Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure that partial guarantees and trades don't work like that anymore with Pau. That loophole was closed. I think the only way to get the benefit if to be traded the league year before the partial guarantee.

Also, with Kawhi having the opt out, even if he makes up and stays he'll still opt out and his cap hold will knock off another 10 million.

Best case then is only 12 million plus the room exception.
    From my understanding that is incorrect. Pau, whether traded or not, would only cost SA 6M. If he’s traded, he cost SA 0 and the other team 6M if he’s waived.

What you a referring to is regarding to matching salaries in the trade. In this instance though, it would be to a team with enough cap space to where that would not matter.

You are correct about Kawhi, but that was not the angle. Im saying that Kawhi is gone, but keeping his 20M on the books for math purposes was prudent for this example because when he’s traded it would be for players worth a total of no more than his 20M and might even be less depending.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slumps happen, but if a player doesn't make them when it counts, shouldn't that be priced in?

Like I wrote, good for him for not being too scared to shoot like Anderson, but if he can't make them ... Not helping that much.

A lot of his shots were open, he wasn't some gravitational force out there from my memory. I'd have to watch the series again to be sure .... But I don't think I can take that
    Bertans was extremely bad in that series, but I think it's stupid to negatively judge a bunch of role players asked to play against the best team in recent history without any stars to take pressure off them IMO..

Now, the counter-point would be that this year's team won't be any different in that regard, and I agree with that..however, the goal isn't to beat the Warriors, not even the biggest Spurs homer believes that they could do that this team full of role players matches up horribly against the Warriors..

This team is just trying to stay relevant against the other teams in the West..most of us expected this, Pop isn't going to rebuild in his final years..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Slumps happen, but if a player doesn't make them when it counts, shouldn't that be priced in?

Like I wrote, good for him for not being too scared to shoot like Anderson, but if he can't make them ... Not helping that much.

A lot of his shots were open, he wasn't some gravitational force out there from my memory. I'd have to watch the series again to be sure .... But I don't think I can take that
    I still think the Deng/Mozgov contracts are bizarre. Why sign either guy long term? If you're going to hand out what you know is probably a bad contract you'd think they'd at least make it a one year deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not all former lottery picks are created equal... MUDIAY, HEZONJA, OKAFOR ARE LOTTERY PICKS TOO.. SAmE Draft BUT WE GOT A FIRST AND SPACE FOR OURS... Rest of those guys actually walked for NADA or traded for peanuts like Oak.
    So this place calls Russell Dbust, but yet trading him for a first rounder and shedding one of the worst contracts in recent FA is not a smart move?
    KAWHI got u Niccas so shook you are ting on previous takes...
    Look, I’m not saying that Magic and Co have not done some good to right previous wrongs. Landing Lebron cures all things bad, but not if they fail to win it all with their new found success.

Beyond just getting lucky that Bron loves LA (don’t get it twisted, he didn’t go to LA because they were the best basketball place), to lose for 5 years and have 3 #2 picks + a #7 pick and only have Kuz/Ingram/Lonzo to show for it?

That’s fine since you got Lebron, but you would think you would have a legit 2nd option with 5 years of losing and that many top 10 picks (including 3 #2’s) and not need 2 more stars with Bron.

The one year deals are fine, but let’s see which “star” they attract because right now while they got a lot better with Bron it’s not just about being a decent team; it’s about using their “LA appeal” to build a legit contender over the next 4 years. And also developing the young guys they actually have not shipped off just yet.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Look, I’m not saying that Magic and Co have not done some good to right previous wrongs. Landing Lebron cures all things bad, but not if they fail to win it all with their new found success.

Beyond just getting lucky that Bron loves LA (don’t get it twisted, he didn’t go to LA because they were the best basketball place), to lose for 5 years and have 3 #2 picks + a #7 pick and only have Kuz/Ingram/Lonzo to show for it?

That’s fine since you got Lebron, but you would think you would have a legit 2nd option with 5 years of losing and that many top 10 picks (including 3 #2’s) and not need 2 more stars with Bron.

The one year deals are fine, but let’s see which “star” they attract because right now while they got a lot better with Bron it’s not just about being a decent team; it’s about using their “LA appeal” to build a legit contender over the next 4 years. And also developing the young guys they actually have not shipped off just yet.
    On this we agree. Clock is ticking ...
    But not sure why it wouldnt make sense to move on from Russell.
    I was with you I felt to early to trade him at the time (i can admit I was wrong unlike many on here) but it was absolutely the right move.
    Kuzma is producing Almost Russell type scoring in a limited role. . yes he is overrated on LG (underrated here) but I would say he at the very least is giving us at least 90% of his value.
    They are close in age (though Kuz was just a rook), Kyle is cheaper and has no knee issues. by All objective accounts that is a great trade.

