Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://republican.senate.gov/public/...2-5f204fb330dc

Dear Leader Reid,

The nation’s unemployment level, stuck near 10 percent, is unacceptable to Americans. Senate Republicans have been urging Congress to make private-sector job creation a priority all year. President Obama in his first speech after the November election said “we owe” it to the American people to “focus on those issues that affect their jobs.” He went on to say that Americans “want jobs to come back faster.” Our cons uents have repeatedly asked us to focus on creating an environment for private-sector job growth; it is time that our cons uents’ priorities become the Senate’s priorities.

For that reason, we write to inform you that we will not agree to invoke cloture on the motion to proceed to any legislative item until the Senate has acted to fund the government and we have prevented the tax increase that is currently awaiting all American taxpayers. With little time left in this Congressional session, legislative scheduling should be focused on these critical priorities. While there are other items that might ultimately be worthy of the Senate's attention, we cannot agree to prioritize any matters above the critical issues of funding the government and preventing a job-killing tax hike.

Given our struggling economy, preventing the tax increase and providing economic certainty should be our top priority. Without Congressional action by December 31, all American taxpayers will be hit by an increase in their individual income-tax rates and investment income through the capital gains and dividend rates. If Congress were to adopt the President’s tax proposal to prevent the tax increase for only some Americans, small businesses would be targeted with a job-killing tax increase at the worst possible time. Specifically, more than 750,000 small businesses will see a tax increase, which will affect 50 percent of small-business income and nearly 25 percent of the entire workforce. The death tax rate will also climb from zero percent to 55 percent, which makes it the top concern for America’s small businesses. Republicans and Democrats agree that small businesses create most new jobs, so we ought to be able to agree that raising taxes on small businesses is the wrong remedy in this economy. Finally, Congress still needs to act on the “tax extenders” and the alternative minimum tax “patch,” all of which expired on December 31, 2009.

We look forward to continuing to work with you in a constructive manner to keep the government operating and provide the nation’s small businesses with economic certainty that the job-killing tax hike will be prevented.

###
    SENATE REPUBLICAN COMMUNICATIONS CENTER

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well well well....is anybody surprised by the Party of NO...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well well well....is anybody surprised by the Party of NO...
    Huh?

Basically this was a shot across the bow...quit ing around with stupid like "Don't ask don't tell" and the "Dream Act" and lets take care of IMPORTANT business first.

I'm glad they did it. This is December. People are trying to do tax planning. or get off the pot. That other crap can wait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well..the Republicans are basically saying...either extend the Bush tax breaks for the super rich...or we'll block any and everything you put in front of us...so who's ing around here...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well..the Republicans are basically saying...either extend the Bush tax breaks for the super rich...or we'll block any and everything you put in front of us...so who's ing around here...
    How is this any different from what the party of no has been doing for the last two years?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Or, they could be saying extend the tax breaks for everybody. Critical thinking...it's not just for breakfast anymore.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ...and it's a stupid strategy that spanks the GOP in the long run.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    lol @ the sudden resurgence of the "Party of No" meme.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or, they could be saying extend the tax breaks for everybody.
    I think it's perfectly fair to say their hard stance is focused on extending the cuts for the rich, since they refuse to consider partial tax cut extensions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...and it's a stupid strategy that spanks the GOP in the long run.
    I disagree.

I personally find the democrats class warfare disgusting.

At the end of the wrangling we are probably going to end up with a compromise of permanent extensions for incomes under a certain number (maybe 500-1000K) and a temporary extension for the rest (maybe 2 years).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think it's perfectly fair to say their hard stance is focused on extending the cuts for the rich, since they refuse to consider partial tax cut extensions.
    Or maybe it's just the simple reality that it is stupid to raise taxes during a recession.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Or, alternatively, it could just be "all or nothing".

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I disagree.

I personally find the democrats class warfare disgusting.

At the end of the wrangling we are probably going to end up with a compromise of permanent extensions for incomes under a certain number (maybe 500-1000K) and a temporary extension for the rest (maybe 2 years).
    "They did it first" is not a compelling defense.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    doesnt shock me. republicans get to knock out multiple birds with one stone. challenge the dems, block the Dont ask dont tell and dream act and make the tea party happy. cause if they delay those two acts repugs can just say its tax based not because they hate gays or latinos. perfect politics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will you PLEASE resize your ing sig pics and quit blowing the margins?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or maybe it's just the simple reality that it is stupid to raise taxes during a recession.
    Or, alternatively, it could just be "all or nothing".

Given the fact that we're in a recession, why would extending no tax cuts (the "nothing" part of all or nothing) ever be preferable to extending "some" tax cuts?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Given the fact that we're in a recession, why would extending no tax cuts (the "nothing" part of all or nothing) ever be preferable to extending "some" tax cuts?
    Given the fact that we're in a recession, why would we not extend all tax cuts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because there is no way in the Democrats will let all the tax cuts expire. They can't spin that one hard enough to turn it against the Republicans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And remember, these aren't tax CUTS. This is about continuing the taxes as they are NOW. It is essentially a tax INCREASE if the Democrats blow this up. They won't dare.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the fact that we're in a recession, why would we not extend all tax cuts?
    Because it's preferable to not extending any.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And remember, these aren't tax CUTS. This is about continuing the taxes as they are NOW. It is essentially a tax INCREASE if the Democrats blow this up. They won't dare.
    Under Democratic plans you would get a tax cut. What a ing tool you are to get your panties in a bunch over tax cuts for the wealthy, which you are most certainly not and never will be. Go suck Trickle-down Economic .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are currently paying reduced taxes as a result of what were supposed to be temporary tax cuts, so yes, they are tax cuts. It's a net increase from a reduced tax rate, but it's closer to normal.

If it's such a crisis why wouldn't we go ahead and extend them for anyone making less than $1MM and haggle about everyone else later? The only reason I can see is they're afraid we might not actually face disaster if millionaires don't keep their cuts.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Huh?

Basically this was a shot across the bow...quit ing around with stupid like "Don't ask don't tell" and the "Dream Act" and lets take care of IMPORTANT business first.

I'm glad they did it. This is December. People are trying to do tax planning. or get off the pot. That other crap can wait.
    No . They need to do their job first of the nations business rather than their pet projects.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    No, they included funding the country.

Do you know when we had the best national growth in modern times? I'm not 1005 sure, but I think it was when the top marginal rate was 28%. Why do you liberals always want the rich to pay a higher percentage than others? They already pay more at the same percentage.

Most small businesses file under rules that will increase their taxes, and reduce the ma and pop operations actual income.

Why do you want to kill jobs?

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Or, they could be saying extend the tax breaks for everybody. Critical thinking...it's not just for breakfast anymore.
    Why can't the democrats agree to extent the tax cuts for everyone just one more year? Just a simple bill that extends the current legislation one year. A simple up/down vote on that?

they do still have the majority...

Thread Information