Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    And losing to the Spurs recently - losing to the damn Rockets like 2 or 3 times this year.

Nothing exciting about this year, besides the occassional Luka magic at the buzzer.

And Cuban and Luka ing about the play-in reeks of mediocrity mentality. Like GTFO out of the low seeds and you don't have to worry about it. Supposed to see progression and instead they just seem stuck in 8 seed purgatory.
    Watch they drop 2 out of the next 3 against NYK, SAC and DET tbh

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    tbh regular season results are about as meaningless as ever in today's NBA

since every team basically plays the same and just jacks up 3's, all it takes is for one team to be cold and the other to be hot one night and even the tiest teams can blow out some of the top ones any given night imo

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm pretty much expecting it

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    lol this team is mediocre and thats clear for anyone who has actually watched them more than a couple of times this season. No one can be counted on other than Luka and KP and thats why they lost to teams like the ing rockets and spurs just last week. But then again you probably wouldnt know that since youre too busy keeping up with the lakers and constantly slobering on lebrons
    did you honestly expect them to win a championship this season? its a matter of seeing progress, which there clearly has been some, especially considering all the obstacles this seasons held out for them

luka has continued to progress as an all around player
    maxi finally developed a solid 3pt shot
    dodo improved offensively
    jb's become a real solid guard

they obviously arent there yet but the progress is promising. if you were expecting them to ring, then you're actually more delusional than i imagined

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    tbh regular season results are about as meaningless as ever in today's NBA

since every team basically plays the same and just jacks up 3's, all it takes is for one team to be cold and the other to be hot one night and even the tiest teams can blow out some of the top ones any given night imo
    and then after a 73 win warriors and 67 win spurs teams got bounced by 57 win cleveland and 55 win okc in 2016, and lebron repeatedly coasting all season only to hit another gear come playoffs and get to the finals annually over teams that bust their tails all season long to get higher seeds, regular seasons have kinda lost their luster for the time being

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    and then after a 73 win warriors and 67 win spurs teams got bounced by 57 win cleveland and 55 win okc in 2016, and lebron repeatedly coasting all season only to hit another gear come playoffs and get to the finals annually over teams that bust their tails all season long to get higher seeds, regular seasons have kinda lost their luster for the time being
    Yep, point I'm making is that pretty much anybody can take over and score 40 points a game today since it's just a "hoistfest" out there. Anybody can go off. Conversely you think about the mid-00's and the games/matchups were much more predictable. You always knew Erick Dampier was going to get dad- ed by Amare Stoudemire when playing the Suns. There was no way it wasn't going to be completely one-sided. Just like you knew it was going to be a long night for Slava Medvedenko when guarding Tim Duncan. It was just a matter of damage control and hoping that your three best players outplayed the other team's three best players for the most part.

Here's a list of the highest scoring games in the NBA in 2020-21.

http://www.espn.com/nba/gameleaders/_/sort/points

You've got damn near half the league that has had atleast one 40 point game...some of these guys I've never even heard of. rofl Van Fleet even had a 50+ point game. There used to be only 3-4 guys a season who could get you 50. Back in the early 00's all the 40+ point scoring games were limited to just the All Star level players. So saying "I can't believe X team lost to Y team tonight!" just doesn't mean as much as it used to

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yep, point I'm making is that pretty much anybody can take over and score 40 points a game today since it's just a "hoistfest" out there. Anybody can go off. Conversely you think about the mid-00's and the games/matchups were much more predictable. You always knew Erick Dampier was going to get dad- ed by Amare Stoudemire when playing the Suns. There was no way it wasn't going to be completely one-sided. Just like you knew it was going to be a long night for Slava Medvedenko when guarding Tim Duncan. It was just a matter of damage control and hoping that your three best players outplayed the other team's three best players for the most part.

Here's a list of the highest scoring games in the NBA in 2020-21.

http://www.espn.com/nba/gameleaders/_/sort/points

You've got damn near half the league that has had atleast one 40 point game...some of these guys I've never even heard of. rofl Van Fleet even had a 50+ point game. There used to be only 3-4 guys a season who could get you 50. Back in the early 00's all the 40+ point scoring games were limited to just the All Star level players. So saying "I can't believe X team lost to Y team tonight!" just doesn't mean as much as it used to
    Undrafted - likely waiting tables or a plumber if not in NBA, right lefty ?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    did you honestly expect them to win a championship this season? its a matter of seeing progress, which there clearly has been some, especially considering all the obstacles this seasons held out for them

luka has continued to progress as an all around player
    maxi finally developed a solid 3pt shot
    dodo improved offensively
    jb's become a real solid guard

they obviously arent there yet but the progress is promising. if you were expecting them to ring, then you're actually more delusional than i imagined
    Yeah obviously I didn't expect a championship but if you think they have taken any sort of significant leap as a team this season you're the one who's delusional. They were first round fodder last year, they're still at best first round fodder this year. And they have very limited options to improve in the off-season so we might as well expect more of the same for next year tbh

