Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ultimate non-answer.
    Honestly, who really cares? He's not pushing any needles, one way or the other.

He's still a very athletic guy with some clutch genes and no NBA shot. I have no pain if he goes somewhere else, for the money.
    I would NOT pay a guy like Simmons for multiple years at 9-10 per.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gonna get very pissed if the Spurs overpay (and worst, if they overcommit, years wise, to) this glorifed journeyman.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, the Spurs SL team is rolling. A lot of spirit on the team among all members (vs Portland) and it looks real.
    Brah spirits are invisible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm gonna get very pissed if the Spurs overpay (and worst, if they overcommit, years wise, to) this glorifed journeyman.
    Me too. Let this man go, unless for a journeyman's contract. He's a nothing who had a moment against some bull situations, albeit in the playoffs.
    You know KD was laughing his gut off, watching tape of JSimms during the WCF as they were playing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder what offers he has received? I want him back.... and I think passed time is helping our chances of getting him back at a comfortable price. At the same time, I want him to get paid because he is that dude..... I'm conflicted.

Also, we really NEED him back. We have a bunch of small SG's who are one trick ponies. Simmons is not that. He has a unique skill set for our roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ultimate non-answer.
    Honestly, who really cares? He's not pushing any needles, one way or the other.

He's still a very athletic guy with some clutch genes and no NBA shot. I have no pain if he goes somewhere else, for the money.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ultimate non-answer.

Sometimes I don't think you guys have adjusted to the landscape of what players are getting paid these days. Players w/ Potential are making this and more all over the league. Simmons isn't a traditional 3rd year player, but there is obviously potential, talent, and a skill set there.

I mean, given the current market, what is the number you would be comfortable w/ the front office playing? Please keep in mind, the contracts players are demanding are not what they were a couple of years ago... by a long shot. Also, a 2-3 year deal is always a movable asset regardless of how the player performs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sometimes I don't think you guys have adjusted to the landscape of what players are getting paid these days. Players w/ Potential are making this and more all over the league. Simmons isn't a traditional 3rd year player, but there is obviously potential, talent, and a skill set there.

I mean, given the current market, what is the number you would be comfortable w/ the front office playing? Please keep in mind, the contracts players are demanding are not what they were a couple of years ago... by a long shot. Also, a 2-3 year deal is always a movable asset regardless of how the player performs.
    Guys like Korver and Teodosic got something like 6 millions per year and they are better than Simmons.

Simmons hasn't even got one full season with regular minutes and folks wanna throw 10 millions per year his way? that .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guys like Korver and Teodosic got something like 6 millions per year and they are better than Simmons.

Simmons hasn't even got one full season with regular minutes and folks wanna throw 10 millions per year his way? that .
    Yeah, well like in any business you pay for potential....... I'd take Simmons over current Korver right now though without any questions and potential aside.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

...Where is their defense? I KNOW Simmons can play defense. I KNOW Simmons can handle the ball. I KNOW he can be physical. Yet they are better? I would rather not pay him 9 mil but I think he might not worth it. I'd rather not let him go and then goes somewhere else and plays well for them.

I meant.. might be worth it. *

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if his camp is playing hardball or they really are just being patient. At this point, I'm starting to think the former. Really thought he'd have made a decision by now. Usually guys want to get the stuff out of the way and just focus on ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the landscape of the NBA, if Simmons improves just a bit over the next couple of years he will be a bargain at 9 Per. Honestly, try signing a free agent with any ability to contribute at 9mm per. The rare exceptions are veterans who are trying to join a winning team.

Look at this list. The players with any skill making under 9 are either A) on rookie contracts or B) Older players, sacrificing money,
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s/players.html

None of these players who are decent and relatively young have signed contracts in the past two offseasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, well like in any business you pay for potential....... I'd take Simmons over current Korver right now though without any questions and potential aside.
    Yeah well, I wouldn't. Simmons sucks, can't shoot, won't ever be able to shoot. He's supposed to be a playmaker but has almost as many turnovers as assists. He had two ing full years to win a definite rotation place over Kyle ing Anderson and he couldn't do it. He sucks, he's mediocre, he will give you 1 good game, 2 meh games and 3 awful ones. You don't pay 10 millions per year for that kind of production.

Folks wanna overpay this guy for a couple of meaningless playoffs games in which he wasn't even that good to begin with. There's a reason nobody wants to pay him and it is because he just isn't very good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah well, I wouldn't. Simmons sucks, can't shoot, won't ever be able to shoot. He's supposed to be a playmaker but has almost as many turnovers as assists. He had two ing full years to win a definite rotation place over Kyle ing Anderson and he couldn't do it. He sucks, he's mediocre, he will give you 1 good game, 2 meh games and 3 awful ones. You don't pay 10 millions per year for that kind of production.

Folks wanna overpay this guy for a couple of meaningless playoffs games in which he wasn't even that good to begin with. There's a reason nobody wants to pay him and it is because he just isn't good.
    Hopefully Manu will finally go rest in his coffin so Pop wont feel obligated to give him minutes...... Simmons was better than Manu last year

Time will tell.... I'm pretty confident we will get him back. How we decide on his success will likely differ though as you have one expectation of a 9mm per year player and I another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...Where is their defense? I KNOW Simmons can play defense. I KNOW Simmons can handle the ball. I KNOW he can be physical. Yet they are better? I would rather not pay him 9 mil but I think he might not worth it. I'd rather not let him go and then goes somewhere else and plays well for them.

I meant.. might be worth it. *
    Where's Simmons productivity? You wanna give 10 millions per year to a guy that had a PER of 9 last season. That's more than a million per PER pt. Seriously, think about it. Has anybody else ever pulled that off: getting paid so much for sucking that hard?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the landscape of the NBA, if Simmons improves just a bit over the next couple of years he will be a bargain at 9 Per. Honestly, try signing a free agent with any ability to contribute at 9mm per. The rare exceptions are veterans who are trying to join a winning team.

