My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/c...ving-the-spurs

First,

Let's get the basic conversations out of the way,

In before "SpURs aRe StUpID fOr LetTiNg gO oF BoBaN"

Boban is not going to make any team a contender. He's a solid backup center who contributes well.

What I'm more interested in is:

1) why players like Boban want to stay in SA, because let's face it, it's not because of the city
    2) i think it's great insight to what the Spurs tell their own players, specifically when he says, "loyalty only goes so far"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs had to give Gasoft, Porker and Manu 15 million each.

Spurs are stupid for letting go of Boban.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that 2016 team was the most loaded Spurs team ever. 15 deep, even our 3rd stringers ran through the opponents and extended leads in garbage time. I have no clue how we could lose to OKC cause Pop had to play West and Diaw together all the time. That Spurs vs. Warriors series would've been epic.

Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Aldridge, Nephew, Danny Green, Diaw, West, Boban, etc. on one team. You have to win a chip with that roster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After Boban put on a show that night in Philly, I wanted them to supermax him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that 2016 team was the most loaded Spurs team ever. 15 deep, even our 3rd stringers ran through the opponents and extended leads in garbage time. I have no clue how we could lose to OKC cause Pop had to play West and Diaw together all the time. That Spurs vs. Warriors series would've been epic.

Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Aldridge, Nephew, Danny Green, Diaw, West, Boban, etc. on one team. You have to win a chip with that roster
    I remember Duncan injured his knee midway through that season and he was never the same since then. Probably would've won that OKC series if he had stayed healthy all year long.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Backup C my ass. Dude's good for 30-20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember Duncan injured his knee midway through that season and he was never the same since then. Probably would've won that OKC series if he had stayed healthy all year long.
    he was still a 10 points 10 rebounds per game big with elite rim protection. We would've won that series if Flopovich would've played Aldridge/Diaw Duncan/West instead of Aldridge/Duncan Diaw/West. Or if he had played Boban next to Diaw or West. But you know how Pop is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, and that knee was the one he had likely overtaxed by favoring it over his braced one. That was literally the second wheel to fall off, and he retired.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he was still a 10 points 10 rebounds per game big with elite rim protection. We would've won that series if Flopovich would've played Aldridge/Diaw Duncan/West instead of Aldridge/Duncan Diaw/West. Or if he had played Boban next to Diaw or West. But you know how Pop is
    Duncan looked real bad during the end of the regular season and into playoffs it continued. For me it was painful to watch him labor up the court. He reminded me a lot of Robert Parish during Parish's final years in the NBA with the Hornets and Bulls. I was just glad that in his final game he went out with a good game.
    Last edited by daslicer; 09-01-2020 at 06:48 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

OKC was always a tough match up when you factor in the refs and them having the best player on the court in Durant. A lot of things went against the Spurs in that series. The way game 2 ended was controversial due to the refs screwing up at the end and costing the Spurs the game. Also LMA and #2 both had games where they just straight up choked in the series. I just remember how terrible #2 was in game 6 that Pop even benched him. After that game I didn't believe #2 had it in him to reach supers om. Looking back it's very frustrating that the Spurs had to go through growing pains with #2 before he finally figured how to be consistent in the playoffs. Playing West and Diaw was terrible. Pop could have played Boban more but I don't think he would have helped much on the defensive end since he's slow footed and I can't imagine him protecting the rim from prime Durant/Westbrook. Ultimately Duncan having 2 bad knees really sunk the Spurs because they couldn't counter OKC's size. If the Spurs had 2015 Duncan then they would have won the series.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sign Boban and Bol and lobby for a rules change that makes them useful defensively.

We must preserve our big men!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sup my dude. Good article OP.

Thread Information