Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    From time to time i am reading/hearing about rumours of Trades were Poeltl is involved. Considering that he is the best defender on the Team, and other Teams are reluctant to attack the Paint when he is on the court, i kind of asking myself, which kind of Player/s would legitimize trading away Poeltl. I did not include Picks, cause my question is more related on what would help the spurs right away.

Also important to note is, that he has not gotten an Extension and the way he plays, i believe he could get around 7-10 Mil per Contract, as he still has upside. Him learning a short distance shot and Free Throws would already improve his value much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From time to time i am reading/hearing about rumours of Trades were Poeltl is involved. Considering that he is the best defender on the Team, and other Teams are reluctant to attack the Paint when he is on the court, i kind of asking myself, which kind of Player/s would legitimize trading away Poeltl. I did not include Picks, cause my question is more related on what would help the spurs right away.

Also important to note is, that he has not gotten an Extension and the way he plays, i believe he could get around 7-10 Mil per Contract, as he still has upside. Him learning a short distance shot and Free Throws would already improve his value much.
    What you think, and what Cs have been paid in the past has little to nothing to do with what Poeltl will make on his next deal. It's all about what the market will bear. There has probably never been a softer buyers market for Cs than right now. No one thinks they really need a big guy like Poeltl. They can just move some stretch 4 to the center spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs will let Poeltl find is own price. But I'd expect a 8m p/y would be his number.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way. I'd rather trade Aldridge and then slightly overpay Poetl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl's qualifying offer will be just over $5 million. I expect the Spurs to make that offer. What happens next is up to Poeltl. He could decline the q.o. and test the market.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could we strt by getting links to any of these rumors.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The only thing I've noticed is this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchp...ob-poeltl/amp/

The Hawks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks. At least that's more tangible than a Reddit rumor.

The Hawks will have one of the two worst records in the league this year. They're eyeballing a better C for the future, and Poeltl makes sense - even more sense in the East, IMO. If the Spurs aren't going to pay him, they absolutely should get some value. But shipping him out now probably puts the final nail in this season. So it would be a decision to start looking toward next year.

I mentioned in another thread that if, IF, the Spurs were ready to somewhat blow it up, trading LMA to Atlanta for Chandler Parson's dead contract could be the nucleus of a deal. But I also said that it would probably have to include a couple of other players to make it attractive enough for Atlanta. Poeltl is a good place to start.

LMA and Poeltl to Atlanta in exchange for cap space (Chandler), a pick, and filler to balance. Its doable, and it makes sense for both teams. But only if the Spurs are ready throw in the towel.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're an absolute idiot if you think you have to give a slightly above average center an extension.

All of basketball intelligentsia,

From analysts to beat writers,

Literally everyone...

...knows that you can find value easily at the center position. Guys will be available. You don't need to waste time locking down a center longterm unless he's a franchise type player. PERIOD.

I mean, I know you have a hard-on for Poeltl, OP...

But, no, just no. No ing extensions for average or slightly above average centers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But, to answer your question, I'd trade Poeltl for a legit 4, 3 and D SF/SG, or a legit ballhandler/playmaker at the PG position.

Or anyone who does more than just sit in the paint. Again, those guys are everywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way. I'd rather trade Aldridge and then slightly overpay Poetl.
    Exactly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like Poeltl, long term. PATFO would be crazy to trade him, so who knows...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're an absolute idiot if you think you have to give a slightly above average center an extension.
    Depends on the price. Which you didn't mention. Four years at $100 million would be absurd in this era. Three years at, oh, $21 to $24 million would be worth a more serious look.

Contract price matters.

...knows that you can find value easily at the center position. ...
    Not that easily. You won't get good results by just grabbing any waiver, or any G Leaguer, and penciling him in.

A player who has shown specific abilities at the NBA level - passing, running the p&r, blocking shots - is still a more valuable individual, compared to somebody who's just a tall guy walking down the street.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Depends on the price. Which you didn't mention. Four years at $100 million would be absurd in this era. Three years at, oh, $21 to $24 million would be worth a more serious look.

