Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes we are going to have to agree to disagree.

1. You pretty much moved the goal post when I proved Giannis plays back to basket by basically saying "Well he couldn't do this during the 90's because the guys were bigger back then." Why wouldn't Giannis be able to go through Ostertag,Hakeem,Mutumbo,Mourning,Ewing,Smits,Duckw orth. They are all in the same weight class as Andre Drummond and he easily went through Drummond a bunch of times. I have seen Giannis also go through Embiid who is listed at 280. The only guy I don't see him being able to go through is Shaq. I don't get why you listed Smits. Smits was slow as . Giannis could just go by him easily on every possession. I grew up in NC watching the Hornets and saw both Mourning and LJ have their way with Oakley in the paint. Oakley was just a dirty thug that would give hard fouls but both of those guys took turns abusing him. Giannis is bigger than LJ and is the same size as ZO. ZO was able to post up and bang in the paint I don't see why Giannis wouldn't be able to do it in the 90's. The only case you have with the Davis bros and Oakley is that they could have injured Giannis with their dirty flagrant fouls but he would've adjusted and gave it back to them since he's a pretty big guy.

2. Dave couldn't post up it had nothing to with having ty teammates. He was never a post up player like Hakeem,Duncan,Shaq where you could throw the ball on the block for an iso play.

3. The problem with doubling Giannis is that now he has become a better playmaker. He's good at finding the open man. I don't think there is a team that is currently assembled to defend Giannis right now. You need at least one super athletic big that can stay in front of him along with a strong rim protector in the paint waiting for him much like Toronto had with Ibaka-Gasol-Siakam in '19. With that being said the Bucks can still lose next year to the Nets simply because they don't have the offensive firepower to contend with them when they are healthy. You could have a series where Giannis is averaging 30-40 against the nets but his team still loses.
    History will say that Giannis knew how to find the open man simply because the stat book will show that assists were obtained. Giannis is surrounded by way better shooters than Dave ever had, it isn’t even close. The context is needed because it’s what is driving this comparison. Again, different eras…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes we are going to have to agree to disagree.

1. You pretty much moved the goal post when I proved Giannis plays back to basket by basically saying "Well he couldn't do this during the 90's because the guys were bigger back then." Why wouldn't Giannis be able to go through Ostertag,Hakeem,Mutumbo,Mourning,Ewing,Smits,Duckw orth. They are all in the same weight class as Andre Drummond and he easily went through Drummond a bunch of times. I have seen Giannis also go through Embiid who is listed at 280. The only guy I don't see him being able to go through is Shaq. I don't get why you listed Smits. Smits was slow as . Giannis could just go by him easily on every possession. I grew up in NC watching the Hornets and saw both Mourning and LJ have their way with Oakley in the paint. Oakley was just a dirty thug that would give hard fouls but both of those guys took turns abusing him. Giannis is bigger than LJ and is the same size as ZO. ZO was able to post up and bang in the paint I don't see why Giannis wouldn't be able to do it in the 90's. The only case you have with the Davis bros and Oakley is that they could have injured Giannis with their dirty flagrant fouls but he would've adjusted and gave it back to them since he's a pretty big guy.

2. Dave couldn't post up it had nothing to with having ty teammates. He was never a post up player like Hakeem,Duncan,Shaq where you could throw the ball on the block for an iso play.

3. The problem with doubling Giannis is that now he has become a better playmaker. He's good at finding the open man. I don't think there is a team that is currently assembled to defend Giannis right now. You need at least one super athletic big that can stay in front of him along with a strong rim protector in the paint waiting for him much like Toronto had with Ibaka-Gasol-Siakam in '19. With that being said the Bucks can still lose next year to the Nets simply because they don't have the offensive firepower to contend with them when they are healthy. You could have a series where Giannis is averaging 30-40 against the nets but his team still loses.
    I’m not moving the goal post at all. I said in today’s nba Dave would be able to post up some. Bc today’s nba is softer. I also think that Dave could power dribble through Ben Simmons rather easy. You mention Drummond who is a bench player who didn’t even start for the Lakers (until AD went down) and Embiid. But Giannis didn’t face Embiid and who gives a about Embiid when the dude is a walking injury. It would be stupid of Dave to post Embiid when he’s so much faster than him. Giannis has to do it bc he has no jumper and they can build that wall. D-Rob could ing post up Simmons or a Collins or Durant (who plays the 5 in their small ball line up and guarded Giannis)

Also Dave could post up. I saw him do it. He wasn’t the best at it and wasn’t like Kareem or Hakeem but to say he couldn’t do it is a lie. Dave had a hook shot posting up. YouTube his 1995 season (im too stupid to know how to post videos off an iPhone) and the first plays you see are of him posting up. He posted up all the ing time. He just did spin moves and finger rolls and hook shots instead of Tim Duncan line moves

I mentioned the teammates bc the key to beating the Spurs from 90-95 was just to double and triple team Robinson. I mean look what Golden St did to him they damn near sent the whole team on him. And it worked. Dude could only get up like 12-15 shots a game. But when you are surrounded by shooters like Giannis or Hakeem then double teaming doesn’t work as well. The only reason the wall works against Giannis is bc Middleton and company missed every time he passed it out.

But like i said Giannis is like Westbrook more than any other player. Get to the hole at all costs. the jumpers and just relentless as a player. Now he mixing in some Shaq by just pushing people around and it’s awesome to watch.

Thread Information