Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, this draft class is loaded with big man prospects which the Spurs are in desperate need of.

And great players come out of weak draft classes too. Isn't the Tony Parker/Pau Gasol draft class considered weak, yet it produced those two aforementioned HOFers plus Zach Randolph, Joe Johnson & Tyson Chandler?

The 2013 draft class is also extremely weak - with a ton of busts - yet there is another future HOFer draft right in the middle of the 1st round (Giannis Antetokounmpo).

Weak drafts tend to feature mid picks or even random picks

Deep drafts tend to favor the top few. Because the media who is labeling weak or strong is really a bad scout and can only spot obvious.

So if they see two or three players that are obvious top 5. They say it's a strong draft.

Mocks are not even close to accurate outside of top 3 in general

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, Pop is not tanking ...

808s & Heartbreak Kool Bob Love's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The team sucks because of these stupid fiesta color jerseys.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tanking

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They're not tanking they're just young and suck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC, ostensibly a worse team with lesser talent, has now beaten the Lakers twice, home and away, without LeBron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OKC, ostensibly a worse team with lesser talent, has now beaten the Lakers twice, home and away, without LeBron.
    well, OKC has one player who is miles better than our best player ... whoever that is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, so the team that has tanked for years has lesser talent than the Spurs? Then what the do y’all want the Spurs to do if neither plan works? Plus, losing teams beat winning teams all the time. This whole prisoner of the moment is getting tiresome.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, OKC has one player who is miles better than our best player ... whoever that is
    We are currently 2-2 against the Leastern Conference and haven't played anyone currently higher than 9th in the standings (first win against the 2nd worst team and MIL who is in a post-championship haze at 4-4 and was without 2 starters and 3 key bench guys).

We are 0-4 against the West, including two losses to Dallas (without Porzingis both times), a Denver team thats only at 4-4 currently without Murray), and an LA team at home without LeBron.

Im sure we will beat Orlando tonight and finish off the second worst team in the East twice to get to 3-4, but man oh man is this gonna be a long year. We really haven't played any of the best teams in the league from either conference, and certainly not at full strength.

Yet Primo is taking handles classes in Austin. pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont be daft, of course they have lesser talent. But they have like a billion first roubd picks upon which to parlay into better talent.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait, so the team that has tanked for years has lesser talent than the Spurs? Then what the do y’all want the Spurs to do if neither plan works? Plus, losing teams beat winning teams all the time. This whole prisoner of the moment is getting tiresome.
    I want them to commit to one plan or the other. Lol, this isnt rocket science. Stop acting like we are mere development away from turning the corner. We are talent away from turning the corner.

I think its obvious we have maybe three starters on our roster that can be a playoff team, yet one doesn't play at all, and the other gets limited minutes. Murray being the third. I suppose Jakob could be a 4th with enough scoring players around him, but without that, hes a huge weight around the offensive capabilities of the team especially in the pnp game with Murray.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it’s not “of course they have lesser talent”. They should have better talent after all these years if the experts on here are correct that tanking yields better talent. Same for the Rockets with Green who chucks everything up and Sengun who is foul prone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it’s not “of course they have lesser talent”. They should have better talent after all these years if the experts on here are correct that tanking yields better talent. Same for the Rockets with Green who chucks everything up and Sengun who is foul prone.
    man, i was all in on sengun for the draft but i think we may have dodged a bullet. he may turn out to have a decent tenure in the league but he is slow and so limited on the defensive end of the ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But...Green and Sengun are playing [pulls hair out of head]. Lots of minutes. And Sengun is already leading the league in forcing turnovers and is already demonstrating he's gonna be a stud in this league for a long time to come. The Rockets are playing their youth, and a bunch of minutes.

Of course our top draft pick is taking dribbling lessons and has played about 5 minutes in 8 games.

As for OKC, they've racked up enough FRPs to trade for a starting playoff roster to go around SGA. Problem they have and will always have is they know its a short term rental because OKC is undoubtedly the least coveted free agent destination in the league. So I'm sure they're gun-shy about using hard earned capital on trades. Theyre in a tough position to parlay their cards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    man, i was all in on sengun for the draft but i think we may have dodged a bullet. he may turn out to have a decent tenure in the league but he is slow and so limited on the defensive end of the ball.
    Those things were known about his game pre-draft. He's already leading the league on forced turnovers, so I'm not sure what you mean about his defense.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2021/1...her-than-later

I was and remain high on him. That said, I would love to rally behind Primo once Pop thinks hes learned how to dribble, of course.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those things were known about his game pre-draft. He's already leading the league on forced turnovers, so I'm not sure what you mean about his defense.

https://www.thedreamshake.com/2021/1...her-than-later

I was and remain high on him. That said, I would love to rally behind Primo once Pop thinks hes learned how to dribble, of course.
    the times i've seen him against other bigs, he gets abused. altin was toying with him last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the times i've seen him against other bigs, he gets abused. altin was toying with him last night.
    Ayton is amongst the league's best big men and likely to secure a max contract. He should toy with an undersized rook playing his 7th game.