Look at this list. The players with any skill making under 9 are either A) on rookie contracts or B) Older players, sacrificing money,
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...s/players.html

None of these players who are decent and relatively young have signed contracts in the past two offseasons.
    That is only true for guys signed last year and a little bit this year. The salary cap rising by 34% last year skewed the market for 1 year with a final blow off in early Free agency this year. Salaries for role players didn't go up 34% last year. They went up in some cases 300%. Stupid GMs with an incredibly shortsighted vision rolled the dice. Now many teams are already bumping up against the luxury tax which is now much more punitive. Salaries are already starting to readjust. The Mozgovs of the world can thank the timing of their free agency more than a permanent shift of that magnitude. Simmons' potential isn't earning him a 10 million dollar offer sheet and the Spurs aren't going to bid against themselves at this point.
    Dedmon just got a 2year deal for 7million a year from one of the few teams with cap space left. And 7 footers have always been at a premium.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully Manu will finally go rest in his coffin so Pop wont feel obligated to give him minutes...... Simmons was better than Manu last year

Time will tell.... I'm pretty confident we will get him back. How we decide on his success will likely differ though as you have one expectation of a 9mm per year player and I another.
    Sure, that's why Simmons was fighting with Kyle Anderson and Bryn Forbes for minutes.

Simmons- PER: 9.9 ()-TS%: 50% ()-WS/48: .068- OBPM: -2.8 (yeah, that's negative two point eight )-DBPM:0.9-BPM: -1.9- VORP: 0.0. (just lol all around son)
    Manu- PER: 13.9 - TS%: 53% - WS/48: .110 - OBPM: 0.5 - DBPM: 1.4 - BPM: 1.3 - VORP: 1.9

There you have the numbers. There wasn't a single thing at which journeyman Simmons was better than 40 year old Manu last season. Now you can re-arrange your mistaken opinion or choose a less informed person to try and sell your lie, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure, that's why Simmons was fighting with Kyle Anderson and Bryn Forbes for minutes.

Simmons- PER: 9.9 ()-TS%: 50% ()-WS/48: .068- OBPM: -2.8 (yeah, that's negative two point eight )-DBPM:0.9-BPM: -1.9- VORP: 0.0. (just lol all around son)
    Manu- PER: 13.9 - TS%: 53% - WS/48: .110 - OBPM: 0.5 - DBPM: 1.4 - BPM: 1.3 - VORP: 1.9

There you have the numbers. There wasn't a single thing at which journeyman Simmons was better than 40 year old Manu last season. Now you can re-arrange your mistaken opinion or chose a less informed person to try and sell your lie, tbh.
    If you're going to do this, do it properly and include Anderson's #'s

Anderson - PER: 12.5 - TS%: 52.5% - WS/48: .127 - OBPM: -2.1 - DBPM: 3.7 - BPM: 1.6 - VORP: 0.9

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're going to do this, do it properly and include Anderson's #'s

Anderson - PER: 12.5 - TS%: 52.5% - WS/48: .127 - OBPM: -2.1 - DBPM: 3.7 - BPM: 1.6 - VORP: 0.9
    I just posted Manus because steeledl somewhy brought him into the discussion. He must believe that my problem with Simmons is related to Manu coming back or something, and not that I simply trully believe that Simmons is a mediocre player (and I'm being generous here because his numbers indicate that he's worst than mediocre) that under no cir stance should get paid 10 millions per year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Manu can make up his mind on retirement then the spurs can make some decisions re: Simmons, Forbes and another potential player they want. Manu is holding up the process. I think he is coming back and not just for one year but two. Simmons is probably gone and they have yet to re-sign Pau and another big man (Cory Jefferson?). Hopefully they keep Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA can't play center...lol @ the guy saying LA doesn't mind playing against draymond green...for one, if he starts at center, dray won't be guarding him...secondly, LA takes fadeaways over James harden....he isn't ready to bang with ANYONE, nevertheless centers

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Simmons but I think for the money, Dedmon would have been a better signing.

Apparently, PATFO doesn't care so much for Dedmon. I don't know, maybe his locker room demeanor didn't rub off well with some guys.

Also, I really don't want to get Lee back after we signed Lauvergne. We can't have two undersized centers in the team!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Simmons is a great player...it didnt help his game that he never knew when or if he would play game by game...NBA players are rhythm driven...not many players would be great under those cir stances... And he was one of the only ones that showed up when it mattered, plus shut down harden...he is definitely worth 9 mil...this isn't the 90s...get with the time.... Players are getting paid much more because teams are making much more...and Simmons is a load more valuable than korver at this point...KO ever can only do one thing great, AND he is older and a bad defender....Simmons even shot the 3 ball better than Danny green in the playoffs...so in not sure how ppl want green to stay and Simmons to leave...Danny green is living off his reputation from 5 years ago

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You probably wont hear anything from JSIMS till the very end of Free Agency memorandum. Its just what I have heard from local reports & outsourced reporting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if his camp is playing hardball or they really are just being patient. At this point, I'm starting to think the former. Really thought he'd have made a decision by now. Usually guys want to get the stuff out of the way and just focus on ball.
    Agreed. I think he and his agent were expecting a much bigger market for him, and now that it's obvious that isn't happening, they're holding out for what they can get.

He is losing suitors by the day, though. Lakers just threw their money at KCP. Atlanta paid Dedmon and doesn't seem to be in the market for another SG. That really only leaves Phoenix and Brooklyn as viable options unless something weird happens...so I hope Simms is ready to start losing a lot of games to get paid. That Sean Marks connection in BKY scares me though.

Thread Information