Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/grades-san...in-tournament/

Welp, season over. Interesting ride.

Big upcoming summer

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Needed more Dieng. Could be said a lot the past 10-15 games . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great stuff as usual.

Ugh your last paragraph/sentence...so much rides on this off season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. I can't help but notice that Dieng has been the star pupil of your grades lately, and I'm mystified by Pop's use of him, especially tonight against a team he's familiar with, where his threat as a 3 pt shooter would've pulled Valanciunas away from the paint and his domination on the boards.

Game 69:
    Dieng was the player who kept the Spurs afloat after Pop waved the white flag early in the fourth quarter. While San Antonio never got closer than 11 points in the fourth, Dieng’s defense, rebounding, passing and finishing made the Nets sweat a couple extra drops. He’s still making mistakes scheme-wise but he’s obviously a talented basketball player.
    Grade: A-

Game 70: DNP

Game 71:
    Dieng was easily the best player on the court for the Spurs. He made smart decisions and consistently played with a wherewithal everyone else on the team lacked.

Game 72:
    One thing that has become obvious about Dieng is that he’s a better than advertised passer. When he has the ball on the perimeter, he can effortlessly find open cutters and doesn’t hesitate to go from good to great. He might also be the best three-point shooter on the team, which obviously makes him valuable on this shooting starved squad.
    Grade: B+

Play in Game:
    Dieng actually played really, really well. Things seemed to flow a lot smoother when he was on the court. The rare times Valanciunas was held off the boards, it was usually Dieng doing the heavy lifting. His rotations and his guarding of the paint were also impressive. Offensively, the spacing he provided was extremely useful and he made smart decisions with the ball. In retrospect, he should have played more.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 05-20-2021 at 01:09 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great stuff as usual.

Ugh your last paragraph/sentence...so much rides on this off season.
    Gonna be a lot of disappointment when they throw the max at DePression and give Mills another $50mil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades and all this year, OP!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Know it wasn't easy (this has been the most frustrating season in my Spurs fandom at least), but you managed game grades every game this season. Props

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thx OP, since i couldn't watch all the games due to the timezone i always read your grades, i will miss this routine, thx again bro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp. Spot on. I like that they never gave up after the horrendous start. I can’t really blame Pop for leaning on Demar and not pulling him out. Demar IS the leader of this team. He had the responsibility to correct his ways and lead the team to win. It didn’t happen, but I think it’s the correct call. You live and die with your franchise player. But throughout the season it’s been clear that Demar’s game is not suited for the team, especially for this 3pt dominated league. But most especially, the iso plays hurt the ball rotation so prevalent during the beautiful game. This team needs shooters, and that includes the starting Center. I really like Dieng for that position, mobile big, who doesn’t backdown and most importantly who can pass and shoot. I feel he likes the team, and hoping he’ll be back. I would really like DJ, Lonnie, Keldon, Luka and Dieng as starters. And White, Vassell as the 1st ones coming off the bench. Looking forward to the off-season moves.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan forcing shots vs Brooks, then proceeding to shoot like 0/10 on him or some , what an idiot

Lets all pray Spurs have a good offseason and Derozan isnt back with the team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades. I liked how the team battled back at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you're a believer in the young core, this quote is pretty exciting IMO.

I don't remember hearing about a summer where the young guys actually worked together in the summer. Vassell may be the glue to all that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you're a believer in the young core, this quote is pretty exciting IMO.

