece by Cerebro Sports about 5 archetype wings in this draft. The le was posted in the general draft thread but I don't think many people actually went and read it. It is a pretty long piece but very detailed and informative once you get into it. The Archetype: Dribble/Pass/Shoot Wings - by PD Web (substack.com) Really worth a second read.
    Asking Spurstalk to read or research anything instead of the strict and simplified way of looking at mock drafts or highlight videos to form their scouting opinion is like asking a first grader to do calculus. You’re asking for too much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like him a lot and won’t be disappointed if we drafted him. I guess I was wishfully hoping we’d get taller in the off season.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess I was wishfully hoping we’d get taller in the off season.
    There's always Primo's growth plates ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's always Primo's growth plates ...
    just wait until he hits 6'5 without shoes

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More wing than guard?

Isn't he 6'4?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guard players with your hands not your head. Jalen Williams’ standing reach is longer than LaRavia, Liddell, Mathurin, Harrison Ingram, Dyson, Kendall Brown, Branham, Agbaji. He has more than enough size to play wing.

and nobody refers to NBA players’ height without their shoes on. In the NBA, people will call him 6’6”.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guard players with your hands not your head. Jalen Williams’ standing reach is longer than LaRavia, Liddell, Mathurin, Harrison Ingram, Dyson, Kendall Brown, Branham, Agbaji. He has more than enough size to play wing.

and nobody refers to NBA players’ height without their shoes on. In the NBA, people will call him 6’6”.
    you guard with your head, feet and hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another tweener with great potential???. Dear God, not at 9. He has some nice athleticism and WS, but doesn't strike me as a first-rate offensive threat which we need badly. And we need a player with some better defensive chops as well.

WE need a starter coming out of this draft at 9. It doesn't look like there is that two-way All-star we'd all like to see at 9 in this draft.

Who would he replace among all our current roster. Our SF or our SG? Those positions probably aren't our greatest needs right now. The way Williams seems to be rising in the draft, I don't think he'll be there at 20, much less 25.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be penis pumped if the Spurs can grab him in the 20s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Top #15 steady and ends with:
    Duren/Tari/Dieng/M.Williams/Davis/Sochan
    ( teams needs without BPA moves)

imo 4 spots left before spurs for others or him:
    Brenham
    Agbaji
    TyTy
    Brown
    PBJ
    Jovic for stash
    him
    4/7 options

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pelton's final stat only ranking has Williams 59th.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from the article: "The upside being that a secondary creator who is a high level shooter, that can make smart decisions, can attack closeouts, has comfort against multiple PNR coverages & can craft finishes with touch - is a very valuable piece."

the article also referred to a low volume of three-point attempts but pointed out that williams would likely improve this stat in hand-off PNRs (or pistol play sets), which the spurs do run quite a few of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just wait until he hits 6'5 without shoes
    Or 8’9.5 standing reach without shoes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another tweener with great potential???. Dear God, not at 9. He has some nice athleticism and WS, but doesn't strike me as a first-rate offensive threat which we need badly. And we need a player with some better defensive chops as well.

WE need a starter coming out of this draft at 9. It doesn't look like there is that two-way All-star we'd all like to see at 9 in this draft.

Who would he replace among all our current roster. Our SF or our SG? Those positions probably aren't our greatest needs right now. The way Williams seems to be rising in the draft, I don't think he'll be there at 20, much less 25.
    J-Williams is anything but tweener . The guy has arms reaching his knees (a vision of smaller Timmy) . He’s great upside potentials. He’s a great help defender with his reach and athleticism (7’2 reach, 39” vertical). But the thing that I’m concern is his ability to stay in front of shifty guards, which Spurs get torched a lot by athletic guards. My dog on this is Davis who is the best point-of-attack defender in this draft. The question is will Jalen pass him eventually? Possibly.

Another is Davis plays 100% both sides of the court every night, will dive for those 50/50 balls. Jalen, he has lackluster effort at times. My dog if Spurs are picking a SG/SF two-way at 9 is Davis, Daniels then Jalen.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I still like Davis but have my doubts that the Spurs will pursue him for whatever reason. But in a sense, he's sort of like a DDR but who plays incredible defense. His footwork is solid, not great like DDR but he does model his game after him. And his old man post game is stellar, too. I'm not saying he's destined to play the modern game with layups and threes which would be ideal, but I think he will find a way to score 1-1 in the mid range and that in itself is useful on this team given our dearth of self creators. I'd like him to be better on offense in certain ways, but for the #9 pick, it seems like a safe pick and a pick with still more upside if he figures the NBA game out. Final thought: if the Spurs think he will be a positive asset, that has value in possible trades down the road to get an actual star if none of our guys gets there.

Thread Information