Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll believe it when I see it. Been awhile since US an rust policy focused on unfair compe ion rather than abuse of pricing power.

Democrats and Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee's an rust panel, which issued a sweeping report this year proposing steps to rein in big tech firms, have zeroed in on at least four ideas, according to a Hill source:

1. More funding for key an rust enforcers, chiefly the Federal Trade Commission and the Justice Department, so they can take on wealthy, heavily lawyered tech companies.
    2. Changing the burden of proof for proposed mergers so that companies whose market share passes a certain threshold are assumed to be monopolies and must prove their deal does not harm compe ion.
    3. Data portability requirements for platforms, so that consumers can move their information from one service to another.
    4. Prohibitions on platform bias and "self-preferencing," which is when information services display their own listings above those of compe ors.

Background: The committee's 450-page October report outlined dozens of legislative fixes and enforcement ideas to shore up current an rust law.
    The committee majority report's recommendation of "structural separations" prohibiting platform owners from also participating in the markets they run is going to be a harder sell for Republicans.

• There's little agreement on that issue, Rep. David Cicilline, the Democrat who heads up the an rust subpanel, told Axios.
    • And any bill on "self-preferencing" would be a lengthy project, he said, requiring technical drafting and additional bipartisan support.
    https://www.axios.com/house-judiciar...0b2d4ab23.html

https://judiciary.house.gov/uploaded...paign=4493-519

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting article about Argentina's public e-commerce platform, Correo Compras.

Do you have a take on this, ElNono?

Moreover, in the midst of the Covid-19 pandemic some advocated that the US government should nationalize Amazon and use its logistics network to assure the delivery of essential goods to all US citizens.

In Argentina, Correo Compras promises to have the lowest prices by being cheaper for sellers, who will only have to pay a platform maintenance fee. This public e-commerce platform is part of the Argentinean government’s broader attempt to regulate the digital economy and offer public alternatives to existing private businesses.

Argentina’s national bank, Banco Nación, has launched BNA+ – an e-wallet to compete with MercadoLibre’s e-payment business, MercadoPagos. MercadoPagos was also favored by the lockdown – its total payment transactions jumped 122.9% year on year, totaling 404.8 million transactions in the second quarter of 2020.

Correo Compras also aims to stimulate consumer demand. The platform offers government subsidized installment purchase plans that allow payment over three, six, and twelve months.

As with every platform, the success of public platforms depends on their capacity to trigger direct and indirect network effects – meaning they gain additional value as more people use them. Can Correo Compras succeed, and thereby become a role model for other countries?

Unlike private platforms, in public platforms political motives could be decisive network effect drivers. Buying at Correo Compras could be seen as a way to reduce the power of tech companies, support the state’s active participation in the economy, express support for the current administration or support the company’s workers. In any case, it could become the first political grassroots action to engender platform network effects.
    https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020...argentina.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting article about Argentina's public e-commerce platform, Correo Compras.

Do you have a take on this, ElNono?

https://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2020...argentina.html
    I'm not familiar with them. There was a change of government last year though, and MercadoLibre, which is mentioned in the article and is the 'Amazon of south america' more or less, with it's monopolistic implications, was able to de-regulate a lot of employees under the previous (center right) government, pissing off a big union which happens to have a lot of influence in this new government. They also launched that e-currency and fintech service, which brings a lot of challenges for a specific country to tax and monitor, since the company operates in a number of South American countries.

So I'm a bit skeptical this is being done in order to aid, and I think the political angle is much more likely. MercadoLibre CEO, which is from Argentina, moved to Uruguay after the elections, as he was an outspoken supporter of the previous government and seen as an 'enemy' of the current lefty administration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Google is illegally firing and surveilling its employees, says NLRB.

Specifically, the NLRB case do ents accuse Google of illegally spying on employees, firing several employees in retaliation for attempting to unionize, and illegally blocking employees from sharing work grievances and information with each other using general tools like calendars, email, meeting rooms, and an internal communication tool at Google called MemeGen.

The NLRB said it expects an answer from Google by Dec. 16 and the agency said it will hold a hearing on April 12, 2021, in San Francisco.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/02/goog...b-alleges.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YouTube to remove videos claiming mass fraud changed election results
    It's a policy shift that could put the tech giant at odds with President Donald Trump.

YouTube said Wednesday it will begin removing any videos that falsely claim widespread voting fraud changed the outcome of the 2020 presidential race now that the deadline for states to resolve disputes over the results has passed.

It's a policy shift that could put the tech giant at odds with President Donald Trump and his GOP allies in the remaining days of his administration, but one that will be welcomed by Democrats who have called for more aggressive action.

