My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speculation or actual reporting?
    Chase Hughes(NBS sports Was) mentioned it on a podcast yesterday

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know who I remember from last draft specifically keeping super secret his workouts?

Tell me if you remember Josh Giddey being super tight with that info. The Olympics or something (some international comp ion, my memory is on this!) was going on, so he didn't work out for anyone (allegedly)... he had like an open gym workout for scouts and that was it. Turns out later it came out that he had worked out in secret for OKC and the warriors... and that he had been in trade talks as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've never been the greatest fan of Duren, but that is a very smart move. I think he'll be one of the hottest commodities for teams picking below 9, because many of them have a glaring hole at C (like OKC & Charlotte) and will be extremely happy if he falls into their lap. Taking him and having them come at your feet offering their picks + assets (12 + whatever, 13 + 15) would give us a lot of options, or we could keep Duren and further explore trades involving Poeltl.
    Id explore trades for Jakob myself. I don't want to saddle my lot to Jakob. This team is young and getting younger, Jakob is a win now player with a limited ceiling. He will soon be earning 20 million a year and he's not worth that for a team that is rebuilding. I like Jakob a lot, despite all my comments in favor of a trade for him. You will see my comments after the play in game where I thought he was really more significant than any other Spurs for stretches other than the time Keldon put his boy pants on and finally started to hit shots. I really thought Jakob did better than the year before for example. Still, it's a player with a known ceiling and the Spurs should look for more, ways to get better, assets, even centers that are unknown but could have a better ceiling. Can't let those guys go because you have Jakob in the fold. Just my humble opinion.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Id explore trades for Jakob myself. I don't want to saddle my lot to Jakob. This team is young and getting younger, Jakob is a win now player with a limited ceiling. He will soon be earning 20 million a year and he's not worth that for a team that is rebuilding. I like Jakob a lot, despite all my comments in favor of a trade for him. You will see my comments after the play in game where I thought he was really more significant than any other Spurs for stretches other than the time Keldon put his boy pants on and finally started to hit shots. I really thought Jakob did better than the year before for example. Still, it's a player with a known ceiling and the Spurs should look for more, ways to get better, assets, even centers that are unknown but could have a better ceiling. Can't let those guys go because you have Jakob in the fold. Just my humble opinion.
    I think we could say the same about DJ (although he's alot more valuable than Jak). He's probably close to his ceiling as well. To me if we're trading Jak for picks then we should look at doing something similar with DJ and go with a younger player timeline. Now, if we trade Jak in a trade for a different win now player who may fit with our players better then I get keeping DJ and building with him.

I know we've all said it alot the past couple years but we need to pick a direction.

Starter
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting phrasing there? "No longer shopping" rather than "no longer looking to trade". Windy is quite intentional with what he says. Makes it seem like a deal might already be done there rather than Portland making a pick to keep themselves. Quite possibly OKC for 12 and future picks, that Portland then flip to Detroit for Grant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right. Agbaji incoming... should've seen the Bill Self ties all along.
    His name is on the jersey now!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we could say the same about DJ (although he's alot more valuable than Jak). He's probably close to his ceiling as well. To me if we're trading Jak for picks then we should look at doing something similar with DJ and go with a younger player timeline. Now, if we trade Jak in a trade for a different win now player who may fit with our players better then I get keeping DJ and building with him.

I know we've all said it alot the past couple years but we need to pick a direction.
    I am reluctant to trade DJ, but there will come a point, perhaps not too far in the future where if the Spurs are still in this limbo they really will have to consider it. I don't want them to wait until the last possible moment like they did with Kawhi and be forced to trade a distressed asset that is fed up with losing and wants out. Once DJ is a FA its game over. Even if they can get something in return for him, like they did with Derozan, their options will be reduced to wherever DJ wants to go. This is a delicate subject I am sure. Hopefully they have better foresight and are opportunistic to maximize his value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

you can‘t compare Poeltl to DJ tbh. DJ is a way better player and not that easy to replace. He‘ll also still get better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am reluctant to trade DJ, but there will come a point, perhaps not too far in the future where if the Spurs are still in this limbo they really will have to consider it. I don't want them to wait until the last possible moment like they did with Kawhi and be forced to trade a distressed asset that is fed up with losing and wants out. Once DJ is a FA its game over. Even if they can get something in return for him, like they did with Derozan, their options will be reduced to wherever DJ wants to go. This is a delicate subject I am sure. Hopefully they have better foresight and are opportunistic to maximize his value.
    Oddly enough, it wasn't until after he became an All-Star that I finally gave into the idea of trading him. This year showed me that he's definitely maxed out defensively and his max simply isn't good enough to even really slow down the best guards in the league, let alone our division.

He gambles too much, too.

I am sure he'll get better offensively though since he's shown improvement there every year. But given the whole package and what's assuredly a rising price tag to keep him, I think the time is now. Sell high and thank himfor his efforts. That's how a team like the Spurs rebuild when the choice to extend is questionable. It has to be a no-brainer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oddly enough, it wasn't until after he became an All-Star that I finally gave into the idea of trading him. This year showed me that he's definitely maxed out defensively and his max simply isn't good enough to even really slow down the best guards in the league, let alone our division.

