Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This combines both the fantastic play of the deserved winner combined with the farce level (where applicable) to rigged recipient.

Deserved Winner / Rigged recipient

2015 LeBron / Iggy
    2017 Lebron Triple Double with D / Cupcake Durant
    2010 MVPau / Kirby Bryant
    2007 Tim Duncan / Slim Porker
    2006* Tim Duncan / Dwayne Wade *Dirks a ski gifted Final appearance for West
    2002 Vlade Divac / Snaq Oneal - Bavetta

Who you got?

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ooohhh it's the Laundry Krew.

My Team
    Denver Nuggets
    Post Count
    06 was supposed to go to a that got owned by desagna diop? gs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2013: Duncan (thx Manu)
    2014: Duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, we are just going to pretend like 2005 didn't happen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ginobliiiiiiii

Also Duncan in 2007

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Originally Posted by DAF86 So, we are just going to pretend like 2005 didn't happen?

Ginobliiiiiiii

Also Duncan in 2007
    If you want to vote for GNob in 2005, so be it.
    But the GAP between play was not that large between Duncan and he.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have been co-MVPs, imho.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    duncan was not his best in 05. Horry saved his ass, but he deserved it in 07. Mike Brown just decided never to guard Parker.

Kori's nightmare SpurOutofTownFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have been co-MVPs, imho.
    In 2005, this is what should have happened but Manu was above everyone else for a bit. They just didn't want to do it.

In 2007, TP had no opposition but it was mostly Duncan who got that one

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Delete your account Fabbs. You're not even trying anymore. Disappointing

36/7/7
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Tony Parker deserved the MVP, tbh

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Boobie Gibson deserved the MVP, tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This combines both the fantastic play of the deserved winner combined with the farce level (where applicable) to rigged recipient.

Deserved Winner / Rigged recipient

2015 LeBron / Iggy
    2017 Lebron Triple Double with D / Cupcake Durant
    2010 MVPau / Kirby Bryant
    2007 Tim Duncan / Slim Porker
    2006* Tim Duncan / Dwayne Wade *Dirks a ski gifted Final appearance for West
    2002 Vlade Divac / Snaq Oneal - Bavetta

Who you got?
    whay a gy premise wgaf?! get over it just another ty media award

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I'm like the insect that's constantly getting attracted to the light and Fabbs' threads are the light. I know what the outcome will be, I know brain cells will be lost, and I'll be kicking myself after yet I just can't stay away

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And here comes Argentina over the top rope with the Manu billboard!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey look, is the dumb mother er.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1981 Cornbread Maxwell / Larry Bird.

Maxwell got a bunch of layups on plays that Bird (and Archibald) generated to have a much higher FG percentage. Maxwell also scored on a lot of clean-up plays. I'm being a bit hyperbolic here; but he was basically Tristan Thompson to Lebron James.

This was not the regulars season MVP level Bird yet. But it was pretty clear that he was the most valuable player on the team (He outscored Maxwell 67-24 in the opening two games of ECF against the very physical Sixers; 120-85 in the five games that followed). To this end, Bird played 30 more minutes in the series than Maxwell.

Bird 15.5 pts 15.3 reb 7.0 asts 2.3 stls 0.5 blks
    Maxwell 17.7 pts 9.5 reb 2.8 asts 0.2 stls 1.0 blks

Bird was a two-way player. He literally had 14 stls to Maxwell's 1. The last two guys on the Celtics bench doubled Maxwell's steals in 16 minutes of play compared to 227 minutes.

Now, I'm not saying Maxwell was not valuable. The C's may not have won that series without him. Though the C's had a very green Kevin McHale who hardly played in the wings; so, there is that. But he was not even more important than Tiny Archibald or Robert Parish for that matter. What he had going for him though was an eye popping FG percentage predicated on clean-up plays and being spoonfed at the rim. He did his job. He did some playmaking as well. But anyone watching that series knew that he was not the MVP.

This was basically the last series that was broadcast on tape delay I think. I don't think people really cared that much. So, if this had been the case in a more highly scrutinized series down the road I think there is no way CM would have won the MVP. And I love Maxwell, but I always get a kick out of it when he starts to brag about it as if he was such a dominant force.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. I'd have to dig up the post I made in another thread; but Manu definitely outplayed Tim in that series. He definitely outplayed him in the wins and in the big moments. Someone made the point that the NBA was not going to award him that MVP after he had embarrassed the league in the 2004 Olympics.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2015 and 2017 Lebron has a case; but it's too strong to say that a losing player was ripped off. Isn't the point of it all to win? it, this caused me to look-up the 1969 NBA Finals and see if Jerry West really deserved the MVP Award in a losing effort. And by if he didn't and the league wasn't just giving him a consolation prize for losing to the Celtics for like the 8th ing straight time!

So, add this to this to the list.

West/Havilcek

West 37.9 pts, 4.7 rebs, 7.4 asts in a losing effort.
    Havilcek 28.3 pts, 11.0 rebs, 4.0 asts in a winning effort; winning Game 7 on the Laker's court no less.

And in that Game 7, Havilcek shot a very proficient 11-19 to the chucker West's 14-29. And yes the ball hawk West had more stats; but Hav stayed within the framework of the team and got the win. It's a bit like the Westbrook/Harden vs. Kawhi scenario.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Earvin Johnson / Larry Bird

Now, this is a tongue n' cheek post. It just so happens that nobody was especially worthy of FMVP this year. Look at Earvin's Game 5. He had 10 pts, 5 turnovers and 4 assists as the Sixers thrashed his team in 33. Was he so motivated to then lead his team to a championship victory in Game 6, which his team won? Well, if you call taking 3 shots motivated. He did have 13 assists and 13 rebounds as his team shot .540. So, he did a good job of game management while Dr. J and Toney couldn't quite get it done with the hero balling 59 pts (though, if I recall correctly, there was some BS calls that went against them.)

In the end, no Laker shined so much and it was a no brainer for a league that had a Magic Vs. Bird marketing campaign in full swing to award him the FMVP. And maybe Earvin did even technically deserved it. Though the Sixers focused on the Lakers real potent weapons like Wilkes, Nixon and Kareem and sagged off of Earvin.

But the Lakers real MVP? Larry Bird 18-14-7-2-1 while taking the Sixers to seven games and leaving them battered and bruised for the Lakers who had taken their traditional 80's cakewalk to the Finals.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Earvin Johnson / Lou Alcindor

If you need any evidence that the NBA was desperate to push new blood in an effort to revitalize a forgotten league, look no further than these finals. Yes, we all know about the rookie Earvin's big close-out game effort in Game 6 without the "injured" Lou. But what is not told is that Lou was the team's leading scorer in four of the five games, including all three Laker victories. Earvin's only job really was to dribble the ball up the court and find Lou for a sickly sweet sky hook. Yea, those 11.2 asts aren't as impressive when one realizes it was mostly just a matter of throwing the ball to Lou in the post. But just see the side by side stats for the series.

Earvin Johnson 21.5 pts, 11.2 asts, 8.5 rebs, 2.7 stl, 0.3 blks
    Lou Alcindor 33.4 pts, 13.6 rebs, 3.2 asts, 0.6 stls, 4.6 blks

And although Lou is not all too well known for his defensive prowess, it's pretty clear that he was able to do just enough against a formidable front line while racking up 4.6 blks. But we do see those numbers are somewhat superficial. When the Sixers attained Moses Malone the next season, the Sixers would sweep the Lakers in the Finals; and Moses would boot Lou's over-rated ass out of the playoffs for the second time in three seasons (see 1981).

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Thread Information