What’s changing: The Google-owned video-sharing platform announced in a blog post that it will begin outright removing content published Wednesday or later that “misleads people by alleging that widespread fraud or errors changed the outcome of the 2020 U.S. Presidential election.”

The company in recent months has taken steps to label election-related posts and direct users to “authoritative news sources” regarding the outcome, but stopped short of outright banning unsubstantiated claims of a rigged election.

YouTube said it would begin enforcing the policy now that the national safe harbor deadline for states to conclude any disputes over the election results passed on Tuesday. “We will begin enforcing this policy today, and will ramp up in the weeks to come,” the company said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...results-443925

---

I would normally say it's unnecessary, most people do know when they're being straight out lied to, but apparently there's a minority of re s that still need training wheels, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would normally say it's unnecessary, most people do know when they're being straight out lied to, but apparently there's a minority of re s that still need training wheels, tbh.
    "some say" Trash's rabid cult mob KNOW Trash is lying,

but think it's so big ballsy of their " everything" fake Macho Man.

10Ms of them, failed by democracy, by Capitalism, by govt, voted Trash to Stuff Up, Blow It All Up, they had nothing, so had nothing to lose.

"FreeDUMB's just another word for .... "

4 years of Trash, and
    10Ms of them, failed by democracy, by Capitalism, by govt, are WORSE off, even diseased, or dead, and 74M vote for more Trash.

America is ed and un able.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    YouTube to remove videos claiming mass fraud changed election results
    It's a policy shift that could put the tech giant at odds with President Donald Trump.

YouTube said Wednesday it will begin removing any videos that falsely claim widespread voting fraud changed the outcome of the 2020 presidential race now that the deadline for states to resolve disputes over the results has passed.

It's a policy shift that could put the tech giant at odds with President Donald Trump and his GOP allies in the remaining days of his administration, but one that will be welcomed by Democrats who have called for more aggressive action.

What’s changing: The Google-owned video-sharing platform announced in a blog post that it will begin outright removing content published Wednesday or later that “misleads people by alleging that widespread fraud or errors changed the outcome of the 2020 U.S. Presidential election.”

The company in recent months has taken steps to label election-related posts and direct users to “authoritative news sources” regarding the outcome, but stopped short of outright banning unsubstantiated claims of a rigged election.

YouTube said it would begin enforcing the policy now that the national safe harbor deadline for states to conclude any disputes over the election results passed on Tuesday. “We will begin enforcing this policy today, and will ramp up in the weeks to come,” the company said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...results-443925

---

When was the last time you saw Milo, or Gavin, or Stefan Molyneux or Richard Spencer online or in the news?

Deplatforming works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An rust

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Must. Get. Copium. Pain. Too. Much. Pain. For. One. Derp.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's the plan now, derp?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overdependence on monopoly providers has big tail risks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thread delivers juicy details.

This Google an rust suit could be a big deal.

?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FB/Google: s caught in the crack

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A peak under the hood of digital brand safety...

Every day, a handful of tech companies decide how billions of advertising dollars will be spent on the web. We don’t see these decisions take place, but brand safety algorithms scan every page and every piece of content we look at to decide whether it’s “safe” before serving an ad.

These millions of little verdicts add up. They determine who on the web gets monetized — and who gets blocked.

It’s a big responsibility, and it appears, one they do not take seriously. While brand safety tech companies have been extremely secretive about how it all works, it turns out they have also been unwittingly sharing their own proprietary data all this time.

Dr. Krzysztof Franaszek of Adalytics contacted us with a startling discovery last month: he was able to see how brand safety companies classify every individual news article he reads by right-clicking on “inspect” in Google Chrome. He could see exactly which brands were blocking which articles, because the keyword blocklists of global brands were also sitting out there. In other words, there’s a leak. A pretty big one.

Three brand safety companies — Oracle (Grapeshot & Moat), Integral Ad Science and Comscore — forgot to encrypt their data, giving us our first real look into how they categorize, block and move your advertising dollars across the web.
    Systematically defunding national news outlets
    Giving extremists an unlimited hall pass
    The implications of this research are breathtakingly anti-democratic. Ads are the currency of the digital economy, and brand safety technology companies have been acting with impunity because no one has the information to challenge them.

