Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y’all think he’s legit? Or stealing Timvps work?
    Wouldn't be the first time. Lookin' at you, Don Harris...

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most assume Sochan is gone before the Spurs pick at #9. If both are there, I think Sochan is a no-brainer. But that isn't likely given he's getting looks as high as #4 and had dinner with Pels (#7) brass.
    If Sochan goes higher than 9 it will be to the Pels. But most likely will be there for the Spurs at 9.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan at 9 would be an absolute success. Will be easier to stomach the inevitable reach at 20/25.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan brings the lob game with MUCH better defensive switchibility. We need a PF more than a center provided Poeltl stays of course.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd take Sochan over Duren too but I just think he won't be there anymore.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why not link Brown with the Scola trade? Had we not followed Brown's recommendation to sign Butler, we would've never had to include Scola as an inducement to take Butler. As far as the Spurs trying to sign Scola numerous times, that was never the case because Scola's agent stupidly allowed Scola to sign a contract with a European team. Look, the point is we need to be careful taking recommendations from the likes of guys like Larry Brown.
    Going back to the stories of the day, it was Dell Demps as a Knicks scout who was responsible for the Knicks signing him out of the CBA, then demps gets brought back to San Antonio to be the director of player personnel, Hollinger becomes a consultant, and when the Spurs wanted to sign Butler off of Demps and Hollinger, it was Pop who called Brown. Brown taking Pop's call about 2 weeks after he's been fired and only after after all the other Spurs paid employees and executives and consultants want butler signed is going to be held against Duren? One big fat guy failed and now the chiseled guy has to pay for it?

If Brown didn't say good things about Duren, would a lot of the same anti-Browners would flip the other way? "Can't take the kid, Larry Brown wouldn't recommend him, and he's a Hall of Fame coach!"

I could understand not factoring Brown's opinion at all, pro or con, due to him being an elderly man just sort of along for the ride on the Memphis bench.

Scola shouldn't factor into that. His agent said he needed a 3 year deal between 9-10 when the Spurs were screwing around, and that's what he got after the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Sochan goes higher than 9 it will be to the Pels. But most likely will be there for the Spurs at 9.
    Could also go to the Blazers (or a trade partner) at #7.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook would you be open to pick 11 + Fournier + Kemba into cap space if SA does not think they can land a Lavine, Ayton / Collins type?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook would you be open to pick 11 + Fournier + Kemba into cap space if SA does not think they can land a Lavine, Ayton / Collins type?
    The Spurs wouldn't know if they would have missed out on those guys before the draft. The 11th pick is nice, and Fournier and Walker could fill some holes in the rotation, but it's not enough to get me to agree before free agency. The Knicks might happen to draft the guy the Spurs would want at 11 and then trade that guy to SA in the summer once they struck out. But they could also draft a guy the Spurs don't want, which would tank the value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan brings the lob game with MUCH better defensive switchibility. We need a PF more than a center provided Poeltl stays of course.
    I wouldn't say Sochan brings the lob game, he's not really a vertically explosive athlete. I just watched a season highlight video by League Him that has about 54 or 55 of his 100 made field goals and only 2 were lob dunks and neither were skying well above the rim. Same 2 plays that were used by Coach Spins in his Box and One scouting video to posit him as a threat in the dunkers spot.

Which is true, if he's there then the play is there, but that's not the same as Duren, either in being involved in the action or catch radius, etc. Sochan as a lob threat I would put at the same level as Keita Bates Diop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't get me wrong, I'd take Sochan over Duren too but I just think he won't be there anymore.
    To quote myself, a draft where spurs could somehow get both Duren and Sochan with #9 + trades (Poeltl/other players/picks) would be an uvah success to me.. Not sure it's even remotely conceivable cos both are rising but we have two days left to dream.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs wouldn't know if they would have missed out on those guys before the draft. The 11th pick is nice, and Fournier and Walker could fill some holes in the rotation, but it's not enough to get me to agree before free agency. The Knicks might happen to draft the guy the Spurs would want at 11 and then trade that guy to SA in the summer once they struck out. But they could also draft a guy the Spurs don't want, which would tank the value.
    I get that - im operating under assumption that Sa does know where they stand in fa as most teams do. I know that’s not legal but I think they know. If not? You’re right. Not passing on Ayton or Lavine for that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To quote myself, a draft where spurs could somehow get both Duren and Sochan with #9 + trades (Poeltl/other players/picks) would be an uvah success to me.. Not sure it's even remotely conceivable cos both are rising but we have two days left to dream.
    That would be a pleasant change to our bigs dunking instead of getting dunked on

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y’all think he’s legit? Or stealing Timvps work?
    Hes legit. First to break the New Jersey sponsor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see the point of linking Brown with the Scola trade and that being a strike against Duren.. They had their chances to sign Scola multiple times but just weren't smart enough.

