Page 99 of 134 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 2,451 to 2,475 of 3333
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I had to google who that was.

Their books are clean come 2023. They can easily re-sign LBJ (especially if he takes a paycut) and sign another max player.
    I am a huge Mel Brooks fan (my mom drove me there) which led me to being a Gene Wilder fan which led me to his wife.
    Otherwise I've never consciously watched SNL.
    Not because I dislike it, I just never watched it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As I eat my popcorn, I love the fact that nobody wants to take on Russ and his terrible contract....especially for decent players/assets

Burn, Lakers, burn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that offer is a joke. So IND has to give up not one but two decent players for the privilege of dealing with junk on a junk contract with only 1 FRP to sweeten the deal?

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah that offer is a joke. So IND has to give up not one but two decent players for the privilege of dealing with junk on a junk contract with only 1 FRP to sweeten the deal?
    Agreed.

If the Lakers want to turn Westbrook into two actual decent-to-good players, they will have to give up unprotected picks in 2027 and 2029, and probably at least one unprotected swap (2026 or 2028). The deals for Dejounte and Gobert set the market. You gotta overpay.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers want to get rid of Westbrook greatly, but they still did not realise that Westbrook by himself is already a liability, they need to offer asset to trade him alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And they could hold onto cap space believing there's no rush, bypassing decent opportunities, only to have nothing good during draft night. Sometimes the first opportunity is best, and not putting all your chips into the basket of hoping the best options are available at the end really helps.

Again, unless you can establish that the Spurs need to use cap all of their cap space in a later move, you aren't actually arguing against using some of it on Sexton or any other smaller/mid-sized transaction.
    Another fantastic point by Chinook, per usual. While there is no technical "rush" to use the cap space, there is an effective one - in that opportunities to use the cap space by nature decline as time passes (because every previous opportunity that you had may no longer exist). There is a certain element of risk in holding out for a better deal, in that a better deal is not assured to ever materialize. The worst ways to use your cap space, in terms of team building, is by paying out roster bonuses because you failed to hit your salary floor and having unused cap at the end of the year. With that said, having $12mm in unused cap at the end of the season may be what the Spurs ownership needs to have a financially successful season and maybe they aren't really that concerned with the incremental team building assets that could have been acquired for that amount of money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As I eat my popcorn, I love the fact that nobody wants to take on Russ and his terrible contract....especially for decent players/assets

Burn, Lakers, burn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ it’s funny that the Lakers throw out THT as a young asset even though with his contract he is probably still a negative asset

LBJ finallly has to go back to trying to make a team actually work. Imagine that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another fantastic point by Chinook, per usual. While there is no technical "rush" to use the cap space, there is an effective one - in that opportunities to use the cap space by nature decline as time passes (because every previous opportunity that you had may no longer exist). There is a certain element of risk in holding out for a better deal, in that a better deal is not assured to ever materialize. The worst ways to use your cap space, in terms of team building, is by paying out roster bonuses because you failed to hit your salary floor and having unused cap at the end of the year. With that said, having $12mm in unused cap at the end of the season may be what the Spurs ownership needs to have a financially successful season and maybe they aren't really that concerned with the incremental team building assets that could have been acquired for that amount of money.
    The Lakers are on more of a deadline than we are. I believe two things: they don’t want Russ this season, and they won’t want this to drag into training camp. I don’t believe that Phoenix is under any time crunch. Their deadline to bypass the tax is the February trade deadline. That’s their deadline to slide under the tax. We can take LA to their deadline, and if they still pass, still have time to pivot to PHO.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overpaying restricted free agents is not good asset management. What's worse is overpaying a restricted free agent you don't want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Lakers want to get rid of Westbrook greatly, but they still did not realise that Westbrook by himself is already a liability, they need to offer asset to trade him alone.
    I think they do realize it, but they're kind of constrained from saying the quiet part out loud in case they can't get rid of him. That would be awkward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's crazy too because if the Lakers had just shown up in shape last year I wonder if they look better? AD was so stiff every game, played only half the season. LBJ mailed it in. I guess age in LBJs case has factored in but I think AD literally just didn't train or workout at all. No doubt WB looked like , his team wasn't there around him at all. I mean where is the line between how actually ty these Lakers are and how out of shape they were. Prob just actually ty regardless but it makes you wonder.

