Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had joy. We had fun. We had 21 straight seasons in the sun.

Is San Antonio's streak of 21 consecutive years in the playoffs over? Not quite but it's on life support after the Spurs second straight blowout loss. Friday night's 136-105 home loss comes on the heels of a 39-point defeat in Minnesota. The Spurs are now 10-12 and sit in second to last place in the Western Conference.

Again, handing out grades after a massacre wouldn't be a worthwhile exercise. Just about every player was bad. The coaching was bad. The effort was bad. Almost everything was bad.

-The brightest spot for the Spurs against the Rockets was definitely the play of Derrick White. It's clear that the time is now to force-feed him more minutes. His perimeter defense is far and away the best on the team. He probably has the best court vision. At the very worst, he's a lively body out there who can keep up with NBA athletes -- and that alone is something that not many players on this roster can honestly claim.

White started the second half and that has to be the alignment going forward. I don't care who the rest of the starters are besides White, DeMar DeRozan and LaMarcus Aldridge ... well, as long one isn't Dante Cunningham.

Why is White suddenly a must-start player on the roster? The answer is on the defensive end of the court. DeRozan, after a relatively decent start on that end, has fallen off a cliff in recent games. He's been a disaster defensively as of late and I don't see signs of it improving. And since the same thing happened last year (DeRozan started off strong defensively for the first 20 or so games and then faded), I'd rather have Pop go with White now instead of wasting more time trying to coax more defense out of DeRozan.

The D, or lack thereof, isn't all DeRozan's fault. Teams are starting to realize that Bryn Forbes is a C athlete at best and are beginning to pick him apart. Rudy Gay's mobility comes and goes but has been gone the last three or four games. Cunningham is a slow help defender so he's not doing anyone any favors. Aldridge's defensive intensity wanes from possession to possession; he's not a foundation you can build upon, either.

Start White and hope his defensive prowess can spark the team.

-DeRozan is going to have to learn to play with White. Right now, they have no chemistry but he's going to have to figure it out. If should actually work out for DeRozan if he let's White handle more of the ball-handling and playmaking duties. In theory, that should allow DeRozan to have more energy to attack on each on of his touches ... and allow for him to have more energy for the defensive end of the court.

-After the game, Pop pointed to himself when discussing the offensive woes: "We're obviously discombobulated on offense. So a lot of that has to do with me. I've got to do a better job there."

If my Pop decoder ring is working properly, I believe that's him realizing that despite how much he loves Cunningham's workmanlike energy, starting him just isn't working and is actually killing the offense. Pop knows he has to open up the offense and provide more spacing -- and that starts with putting Cunningham on the bench.

I expect smaller, freer lineups going forward. We'll see.

-Speaking of Pop, let's discuss his status. He's obviously not going to be fired by the Spurs; he basically has a lifetime contract and will coach for as long as he wants. But if things go from bad to worse, would Pop actually step aside?

I don't think so. I just don't see him hanging it up during the middle of the season when he still has the upcoming Olympic coaching duties. That wouldn't be a good look. (And, really, I don't think handing the reins to Ettore Messina or Ime Udoka would improve things in the short-term.)

The more likely scenario is Pop coaching out the season and then reconsidering things this coming summer. There's been talk that he was considering stepping aside at the end of the season and then spending next season traveling around the league to build relationships with the Team USA players. If the Spurs miss the playoffs and Pop is miserable, that's a likely scenario.

Personally, I'm hoping the Spurs can get back on track, make the playoffs and Pop can coach until the day comes he no longer wants to coach. But at times like this, when the Spurs have lost back-to-back games by a combined 70 points, it's an appropriate time to consider Pop's coaching mortality.

-Another tough pill that must now be swallowed is the fact that Aldridge is just not capable of playing anything resembling a complementary role. Last year, he was Option 1A and he was great. But when he's forced to share touches, he's not nearly the same player.

I mean, if we're being honest, that's the reason why he left Portland in the first place. I don't know if he isn't motivated unless he gets constant touches and all the accolades ... or if he just needs constant touches to get into a rhythm.

Whatever the truth is, it puts the Spurs in a difficult spot. DeRozan rightfully needs a ton of touches so Aldridge isn't going to get consistent touches. As a result, the Spurs will have to make do with a version of Aldridge who oftentimes floats on offense and is inconsistent energy-wise on defense.

Pop needs to formulate a system that considers these truths and isn't expecting the 2017-18 version of Aldridge.

-After the Rockets romp, I went and watched the debut of Lonnie Walker IV in Austin. I was impressed. The kid is definitely an A+ athlete who plays with a swagger than may transfer to the NBA and allow him to quickly become a contributing member of the team. On paper, it's unlikely that Walker does anything for the big boys this year because he's about as raw as an NBA player can be today: he didn't go to a powerhouse high school, he went to a university not known for basketball and he wasn't even healthy all of last season.

