Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never for a moment thought this was a Pop schtick, that was Ice, maybe duncan2k5... (which really, who listens to duncan2k5).

There were posters here saying it was a prank when Kawhi looked like an 80 yr old going up a few stairs back in November. At the time, I said some fans were just in denial, but I really didn't see this like Robz did. He was the one who said he would be shut down for the season eventually. I had hope.
    What about the past game against Atlanta when Kawhi thought he was playing? Didn't a media member ask him about MLK day and he said he was looking forward to playing on MLK day. I didn't see the interview, but someone here mentioned it. That sounded more like Pop shutting him down than Kawhi shutting himself down.

The question I've been asking is who has been shutting him down for the majority of the time since the initial injury? Is it the Spurs or Kawhi himself? I thought it was the Spurs. I'd love to know if Kawhi in the one that is ruling himself out at the last minute all the time.

It's time the SA media get off their freaking asses and start asking serious questions about it. Fans need to not buy tickets either. The Spurs need to learn to be more forthright with their fans that are paying for the tickets to the games. I want to know if it's Kawhi that's being soft, or if it's the Spurs that have mishandled the diagnosis and/or rehabilitation.

Freaking season could very well unofficially be over now, and I'm not happy about it. He had all off-season to get this right. How the heck did he end up here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In last two weeks, this team couldn't beat Blazers w/o Lillard, Lakers, Hawks...

I wouldn't worry about top rivals, this team can't afford to lose against below .50 teams.

If the Spurs win the games they have to... they'll be fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe he has Benjamin Button syndrome, but in reverse, and super aggressive, so that he gets really really old year-to-year
    That's called, "Progeria".

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tank. Spurs are unwatchable without Kawhi except for the 10-15 minutes that Manu plays.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What about the past game against Atlanta when Kawhi thought he was playing? Didn't a media member ask him about MLK day and he said he was looking forward to playing on MLK day. I didn't see the interview, but someone here mentioned it. That sounded more like Pop shutting him down than Kawhi shutting himself down.

The question I've been asking is who has been shutting him down for the majority of the time since the initial injury? Is it the Spurs or Kawhi himself? I thought it was the Spurs. I'd love to know if Kawhi in the one that is ruling himself out at the last minute all the time.

It's time the SA media get off their freaking asses and start asking serious questions about it. Fans need to not buy tickets either. The Spurs need to learn to be more forthright with their fans that are paying for the tickets to the games. I want to know if it's Kawhi that's being soft, or if it's the Spurs that have mishandled the diagnosis and/or rehabilitation.

Freaking season could very well unofficially be over now, and I'm not happy about it. He had all off-season to get this right. How the heck did he end up here?
    I didn't see the interview.. but it doesn't go against what was said today. He warmed up b4 that game and he wasn't in any injury list. It would be the first time he would play without 2 days of rest in between ifrc... Instead, Kawhi didn't feel well and told Pop. He was sat and that was all there was basically. From there they decided to sit him out indefinitely bc his injury hasn't responded to their protocols as well as they hoped. My guess is he still can't play a game going all out without feeling the day after like someone hit him with a hammer in the thigh and it's irresponsible to continue to push him to return to a full time play schedule like we all want while he's not fully healed.

So here we are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't post it so feel free to call b.s. but I felt all along Kwa was gonna be out all year/huge portion of year.

what a beautiful year to tanked, not did the idiotic Mills and Pau etc and have tons of cap space for summer 2018.
    I'll bet even LeBron would have considered one year of Spurs for a chance to beat the Golden Uber gots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what sucks is having him in and out of the lineup really s with the team chemistry. there was such an obvious adjustment period his first couple of games back.
    In last three Kawhi's games it seemed that they started building chemistry...

In the game against Denver, Phoenix and NY, we could see these guys starting to work as a team...

Obviously Kawhi wasn't himself but at 60-70% still looked good and helped to win those games.

His 26.59 PER ranks 6th. His rebounds, steals and blocks per 36' this season were even better than last season.

It's sad. I really thought he was improving in the last games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In last three Kawhi's games it seemed that they started building chemistry...

In the game against Denver, Phoenix and NY, we could see these guys starting to work as a team...

Obviously Kawhi wasn't himself but at 60-70% still looked good and helped to win those games.

His 26.59 PER ranks 6th. His rebounds, steals and blocks per 36' this season were even better than last season.

It's sad. I really thought he was improving in the last games.
    It's a gut punch, to be sure. The one silver lining to the "injury management" stuff was that we could hope to see a healthy Kawhi on the other side of it.

Now we won't see him at all for weeks, if not months. And there is no guarantee he comes back to 100% this season.

Not to mention we have two other key contributors down again with Gasol and Gay.

This season is something else...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

"He's given it a shot. He's frustrated as . He wants to play badly. But if we're going to err, we're going to do it on the side of health and being wise."
    Leonard has yet to play on less than two days rest this season.
    He warmed up before Monday's loss in Atlanta hoping to finally clear that hurdle. He could not. "He didn't feel right," Popovich said. "So I told him to just sit."

The decision to shut Leonard down was a collaborative one between the coaching staff, medical team, and rehabilitation staff, with input from Leonard himself.

"I'm probably more conservative than most," Popovich said, "but the trainers, the rehab people, the doctors, the coaches, we all talked about this for a long time.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...y-12504542.php

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think they can get 50 this season

Also, if they face Denver/Utah/Clips in first round, I can see the Spurs beating them without Kawhi.

Some players will get better on court, others will get fully recovered like Danny Manu Parker...

