Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Count
    Here are mine

1. Roster size increased to 60, make all players eligible to play that day.

2. 60+ yd FGs worth 4 points...sure makes the decision to kick a FG or punt much more intriguing. Also, down 4 late, just get to the opponent 4 for a chance to tie. I think it would add a lot more fun to the game.

3. Move KOs back to 30 yd line. Will never happen, but I miss all the exciting returns.

4. Allow 2 challenges per half, as long as the team has at least 2 timeouts to cover.

5. QB driven league, so make starting QB contract only count either half or a quarter of the actual amount towards the cap, allowing more money for other key players.

6. Get rid of Thursday night football, except 1st game and 3 turkey day games. Player safety is supposed to be a priority, right?

7. Show doubleheader on both fox and cbs every week.

8. Finally, add a 7th team to each conference for playoffs. This gives only 1 seed a bye rightfully so. 3 wild card games per conference. Still gives us 4 divisional games, 2 championship games, and the SB. Two extra games means more wild and more fun, more late season hope for on the bubble teams and more chance for upsets during first round. It also means more money for NFL and more gambling.

What are some of your ideas?

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    If there’s a presnap penalty and it’s either false start or offsides... if any lineman points their finger to the other side, the finger pointer is penalized and that overrides the actual false start/offsides call

that finger pointing really grinds my gears for whatever reason

Veteran
    Post Count
    Cut the play clock in half and stop the game clock between snaps on every play. Speeds a slow game up and gives the fans more action for their buck.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    I agree with 6, 7, and 8 in the OP, but the rest are mostly dumb.

My Team
    Buffalo Bills
    Post Count
    No NFL fan genuinely cares about player safety. I agree with the kick-offs, back to the 30. Continue to protect the QB from low-hits, but do away with the launching and landing rules if the QB still has the ball. Roughing the QB and face-mask still apply, but bring back the incidental (5yds, no automatic 1st down) face-mask call. Continue to regulate the receiver-mugging at the LOS (a la 2003 Pats), but allow Ronnie Lott/Jack Tatum kill-shots if it's a catchable ball.

Illegal hands to face is also a very cheap first down, imo.

Do away with Thursday night games like mentioned in OP...not for player safety, but because the quality of football is terrible and the games are rarely compe ive.

Disagree about long FGs. If you can't get it in the endzone then 3 is all you get.
    Last edited by DeadlyDynasty; 09-02-2019 at 06:37 AM.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    I've never thought the pass interference rule where you put the ball at the spot of the foul was fair.

But I don't really like the college rule of 15 yards.

I might make it half the distance to the spot of the foul

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Get rid of holding. Like Madden said you could call it on every play.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Sure because who wouldn't want to see teams average 800 yards of offense every season

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    you'd just have linemen tackling each other every play. game would be a mess

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    you'd just have linemen tackling each other every play. game would be a mess
    Better than a phantom holding call on a great play. Just get rid of it, and let the best man win.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    No NFL fan genuinely cares about player safety.
    depends if its something unnecessary like late hits, etc. nobody wants to see star players on IR all season because some talentless goon took a cheap shot. but yes, the bull like a hand glancing off the qb's helmet 0.4 seconds after he threw the ball shouldn't be a 15 yard penalty. those roughing calls on clay matthews last year were terrible

I agree with the kick-offs, back to the 30.
    i'm good with this. keep the "wedge" illegal for all i care, but kickoffs are good for the game.

Continue to protect the QB from low-hits, but do away with the launching and landing rules if the QB still has the ball.
    TBH... the automatic penalties for "landing with your weight" are terrible. i do think there should be a judgment call. killshots on QB just for the sake of killshot that has nothing to do with ending the play should have subjective calls. nobody wants to see qb's get knocked out for multiple games on a hit that didnt matter. but its unfair when the fat s like cam and ben break tackles, and then when a defender tries to tackle harder next time, they get flagged

Roughing the QB and face-mask still apply, but bring back the incidental (5yds, no automatic 1st down) face-mask call.
    why would you want the 5 yard facemask back? as of now, they dont even flag the incidental ones anymore. they only call the 15 yard version if you grab/twist the facemask. having your hand glance off somebody's mask shouldnt be a penalty. i dno why you'd want the 5 yarder for those