We don’t know how many media outlets have been run out of existence because of brand safety technology, nor how many media outlets will never be able to monetize critical news coverage because the issues important to their communities are marked as “unsafe.”
    https://branded.substack.com/p/insid...f-brand-safety

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The internet monopolies are a good place to start. there are plenty of other industries just as bad or worse however that need the same level of scrutiny oversight and regulation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The internet monopolies are a good place to start. there are plenty of other industries just as bad or worse however that need the same level of scrutiny oversight and regulation.
    Bring it!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A third multstate an rust lawsuit against Google:

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Matt Stoller overview

The Texas case reveals new details about how online advertising markets function, drawing from Dina Srinivasan’s critical research on how advertising sales has been transformed into a complex financial market run by Google. While the complaint alleges that Google has engaged in monopolization, it also alleges a different violation, that Facebook and Google are in a cartel to violate user privacy and fix prices in advertising markets. The complaint reveals that after Facebook bought WhatsApp, which pledged to its users (and the FTC) strict privacy controls, “Facebook signed an exclusive agreement with Google, granting Google access to millions of Americans’ end-to-end encrypted WhatsApp messages, photos, videos, and audio files.” If true, that’s a remarkable set of illegal acts, by both Google and Facebook, as well as a betrayal of their users.
    The Sherman Act has two parts. Section Two prohibits monopolization, but monopolization cases are very hard to bring and quite expensive, and require elaborate models. Section One prohibits cartels and price-fixing as conspiracies. Cartel cases are much easier - just show an agreement to collaborate on fixing prices, and you’re done. In fact cartels are so much easier to prosecute that price-fixing is the only area that enforcers actually bring criminal charges. And worrisome for Google, Texas is alleging cartel behavior.
    Since October, enforcers have brought four strong suits against Google and Facebook, two of the largest corporations in the world. And the demanded remedies for these civil violations are tough. Enforcers are asking for injunctive relief to stop the bad behavior, break-ups of these companies to end the structural conflicts, as well as monetary damages and civil fines.These few months represent perhaps the toughest spate of an rust action since the post-World War II era, when Harry Truman restarted an rust cases after their suspension during the war.
    https://mattstoller.substack.com/p/c...ech-executives

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Monopolization isn’t just illegal, it is in fact a crime, an appropriation of the rights and property of others by a dominant actor. The lengthy trial is essentially akin to saying that bank robbers getting to keep robbing banks until they are convicted, and can probably keep the additional loot. There are ways of a judge issuing preliminary orders to stop bad behavior in the interim, so it’s not inevitable that these corporations get to continue what they are doing. However, judges don’t tend to like issuing such orders, though hopefully enforcers will ask for them and Mehta will make an exception.

But the monetary cost is not the most dangerous part of the delay. What’s more frightening is the political corruption that Google and Facebook are enabling. Thousands of newspapers have fallen apart over the past ten years, and over the next three, thousands more will collapse. Aside from killing pro-social ins utions like newspapers, these platforms have been inducing significant harms society-wide, from enabling ethnic cleansing abroad and divisiveness in Western democracies, to undermining our economy writ large. The end state is frightening. Indeed, here’s what the Texas complaint alleges is Google’s long-term goal.

Google’s current dominance is merely a preview of its future plans. Google has an appe e for total dominance, and its latest ambition is to transform the free and open architecture of the internet. Google’s plan is to create a walled garden around the internet in which it controls websites and mobile applications. Google calls its emerging venture the [redacted], a world in which publisher content is operated by Google…

Google’s do ented plan is to capture online publishers on the open internet and transform them into content creators generating revenue for Google on a completely closed platform—like YouTube content creators.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stoller's proposal: criminal charges for criminal enterprises

What Facebook and Google are doing is crime, and it needs to be treated as such. Right now, Mark Zuckerberg and Sundar Pichai believe that they have to fight a civil case, which means spending money on lawyers and being deposed by government officials. But they will keep their wealth, and of course, their freedom, because they are personally not at risk, so scheming to dominate more markets elsewhere is a perfectly reasonable activity to pursue even while their companies are on trial. Violating the law by taking someone else’s livelihood risks, at worst, a parking ticket.

But if these men were facing the prospect of personal criminal liability, then the stakes would suddenly shift. During the trial, they would become far more cautious and unwilling to engage in potentially predatory actions, for fear of losing their wealth and freedom, much as they have appropriated that of others. And their lawyers would start giving them different advice on what is legal and what is not when they come to key business decisions.

Moreover, using criminal laws creates a different dynamic and gives enforcers investigative tools that don’t exist for civil suits. The DOJ An rust Division has a policy called the “Corporate Leniency Policy,” which lets cartel participants get leniency if they tell the division about the conspiracy, thus creating an incentive for wrongdoers to tell the DOJ about crimes in action. If enforcers began to bring real criminal indictments against big tech executives for monopolization, they would be able to flip executives in ways they cannot now do.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The irony that Ken Paxton has his name on a law suit against Google that needs to be heard.
    Paxton needs to be in jail yesterday

Thread Information