Sengun has all the skills he needs to be a solid PF in this league for years to come. He just needs to learn defensive positioning and improve his 3 ball. Read that article I posted above.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ayton is amongst the league's best big men and likely to secure a max contract. He should toy with an undersized rook playing his 7th game.

Sengun has all the skills he needs to be a solid PF in this league for years to come. He just needs to learn defensive positioning and improve his 3 ball. Read that article I posted above.
    i read the article. it's nice but it's a localized SB nation article so i weigh it accordingly. in other words, it's more of an opinion piece. again, i liked sengun and i think he'll carve out a decent enough career because of his offense but i see a lot more upside in primo. that being said, sengun's background is such that a stint in the g-league really wasn't necessary.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i read the article. it's nice but it's a localized SB nation article so i weigh it accordingly. in other words, it's more of an opinion piece. again, i liked sengun and i think he'll carve out a decent enough career because of his offense but i see a lot more upside in primo. that being said, sengun's background is such that a stint in the g-league really wasn't necessary.
    Primo should be great, once pop thinks he can dribble, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But...Green and Sengun are playing [pulls hair out of head]. Lots of minutes. And Sengun is already leading the league in forcing turnovers and is already demonstrating he's gonna be a stud in this league for a long time to come. The Rockets are playing their youth, and a bunch of minutes.

Of course our top draft pick is taking dribbling lessons and has played about 5 minutes in 8 games.

As for OKC, they've racked up enough FRPs to trade for a starting playoff roster to go around SGA. Problem they have and will always have is they know its a short term rental because OKC is undoubtedly the least coveted free agent destination in the league. So I'm sure they're gun-shy about using hard earned capital on trades. Theyre in a tough position to parlay their cards.
    Whoopty ing do that these scrubs are getting minutes. Busts get minutes all the time. We’re deviating from the topic talking about minutes which is in no relation to the point that these tanking teams should have better talent when you’re saying they dont. That’s ridiculous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=offset formation;10633790

Yet Primo is taking handles classes in Austin. [/QUOTE]

Tbh, one of Primo's biggest issues currently is his handles and, by extension, his assist-to-turnover ratio. I remember one poster here pointing out that Cade Cunningham had a poor assist-to-turnover ratio in college, and saying that was a major red flag... well, Primo's ratio in college was worse than Cunningham's, and he wasn't even the main option at Alabama-- plus he continued this trend in Summer League. If the Spurs plan on using him as a future secondary playmaker, it's probably the main thing that Primo needs to work on. His shooting stroke & confidence/aggression seem to already be there, so adding handles & D will be the things that make him the most complete player possible. If Primo doesn't join the team in the second half of the season, I think you'll have a point, but for now I'm good with him developing in Austin & focusing on the aspects of his game that need work.

Btw: you mentioned dribbling twice, so I'm assuming there was some mention of this somewhere? Do you have a link? I'd honestly like to read it. I haven't seen it anywhere, but it makes sense.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 11-05-2021 at 10:24 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, one of Primo's biggest issues currently is his handles and, by extension, his assist-to-turnover ratio. I remember one poster here pointing out that Cade Cunningham had a poor assist-to-turnover ratio in college, and saying that was a major red flag... well, Primo's ratio in college was worse than Cunningham's, and he wasn't even the main option at Alabama-- plus he continued this trend in Summer League. If the Spurs plan on using him as a future secondary playmaker, it's probably the main thing that Primo needs to work on. His shooting stroke & confidence/aggression seem to already be there, so adding handles & D will be the things that make him the most complete player possible. If Primo doesn't join the team in the second half of the season, I think you'll have a point, but for now I'm good with him developing in Austin & focusing on the aspects of his game that need work.
    when kawhi was in his early years on the spurs, he had some pretty sloppy ball handling skills as well which impacted his input on the offensive side of the ball; it wasn't until he polished his ball handling that he went to the next level. now, leonard was older and he also had so much to offer on the defensive side that putting him on the starting unit just made sense at the time, especially since he was surrounded by a trio of hall of famers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when kawhi was in his early years on the spurs, he had some pretty sloppy ball handling skills as well which impacted his input on the offensive side of the ball; it wasn't until he polished his ball handling that he went to the next level. now, leonard was older and he also had so much to offer on the defensive side that putting him on the starting unit just made sense at the time, especially since he was surrounded by a trio of hall of famers.
    True-- and the teams that rookie & sop re Kawhi played on were literally looking for a single missing piece to fill out a championship roster. This current team is in the discussion for the maybe getting a 10th seed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs ain't tanking, they are just not that good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Btw: you mentioned dribbling twice, so I'm assuming there was some mention of this somewhere? Do you have a link? I'd honestly like to read it. I haven't seen it anywhere, but it makes sense.
    When you're tanking, it shouldn't matter how many turnovers the kid gets. Let him get his run playing hoops like other of his peers.

I saw a tweet I think that he was being sent to Austin to work on his handles, among other things.

Thread Information