Continue to regulate the receiver-mugging at the LOS (a la 2003 Pats), but allow Ronnie Lott/Jack Tatum kill-shots if it's a catchable ball.
    if the receiver is in the process of making a catch, they are fair game for anything barring a helmet to helmet hit imo

Illegal hands to face is also a very cheap first down, imo.
    yeah... but its a pretty unfair pass rush method by putting pressure on the guy's neck instead of beating his block. defenders should just be disciplined

Do away with Thursday night games like mentioned in OP...not for player safety, but because the quality of football is terrible and the games are rarely compe ive.
    agree, save for turkey day

Disagree about long FGs. If you can't get it in the endzone then 3 is all you get.
    yeah. and its kinda re ed to give an offense a chance for more points in situations where they advance the ball LESS. i mean, why should a team get bonus points for driving to the 45 yard line instead of getting to the 25? makes no sense

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Better than a phantom holding call on a great play. Just get rid of it, and let the best man win.
    To even it out, you'd have to allow CB to hold WR. Maybe just get rid of pass interference as well.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    it wouldnt even be football anymore if it was a free for all like that between linemen. the game would be unrecognizable and probably unwatchable tbh. blocking schemes, gap rushing schemes would all be thrown out the window. i get the sentiment behind it, but i dont think its even a consideration

phantom and seemingly arbitrary holds do suck. but refs to a pretty good job like 95% of the time. i dont think the average NFL game is ruined by holding calls to the point where we need to completely revamp the sport to work around it

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    To even it out, you'd have to allow CB to hold WR. Maybe just get rid of pass interference as well.
    Not at all. You could still enforce illegal blocking and clipping. It would reward technique and saavy.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    it wouldnt even be football anymore if it was a free for all like that between linemen. the game would be unrecognizable and probably unwatchable tbh. blocking schemes, gap rushing schemes would all be thrown out the window. i get the sentiment behind it, but i dont think its even a consideration

phantom and seemingly arbitrary holds do suck. but refs to a pretty good job like 95% of the time. i dont think the average NFL game is ruined by holding calls to the point where we need to completely revamp the sport to work around it
    I know it's not a consideration - more like a pet peeve for me. I know I'm not the only one who feels it's an arbitrary rule.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    I know it's not a consideration - more like a pet peeve for me. I know I'm not the only one who feels it's an arbitrary rule.
    its often called arbitrarily tbh... you're not wrong.

My Team
    Baltimore Ravens
    Post Count
    Give teams an option to stretch out a prorated signing bonus for more years if a player is released. If that's too much, then make it for every reason other than performance. If a guy keeps getting arrested or is injured or whatever, let the teams spread that money out a bit. I know the player's union would be against this because high cut costs keeps under contract. But it would be better for everyone if teams weren't stuck with a ton of dead money for something they couldn't predict.

Along those lines, remove the rule preventing teams from paying part of the salary of an outgoing player in a trade. The league already sort of lets this happen with the bonus conversions for guys like Clowney or Eugene Monroe back in the day, but get rid of the line in the book so teams don't have to skirt around it. Let teams sell cap space. If you don't change the proration rules for trades, then that is still a pretty big disincentive to sign a guy to a big deal just to try to trade him later. Or , limit it to a percentage of the player's salary or whatever. But I don't think there's anything wrong with selling cap space in a league with a hard cap and no salary matching.

I'd also like to see them raise the compensation for practice-squad players and make them more like two-way guys in the NBA are. A team has the option to sign X many guys to exclusive practice-squad deals with guaranteed money but also no chance of the player being poached. That player can then be called up just like in the NBA, and the team doesn't have to make a corresponding roster move like they do now. When called up, that player gets the NFL min for however many weeks they are on the roster. You can balance it out by not letting players sign those contracts if they are draft picks unless they are first released and put on waivers. But doing this gives guys at the bottom of the roster more money and allows teams to have way more flexibility than they currently do. You could have something like a four-week limit before the contract has to be converted too. Just like the PS deals in this scenario, the converted contracts would be guaranteed for the season to prevent abuse.