On paper, Walker is a couple years away. But the Spurs could desperately need athleticism, fearlessness and explosiveness. Walker could help in those areas and I think he should be given a chance once he's completely confident on his knee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've been calling out LMA for years, finally others are starting to notice. Thanks for the write up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I looked at just Walker's highlights but he definitely looks like an explosive athlete with a sweet looking jump shot. Metu is getting some minutes here or there and he (to me at least) looked more raw. Considering how things are going, I am now slightly more hopeful that Walker will get some minutes. Hopefully by the end of the season he has eaten up someone else's minutes, whether that be Cunningham or Marco, or whomever.

Glad to see White play well. Spurs have nothing to lose by starting him, the problem is Forbes there IMO. Spurs really need a small forward but it's a recurrent theme, that allows them to send Forbes to the bench. I don't want to see Forbes/Mills duo, but maybe Walker gets minutes.

Thanks for the random thoughts... I skipped this one bc it was already blow out territory when I tuned in, and there were more interesting things to watch.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2nd 2last

How great that sounds. It seems like there is no other way like bounce back but really ... nope.

This team is soooo bad it's astonishing. Aldringe, Derozan and Gay is a clear playoffs squad. We are outplayed real bad and defense is non existent. And as I was predicting that and was shouting that our D will be damn bad there were ppl saying otherwise. We /the spurs duh/ got rid of one of the best defensive duo in NBA. With Kawhi gone we have nothing to offer on that side of the floor. He is one of the best in history. That's unlikely we will have a chance to hire such individual.

Whats wore. pop shaved his beard and it did not helped. Things even got worse after that. I will keep track on it - if he will decide to let some grow.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great write up Tim one of your
    best I would have to say. Agree with everything you stated for me it’s now all about the draft that is the only way we are going to get better. If we can fall in the 4 to 9 range I think we can get a stud SF which will make a huge impact on next years team. The other is Pop and RC are going to have to make hard decision on who is going to be let go or traded this summer. Besides maybe Deroz and Murray everyone else should be looked at being let go or traded.

One trade I think we can work our and get draft picks would be with Boston they desperately need a big and outside shooters. I would have no problems trading Gasol or Bertans for their first round draft pick.

Rob I think I am coming to your way of thinking of LMA my question to you is what would you do with him? If it’s a trade who do you think we can get or is it a player and draft picks ?

One question I have for you Tim is your thoughts on Ben Moore and Nick Johnson I have been impressed with both players and I think Nick should have a chance to be brought up what are your thoughts.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trading Aldridge could happen, but for who? Who do replace him with? The only reason he played so well last season is because he was the go to guy. He's not effective unless he's the primary focus on offense. So DeMar either has to learn and accept Aldridge is going to be the first option on offense, Aldridge has to accept he's option 2, or you trade one of them.

That's the only way the Spurs improve. The more likely scenario is the Spurs decide to trade Aldridge. It's on record that in the past he asked for a trade when things were going good so I don't see Aldridge opposed to being traded now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the write up sir! I think Metu deserves a mention in his limited time. He is all those things, athletic and explosive, as Walker can be and could compliment Rudy and Bertans as the tandem 3/4. Walker should get some burn too. Belli should be traded. What an epic disaster bringing him back was. He, Mills, and Forbes are ridiculously redundant in the worst possible way (free lay ups and jumpers for opposing gaurds).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might just land a uva draft pick tbh?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's not playing Walker.

First, those pull-up jumpers are a sure way to get benched if he ever does play. One missed pull up off a crossover when guys like DeRozan or Marco or LMA or Forbes or Gay are on the court and he'll get pulled for not being over himself just like White is.

Pop needs to condition Walker first into constantly looking over his shoulder, passively surrendering the ball to Patty Mills, and doubting his own game as worse players get free passes.

But aside from that, there's nowhere for him to get minutes.

Pop will never EVER take Mills down to spot minutes. He can squat on the court and defecate during live play, Pop will just love him more. Such culture.

DeRozan isn't losing minutes. Marco has been even worse than usual but he was the prize of the off-season. They knew he was one of the worst defenders in the league. He has a two year deal. Walker can play after Marco's deal is over. Forbes is now a made man. He's better than Mills, and if Mills won't lose minutes to Walker, neither is Forbes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's not playing Walker.

First, those pull-up jumpers are a sure way to get benched if he ever does play. One missed pull up off a crossover when guys like DeRozan or Marco or LMA or Forbes or Gay are on the court and he'll get pulled for not being over himself just like White is.

Pop needs to condition Walker first into constantly looking over his shoulder, passively surrendering the ball to Patty Mills, and doubting his own game as worse players get free passes.

But aside from that, there's nowhere for him to get minutes.

Pop will never EVER take Mills down to spot minutes. He can squat on the court and defecate during live play, Pop will just love him more. Such culture.

DeRozan isn't losing minutes. Marco has been even worse than usual but he was the prize of the off-season. They knew he was one of the worst defenders in the league. He has a two year deal. Walker can play after Marco's deal is over. Forbes is now a made man. He's better than Mills, and if Mills won't lose minutes to Walker, neither is Forbes.
    Somewhat agree and at one point, possibly soon, the season will be lost and Pop will throw in the young guys to develop.

