Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA- Kyrie, McDermott
    Brooklyn- Poeltl, Richardson, and Langford
    Spurs- WB, 2026 & 2028 Unprotected FRP's

That could work...it eats some of LA's space next summer and Brooklyn gets real players instead of picks and I think they'd prefer that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LA- Kyrie, McDermott
    Brooklyn- Poeltl, Richardson, and Langford
    Spurs- WB, 2026 & 2028 Unprotected FRP's

That could work...it eats some of LA's space next summer and Brooklyn gets real players instead of picks and I think they'd prefer that.
    The Nets aren't going to take that while we get 2 unprotected FRPs for an expiring... maybe one unprotected pick + unprotected Lakers swap to Brooklyn, and one unprotected Lakers pick + a protected pick from the Nets (they have Philly's 2023 pick) to us... that would sound better.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We just traded Dejounte (an actual all star with 2 years left at a bargain price) for 2 unprotected FRP (plus an unprotected swap and a pick that may never convey)... and you expect a similar package ("some unprotected FRP's") for a 4 month rental (trade deadline to end of season) of a good to average center? That's not going to happen.

maybe

but to lose purtle and help the lakers for "maybe" 1 frp is just horrible - as some were saying

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nets aren't going to take that while we get 2 unprotected FRPs for an expiring... maybe one unprotected pick + unprotected Lakers swap to Brooklyn, and one unprotected Lakers pick + a protected pick from the Nets (they have Philly's 2023 pick) to us... that would sound better.
    The Nets aren't the one eating Westbrook's salary. No way in I'm trading them Poetl for a lottery protected pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We just traded Dejounte (an actual all star with 2 years left at a bargain price) for 2 unprotected FRP (plus an unprotected swap and a pick that may never convey)... and you expect a similar package ("some unprotected FRP's") for a 4 month rental (trade deadline to end of season) of a good to average center? That's not going to happen.
    It's not a four month rental. Brooklyn would get Bird Rights to be in the driver's seat to re-sign Poetl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Nets aren't the one eating Westbrook's salary. No way in I'm trading them Poetl for a lottery protected pick.
    In that trade you're not eating Westbrook's contract, you're only taking in about 10M of it: Westbrook MINUS McDermott MINUS Poeltl MINUS Richardson
    PLUS you're only taking 1 year worth of Westbrook while ridding yourself or 2 years worth of McDermott
    PLUS you are only guaranteed to keep Poeltl for one season
    PLUS you can still use about 20M worth of cap space to leverage other assets.
    In my original trade proposal I had Poeltl going to a fourth team, which would provide an extra pick... but that's a rough framework that I think could be more realistic, not necessarily the definitive deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not a four month rental. Brooklyn would get Bird Rights to be in the driver's seat to re-sign Poetl.
    Which could mean nothing if a team with enough cap space is interested in him... say Indiana, if they trade Myles Turner. Bird rights are not the same as a guaranteed long term contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Mitc contract is big, and requires a lot of Knicks contracts going out the door. Could actually see the Jazz working Westbrook into that deal and get back even more picks (with Lakers turning Westbrook’s crappy one year deal into a guys like Fournier, Rose, Bogdanovic, etc.)

On Poeltl, there’s value holding him until the deadline when teams may make all in moves. Even if not traded, he has S&T value as he will command more than the MLE and cap space won’t be everywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't share the Spurs' level of desire for completely unprotected picks. It's one thing to see Charlotte's 2023 pick as unideal. It's another to think getting a top-four protected first or a swapped pick like what Utah got for O'Neal as anathema. I get grabbing a couple in the future. I also get trying to stack some in 2023. But they shouldn't be trying to play the lotto in 2028 or whatever when they could get multiple bites in earlier years instead.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In that trade you're not eating Westbrook's contract, you're only taking in about 10M of it: Westbrook MINUS McDermott MINUS Poeltl MINUS Richardson
    PLUS you're only taking 1 year worth of Westbrook while ridding yourself or 2 years worth of McDermott
    PLUS you are only guaranteed to keep Poeltl for one season
    PLUS you can still use about 20M worth of cap space to leverage other assets.
    In my original trade proposal I had Poeltl going to a fourth team, which would provide an extra pick... but that's a rough framework that I think could be more realistic, not necessarily the definitive deal.
    Yes you are eating it because you're trading useful players for it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be thrilled if SA moved McDermott & used their space for 1 pick. If its Jakob, SA should be getting 2 picks. But getting off of Dougs deal a year early is a huge win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would just go ahead and trade Jakob for his own pick to lock in that value IMO. Then have Richardson, Doug to fill salaries for taking on a deal like WB.

But if they have to use Jakob in a WB deal, they should absolutely get an unprotected pick, then use Richardson to hopefully net the other pick in a sep deal. But I would love to get off of Dougs deal and pay all the functional money this year and have all expirings