Their margin for error is very minimal now but they have vets that know how deal with these situations...I still think they will be fine.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 01-17-2018 at 06:00 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, no. pop should force him to play 40 minutes today

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don’t think the Spurs can tank. I mean it’s possible (especially with another key injury and Kawhi possibly being out a long time) that they miss the playoffs, but I find it highly unlikely

They can’t truly tank. Not like they will get a top 10 pick. They are on pace for over 50 wins already without Kawhi the majority of the time and many of the losses have come with trying to integrate Kawhi back.

With knowing he may be out and the defense still being solid I don’t think they can tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, no. pop should force him to play 40 minutes today
    That's stupid in regular season.

But it would have been nice to see Pop playing a healthy Kawhi at least more than 35 mpg in 2016 OKC series. And Danny Green, too.

When you look at the stats and see how badly the Spurs were outplayed without him, you already know that Pop made a big mistake.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    many of the losses have come with trying to integrate Kawhi back
    Against Dallas and Utah I agree.
    But in last four losses vs Blazers Philly Lakers Hawks, he didn't even play. We have to admit most guys underperforming in those games, Kawhi had nothing to do with it.

With knowing he may be out and the defense still being solid I don’t think they can tank.
    They won't.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is by far the season I have watched least between the complete mismanagement of the offseason and all the injuries plus the inevitability of a Golden State repeat. I watched the team way more back in 96-97. This just feels like a lost season period for the NBA. The only teams I ever find worth watching (outside of the Spurs for homer reasons) are Golden State and Boston.
    Minny is pretty good now, you won't root for them to give the Rockettes/Dubs a run (if the Spurs are out of the playoffs by then)?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly strayed from commenting because it's not my style to play doctor, but had the feeling from the beginning that this was going to derail his and their season.

I don't care about his age, I care about the Spurs putting half their capspace in a player who hasn't been able to stay healthy. He 100% deserves the regular max.
    At least 90% of the cap has to be spent, they can't attract superstars and the few stars who might be available in the near future either make no sense, they'd be hard pressed to acquire or a combination thereof. So it can either go to a collection of role players who don't move the needle or they can hope that a top 3 player, who hasn't torn anything, can stay relatively healthy. I'm going to go out on a limb and say go with the latter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really don’t think the Spurs can tank. I mean it’s possible (especially with another key injury and Kawhi possibly being out a long time) that they miss the playoffs, but I find it highly unlikely

They can’t truly tank. Not like they will get a top 10 pick. They are on pace for over 50 wins already without Kawhi the majority of the time and many of the losses have come with trying to integrate Kawhi back.

Tanking is out of the question. Even if the Spurs did a complete 180 and started tanking today, they still have enough talent on the roster that they would end up winning another dozen games or so, which would only be good enough for a mid-to-late lottery pick. They've already won too many games to even be in that conversation.

Not only that, but you risk alienating Aldridge and Pau, who both want to play for contending teams. Whether you agree with their contracts or not, the Spurs need them...now, and for the immediate future. Trading either one right now would basically be hitting the reset button.

Just gotta accept it for what it is, which is a ty luck season, and hope to make the most of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Against Dallas and Utah I agree.
    But in last four losses vs Blazers Philly Lakers Hawks, he didn't even play. We have to admit most guys underperforming in those games, Kawhi had nothing to do with it.

They won't.
    Integrating Kawhi back is not just about the games he plays. It’s about they rhythm being off, lineups changed from night to night, etc.. Ripple effect. Especially with a high usage player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Kiwi supermax extension vs this injury conjecture has already started.
    With good reason. I am with Leetonidas on this one. Spurs need to put out some feelers but maintain some sort of deniability. I am very concerned about the prospect of signing any player to a supermax who has missed this much time to injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    sucks to see a talent like kawhi having to sit at the end of the bench in a suit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, IMO, speaking just contractually this is the ONLY shot SA had to get Kawhi cheaper than Super Max. Of course it would be better if he were just healthy and playing - it would be a no-brainer then.

But if this somehow temporarily depresses his value for SA to sign him below super max and he rebounds normally could wind up being a blessing.

Now, having said that, it’s still very unlikely that Kawhi does not get the SM, but this at least cracks the door open to the possibility he does not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mostly strayed from commenting because it's not my style to play doctor, but had the feeling from the beginning that this was going to derail his and their season.

At least 90% of the cap has to be spent, they can't attract superstars and the few stars who might be available in the near future either make no sense, they'd be hard pressed to acquire or a combination thereof. So it can either go to a collection of role players who don't move the needle or they can hope that a top 3 player, who hasn't torn anything, can stay relatively healthy. I'm going to go out on a limb and say go with the latter.
    Like I said earlier, there are teams out there desperate to change their fortunes that could be willing to give up a top pick in this upcoming draft and a nice prospect ala the Kings. There are 5-7 legit stars in the draft that would fit well with Murray's timeline (if there is one for him) which, combined with another good piece and the fact the Dubs won't be going away for another 3+ years, would be a fine consolation prize.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Way to cherry pick lol you didnt bold where Kawhi said he didn't feel right Monday

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like I said earlier, there are teams out there desperate to change their fortunes that could be willing to give up a top pick in this upcoming draft and a nice prospect ala the Kings. There are 5-7 legit stars in the draft that would fit well with Murray's timeline (if there is one for him) which, combined with another good piece and the fact the Dubs won't be going away for another 3+ years, would be a fine consolation prize.
    Odds are overwhelming that none of the players in this draft become someone good enough to be the best player on a championship team. Suffice it to say, that's the most difficult and important piece to attain, especially so for a non destination city. Even if the pick becomes an All-Star, the other piece a starter and Murray one as well, that team has no chance of contending for a championship. Put the right piece(s) around this one and it does.

Thread Information