Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah!!!! Columbus!!!

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Italian Americans are better off erecting statues of John Gotti. Less of a monster tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he proclaimed Columbus Day to be....Columbus Day....

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Italian Americans are better off erecting statues of John Gotti. Less of a monster tbh.
    How do you idolize a slaver like Columbus? Especially when Italians have Galileo, who is arguably the person most responsible for the West's wealth these last few centuries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do you idolize a slaver like Columbus? Especially when Italians have Galileo, who is arguably the person most responsible for the West's wealth these last few centuries.
    Because Columbus was a slaver and exploiter. That's what people like about him.

Taming aborigines, spreading Christianity and civilization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "land-grab" universities

The Morrill Act worked by turning land expropriated from tribal nations into seed money for higher education. In all, the act redistributed nearly 11 million acres — an area larger than Massachusetts and Connecticut combined. But with a footprint broken up into almost 80,000 parcels of land, scattered mostly across 24 Western states, its place in the violent history of North America’s colonization has remained comfortably inaccessible.

Over the past two years, High Country News has located more than 99% of all Morrill Act acres, identified their original Indigenous inhabitants and caretakers, and researched the principal raised from their sale in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. We reconstructed approximately 10.7 million acres taken from nearly 250 tribes, bands and communities through over 160 violence-backed land cessions, a legal term for the giving up of territory.

Our data shows how the Morrill Act turned Indigenous land into college endowments. It reveals two open secrets: First, according to the Morrill Act, all money made from land sales must be used in perpetuity, meaning those funds still remain on university ledgers to this day. And secondly, at least 12 states are still in possession of unsold Morrill acres as well as associated mineral rights, which continue to produce revenue for their designated ins utions.

The returns were stunning: To extinguish Indigenous le to land siphoned through the Morrill Act, the United States paid less than $400,000. But in truth, it often paid nothing at all. Not a single dollar was paid for more than a quarter of the parcels that supplied the grants — land confiscated through outright seizure or by treaties that were never ratified by the federal government. From the University of Florida to Washington State University, from the Massachusetts Ins ute of Technology to the University of Arizona, the grants of land raised endowment principal for 52 ins utions across the United States.
    https://www.hcn.org/issues/52.4/indi...b-universities

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because Columbus was a slaver and exploiter. That's what people like about him.

Taming aborigines, spreading Christianity and civilization.
    and raping/infecting the natives

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and raping/infecting the natives
    Opportunites for plunder, pillage and murder are evergreen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As
    governor and viceroy of the Indies, Columbus imposed iron discipline on the first Spanish colony in the Americas, in what is now the Caribbean country of Dominican Republic. Punishments included cutting off people's ears and noses, parading women naked through the streets and selling them into slavery.

"Columbus' government was characterised by a form of tyranny," Consuelo Varela, a Spanish historian who has seen the do ent, told journalists.

One man caught stealing corn had his nose and ears cut off, was placed in shackles and was then auctioned off as a slave. A woman who dared to suggest that Columbus was of lowly birth was punished by his brother Bartolomé, who had also travelled to the Caribbean. She was stripped naked and paraded around the colony on the back of a mule.

"Bartolomé ordered that her tongue be cut out," said Ms Varela. "Christopher congratulated him for defending the family."

The evidence has been found in a previously lost report drawn up at the time for the Spanish monarchs as they became worried by growing rumours of Columbus' barbarity and avarice. The do ent was written by a member of an order of religious knights, the Order of Calatrava, who had been asked to investigate the allegations against Columbus by Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand, who ruled Spain together at the time.

The report, by Francisco de Bobadilla, lay undiscovered in a state archive in the Spanish city of Valladolid until last year. Bobadilla had already been named governor of the Indies, replacing Columbus, at the time of the report.

The 48-page do ent gathers evidence from Columbus' enemies and supporters of his seven-year reign. Ms Varela, one of the two Spanish historians to have studied the do ent, described life in the colony as "horrifying and hard".

Bobadilla collected the testimonies of 23 people who had seen or heard about the treatment meted out by Columbus and his brothers. "Even those who loved him had to admit the atrocities that had taken place," Ms Varela said.

Columbus and his brothers were forced to travel back to Spain. Columbus was in chains but, although he never recovered his les, he was set free and allowed to sail back to the Caribbean.

"Columbus and his brothers come across in the text as tyrants," Ms Varela said. "Now one can understand why he was sacked and we can see that there were good reasons for doing so.

"The monarchs wanted someone who did not give them problems. Columbus did not solve problems, he created them."
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...07/books.spain

He was barbaric, evil, and petty. I can see why you think he is great.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might as well erect a statue of Hitler next to it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Opportunites for plunder, pillage and murder are evergreen.
    With blessings of the Catholic Church and clerics who accompanied the Spanish and Portuguese ships

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol the YouTubes that derp watches

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dunno. The West sure did build a lot of wealth on the backs of slaves

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every year with the italians and their Columbus worship.

Time to find a different holiday to go crazy over.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every year with the italians and their Columbus worship.

Time to find a different holiday to go crazy over.
    The banks still love this day for some reason

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You spend your days talking about superhero movies.
    How you gonna act like you're above it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You spend your days talking about superhero movies.
    How you gonna act like you're above it?
    I know the superhero movies aren't real.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least they aren't tearing down statues of Lincoln and Roosevelt.

Nevermind

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know the superhero movies aren't real.
    Guess what; Italians are real. So is the mafia.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Guess what; Italians are real. So is the mafia.
    you clearly watch too many mafia movies

Thread Information