Page 138 of 193 FirstFirst ... 3888128134135136137138139140141142148188 ... LastLast
Results 3,426 to 3,450 of 4810
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    When Sams is in the zone theres none better. When he is not in the zone he is average.
    tbh it seems sam operates infinitely better running spread concepts

not sure why herman doesn't just convert to the spread and let him play like vince did. maybe if he didn't wait until the 4th every game, they would actually blow some teams out or not have to go down to the wire so much

Good for the young men. They need a positive jolt and Ossai is turning into the leader needed. Let the results on the field be your message

LOVE it. come with a chip on your shoulder.

LOVE it. come with a chip on your shoulder.

no subs ute for hard work and good at ude!!!

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    from an outsider's point of view, i think this team is pretty decent. they're just a few plays away from being unbeaten. they're not a top tier team but better than some on this board are giving them credit for being. i just can't see how herman would be fired if this team either goes undefeated or only loses one more game the rest of the season.

Believe.
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    1 play away from 5-1 and a stop away from 6-0. Also really close to beinbg 3-3

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    1 play away from 5-1 and a stop away from 6-0. Also really close to beinbg 3-3
    well, that's kind of what college football is. the other things to look at are improvement. does this team seem better today than it was at the start of the season?

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count

not sure why herman doesn't just convert to the spread and let him play like vince did. maybe if he didn't wait until the 4th every game, they would actually blow some teams out or not have to go down to the wire so much
    The short answer is that if we used it all game they'd likely counter it sooner. I don't think the OL or Sams body can handle running that offense an entire game.

Post Count
    Only thing I saw improved was the D-Line but that was mostly because Spencer can't pass for . Really easy to unleash the hounds when the opposing QB is turnover prone and just bad at throwing. Other improvement was Jake Smith in the slot. His route on the UT 4th down TD end of regulation was clutch. He may become the Shipley we have needed if he continues to build chemistry with Sam on slot audibles. Which is huge bc Sam's getting his ass kicked out there.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    well, that's kind of what college football is. the other things to look at are improvement. does this team seem better today than it was at the start of the season?
    After the UTEP game, a game in which we finally blew a team out of the water, yeah.
    We still have deep problems. Ossai and Overshown willing to switch positions and being great athletes helped tremendously last game.
    But our middle three on the OL are really awful. Our secondary is confused. And our DL in the middle is oh so slow getting off blocks.
    I could continue... but we are not a good team.

ATM on the other hand is showing the SEC ground and pound. And their DL is really helping out a very mediocre secondary.
    Pretty damn impressive when Mond is not forced into tough passing situations. Time will tell because as its possible the SEC is weak minus Alabama and maybe Georgia. We will see. At this point Alabama is so far ahead it ridiculous.

Post Count
    After the UTEP game, a game in which we finally blew a team out of the water, yeah.
    We still have deep problems. Ossai and Overshown willing to switch positions and being great athletes helped tremendously last game.
    But our middle three on the OL are really awful. Our secondary is confused. And our DL in the middle is oh so slow getting off blocks.

ATM on the other hand is showing the SEC ground and pound. And their DL is really helping out a very mediocre secondary.
    Pretty damn impressive when Mond is not forced into tough passing situations. Time will tell because as its possible the SEC is weak minus Alabama and maybe Georgia. We will see. At this point Alabama is so far ahead it ridiculous.
    They will likely run the table and have their best chance to actually do anything in the Jimbo era. Their schedule is laughably easy once Bama game was done.

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count

college football has settled into a boring pattern of 'bama, clemson and osu with an occasional upstart or great season for the once traditional powers (LSU and OU being the most recent examples).

My Team
    Texas A&M Aggies
    Post Count
    They will likely run the table and have their best chance to actually do anything in the Jimbo era. Their schedule is laughably easy once Bama game was done.
    the younger players are delivering especially along the O and D lines and also at the skill positions. promising, but i know a&m enough to know that they are just as likely to turn around and lay an egg against SC so i just take it one game at a time.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    What is TFB saying about Meyer? There’s an update from six hours ago but can’t read.

Only thing I saw improved was the D-Line but that was mostly because Spencer can't pass for . Really easy to unleash the hounds when the opposing QB is turnover prone and just bad at throwing. Other improvement was Jake Smith in the slot. His route on the UT 4th down TD end of regulation was clutch. He may become the Shipley we have needed if he continues to build chemistry with Sam on slot audibles. Which is huge bc Sam's getting his ass kicked out there.
    Glad Spencer is apoorpasser orOk. St. would have had 800 yds instead 400.