I agree that Ingram has to break out because by reports Lakers refused to include Ingram in any Paul George trades. He needs to at least be worth that.
    THE Kawhi trade talks are so conlficting tough to know what is true. Some say Lakers wont deal Ingram others say asking for BOTH Kuzma/Ingram is what shut the deal down.
    Either way best way to build a contender is to have someone outplay their contract. Ingram to me more than Lonzo has that chance.
    OF course if KL was healthy I would deal Ingram for KL be stupid not to ... but with that injury ...rather give Ingram a chance to develop in to a #2. And roll the dice he eventually comes or we get another star.

As for the drafts ...Again As i said at the time only one player in Russell's draft was a franchise player (Towns)...and Lakers drafted #2. Its easy to say Lakers should have more of a star but after KP's injury and Word that Butler thinks KAT is lazy that may be the worse draft of the past 5 years. Mudiay,Oakafor, HEzonja and Russell have all left their teams. Only other picks of any value is Myles Turner and he is not tearing up the NBA either.
    The point is when the draft is bad you cant fault the Lakers when only one star is in it and they picked 2nd.

Bsides Russell was drafted by Mitch, again previous regime.
    Only incomplete so far, is Lonzo and even if that turns out to be a loss all the other moves have been aces.
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 07-09-2018 at 04:36 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    A laker fan calling SA not a FA destination when LMA had offer from LA and SA on the table and ran from LA. LA, had max cap space and had to sign Deng and Mozgov with all their “FA appeal”
    Previous regime.
    Also I did not want Aldridge at max said so at the time and I know you remember because you said it was the price of business.
    Sure you guys won FA (and yet where has that led?) and that is part of why Maginka was brought in.
    As i said then And I will update now only guys I thinnk are truly worth max: Bron, Harden, healthy KL, KD, Russ, steph, Gianni and Unibrow everyone else being paid max are overpaid. Including Embiid, Conley Wall etc.
    Y'all did us a favor.
    Thank you ...
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 07-09-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good deal, but I prefer the 4th season is a team option or partial guarantee. Either way, it's not a big deal though. He's still youngish and despite coming off a somewhat disappointing season (difficult to judge a lot of players in that situation, particularly in the playoffs), if he plays up to his potential, at worst this is a neutral contract and at best a value one.

He'll now receive one half of the equation to playing up his potential, which is a rotation spot. Now he just needs a play maker or two to play off of.

To put $5M annually in perspective, the MLE (average salary) this season stars at 8.64M and because its a by-product of the cap, it usually incrementally increases.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Mbah a Moute has signed with the Clippers for one year for $4.3 million.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Previous regime.
    Also I did not want Aldridge at max said so at the time and I know you remember because you said it was the price of business.
    Sure you guys won FA (and yet where has that led?) and that is part of why Maginka was brought in.
    As i said then And I will update now only guys I thinnk are truly worth max: Bron, Harden, healthy KL, KD, Russ, steph, giannis everyone else being paid max are overpaid.
    Y'all did us a favor.
    Thank you ...
    That’s fine but the point was about attracting free agents and SA beat out LA for the same money. La just got Bron though and I’m sure they will Land more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tom Orsborn

Tom_orsborn

Word from a league source and the agent for Davis Bertans is that a report saying the #Spurs have reached a deal with the restricted free agent is premature. Progress is being made, for sure, but there's no agreement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he'd be pretty effective next to LMA & Kawhi. He doesn't need his feet set & has got an ultra quick release on his jumper & shot 40% from 3 his first year when they actually had a creator. His footspeed on the perimeter is actually ok for a PF, he just can't rebound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tom Orsborn

Tom_orsborn

Word from a league source and the agent for Davis Bertans is that a report saying the #Spurs have reached a deal with the restricted free agent is premature. Progress is being made, for sure, but there's no agreement.
    lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tom Orsborn

Tom_orsborn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The indignation if it ends up being for more money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Figures. Only trust Woj and Shams tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the deal was leaked by bertans' agent so he can scope out SpursTalk evaluations before committing to the deal. by my estimates they will increase their demand to 4/25

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the deal was leaked by bertans' agent so he can scope out SpursTalk evaluations before committing to the deal. by my estimates they will increase their demand to 4/25
    lmao sad but true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mr. Body, get in here.

you're a phony Holden_Caulfield's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10 pages of fake news

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank God.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the ! We've been scammed!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have nothing against Bertans. But don't overpay him.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who announced the signing? RealGM?

This is why I only go to Jabari Young for real news.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who announced the signing? RealGM?

This is why I only go to Jabari Young for real news.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wahoo! Oh wait...its fake news. ..

Thread Information