Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great game, obviously. One of the top two or three best games the Spurs have played this season.

But, big picture wise, they just held serve. Bonner is never going to outplay Randolph again in this series. The shooting was also especially on. Everything went about as perfect as possible.

This Game 2 could very well be what decides the series. The Grizzlies will come roaring back. The Spurs will have a natural letdown after today's perfection. This should be expected but can't be used as an excuse.

That said, keep this ish up. Please, please prove me laughable wrong. A Game 1 win against a team that is now 0-3 in Game 1s doesn't really move the needle ... but this serves as the blueprint on how to have success.

Get Game 2.

Believe.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah we need a lot more offense from the bigs in Game 2 and on. We can't expect the 3's to fall like they did today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol @ the "Believe" after all the latest suicidal posts.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they're going to give wide open threes like that...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exactly

although a totally different series

remember clips-grizz game 1 http://www.basketball-reference.com/...304200LAC.html, grizz also got blown out

spurs have to take care of game 2 and go from there

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they're going to give wide open threes like that...
    We've lost a lot of series the last 20 years because we failed to hit wide open threes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, the last time the Spurs were up 1-0 in the WCF, they lost four of the next five and lost 4-2.

The last time they were up 2-0 in the WCF, they lost four in a row and lost 4-2.

The last time Memphis was down 0-1 in a series, they won four straight and took the series 4-1.

The last time Memphis was down 0-2 in a series, they won four straight and took the series 4-2.

Time to change all the above.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yea even tony mentioned this at the post game presser...he said theres no one happy in the locker room and that we were up 2-0 last year and still lost so we got a long way to go...
    Last edited by Floyd Pacquiao; 05-19-2013 at 06:32 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This Game 2 could very well be what decides the series.
    No it won't. If the Spurs take game 2 then naturally that's huge because any playoff win against a strong team is huge but game 2 will by no means be the crucial must-win all-or-nothing game to decide the series.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, Zbo has been a non factor vs the Spurs in 5 games this season. Today may have been a fluke on Bonners part but the defense on Zach was not. He may play better but I think Pop has him figured out on defense. And if not for Pondexter 3s the Spurs probably would of won by 30+ easily. Lets not forget that Pop also has adjustments to make.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fear is not the word.
    Professionalism is.

Game 2 is needed as . Let's see how free the grizz gonna leave out shooters and pick and poppers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, the last time the Spurs were up 1-0 in the WCF, they lost four of the next five and lost 4-2.

The last time they were up 2-0 in the WCF, they lost four in a row and lost 4-2.

The last time Memphis was down 0-1 in a series, they won four straight and took the series 4-1.

The last time Memphis was down 0-2 in a series, they won four straight and took the series 4-2.

Time to change all the above.

Wow, didn't know that.

It'll have to take a 3-0 series lead to feel comfortable about this series.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duh.

The only time I worry about this being an issue is when they think the team they're playing can't beat them (like the Warriors series). Luckily, there's every reason to think that's not the case here. Besides, with how close they are to the Finals, to how they're never getting a better opportunity to get back, to how disappointed they've been the past two playoffs (and the fact that one of the two came at the hands of this team), to a 3 day break awaiting them after game 2, I don't see cause for concern. That doesn't mean they can't lose, just that it won't be because they didn't "keep the appropriate fear".

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We've lost a lot of series the last 20 years because we failed to hit wide open threes.
    Not really. The Spurs have lost a lot of playoff series trying to generate wide open threes. There's a difference between an offense that goes inside and kicks out to punish the defense vs an offense that runs plays trying to get guys open for jumpers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can we not fear an overwhelming favorite?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fear is not the word.
    Professionalism is.
    Exactly this. The Spurs play their game and show up for 48 minutes and they get days off to prepare for the finals. If the Spurs read their own press clippings, come out flat or think they can just sleepwalk through this series they're in for a rude awakening.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duh.

The only time I worry about this being an issue is when they think the team they're playing can't beat them (like the Warriors series). Luckily, there's every reason to think that's not the case here. Besides, with how close they are to the Finals, to how they're never getting a better opportunity to get back, to how disappointed they've been the past two playoffs (and the fact that one of the two came at the hands of this team), to a 3 day break awaiting them after game 2, I don't see cause for concern. That doesn't mean they can't lose, just that it won't be because they didn't "keep the appropriate fear".
    I agree..

The post-prime Duncan Spurs have had a penchant for choking, but I'm optimistic, tbh..

Last year was probably the best thing that could have happened for this year's version of the Spurs..it serves as a reality check and motivator, they can't get too comfortable..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope this win doesn't go their heads. Tends to happen a lot to the Spurs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Tony said "nobody is happy in the locker room since we were up 2-0 against OKC last year," I know this team is focused. As long as everybody stays healthy, I believe the Spurs will prevail even though the Grizzlies will not play this bad again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like the Spurs know this is it. They are not going to blow it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, Spurs need to realise that everything went right on this night but that the job will only be done when 3 more wins are in the bank... and then another 4 after that!

However, the great sign from this game is that our bigs can slow down theirs, our guys got lots of rest, and we didn't even have to put Kawhi/Danny on Conley, which we'll no doubt see in closer games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, Spurs need to realise that everything went right on this night but that the job will only be done when 3 more wins are in the bank... and then another 4 after that!

However, the great sign from this game is that our bigs can slow down theirs, our guys got lots of rest, and we didn't even have to put Kawhi/Danny on Conley, which we'll no doubt see in closer games.
    I believe and think that the 'rest' Kawhi/Danny get from defense in this series might give them more legs on offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A couple of grizz adjustments: 1. look for zbo to catch the ball further away from the paint. He still has a jumper and if the spurs choose to double, he can kick it easier than in the paint. 2. Hollins found something that worked in the 3rd and 4th but didn't go back to it: Inside out repost on gasol. fronting gasol made it difficult but rotating the perimeter man fixes that. 3. Coupon may see a start in this series. Game 2 would not be a surprise. 4. The grizz will turn Allen into a driver, especially if the only other driver is Conley.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They will stay back on the shooters next game. Tim and Tiago have to keep them guessing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs has lost 4 in a row before and the Grizzlies are perfectly capable of stringing that much wins. So the Spurs should not have a letdown until their tough opponent is finished.

Thread Information