College: Maryland

wiki

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want Gist on the roster bad.

2 year minimum salary deal.

Doesn't matter if he ends up a bust, what's he gonna do, play 20+ minutes in a key playoff game and grab 1 rebound with 0 points? Bonner's proven that if he does that he might make himself a rich man.

3 stars and a sun
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can he opt out of his contract in Italy?

He just might be the Spurs answer against athletic, face-up bigs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta bring him over. At worst he's an athlete who can bring added dimension's to the team's attack. He looked good in summer league and his stats in Europe look somewhat promising. If the Spurs don't bring him over, there better be a good reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    look at him. really, just look at him. how could that not be a more effective NBA player than Boner?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    look at him. really, just look at him. how could that not be a more effective NBA player than Boner?
    if he tells you to touch it, would you touch it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say 90% chance Gist never amount to anything. Late second rounders rarely do an while he looked good in summer league, he could still very well be without a position. But I'm ready to take that chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say 90% chance Gist never amount to anything. Late second rounders rarely do an while he looked good in summer league, he could still very well be without a position. But I'm ready to take that chance.
    100% boner amounted to nothing. i dont see how this guy could not be an improvement over what we have now. he would literally have to just stand thre, or maybe throw the ball into the stands every time he touched it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll be interesting to see how he's developed when Summer League rolls around. I expect him to be on the roster next year, unless we draft a more ready combo-forward type player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gotta bring him over. At worst he's an athlete who can bring added dimension's to the team's attack. He looked good in summer league and his stats in Europe look somewhat promising. If the Spurs don't bring him over, there better be a good reason.
    Agree, this is the most obvious low-cost, team-controlled, no-brainer move for this summer. Next year we have to take 2nd rounders like Gist, Hairston, Williams, and the 37th pick and do like Boston has done with Davis, Powe, Pruitt, and Walker. Throw them against the wall and see what sticks. If you get one reliable rotation player, its good. Two or more would be great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, this is the most obvious low-cost, team-controlled, no-brainer move for this summer. Next year we have to take 2nd rounders like Gist, Hairston, Williams, and the 37th pick and do like Boston has done with Davis, Powe, Pruitt, and Walker. Throw them against the wall and see what sticks. If you get one reliable rotation player, its good. Two or more would be great.
    +1 I don't see what other choice we have at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agree, this is the most obvious low-cost, team-controlled, no-brainer move for this summer. Next year we have to take 2nd rounders like gist, hairston, williams, and the 37th pick and do like boston has done with davis, powe, pruitt, and walker. Throw them against the wall and see what sticks. If you get one reliable rotation player, its good. Two or more would be great.
    +2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +3 I think Hairston is almost a give though. so I'd put Ian in that list, even though he was 1st round.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    +4

He has to be brought over for the summer league at least to see if there is improvement or not. He's got the build and energy we need.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mel made the best point here..

we better hope at least 1-2 of Gist, Hairston, and Williams can look good for Pop, because that would be our best option..it would come cheap, which would give us more flexibility for other moves..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big question with Gist is what spot will he play.
    He played PF in college but he is likely too short and light to defend most of the NBA PFs.
    His body si more suited for teh SF spot but does he have the shills to play on the perimeter ?

One more time... xtremesteven33's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gist could be another Ariza if we took time to help develop his game. Ariza barely got his 3 pt shot going.

It just takes time and I dont think Pop wants to invest his time in developing talent....

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't know why everyone thinks gist will be a 3. he has NEVER played SF. i don't know what position he played in italy but i'm guessing he's considered tall over there so they would at least put him at power forward. he's also gained 15 pounds. he wouldn't do that if he's anticipating playing at the 3. he was a center in college and a PF during summer league. is it because he's 6'8 so everyone starts fantasizing him as a long 3? there are plenty of solid undersized power forwards in the nba. carl landry (6'7), leon powe (6'8), paul millsap (6'8), mike beasley (6'8), haslem (6'8). he just needs to bring high energy off the bench.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how is his game? his body and style seems like a Hakim Warrick type..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hear that there is a drink in Italy named after him called Il sangue di vita. They use real Gist blood and it improves your health and helps you get women. No ice is needed since icewater runs through his veins.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't know why everyone thinks gist will be a 3. he has NEVER played SF. i don't know what position he played in italy but i'm guessing he's considered tall over there so they would at least put him at power forward. he's also gained 15 pounds. he wouldn't do that if he's anticipating playing at the 3. he was a center in college and a PF during summer league. is it because he's 6'8 so everyone starts fantasizing him as a long 3? there are plenty of solid undersized power forwards in the nba. carl landry (6'7), leon powe (6'8), paul millsap (6'8), mike beasley (6'8), haslem (6'8). he just needs to bring high energy off the bench.
    He has something close to a three point shot and has the athleticism to guard the perimeter. That's why.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring him to Summer League and see what he can do

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has something close to a three point shot and has the athleticism to guard the perimeter. That's why.
    beasley has a great outside shot and a nba 3pt range. he also has speed and athleticism and is about the same size as gist (6'8, 235 pounds). yet he's still a PF.

gist's lateral quickness is good but i doubt he can hold up against the quicker SFs in the NBA. he can probably guard the slower ones at best. again, he's gained about 15 pounds. unless he's lebron james, gaining weight usually makes a player slower. he's already anticipating playing 4 or 5 spot in the NBA. his skills in rebounding and shot blocking makes him best suited for playing the PF/C. the ability to stretch the floor with his jumpshots are a bonus.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll see. I haven't seen him play enough to make that call. He still looks skinny as in that picture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if he'll really stick in the league, but I'd think he'd be an athletic 4 who sometimes slides to the 3 if the team were to go with a big lineup.

Thread Information