Their "Woe is us, Scola buyout too hard! He never NBA." routine blew up in their stupid faces when Morey near instantly signed him to the same deal that his agent was reportedly asking for forever.
    Oh, yeah, no, I don't hold the LB endorsement against Duren due to the Scola situation. If anything, the endorsement is a slight positive because it's better than LB telling the Spurs not to draft Duren.

Connecting it to Jackie Butler, I'd just hope the Spurs don't blindly pick Duren just because they trust LB more than any other source. That's unlikely the case at this point with LB being in his 80s so I'm not really worried about that.

For the record, I too was all for the Butler signing. I even remember making a thread where I crunched the numbers of all the center free agents and Butler came out on top. I would have been right next to LB, Hollinger and Demps suggesting the Spurs sign Butler

The salary dumping was dumb because Butler's salary was so tiny. And Buford's handling of the Scola situation was easily the low point of his career. It's ridiculous to think that Buford spent time emailing Scola to tell him he wasn't rebounding enough in Europe -- when Scola was a leading rebounder there and was a top tier rebounder in the NBA. And then all that false outrage at Tau Ceramica claiming they wouldn't let Scola out of his deal. The Rockets exposed that lie days after trading for Scola.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't say Sochan brings the lob game, he's not really a vertically explosive athlete. I just watched a season highlight video by League Him that has about 54 or 55 of his 100 made field goals and only 2 were lob dunks and neither were skying well above the rim. Same 2 plays that were used by Coach Spins in his Box and One scouting video to posit him as a threat in the dunkers spot.

Which is true, if he's there then the play is there, but that's not the same as Duren, either in being involved in the action or catch radius, etc. Sochan as a lob threat I would put at the same level as Keita Bates Diop
    I think Spur fans are going to be really disappointed in Sochan's offensive game if they get him at 9. He was coming off the bench for a reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spur fans are going to be really disappointed in Sochan's offensive game if they get him at 9. He was coming off the bench for a reason.
    If it’s Sochan, then Poeltl really has to go. I don’t see both of them on the court together.

But eventually, I think Sochan’s offense would be okay. He doesn’t really have bad shooting mechanics. Keldon’s was almost hitting the ceiling and I was always cringing when he was hurling those 3’s. But now the best 3pt shooter in the group.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched every Baylor game this year, and l wouldn't read anything into the fact that he was coming off the bench.

Jonathan Tchamua Tchachoua ("Everyday Jon") was a superior Center, but he came off the bench in favor of Flo Thamba. And their most potent pure scorer, LJ Cryer, also came off the bench. Sochan also stepped up his minutes and impact down the stretch as the aforementioned "Everyday Jon" tore his knee ligaments. He was also not asked to take on a scoring role in the offense, as it was guard-dominant; particularly with James Akinjo at point.

I'm not saying Jeremy is an offensive weapon, but he does have a good feel for the game and was one of the most impactful players on the team regardless of role.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a pleasant change to our bigs dunking instead of getting dunked on
    I can still see Ja's nuts in Poeltl's face and Murray about 12 feet behind the play. We've simply got to get more athletic.

Biggest disappointment in taking Primo is his lack of forward explosiveness and lateral movement. Draft this year is crucial given we're about to be overflowing with youth, and much of it is absolutely behind the curve on the league's athletic chart.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Two years ago, Haliburton. Last year, Sengun. As for team wishes, we rarely learn what the front office wants.
    I remember Sengun's Uncle saying it will be Orlando or SA for Alperen the draft day...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can still see Ja's nuts in Poeltl's face and Murray about 12 feet behind the play. We've simply got to get more athletic.

Biggest disappointment in taking Primo is his lack of forward explosiveness and lateral movement. Draft this year is crucial given we're about to be overflowing with youth, and much of it is absolutely behind the curve on the league's athletic chart.
    My point exactly for taking a point-of-attack defender, besides the obvious hole at 4. Davis is arguably the best point-of-attack defender on this draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hearing that the Ayton for Anunoby package is heating up, take that as you will.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hearing that the Ayton for Anunoby package is heating up, take that as you will.
    but those are our guys

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would they want or need a third team? Any way for the Spurs to get involved that makes sense?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brian Windhorst just now on ESPN said he’s hearing that the Blazers are no longer shopping the 7th pick and are now targeting Shaedon Sharpe at pick 7. Sounds like he has a promise from Portland, which would make sense since he just canceled his work out with the Wizards at #10.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point exactly for taking a point-of-attack defender, besides the obvious hole at 4. Davis is arguably the best point-of-attack defender on this draft.
    Does he have the requisite athleticism to be that guy in the NBA?

Thread Information