White is looking good. Sometimes that over the shoulder play is good. Tension makes or breaks the players. White will be better for it. Nobody on here is Giannis or KD so they shouldn't get the green light which makes Belli and his long leash a huge headscratcher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks Timvp. I agree with your review. I must add, it all starts with defense. Whatever happen to yanking the player out when they missed their rotation? And should start with Forbes, Mills, Belli even Demar. We might not score, but hey let’s not the other team score too. Set an example to players, if they want minutes play defense.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Solid thoughts as always. It’s a shame LMA doesn’t have an iota of Timmy in him. He comes across as a very insecure person who hasn’t managed to ‘get over himself’. If the Spurs could move him or in a package for a young prospect it’s now or never, yes the teams paper thin on bigs but his personality is un-spurslike as they come, his at ude is not something you want in the locker room around young players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why bellinelli continues with the green light for all those off-balance shots that rarely come in? he is supposed to be a high qi player for st (since he does not have an ounce of athleticism in his body), he should at the very least make the best decision (fake, pass, etc.)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good write-up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is already scared to shoot the ball like Kyle Anderson was. He's passing up a bunch of open looks. I guess it's the old man telling him he will get benched if he shoots the ball

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of the rare moments where he actually took credit for the poor play. I guess he couldn't find a way to pass the blame on to the players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had joy. We had fun. We had 21 straight seasons in the sun.
    I see what you did there.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last night we saw a modern day offense go up against a boring outdated system. Senile Pop without HOF talent is the guy we want leading our tank, even if it's unintentional
    Last edited by TheGreatYacht; 12-01-2018 at 09:37 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah i'm done with lma.
    i'm done with believing in this team at all.

im gonna sit back, enjoy the catastrophe and sip martinis by the poolside while SA burns to the ground

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This group of players no longer has to look into the eyes of Duncan, Parker, and Gino every day. No mettle. Just cashin' checks for most of these guys. The roster is a mess and yes, the guy from California that used to play here is a big reason why.

In some respects, the Spurs will get four number one picks on the roster by next year ready to go. DJM, Walker, Lottery Pick and non-lottery pick.

The guys on the team with fire in their belly are outnumbered. Murray has fire but he is injured - Patty is too limited physically - I really think Lonnie W will play with passion. I think Demar wants to be a big time player. Notice they are all guards? D White will be a good player in time. Say what you will about Forbes, he can be a useful player in the correct role. Notice a pattern still? All guards. No frontcourt players. None.

LMA may get shipped out at the trade deadline to a Contender as well - I just don't trust him to fight through stuff when things don't go well. Boston has some mismatched pieces right now and draft picks. They should have gotten nephew. Danny Ainge always overplays his hand and that team is still not there yet. If you try to screw other teams to the nth degree EVERY SINGLE TIME, people will no longer do business with you.
    Last edited by Harry Callahan; 12-01-2018 at 10:35 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie a "Couple of years away".....man the brainwashing that Pop and the FO have been able to successfully do during this run has been really quite impressive. Even with how raw he is, he'd easily be the 3rd best wing on the team within 10 games of NBA game action....that's how horrible the roster is.

Look, these losses are embarrassing and a tough pill to swallow. But they're a necessary evil for any long-term chance at success this organization has to hopefully shake them out of their old way of thinking. Hoping for a high lottery pick and this being Pop's final season so the team can start marching towards relevancy again within the next 3-5 years. That won't happen if the moves are centered around Pop's vision and how best to send him off on a farewell tour...

If guys like timvp and others in the Pop/RC can do no wrong camp start admitting to cracks in the foundation, then that is hopefully a sign that maybe real impactful change is on the horizon for this garbage ass roster.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White is already scared to shoot the ball like Kyle Anderson was. He's passing up a bunch of open looks. I guess it's the old man telling him he will get benched if he shoots the ball
    He's the pg. It would be an even bigger catastrophe if he just started jacking up shots. He has to get chemistry with other first then shoot. He needs minutes only. Yesterday he played great. Good decisions.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kingston Trio lyrics? timvp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see what you did there.

Ohhhhh, I was thinking Kingston Trio. Whoops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree 100% that "years away" mantra is basically an "In Pop we Trust" "Corporate Knowledge" yadda Yada. Cult stuff.

On a team, this bad ROOKIES START or get HEAVY PT Especially Rookies of the Pedigree of Lonnie Walker.
    Saying he is a couple off WEEKS away from starting or getting minutes because of REHAB instead of a COUPLE OF YEARS....... ?????

2018 DRAFT is turning into one of the strongest top to bottom in years. I guess some people didn't get the memo. People may have other things to do than watch Tons of NBA games. Just look at the Box score ad +- Numbers to make statements.
    The rookies and young players waiting their turn was understandable in the championship contention war but I agree it’s time to get these guys’ teeth cut

Thread Information