AD played 40 games and LBJ played 56 games. Wow. They took almost half the season off lol. What am I missing?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^ it’s funny that the Lakers throw out THT as a young asset even though with his contract he is probably still a negative asset

LBJ finallly has to go back to trying to make a team actually work. Imagine that.
    I know right? They still think its 2020

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's crazy too because if the Lakers had just shown up in shape last year I wonder if they look better? AD was so stiff every game, played only half the season. LBJ mailed it in. I guess age in LBJs case has factored in but I think AD literally just didn't train or workout at all. No doubt WB looked like , his team wasn't there around him at all. I mean where is the line between how actually ty these Lakers are and how out of shape they were. Prob just actually ty regardless but it makes you wonder.

AD played 40 games and LBJ played 56 games. Wow. They took almost half the season off lol. What am I missing?
    These guys have gotten used to / lucky in turning it on when it counts. LBJ should be allowed to coast to be pkayoff ready but AD just hasn’t been their mentally or physically. If he is mentally and physically ready he is a top 5-10 talent no doubt and should be in MVP conversation while carrying the Lakers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These guys have gotten used to / lucky in turning it on when it counts. LBJ should be allowed to coast to be pkayoff ready but AD just hasn’t been their mentally or physically. If he is mentally and physically ready he is a top 5-10 talent no doubt and should be in MVP conversation while carrying the Lakers.
    Probably why N.O. never went anywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overpaying restricted free agents is not good asset management. What's worse is overpaying a restricted free agent you don't want.
    I'm certainly not suggesting we do that. However, waiting for the perfect deal to come along is a bit a game of chicken. That deal may never materialize, and you may be left holding the bag. It is easy to conjure up in ones mind which hypothetical deals might arise in the future, but there is a whole degree of variability that cannot be known between now and that future date (including what other teams might do to undercut the hypothetical future deal). This is largely why teams end up making deals that fans think aren't the best a team could have gotten. GM's need to weigh the EV of various deals, and often times a 100% chance of a deal today is better EV than the X% chance of some better deal materializing in the future.

Do the Spurs need to rush to make a deal today? No. But it needs to be understood that as time progresses, the odds that you fail to constructively use any of your cap space towards positive team building increases. The Spurs can and should be picky... but they can't afford to be TOO picky (unless, of course, saving $12MM is important to the team's ownership. Seems like small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but who knows).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably why N.O. never went anywhere.
    Still time to switch up but I feel like when it is all said and done he is going to be that failed comp to Tim Duncan similarly what Dwight Howard is to Shaq

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm certainly not suggesting we do that. However, waiting for the perfect deal to come along is a bit a game of chicken. That deal may never materialize, and you may be left holding the bag. It is easy to conjure up in ones mind which hypothetical deals might arise in the future, but there is a whole degree of variability that cannot be known between now and that future date (including what other teams might do to undercut the hypothetical future deal). This is largely why teams end up making deals that fans think aren't the best a team could have gotten. GM's need to weigh the EV of various deals, and often times a 100% chance of a deal today is better EV than the X% chance of some better deal materializing in the future.

Do the Spurs need to rush to make a deal today? No. But it needs to be understood that as time progresses, the odds that you fail to constructively use any of your cap space towards positive team building increases. The Spurs can and should be picky... but they can't afford to be TOO picky (unless, of course, saving $12MM is important to the team's ownership. Seems like small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but who knows).
    You don't want to close any doors before you have to, and we can wait out LA, and not lose other opportunities. LA likely doesn't want to go into training camp with this hanging over their heads. You just can't rush it when an unprotected FRP is up for grabs. Phoenix OTOH is in no hurry. Their goal is $15M off the cap figure before the Feb trade deadline so they stay out of the tax. There will also be other teams lining up around that time who look to not be making the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is woke? Don’t be that guy who has all the answers but puts forth no action! I don’t know you but would be real interested in hearing how you are helping your country and your fellow American people out ( yeah that includes the ones that don’t look like you ).
    woke is something thats become a vague and meaningless term that conservatives use to describe literally anything they dont like. taxes? woke. acknowledging historical racism? woke. gay and trans people merely existing? woke. donald trump calls people woke for acknowledging the results of the 2020 election