I'd like to see the IR system continue to evolve. A short-term disabled list makes a lot of sense in a league where guys get hurt all the time. Being designated to return is a nice step, but really if a guy is going to be out like four weeks or whatever, there should be an option to replace that player. If you combine this with the two-way practice squad, you can limit the ways teams could abuse this system. You couldn't use it to keep a bunch of guys, because you have to expose everyone to waivers if you put them on the practice squad. And if you could only use guys from this practice-squad pool to supplement guys on the DL, then you aren't actually adding more players than you've already signed. If you need to actually sign a guy to replace an injured player, then that player has to go on season-ending IR to get the roster spot back.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Allow players to use steroids and other PEDs. We all want to see peak performance. Level the playing field and let everyone juice up.

The rule changes I would like to see are all the rule changes that have been made after 1998 go back to the rules prior to 1998

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    Give teams an option to stretch out a prorated signing bonus for more years if a player is released. If that's too much, then make it for every reason other than performance. If a guy keeps getting arrested or is injured or whatever, let the teams spread that money out a bit. I know the player's union would be against this because high cut costs keeps under contract. But it would be better for everyone if teams weren't stuck with a ton of dead money for something they couldn't predict.

Along those lines, remove the rule preventing teams from paying part of the salary of an outgoing player in a trade. The league already sort of lets this happen with the bonus conversions for guys like Clowney or Eugene Monroe back in the day, but get rid of the line in the book so teams don't have to skirt around it. Let teams sell cap space. If you don't change the proration rules for trades, then that is still a pretty big disincentive to sign a guy to a big deal just to try to trade him later. Or , limit it to a percentage of the player's salary or whatever. But I don't think there's anything wrong with selling cap space in a league with a hard cap and no salary matching.

I'd also like to see them raise the compensation for practice-squad players and make them more like two-way guys in the NBA are. A team has the option to sign X many guys to exclusive practice-squad deals with guaranteed money but also no chance of the player being poached. That player can then be called up just like in the NBA, and the team doesn't have to make a corresponding roster move like they do now. When called up, that player gets the NFL min for however many weeks they are on the roster. You can balance it out by not letting players sign those contracts if they are draft picks unless they are first released and put on waivers. But doing this gives guys at the bottom of the roster more money and allows teams to have way more flexibility than they currently do. You could have something like a four-week limit before the contract has to be converted too. Just like the PS deals in this scenario, the converted contracts would be guaranteed for the season to prevent abuse.

I'd like to see the IR system continue to evolve. A short-term disabled list makes a lot of sense in a league where guys get hurt all the time. Being designated to return is a nice step, but really if a guy is going to be out like four weeks or whatever, there should be an option to replace that player. If you combine this with the two-way practice squad, you can limit the ways teams could abuse this system. You couldn't use it to keep a bunch of guys, because you have to expose everyone to waivers if you put them on the practice squad. And if you could only use guys from this practice-squad pool to supplement guys on the DL, then you aren't actually adding more players than you've already signed. If you need to actually sign a guy to replace an injured player, then that player has to go on season-ending IR to get the roster spot back.
    i think the practice squad one is a very good idea tbh.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    Allow players to use steroids and other PEDs. We all want to see peak performance. Level the playing field and let everyone juice up.
    Yeah this argument has some valid points but ultimately people shouldn’t be required to destroy their body with PEDa more than football already does in order to play in the NFL.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    tbh I'm sick and tired of the pick plays. Idk who was the guy who first exploited it(most likely Belichick, as the Pats were the first team that I saw run it successfully), but it's gotten out of hand especially at the goalline.

I get that the whole point of the play is to make it look like receivers are just running their routes and the defender just "happens" to be in the way. But it's always obvious when it's intentional. Refs just need to make a judgement call on it which will obviously lead to a lot of ing but this needs to stop.

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    no way, this is the circus that would ensue if you eliminated holding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baCeMpAZIgI

I would rather deal with one or two questionable calls then watch that garbage

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    tbh I'm sick and tired of the pick plays. Idk who was the guy who first exploited it(most likely Belichick, as the Pats were the first team that I saw run it successfully), but it's gotten out of hand especially at the goalline.

I get that the whole point of the play is to make it look like receivers are just running their routes and the defender just "happens" to be in the way. But it's always obvious when it's intentional. Refs just need to make a judgement call on it which will obviously lead to a lot of ing but this needs to stop.
    Peyton was the first one who d it out as a goal line play tbh.

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Peyton was the first one who d it out as a goal line play tbh.
    yeah you're right, i was thinking 2015 Patriots but i forgot the Broncos did it beforehand

Thread Information