My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's on the SPURSTALK front page don't know how to link to it.

Anyways with Murray's minutes going up to 30 soon, I think the Spurs should trade D WHITE unless Pop is going to play those two together. Why keep him if he's not going to play much? Let him go start somewhere else and get back a real small forward in the trade. D WHITE for Covington and a pick, who says no?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if your trolling or not because no one in there right mind would think trading white is a bright idea

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure if your trolling or not because no one in there right mind would think trading white is a bright idea
    Especially not for a journeyman tweener forward.

Yeah, lets' trade the guy who has bumped his scoring from 9.9 to 13, who's shooting 65% from 2 and 67.7% from 3.

Dumbass.
    Last edited by exstatic; 10-29-2019 at 09:51 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the second both become 35% shooters from three it will be one of the best backcourts in the nba ... yeah lets trade that away

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Popovich also said he envisions Murray and fellow defensive-minded guard Derrick White playing together more after Murray gets healthy. With White on the second unit and Murray’s playing time limited, the duo hadn’t shared the court much before Monday’s game against Portland.

“You know it makes us deeper if we can do that,” Popovich said, “but that will take a while.”
    https://www.expressnews.com/sports/s...s-14569828.php

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That answers that question. prayingdog.gif that both Murray and White, and the rest of the team for that matter, stay healthy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That answers that question. prayingdog.gif that both Murray and White, and the rest of the team for that matter, stay healthy.
    He’s just trying to go easy on other teams right now. When those two are each going 26-30 a night ... watch out

In all seriousness though, while a small sample size, the team has been bad when neither was on the court. Five minutes against the Wizards and -9. -2 in a couple of minutes against the Knicks.

With both on the court, perimeter defense should be outstanding and make up for other deficiencies.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Murray starts playing more minutes (hopefully 30 mpg) then this team will get much better. Especially if it means he and White will get minutes together and Marco/Mills gets less.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully Murray gets more careful with the ball in transition. He tries to go coast to coast and teams block him. I still have hopes that he'll be the all star that the Spurs expect him to be, but I do miss the days when Tony Parker was that one man fast break because it almost always ended with him getting two points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's so hard to take a racehorse with an opponent and an open course before him and to try and rein him in. Everything in his experience and his mind is telling him to run... run... run... and his body is too--until it might say WHOA--but you never know when , or if, that will come.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully Murray gets more careful with the ball in transition. He tries to go coast to coast and teams block him. I still have hopes that he'll be the all star that the Spurs expect him to be, but I do miss the days when Tony Parker was that one man fast break because it almost always ended with him getting two points.
    Bro... He has been blocked once in transition... U make it seem like it's a common occurrence... And it was an outstanding block by a great defender

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murray needs to learn Parker's spin fake and change direction. Murray has not learn to stop and fake instead of just forcing it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro... He has been blocked once in transition... U make it seem like it's a common occurrence... And it was an outstanding block by a great defender
    He got blocked or deflected two or three times. Another time he mistimed a pass badly. He is a work in progress. Definitely not an all star right now. He has nice surges from time to time, but he’s nothing like Parker in transition.

Its weird bc Parker and Manu were elite open court players. It’s weird to watch this current team turn it over on fast breaks or get blocked. Parker and Manu were automatic in those situations.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah until manu tried to throw a no look halfcourt pass to the coyote taking a whizz in the upper level bathrooms

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah until manu tried to throw a no look halfcourt pass to the coyote taking a whizz in the upper level bathrooms
    Hee hee
    Manu would throw some wild passes. He had no fear of repercussions of a bad play.
    Most entertaining player ever imo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am excited watching the young guns grow they all will have growing pains - Manu and Tony all had growing pains but it was a joy to watch them grow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyways with Murray's minutes going up to 30 soon, I think the Spurs should trade D WHITE unless Pop is going to play those two together. Why keep him if he's not going to play much? Let him go start somewhere else and get back a real small forward in the trade. D WHITE for Covington and a pick, who says no?
    If you think they can play together, obviously you don't trade anybody

If you think they can't play together, then it depends on the trade. Covington + pick is way too little for White, this summer showed that picks have little value in today's NBA. Spurs wouldn't get better having Covington and a future bench warmer in lieu of White. Anyway he makes so little that it is hard to get anything of value in return, so no, you don't trade him anyway.