I am sure he'll get better offensively though since he's shown improvement there every year. But given the whole package and what's assuredly a rising price tag to keep him, I think the time is now. Sell high and thank himfor his efforts. That's how a team like the Spurs rebuild when the choice to extend is questionable. It has to be a no-brainer.
    He literally had todo everything this year. Everything, every night. Spurstalk favourite Derrick White couldn’t lighten the load in a backup capacity.

Every player on this team relied on him, every fking game. Not one other player could create their own offense. Only Jak played consistent defense. Outside of JRich, Tre Jones was probably the next best 2 way player on the team.

Surround DJ with better players and he still has upside.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you can‘t compare Poeltl to DJ tbh. DJ is a way better player and not that easy to replace. He‘ll also still get better
    I'm not comparing their value (I even said DJ is far more valuable).. I'm saying they are on the same win-now timeline and trading Jak for just picks doesn't do anything to serve DJ's timeline so you might as well trade DJ for picks too. Basically, if we keep DJ then any trade for Jak should be for a player instead of picks to build alongside DJ.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would make a twin towers combo for OKC... They have the 12... Duren doesn't make it there, bc if they don't trade up to grab him.... TA-DA!!! Spurs grab him. Now they can do whatever with him, flip him for assets they like or keep. I am all for keep, but strategically taking Duren at 9 is a great move.
    If we get Duren, I hope like we keep him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He literally had todo everything this year. Everything, every night. Spurstalk favourite Derrick White couldn’t lighten the load in a backup capacity.

Every player on this team relied on him, every fking game. Not one other player could create their own offense. Only Jak played consistent defense. Outside of JRich, Tre Jones was probably the next best 2 way player on the team.

Surround DJ with better players and he still has upside.
    This is a fair defense of DJ and you're probably right on most of it. But his defense was concerning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a fair response to DJ and you're probably right on most of it. But his defense was concerning.
    His on ball defense was average at best but I think he has the ability to grow as an on ball defender if he isn’t asked todo so much elsewhere nightly and why Johnny Davis could be a solid backcourt running mate.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random idea: Spurs draft either Jalen Williams or Dyson and play them at SF, but in the process see if they could succeed as our point guard. If so, a trade for DJ opens wide up down the road.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hornets trying to use one of their picks to dump Hayward so they can extend Bridges.

Hmm?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hornets trying to use one of their picks to dump Hayward so they can extend Bridges.

Hmm?
    Hayward and 13 for McDermott...I might consider that...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hmm?
    They’ll probably need to use both picks in that case. That’s two years left on that deal, ouch

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Hmm?
    I think that came up here a while back. They'd need more than one of those picks. That salary is really bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hot take alert: Spurs need to draft good players… lol on a serious note I do think sometimes teams swing to the fences to hard on guys. I think one of the reasons spurs have success drafting is they generally do draft guys that are good basketball players tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What has made me think about it at all is not his skill or anything. It's rather that him and the team seem to be on different timelines. The team is getting younger and needs to keep fishing for talent, while DJ has improved and is now in his prime and wants to compete right now. It makes for a situation where he's not going to be satisfied. Last year it was cringe emojis over the Primo pick. I think it's nothing against Primo the person, by all accounts DJ is a good teammate. It's more that the player selected seemed a reach and was a project years away, no one he expected at that spot. He constantly makes statements about winning being his goal, and he is public about it. If he says these things publicly, you can imagine the frustration bubbling privately.

So, I think this is all a lengthy way of trying to express that perhaps player and team are on a different path at this point. I can't blame the Spurs if they choose to continue with the rebuild and don't make win now moves, because they probably are realistically, more than one move away, but OTOH, don't be surprised if DJ doesn't want to stick around for a rebuild any longer. The further away they look from contending, the more he will want to leave.

This is a thing that has some kind of timeframe where you would expect they would be better by then, or they will have to trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    thanks for posting this. it's funny.

and it made me think... due diligence. This is how it went on.

Spurs: o Sacramento, Portland, etc. what do you want in exchange for your pick?
    Team targeted: Yea, I'll trade it to your for Dejoune and we do a pick swap.

Spurs hang up.

Rumors start that teams are asking for trades involving Dejounte.

My Girl's a Hooper keithington1's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really want the Spurs to come out of the draft with Duren, Eason, and McGowens. They fit the Spurs play style and would raise the Spurs ceiling. They all need strong coaching and development but if they hit you have three stars with size, and much needed athleticism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really want the Spurs to come out of the draft with Duren, Eason, and McGowens. They fit the Spurs play style and would raise the Spurs ceiling. They all need strong coaching and development but if they hit you have three stars with size, and much needed athleticism.
    Just looked up that McGowens guy. He looks like a carbon copy of Dejounte.

Thread Information