Post Count
    Glad Spencer is apoorpasser orOk. St. would have had 800 yds instead 400.
    You prob aren't wrong.
    Tylan Wallace was crazy open on so many Routes.

You prob aren't wrong.
    Tylan Wallace was crazy open on so many Routes.
    And yet we consistently have our dbs 7-15 yards off the receiver. They need to be bumping and running. Its the most frustrating thing for a receiver.

Also would give more time to our drive to get to the qb.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Texas offers 2023 DB Malik Muhammad (South Oak Cliff)

https://247sports.com/Player/Malik-Muhammad-46086675/

https://www.hudl.com/profile/13004551/Malik-Muhammad

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

The power spread is a staple of Herman - it is what he knows and what he brings to the table. If he were able to seamlessly go from power to full spread, he would have kept Shane as the QB for two years since had better QB skill set. Because he insisted on P-S and Shane had to conform to it, Sam was the obvious choice. I dont think Herman is going to change to a full spread as the base offense with a less accurate QB.

jmo
    Last edited by soldierhorn; 11-03-2020 at 09:07 AM.

And yet we consistently have our dbs 7-15 yards off the receiver. They need to be bumping and running. Its the most frustrating thing for a receiver.
    agree... If you have speedsters like Jamison, he should be able to disrupt the receivers route and stay with him. Watson was another speed guy and that is what made his transfer so annoying.

Post Count

Personally I can't on the OSU defensive game plan, for better or worse they did the same thing they did last year. Last year Gundy was too chicken to open it up with Sanders, despite UT having a horrible horrible pass coverage record going into the game. This year Gundy tried to open it up but they kept turnign it over, largely due to UT pressure. So I can't hate.
    OSU is a better team with their standard moderately athletic white QB than a runner type IMO.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Bobby Burton 24/7

Tom Herman is on thin ice. The college football world knows it, his own coaching staff is aware of it, as are his players, and lots of recruits.

The team’s improbable victory in Stillwater gives Herman a glimmer of hope that he can still get to the Big 12 championship game if the Horns win out.

I don’t think it will happen. But stranger things have occurred.

There is no guarantee that Tom Herman will be fired. However, I can guarantee that he has no margin for error in the season’s final two months. Period.

Over the first six games, what has been the biggest issue for the Horns?

I believe it has been the inconsistent play of the offense.

There have been large parts of every game, everyone of them except UTEP, where the offense just goes cold.

I think a major part of that is the receiver group. They are just not a good group overall..

They are not getting open often enough, especially on the outside, and the injuries to Jordan Whittington and Jake Smith have been a factor. Only Whittington, Smith and Josh Moore seem to have the ability to regularly beat defenders one on one. Brennan Eagles has been effective at times but also inconsistent in that regard. All other receivers have to be schemed open, which is easier said than done.

The same can be said for tight end. Cade Brewer must be schemed open. Jared Wiley has actually gotten himself open a few times but he’s not exactly a crisp route runner yet.

Then we have the play of Sam Ehlinger.

Dissecting Ehlinger is tough because he brings so many different aspects to the table.

He’s a good, strong runner, but not an explosive one.

He’s an adequate thrower, but still has issues waiting too long to throw deep balls or even getting his eyes to go to his next receiver quickly enough. He has a relatively long release which impacts the passing game.

For Texas to improve the remainder of the season, I think Ehlinger’s mindset must change somewhat and I think Texas needs to find a way to get its best receivers on the field more frequently together. Texas coaches need to put Moore, Whittington and Smith into complementary roles, like they did by moving Moore to the slot in overtime against OSU.

As for Ehlinger’s mindset, he has to start thinking less about the deep ball and more about moving the chains. Sure, OSU has a good defense, but Texas went 2 of 15 on third downs on Saturday. The majority of those were third-and-six or longer. Ehlinger has to start taking more of what a defense might give him instead of looking for chunk plays in early downs. Likewise, the Texas coaching staff needs to emphasize that.

Last but not least, the dumb penalties must end. Derek Kerstetter can’t plow into people after the whistle for 15 yards or butt snap a third and short. Junior Angilau must continue to improve as a pass blocker. Denzel Okafor and Christian Jones must play better together on the right side.

I think Texas can get better on offense. The tools are there. They just have to be smarter. It’ll require a slight change in mindset and deploying those tools in a smarter way.

Unfortunately, the chances are that not much of this will happen this season. Rarely does it suddenly click seven games into the year.

So despite the tremendous guts Ehlinger shows every week, the Horns are likely to continue to be inconsistent on offense and the head coach’s tenure hangs in the balance.

Link: https://247sports.com/college/texas/...133648/?page=1

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count

Thread Information