This reminds me a bit of Denver that traded Nurkic because they had Jokic (same position, coach wouldn't play them together, both very good, both wanted and deserved to start, some similarities to Murray/White) and got immediately better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think they can play together, obviously you don't trade anybody

If you think they can't play together, then it depends on the trade. Covington + pick is way too little for White, this summer showed that picks have little value in today's NBA. Spurs wouldn't get better having Covington and a future bench warmer in lieu of White. Anyway he makes so little that it is hard to get anything of value in return, so no, you don't trade him anyway.

This reminds me a bit of Denver that traded Nurkic because they had Jokic (same position, coach wouldn't play them together, both very good, both wanted and deserved to start, some similarities to Murray/White) and got immediately better.
    Get your point but it's much easier to find solutions to make 2 guards play together than two centers in today's NBA. We're in a "one big rebounding, rim protector stiff + four shooting/perimeter players" league..

GAY can play 3 or 4 and defend Lebrons, Giannises, Nephews or even ADs then allows you to keep DJ, White and DDR on the floor at the same time. DJ and White also have a high defensive BBIQ and compensate with their activity and anticipation, making you to turn your weakness into a force with dynamic defense and fast breaks.

If gay is physically OK and delivering that could do it, but problem is he doesn't look that good so far. Let's hope he's getting in rhythm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Get your point but it's much easier to find solutions to make 2 guards play together than two centers in today's NBA. We're in a "one big rebounding, rim protector stiff + four shooting/perimeter players" league..

GAY can play 3 or 4 and defend Lebrons, Giannises, Nephews or even ADs then allows you to keep DJ, White and DDR on the floor at the same time. DJ and White also have a high defensive BBIQ and compensate with their activity and anticipation, making you to turn your weakness into a force with dynamic defense and fast breaks.

If gay is physically OK and delivering that could do it, but problem is he doesn't look that good so far. Let's hope he's getting in rhythm.
    Sure, in fact I said it reminds me a bit the Jokic/Nurkic situation, but it is different of course. Still, there are some problems in playing together Murray and White. No 3pt shooting from the backcourt, which is bad enough but also means DDR can't play. Then you need a very high pace to usa them in that context of no shooting threat: great, so you can't play Poeltl or LMA; you basically need a small lineup then, meaning you need deep shooting (Belinelli?, a no-defense shorty -Mills/Forbes?), etc etc. You see how impossible is to play them together on a regular basis?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu did wild things in the half court offense, for sure. But on the fast break, he was elite. He was great at finishing and making the right play. After seeing Manu and Parker execute early offense and fast breaks to perfection, it takes some patience to see Murray struggle. The thing about Murray, is he can make up for his still developing offense by defense and rebounding. If he can ever be consistent on fast breaks, he will be a weapon. His ability to get the rebound and push is similar to what Magic used to do back in the day, except Magic, of course, was also a master of the fast break.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu did wild things in the half court offense, for sure. But on the fast break, he was elite. He was great at finishing and making the right play. After seeing Manu and Parker execute early offense and fast breaks to perfection, it takes some patience to see Murray struggle. The thing about Murray, is he can make up for his still developing offense by defense and rebounding. If he can ever be consistent on fast breaks, he will be a weapon. His ability to get the rebound and push is similar to what Magic used to do back in the day, except Magic, of course, was also a master of the fast break.
    6/10 times manu makes the right decision
    1/10 he messes up
    2/10 he makes a play of staggering unprecedented genius
    1/10 he s it up so badly you wonder if he is in league with donaghy

he’s manu ginobili

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6/10 times manu makes the right decision
    1/10 he messes up
    2/10 he makes a play of staggering unprecedented genius
    1/10 he s it up so badly you wonder if he is in league with donaghy

he’s manu ginobili

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    D-White ain’t going anywhere...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didn't read any of the responses but trading White is probably the most re ed idea I've ever seen on this forum.

Thread Information