I don't remember hearing about a summer where the young guys actually worked together in the summer. Vassell may be the glue to all that.
    Saying all the right things, let’s hope they follow through. Our young core has the ability to be a sound supporting cast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are not going to win many games with Gay playing hero ball going 8 for 21. The only reason his grade is so high is because everyone else is so bad. This team badly needs to move on from Gay, Mills, DDR and Pop. The youngsters need to be held accountable particularly for their shooting or lack thereof.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are not going to win many games with Gay playing hero ball going 8 for 21. The only reason his grade is so high is because everyone else is so bad. This team badly needs to move on from Gay, Mills, DDR and Pop. The youngsters need to be held accountable particularly for their shooting or lack thereof.
    Gay and Mills are like our best shooters. This is like one of the youngest spurs teams Pop has ever coached. Who are we replacing Mills and Gay with, let alone DDR?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay and Mills are like our best shooters. This is like one of the youngest spurs teams Pop has ever coached. Who are we replacing Mills and Gay with, let alone DDR?
    Bigger roles for KJ, Vassell, LUKA and hopefully twinkle toes White can stay on the court can eat those minutes and then sign and draft shooters. I’d actually be ok having Gay and Mills for cheap vets back if Pop understood that they are not 20+ min a game players, but having them on the team just puts blinders on the old man. Derozan is good but he has no place with this team, appreciate what he’s done while he was here.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was clear Dieng was the right move to counter V. We also all knew simulator crew would take him out and trot Poetl back out to get destroyed.

So sad and predictable.

Dieng's a great get and should be a priority to resign this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades all season, timvp. Your analysis is always fun to read and it's always amusing to see people get all fussy about the grades you give certain people.

I know that you put in a lot of time (usually in the wee hours) for these even though this wasn't really a season to write home about (pun intended). Your hard work is much appreciated!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    completely agree, hand over the reigns to Becky or something. Watching Pop blow up on a young player for making a basketball mistake and pulling them makes me not want to watch. If he held the vets to the same standard they’d never see the court. He’s neutered our youth. I mean look at a player like Brooks on Memphis, he’d be out of the league if the Spurs coaching started his career but instead he’s been able to play and make mistakes and plays with more confidence than any of the Spurs youth. Sad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your fandom is amazing Timvp. I haven’t been able to keep up with this team as I usually do since my schedule is so busy now but you were able to take up the slack and give insight all year long.

That being said, I hope this Poeltl starting experience is over. I hope NYK offers Demar 30 million a year. I hope Derrick White stays healthy and Dejounte both learns how to post and shoot a 3.

And shout out to my boy Patty. What a ride it’s been! And thank you Rudy Gay for proving me correct that we shoulda got rid of your ass after the Denver series. And Pop, you can do whatever the you want. Ride or die homie and it’s die time right now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    completely agree, hand over the reigns to Becky or something. Watching Pop blow up on a young player for making a basketball mistake and pulling them makes me not want to watch. If he held the vets to the same standard they’d never see the court. He’s neutered our youth. I mean look at a player like Brooks on Memphis, he’d be out of the league if the Spurs coaching started his career but instead he’s been able to play and make mistakes and plays with more confidence than any of the Spurs youth. Sad
    What did Eubanks do (or not do) that had Lord Poppy limit him to 3 minutes?

BTW the 17-0 run featured 1 (one) basket by Derozan. The 2nd run featured Deng.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1st half he sucked. But the stretch run Gay was super clutch.

But yes, the overall shooting selection and strategy of Lord Poppy was pathetic. Per the 2014- usual.

DeMar DeRozan in his first postseason game every year:

2014: 13 points, 3-13
    2015: 15 points, 6-20
    2016: 14 points, 5-19
    2017: 27 points, 7-21
    2018: 17 points, 6-17
    2019: 18 points, 6-17
    2021: 20 points, 5-21

...29.7% from the field...

It’s absolutely uncanny in the worst way.
    GOAT coach and Yes Men assistants took note of this pregame.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DeRozan should be a humongous F. He is 100% the reason the Spurs lost this game. Agree with the grades overall though. Like I said in the GT, Spurs should have closed with Dieng and Poeltl on the court as Memphis doesnt have the shooters to take advantage and Jak could have stayed with JJJ since all he did was stand on the perimeter. Coach has no imagination and no balls anymore. Spurs were rolling until he pulled Dieng out. It's infuriating how Pop never seems to understand how to ride the right guys and always pulls them out when he shouldnt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'm not going to fault murray too much because he really performed so well on one end and his offense is still a work in progress. but demar convinced me that he is what his reputation is, a solid regular season guy who has a history of underperforming in the playoffs.

Thread Information