Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading Murray was a mistake and we'll pay for it. The team, as I continue to say, needs structure and clearly they're going to be ed without someone who can bring it over the timeline and initiate the offense. He could easily be traded next year or S&T after. But whatever, what's done is done.

Trading Poeltl after trading Murray would increase the disaster. We have ball handlers who can sort of cover. We have no one who can make up for the loss of Poeltl, esp. since we wouldn't get anything commensurate to what he's worth.
    Sorry but this is a horrible take. I agree I wouldn't have traded Murray, but now that it's done, you have to go all in and trade Poeltl too. You can't half ass it and risk to be mid. If you traded away your 25 years old franchise player, you better trade the rest of the veterans and go full rebuilding mode.

It is just for one year, you get your top 3 talent and start building from there. Specially this year that seems to have a couple of generational talents not seen since Lebron.

Being mild and not choosing a clear path will only lead to more mediocrity. The worst thing we can do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry but this is a horrible take. I agree I wouldn't have traded Murray, but now that it's done, you have to go all in and trade Poeltl too. You can't half ass it and risk to be mid. If you traded away your 25 years old franchise player, you better trade the rest of the veterans and go full rebuilding mode.

It is just for one year, you get your top 3 talent and start building from there. Specially this year that seems to have a couple of generational talents not seen since Lebron.

Being mild and not choosing a clear path will only lead to more mediocrity. The worst thing we can do.
    100%. This is why it is concerning that the Spurs don't seem committed to trading Jak. It keeps us stuck in the mediocre zone. Hopefully it's just the FO trying to get leverage for a better deal, but it seems entirely feasible they still see Jak as their long-term starting C.

My biggest fear was that the Spurs didn't see trading DJM as a tear-it-down, but merely as a good deal they couldn't refuse. However, mitigating those fears is the fact that we've done literally nothing else this offseason to improve the team, despite the massive amounts of cap space. This seems to suggest we are going full tear-down mode, but the reports on keeping Jak are concerning. It makes zero sense to keep him just for this season - we've either got to trade him or the plan will be to extend him next off-season (which doesn't make a lot of sense - except for maybe in the context of getting the 2-5 pick, which will be a G or W, not a big, in which case you feel you are getting generational talent but still need a competent C on the team and we wouldn't want to start over there)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100%. This is why it is concerning that the Spurs don't seem committed to trading Jak. It keeps us stuck in the mediocre zone. Hopefully it's just the FO trying to get leverage for a better deal, but it seems entirely feasible they still see Jak as their long-term starting C.

My biggest fear was that the Spurs didn't see trading DJM as a tear-it-down, but merely as a good deal they couldn't refuse. However, mitigating those fears is the fact that we've done literally nothing else this offseason to improve the team, despite the massive amounts of cap space. This seems to suggest we are going full tear-down mode, but the reports on keeping Jak are concerning. It makes zero sense to keep him just for this season - we've either got to trade him or the plan will be to extend him next off-season (which doesn't make a lot of sense - except for maybe in the context of getting the 2-5 pick, which will be a G or W, not a big, in which case you feel you are getting generational talent but still need a competent C on the team and we wouldn't want to start over there)
    It’s July 18th. We traded for McD n August 7th last year. If you want your price, it’s going to take a while.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Lol. Love the kid more and more everyday.
    I like him and his answer but of course he backtracked which seems semi genuine and some backpedaling but love the kid he was a great pick tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s July 18th. We traded for McD n August 7th last year. If you want your price, it’s going to take a while.
    The timing is less relevant than the motive. And since this is a discussion board, the motives are the fun things we get to the discuss. The Spurs probably should move Jak, the question is whether the FO agrees. With that said, I'm not one of those who believes any of us on this message board are superior basketball people than those who work in actual NBA FOs... but that's why we have discussion boards.

Now, if the timing is in reference to trading for assets to improve the team in the short run... well, I think we can all agree we prefer not to do that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Ugh. I don't think I'll watch much basketball this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The timing is less relevant than the motive. And since this is a discussion board, the motives are the fun things we get to the discuss. The Spurs probably should move Jak, the question is whether the FO agrees. With that said, I'm not one of those who believes any of us on this message board are superior basketball people than those who work in actual NBA FOs... but that's why we have discussion boards.

Now, if the timing is in reference to trading for assets to improve the team in the short run... well, I think we can all agree we prefer not to do that.
    The timing was a reference to the fact that everything doesn’t happen in July.

I know that we don’t know a lot, but I’m convinced that LJ has good contacts, and he seems pretty sure that not only will Jak be moved, but he’ll be moved before the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It’s actually going to be a fun team to watch. Closer to the Beautiful Game than we’ve been for a while, with no ball dominator.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we never traded for McDermott he was signed as a free agent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get the Spurs trying to get the Lakers pick, but they should actually try to get another pick for the 2023 draft. Since this is the best draft class in years just having your own pick in this draft doesn‘t make much sense for a rebuilding team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s actually going to be a fun team to watch. Closer to the Beautiful Game than we’ve been for a while, with no ball dominator.
    I like it. Still the Beautiful Game takes a lot of time of dedicated practice. NBA vets historically took at least a year to get acclimated to Spurs culture, and learn the intricate details of the plays, being in the right place, crisp passing, etc. And Spurs had proven Big 3 plus vets like Diaw, Splitter, Mills, Belli instead of kids of 19-22 yrs olds. So yeah, it will be a lot of growing pains the next couple of years the least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we never traded for McDermott he was signed as a free agent
    It was a sign and trade. We could have signed him, but didn’t. There were SRPs involved. We each swapped heavily protected 2023 SRP that will likely never convey, and there is a very tangled 2027 SRP that we get.

Edit, the 2027 SRP,wasn’t part of the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure the Spurs are lobbying for all they can get back in this scenario. As others have said, the Lakers don't have many tradeable assets, particularly picks, so I'm sure coming to an equitable agreement isn't going to be easy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ummmm we agreed to terms with McD on August 2nd THE FIRST DAY OF 2021 FREE AGENCY. When it came to putting pen to pad a week later it was worked as a sign and trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ummmm we agreed to terms with McD on August 2nd THE FIRST DAY OF 2021 FREE AGENCY. When it came to putting pen to pad a week later it was worked as a sign and trade.
    August 2nd is about a month after FA opened. The league year ends 30 June, and there’s a couple of days for the moratorium. I think it was 6/July this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    August 2nd is about a month after FA opened. The league year ends 30 June, and there’s a couple of days for the moratorium. I think it was 6/July this year.
    No Abe. Free agency started late in 2021 because there was this thing called covid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is how I feel when I see the news

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    timvp on Undisputed

Officially the most reliable Spurs insider tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...e-agency-start

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Holy crap that's me while consulting a required roundtable 7 times out of 10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy crap that's me while consulting a required roundtable 7 times out of 10.
    From the conference room of a Days Inn?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the conference room of a Days Inn?
    What's your deal?
    You're being weird.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I guess. Not trading Poeltl wouldn't be wise, but I guess we can stifle the development of the players we have for some future bauble that will redeem everything like Jesus Christ. Y'all got to realize this team isn't out to lose games. We may trade Poeltl near the deadline if the price is right. Getting rid of him for no excellent reason is dumb.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y'all got to realize this team isn't out to lose games.
    LOL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This team isn't tanking.

Thread Information