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Yeah obviously I didn't expect a championship but if you think they have taken any sort of significant leap as a team this season you're the one who's delusional. They were first round fodder last year, they're still at best first round fodder this year. And they have very limited options to improve in the off-season so we might as well expect more of the same for next year tbh
    if you didn't expect much from them, then idk why you're getting so butthurt

I never said they made a significant leap as a team. I said I noticed improvement from individual players. and I see potential to be better than this, especially considering the changes in roster, all the injuries and illnesses combined with what was by far the toughest schedule in the league until about the last week or so. they honestly haven't had much time to develop chemistry.

you think no one has improved at all from last year to this?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    The team as a whole has taken a step backwards. Look at the differentials and they are worse in several categories compared to last year. Most notably the point diff dropped from +4.9 to +1.6. They are also not rebounding as well and turning it over more often. That's why I asked everyone about Carlisle and what their thoughts are on him. Maybe they are tuning him out?

Plenty of obstacles this year like KP coming back from injury, dealing with a tough schedule + covid, etc. But I do wonder what happens at next season's trade deadline if they are still barely hovering over .500 and KP is still missing 3 out of every 10 games.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    yes but again last year's team and situation compared to this year's team and situation are apples to oranges. roster is far different, playing style is far different.

but several individual players have made noticable improvements.

regardless I'd like to see another adjustment to the roster, whether it's adding a defensive leader or someone who can play off luka and get easy paint buckets
    Last edited by Neo.; 04-15-2021 at 10:16 PM.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    And right on cue

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    if you didn't expect much from them, then idk why you're getting so butthurt

I never said they made a significant leap as a team. I said I noticed improvement from individual players. and I see potential to be better than this, especially considering the changes in roster, all the injuries and illnesses combined with what was by far the toughest schedule in the league until about the last week or so. they honestly haven't had much time to develop chemistry.

you think no one has improved at all from last year to this?
    You do realize there's a middle ground between championship and mediocrity, right? me

Expecting them to simply have a realistic chance of winning a 1st round series given what they showed last season didn't seem too much to ask. Alas, here we are. And yes Burnson has been better, Luka has improved some areas of his game. KP seems to have taken a step back defensively and while hes ok on offense he seems less and less like the 2nd option they need. The role players are mediocre though and they are what they are so I'm not sure what kind of potential you are seeing with this group. This team needs a lot of changes to be compe ive and right now I dont see the mavs having the means to make those changes in the near future tbh

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Thus far it’s pretty clear that Mark/Donnie are mismanaging Luka’s first contract just as poorly as they mismanaged 90% of Dirk’s prime. So many moves that were questionable when made and are pretty clearly poor decisions in hindsight.

They still have time to make some miracle 2010 moves, but it’s looking like those guys have no idea how to build a team aside from hitting the superstar lottery.

And I love Rick but I don’t know that he’s the coach to lead this new team. Does he even run plays anymore? Feels like we have a white & bald Tyron Lue now.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    You do realize there's a middle ground between championship and mediocrity, right? me

Expecting them to simply have a realistic chance of winning a 1st round series given what they showed last season didn't seem too much to ask. Alas, here we are. And yes Burnson has been better, Luka has improved some areas of his game. KP seems to have taken a step back defensively and while hes ok on offense he seems less and less like the 2nd option they need. The role players are mediocre though and they are what they are so I'm not sure what kind of potential you are seeing with this group. This team needs a lot of changes to be compe ive and right now I dont see the mavs having the means to make those changes in the near future tbh
    lol yeah as if that middle ground really means much either

over the past 20+ years it's not like most championship teams gradually get farther and farther until they finally win a championship. about the last time some team legitimately built from the ground up and made gradual improvements was the bulls. most other teams either had a massive free agency superstar splash, tanked (lol spurs), or had a series of good off-season moves

and don't underestimate the desperation (or stupidity) of other teams. just because we don't see the value of a player, doesn't mean other people see it the same. look at how much value a bum like antoine walker (coming off arguably his worst year where everyone saw how trash he actually was) netted for the mavs dallas definitely has their flaws with team building, but they definitely have had plenty of success at making moves and eventually finding a good mix as well, otherwise they wouldn't have built a pair of finals teams around Dirk. most other teams don't even sniff that kind of limited success once during a stars tenure. I'd feel pretty confident some teams out there would be willing to take on guys like KP and jrich without hesitation