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still don't get why Kyrie cant just get go to the Heat. Spurs would be perfectly positioned to take the Kyle Lowery deal in exchange for an unprotected first.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which could mean nothing if a team with enough cap space is interested in him... say Indiana, if they trade Myles Turner. Bird rights are not the same as a guaranteed long term contract.
    Calling Poetl a four month rental is ridiculous, it's not like he's Leonard saying he's going to LA next summer no matter who he gets traded to. Brooklyn's likely not going to trade Durant but they would love to get out of Irving and getting a top defensive center is an incredible return for the guy nobody but the Lakers wants. They'd have a huge inside track to re-signing Poetl. LOL at the idea of Poetl wanting to leave a contender for Indiana.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes you are eating it because you're trading useful players for it.
    Whose value you're considering aside. You're not looking at it correctly. In that trade:
    You lose 10M of cap space in 2022, but you gain 14 M of capspace in 2024
    You lose Poeltl and Richardson, but you gain 2 picks (1 unprotected) for players that you might lose anyway and might subtract from your lottery odds next year.
    Again... you're not looking at the whole picture. You might not like that deal, but it's definitely not unfair for the Spurs, and likely they'll end up getting WORSE than that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calling Poetl a four month rental is ridiculous, it's not like he's Leonard saying he's going to LA next summer no matter who he gets traded to. Brooklyn's likely not going to trade Durant but they would love to get out of Irving and getting a top defensive center is an incredible return for the guy nobody but the Lakers wants. They'd have a huge inside track to re-signing Poetl. LOL at the idea of Poetl wanting to leave a contender for Indiana.
    It's the only thing they're guaranteed to get. Could they re-sign him? Sure. But the fact is, the contractual situation doesn't guarantee that, and pretending that isn't a factor is what's downright ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course they are. The point is they know how to be professionals in the league. How to take care of their bodies, eat, sleep, prepare, be responsible and handle themselves. Even Poeltl, but definition the other two guys who have been around for a while. A team of young players need these types.
    Lol i’m not paying McDerMutt 14m a year to mentor guys on how to be an NBA journey man who has barely won a playoff series.

McD is probably more focused on one last contract versus helping the youth. Jak probably still needs some
    mentoring himself.

End of the bench vets who may have actually had success in the league can be had for 2-5mm a year.

bring some greats on the coaching staff. A million ways these kids can be mentored.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fully agree. The Spurs are selling 3 assets - $30+ mil of cap space, Poeltl and Richardson. Now, at the end of the day, regardless of what deals they make, if they could get an unprotected 1st and another say lottery protected pick for the three they'd have done damn well.

Instead, reading ST, one would expect them to get two or three unprotected picks and more, which expectations are bound to be shattered by reality. Again, I think the Gobert trade has shook everyone's perception of value. Teams don't get unprotected firsts for renting cap space. It just doesn't happen. If the Spurs could get one, it'd be a huge win.
    Agree - Spurs walking away with 2 picks from Jakob + Space should be the min, but if one of them is unprotected its a huge win. I dont care if they have to use Richardson/Doug to accomplish that either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be thrilled if SA moved McDermott & used their space for 1 pick. If its Jakob, SA should be getting 2 picks. But getting off of Dougs deal a year early is a huge win.
    McDermott's deal doesn't matter much, it's only $13.75 million. Not the kind of money I'd give up assets to get out of.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Whose value you're considering aside. You're not looking at it correctly. In that trade:
    You lose 10M of cap space in 2022, but you gain 14 M of capspace in 2024
    You lose Poeltl and Richardson, but you gain 2 picks (1 unprotected) for players that you might lose anyway and might subtract from your lottery odds next year.
    Again... you're not looking at the whole picture. You might not like that deal, but it's definitely not unfair for the Spurs, and likely they'll end up getting WORSE than that.
    You're trying to take a worst case scenario for the Spurs. Like Poetl's going to tell Sean Marks to off and he's leaving next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're trying to take a worst case scenario for the Spurs. Like Poetl's going to tell Sean Marks to off and he's leaving next summer.
    Poeltl will go to whoever gives him the most money. He hasn't had his big payday yet. There will be a lot of teams with cap space and a pretty mediocre free agent class. Together with the cap increase there'll be some eye-popping deals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol i’m not paying McDerMutt 14m a year to mentor guys on how to be an NBA journey man who has barely won a playoff series.

McD is probably more focused on one last contract versus helping the youth. Jak probably still needs some
    mentoring himself.

End of the bench vets who may have actually had success in the league can be had for 2-5mm a year.

bring some greats on the coaching staff. A million ways these kids can be mentored.
    Bruh, we're talking about 'seasoned' players. I said that McDermott is one, easily. We're not talking about salaries or specific players. Jus tbecause you don't know what the you're talking about doesn't mean you get to change the subject.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should still try to sign a couple of old vets who can be coaches on the floor.
    No. No signings at all.

Players go out, picks come back.

Players come in, accompanied by picks as cap rental.

Nothing else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    McDermott's deal doesn't matter much, it's only $13.75 million. Not the kind of money I'd give up assets to get out of.
    You can't make the case that taking in 10M worth of salaries is a huge deal, while dismissing the value of ridding yourself of 14M. If anything else, it's one more thing you can leverage next year.
    But the main thing is, if THERE IS NOT ENOUGH DRAFT COMPENSATION (which neither the Lakers nor the Nets appear to have in excess of what's being discussed here), another viable alternative is reducing the cap burden on such a deal, and sell it to someone else in a different deal. So you'd still have 20M of salary cap to sell in 2022, AND everything you already had PLUS an additional 14M of salary cap in 2023 that you just opened up. That's also something to consider.
    In short, I'm all for getting as much as we can... but if you can't get the return you expect for the whole package (whole salary cap + Poeltl + Richardson), then taking good value for a part and selling the rest in one or more subsequent trades is not a bad way to go IMO.
    I'm not trying to take a worst case scenario as you're trying to make a best case. The truth is: both are possible, none are guaranteed. Which is why the value lies somewhere in between.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not trying to take a worst case scenario as you're trying to make a best case. The truth is: both are possible, none are guaranteed. Which is why the value lies somewhere in between.
    Yes you are when you call Poetl a four month rental like the Spurs were trading some disgruntled piece of .

Thread Information