Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So someone finally took the keys from grandpa?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So someone finally took the keys from grandpa?
    No, he's just stopped being a huge got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Playing your best guys. That's about 80% of a basketball coach's job, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even at their peak, they still aren't anything better than the Dallas/OKC/Utah level(at best), but they should be better than their current record.

Pop was just testing out, as usual. Everybody wanted him to retire 2 weeks ago
    Someone needs to ask poop why he signed Carroll

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #beckywiththegoodplays finally took over tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The way he's looked every time he steps on the court, I'd rather have reporters miss that question, lol... We'd be much better off recalling Keldon from Austin and playing him and Lonnie as our SF rotation, even though they're out of position some, than giving DeMarre extended minutes. Just tonight, he fumbled the ball twice on consecutive possessions on a clear lack of speed/agility and was bailed out by ref whistle. Just doesn't look like he has anything left in the tank, tbh.

The Journey Is The Reward rudwick's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That’s some stupid analysis. Let’s just play our starters the whole game. Never mind that they’ll be worn out halfway through the season. Never mind that the young guys won’t develop, and you can’t incentivize players with minutes to play the way you want. I guess Tom Petrini has a lot of victories and rings though so he must know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it just coincides with the IVth getting minutes and Beli slowly fading into the ether but what do we know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might've held on to the lead or atleast went down to the wire at MIL if Murray was available. It truly is amazing what a cancerous cancer Cancernelli is, tbh.
    Nothing to suggest he's a cancer. Lonnie is just way better. Imagine if we didn't play Forbes.

The Spurs have a decent team. It's just that Pop is playing some of the wrong players. He's starting to trust Lonnie more so hopefully that is a good sign.

But to say that someone is a cancer is just bull , IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ALso the idea that Pop was just trying is laughable. If you're going to experiment, wouldn't you do so with your YOUNG players and not Beli? He's still starting Forbe when it makes no sense for him to be anything but on the end of the bench. He's still not playing Lonnie and White enough minutes. Pop is just doing a job this year. Its not as bad now, but its still not good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s some stupid analysis. Let’s just play our starters the whole game. Never mind that they’ll be worn out halfway through the season. Never mind that the young guys won’t develop, and you can’t incentivize players with minutes to play the way you want. I guess Tom Petrini has a lot of victories and rings though so he must know.
    Its not stupid at all. Bryn Forbes is 3rd in minutes on the Spurs yet is the 2nd worst in PER which is a stat he should be over performing in as a mainly offensive player. The only player worse than him is Marco. Its one thing to have a player that is bad playing SOME minutes (still a ty idea) but he's playing more than anyone not named LA or Derozan. On the other hand, Jakob is killing it this year but isn't even getting 20 mpg.

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its not stupid at all. Bryn Forbes is 3rd in minutes on the Spurs yet is the 2nd worst in PER which is a stat he should be over performing in as a mainly offensive player. The only player worse than him is Marco. Its one thing to have a player that is bad playing SOME minutes (still a ty idea) but he's playing more than anyone not named LA or Derozan. On the other hand, Jakob is killing it this year but isn't even getting 20 mpg.
    MIG with the goods

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Celtic announcer said it's like night and day from the last time they played. He couldn't stop praising how the Spurs kept moving, cutting, driving, constantly, with answer to everything Celtics were doing. Imo it was all Lonnie energizing the team, but LMA shooting the 3, allowing for Walker to have minutes. Now Spurs are matching the physicality, no longer have defensive liability, as long as Pop does not play Bryn/Mills/Beli together. Whatever they are doing, they should bottle it and run with it. Spurs look good and actually look like a contender.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess Tom Petrini has a lot of victories and rings though so he must know.

So you're saying that nobody can analyze stats unless he's coached a team to an NBA Championship? Now THAT is some stupid analysis.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're saying that nobody can analyze stats unless he's coached a team to an NBA Championship? Now THAT is some stupid analysis.
    No, I’m saying the people commenting don’t know how to coach basketball and are not aware of the reasons why good coaches do what they do. RPM is also a bad stat. Look at the list of best players by RPM. It is ridiculous. Donte DiVencenzo? Dennis Schroder? Give me a break.
    It’s fine to analyze stats but the reasons for allocating playing time are many and complicated. People get tired, they need prodding to play the right way. Some are playing bad but have good potential. Some have particular skills that you need in certain cir stances. The big complaint I hear is that Bryn is playing over Lonnie. For the season, Bryn’s stats are better than Lonnie’s. I suspect that has changed in recent games due to Lonnie’s improved play, and what do you know, Lonnie’s playing more now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that more minutes for Jakob would be good, but that probably means less for Aldridge which will be a net loss at least in the short run. I think fewer minutes for Aldridge would help later in the season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They thought he was Jae Crowder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing to suggest he's a cancer. Lonnie is just way better. Imagine if we didn't play Forbes.