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Its too bad Donnie Nelson doesn't read these boards. What this team really needs is some veteran savvy, 30% corner three point shooters. Wonder if we could convince Wesley Matthews to come back on a max deal? What's Devean George up to these days?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

A big step, imo. Probably the worst P n R defender in the NBA.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Its too bad Donnie Nelson doesn't read these boards. What this team really needs is some veteran savvy, 30% corner three point shooters. Wonder if we could convince Wesley Matthews to come back on a max deal? What's Devean George up to these days?
    They'll wait till he tears his other achilles to max him out again

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol yeah as if that middle ground really means much either

over the past 20+ years it's not like most championship teams gradually get farther and farther until they finally win a championship. about the last time some team legitimately built from the ground up and made gradual improvements was the bulls. most other teams either had a massive free agency superstar splash, tanked (lol spurs), or had a series of good off-season moves

and don't underestimate the desperation (or stupidity) of other teams. just because we don't see the value of a player, doesn't mean other people see it the same. look at how much value a bum like antoine walker (coming off arguably his worst year where everyone saw how trash he actually was) netted for the mavs dallas definitely has their flaws with team building, but they definitely have had plenty of success at making moves and eventually finding a good mix as well, otherwise they wouldn't have built a pair of finals teams around Dirk. most other teams don't even sniff that kind of limited success once during a stars tenure. I'd feel pretty confident some teams out there would be willing to take on guys like KP and jrich without hesitation
    Yeah, I think pre-2011 le team they were very good at filling gaps in trade. Marion/Kidd/Tyson/Peja/Caron/Haywood. All good pickups. But since then they seem to be off their game. Chris Kman Darin Collison, OJ Mayo, Lamar dom Barnes, Wes Matthews, The one guy i really liked was Seth and they ditched him.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Thus far it’s pretty clear that Mark/Donnie are mismanaging Luka’s first contract just as poorly as they mismanaged 90% of Dirk’s prime. So many moves that were questionable when made and are pretty clearly poor decisions in hindsight.

They still have time to make some miracle 2010 moves, but it’s looking like those guys have no idea how to build a team aside from hitting the superstar lottery.

And I love Rick but I don’t know that he’s the coach to lead this new team. Does he even run plays anymore? Feels like we have a white & bald Tyron Lue now.
    That's become the elephant in the room. No JKidd out there...no real savvy vet floor general and this team is in trouble. Luka is on an island trying to figure everything out.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Yeah, I think pre-2011 le team they were very good at filling gaps in trade. Marion/Kidd/Tyson/Peja/Caron/Haywood. All good pickups. But since then they seem to be off their game. Chris Kman Darin Collison, OJ Mayo, Lamar dom Barnes, Wes Matthews, The one guy i really liked was Seth and they ditched him.
    aside from odom none of those were necessarily terrible, in fact some of them turned out to be pretty good value signings, they simply weren't a very good team anymore with dirk declining. tbh adding a guy like harrison barnes to be a 3rd or 4th option now would actually be pretty solid, as opposed to a desperation move for a franchise player

I'm just not of the opinion that the mavs are all that far off. one or two good moves and they are easy le contenders. pessimistic mavs fans were saying they were utterly hopeless after getting bounced in 2010 by the spurs and needed to blow up the team or make a bunch of moves to compete. turned out all they really needed was one solid addition. not saying this team is in the same spot by any means, but just that it's easy to overestimate the flaws, especially in a very unusual year.

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can the Mavs get for Porzingis? There is no way Luka is gonna be happy with this loser being injured all te time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What can the Mavs get for Porzingis? There is no way Luka is gonna be happy with this loser being injured all te time.
    With his contract? Nothing.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    looking good so far. sure they could still lose the series but id say they've been pretty impressive as a mediocre team that was destined to be embarrassed in the play-in and at best would be first round fodder, going up 2-0 coming back home playing against a team many picked as the championship favorites

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they'll make another big mistake when they give hardaway jr a max.

I do have to say tho, he was by far the best player in that trade for Zingis.

Thread Information