i was hoping you'd capture the sarcasm in the comment you are responding to

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bump to 100

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    woke is something thats become a vague and meaningless term that conservatives use to describe literally anything they dont like. taxes? woke. acknowledging historical racism? woke. gay and trans people merely existing? woke. donald trump calls people woke for acknowledging the results of the 2020 election

i was hoping you'd capture the sarcasm in the comment you are responding to
    Cool.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't want to close any doors before you have to, and we can wait out LA, and not lose other opportunities. LA likely doesn't want to go into training camp with this hanging over their heads. You just can't rush it when an unprotected FRP is up for grabs. Phoenix OTOH is in no hurry. Their goal is $15M off the cap figure before the Feb trade deadline so they stay out of the tax. There will also be other teams lining up around that time who look to not be making the playoffs.
    Problem is you have zero way of knowing when any door will close - and in all likelihood you won't be given any notice of it closing with you left on the outside wondering what if. You make a lot of assumptions as to what other teams may be willing to do, but there are also 28 other teams who may get in on the action while you sit around and wait for the best deal. You are correct, that you don't rush it... but you also can't just wait around for the perfect deal you've built in your mind to materialize. It's a game of chicken with a slice of poker and a pinch of roulette added in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Problem is you have zero way of knowing when any door will close - and in all likelihood you won't be given any notice of it closing with you left on the outside wondering what if. You make a lot of assumptions as to what other teams may be willing to do, but there are also 28 other teams who may get in on the action while you sit around and wait for the best deal. You are correct, that you don't rush it... but you also can't just wait around for the perfect deal you've built in your mind to materialize. It's a game of chicken with a slice of poker and a pinch of roulette added in.
    Maybe. I would think all these GM's talk to each other all the time and each one know who can do and is willing to do what except for those major deals that require quite a bit of negotiations.

Teams just aren't sitting in the dark waiting to see a light.
    They are all actively trying to find the strip that lights the match and have ideas how and who can do it.

Of course unforeseen things happen, just look at the Nets, but for the most part communication is open between teams and sometimes all it takes is the clock ticking down.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's a mistake to focus on LAL. We know they aren't going to be able to pay more than an unprotected first for Westbrook, seeing as they still have to pay the team they're getting the player from. There's pretty much more good reason to believe that saving all of their cap space for that trade is the best use. They could easily sign Sexton, take on a smaller bad-money deal for a first (likely protected but probably likely to convey) and still get future assets for Richardson and the other vets. They could get two or three firsts while still signing Sexton if they played their cards right. From what timvp said, the Spurs are likely willing to trade Poeltl AND take Westbrook for an unprotected pick. That's ridiculous, and it certainly isn't something I would consider better than locking in a young player who played well in a manageable contract with lots of option value. It's not even clear that the Spurs need to keep all of their cap space to take back Westbrook. The Spurs have a lot of good salary they can send out in a deal. Especially with them not being subject to aggregation rules, they could facilitate a Westbrook trade after doing any number of deals. Trying to define your off-season through a chicken match with another team is absurd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There aren't 28 teams with cap room. There are like 3, and we have the most. LA's door closes as training camp continues. If they're dumbasses, we move on to PHO.

It's not about waiting around, it's about waiting them out. They know, on some level, that we are their only chance to get rid of Russ, and acquire Kyrie. That's a powerful bargaining chip at the poker table. They won't want to cave in July, but they likely will in September, when another lottery season with old players is staring them in the face. They won't win a chip with Kyrie, but they'll be a top half playoff team with a chance to make a little noise. Compare that with another lottery trip, and then New Orleans swaps picks, which they have the right to do next year. LA literally cannot afford for that to happen.

Thread Information