The Spurs have a decent team. It's just that Pop is playing some of the wrong players. He's starting to trust Lonnie more so hopefully that is a good sign.

But to say that someone is a cancer is just bull , IMO.
    His play on the court is cancerous. It literally kills the team. He's probably a good teammate and a good guy off the court though.

No, I’m saying the people commenting don’t know how to coach basketball and are not aware of the reasons why good coaches do what they do. RPM is also a bad stat. Look at the list of best players by RPM. It is ridiculous. Donte DiVencenzo? Dennis Schroder? Give me a break.
    It’s fine to analyze stats but the reasons for allocating playing time are many and complicated. People get tired, they need prodding to play the right way. Some are playing bad but have good potential. Some have particular skills that you need in certain cir stances. The big complaint I hear is that Bryn is playing over Lonnie. For the season, Bryn’s stats are better than Lonnie’s. I suspect that has changed in recent games due to Lonnie’s improved play, and what do you know, Lonnie’s playing more now.
    If you think Brent Forms is anywhere close to being as good of a basketball player as Lonnie Walker because of PPG then you just don't know basketball, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His play on the court is cancerous. It literally kills the team. He's probably a good teammate and a good guy off the court though.

If you think Brent Forms is anywhere close to being as good of a basketball player as Lonnie Walker because of PPG then you just don't know basketball, tbh.
    Up to this point he is better statistically. You can see that Lonnie has a higher ceiling due to his size and athleticism. Up to now Bryn’s stats are better, and he has gotten those stats against starting lineups, which tends to depress them.

Here are our 4 shooting guards: (assuming DDR is a 3 and Derrick White is a 1)
    Player. WinShares/48 (up to Jan 7)
    Patty Mills .098
    Bryn Forbes. .041
    Lonnie Walker .015
    Marco Belinelli .000

Pop has mostly played the top two, with Patty as the sparkplug off the bench. They get similar minutes. Recent stats will probably look better for Lonnie since he is new and learning fast, but there is nothing there to suggest that the coaches are senile. I would expect Lonnie to be starting in the near future if those trends continue.

Yeah, Marco sucks, but he has historically made big shots, so you don’t want to keep him totally shut down. You may need him to make a big shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah it just coincides with the IVth getting minutes and Beli slowly fading into the ether but what do we know.
    this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LWIV is certainly making a difference, but that in and of itself isn't the only improvement.

With LA shooting lights out from the 3 point line, spacing is so much better. In particular, Derozan is benefiting greatly. Tonight against Boston, look at the 1:48 mark of the 2nd quarter as one example. LA was standing in 3 point land (as we're others), which allowed Derozan to take Hayward down on the left block and work him over.

The Spurs have really found something with that offensive set.

Undoubtedly having a guy like LWIV who can get his own shot is a significant upgrade as well.

It is going to be interesting to see things going forward. I think LA shooting 3's translates well in many match ups, but against teams like the Clippers with longer defenders like KL and PG, it won't fair as well.

Maybe the Spurs can make one move before the trade deadline to advance themselves, unfortunately the assets just are not there to make much happen I fear. Regardless, this team is looking vastly improved in this latest incarnation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as Pop does not go back to Forbes/Mills/Beli combination which gives back the lead and kills the defensive momentum. I don’t know if tonight’s line-up and minimizing Beli was by design, because 3 games ago he was using Forbes/Mills/Beli combo and lost to Bucks, or was that night only because Murray was out. I hope so. Because somebody should bottle the game tonight. With the exception of Gay, everybody played well. Everybody moving, cutting, driving, switching on D, and the personnel did not have defensive liability. Spurs matched physicality. The Celtic announcer couldn’t stop praising the Spurs, and that Celtic has no match if Spurs play the same way. It would be very hard to guard. If Spurs play the same every night, Spurs would be very hard to beat. Beautiful Game 2.0 anyone? This time Aldridge spacing our multiple slashers. I hope Pop commit to that iden y.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This happens every year around this time . . .

Someone gets it...this is all fools gold... We beat a Boston team without their best player, and got lucky vs the Bucks... We aren't good... All this does is make us stand Pat when we KNOW we need to make trades... This is how mediocre teams stay mediocre... What are we doing here? Building around an old LMA and DDR? Come on now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Celtic announcer said it's like night and day from the last time they played. He couldn't stop praising how the Spurs kept moving, cutting, driving, constantly, with answer to everything Celtics were doing. Imo it was all Lonnie energizing the team, but LMA shooting the 3, allowing for Walker to have minutes. Now Spurs are matching the physicality, no longer have defensive liability, as long as Pop does not play Bryn/Mills/Beli together. Whatever they are doing, they should bottle it and run with it. Spurs look good and actually look like a contender.
    It's called "bad teams win games sometimes"...we are Utah last year...no one takes us seriously, but sleep on us and we can beat u

Thread Information