Contract price matters.

Not that easily. You won't get good results by just grabbing any waiver, or any G Leaguer, and penciling him in.

A player who has shown specific abilities at the NBA level - passing, running the p&r, blocking shots - is still a more valuable individual, compared to somebody who's just a tall guy walking down the street.
    That's not what I mean though. Look at Richaun Holmes, for example. 3rd string journeyman and now a big piece and his signing was just an afterthought. He's hurt now, but he's just one example of many.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard it here...so it's a rumor.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not what I mean though. Look at Richaun Holmes, for example. ...

But Holmes is not cheaper than Poeltl. His current contract is more, in fact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Holmes is not cheaper than Poeltl. His current contract is more, in fact.
    He was an example of finding value. A year ago, he was an afterthought. No doubt there will be more like him available. I wouldn't commit to Poeltl knowing you can find someone as good or better at rougly the same price or cheaper.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is a fine role player, even in today's rules. If there was a slight shift in rules in favour of bugs, he'll be worth a long term option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was an example of finding value. A year ago, he was an afterthought. No doubt there will be more like him available. I wouldn't commit to Poeltl knowing you can find someone as good or better at rougly the same price or cheaper.
    Ahem. I just pointed out, Holmes is not cheaper.

It would be senseless to let Poeltl go, if you'll have to pay more to replace him. Again, price matters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahem. I just pointed out, Holmes is not cheaper.

It would be senseless to let Poeltl go, if you'll have to pay more to replace him. Again, price matters.
    You think Poeltl won't get more? Let someone else overpay him when you can find value later. The center position isn't the position that you want to invest long term deals in. Pretty simple.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop wins a game by playing Gay at Center and immediately wants to trade Poeltl

Spurs don't have a back up C, so I wouldn't do it. Depends on what you can back though. PATFO would probably give up a valuable bench piece if they get back a starter. Starting line up is the issue

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think Poeltl won't get more? Let someone else overpay him when you can find value later. The center position isn't the position that you want to invest long term deals in. Pretty simple.
    Why scrounge for a new center every year - who may or may not work out from one year to the next - when you can have continuity with a known quan y?

You speak of "overpay" but again you don't mention a number. I don't think anybody is advocating overpaying (except Pop with his pets.)

What do you think Poeltl is worth, so as not to overpay him? As mentioned, his q.o. is $5 mil.

I'll also mention that if finding value were such a sure thing, Carroll would be playing 24 min/gm. Center position, or any other position, it isn't that easy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why scrounge for a new center every year - who may or may not work out from one year to the next - when you can have continuity with a known quan y?

You speak of "overpay" but again you don't mention a number. I don't think anybody is advocating overpaying (except Pop with his pets.)

What do you think Poeltl is worth, so as not to overpay him? As mentioned, his q.o. is $5 mil.

I'll also mention that if finding value were such a sure thing, Carroll would be playing 24 min/gm. Center position, or any other position, it isn't that easy.
    Anything more than that QO would be too much. Poeltl is essentially a backup center. I'd rather take my chances because, yes, it has been easy these days for most teams to find guys to fill that spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Be nice if spurs unleashed him or if he started shooting 3's but lma is still here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop wins a game by playing Gay at Center and immediately wants to trade Poeltl

Spurs don't have a back up C, so I wouldn't do it. Depends on what you can back though. PATFO would probably give up a valuable bench piece if they get back a starter. Starting line up is the issue

The article JeffDuncan linked is the only "rumor" I've seen about trading Poeltl. And even it only mentions that Atlanta was inquiring about him "earlier in the season". I didn't see anything about the Spurs looking to get rid of Poeltl, or any recent discussions.

Anything more than that QO would be too much. Poeltl is essentially a backup center. I'd rather take my chances because, yes, it has been easy these days for most teams to find guys to fill that spot.

I think you underestimate him. Most NBA C's take a few years to show us who they are going to be. Poeltl's recent advance is pretty typical. He's been an absolute beast in the paint - to the point that opposing teams start to avoid going at him. That's valuable. I think he's worth keeping.

Thread Information