Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    College
    Maryland Terrapins
    I just want a Nissan exterra and just want to get away. Trust me I am very frugal. I have a flip phone. I have one pair of shoes. I don't really have car cat since it's basically dead. It has a huge oil leak and the front of the engine is covered in grease, dirt, and oil. Scary to drive. Last week I thought it was going to blow up. Please don't make fun of my Mavs. Leave them out of this.
    We've been had.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    My first thought after that post too

Scarlett our Goddess4ever
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    how's life at Chelsea, Samuel? You n Mourinho are buddies, aren't you?

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    What's wrong with wanting a Nissan exterra?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

GoodOdor said this already, but if you refuse to go back to college since you've concluded it's worthless based off your anecdotal example (I'm not even gonna try pointing out how bad that logic is), then go to Alaska, North Dakota or even West Texas and work in oil drilling/transportation/etc.

i know Jacob will either ignore this/complain even more but for anyone else who's interested, you can make some sick money in ND working in the oilfields. [Over $100k with all the overtime and depending on the company] (Williston, ND is booming right now) It's pretty hard to not find a job up there because they're understaffed all over the place.

I'm sure you could work fast food and make $17 an hour. The only hard part is finding a place to live since it's so overcrowded, but if you're determined you can find something and then re-evaluate your life after a few months.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders

i know Jacob will either ignore this/complain even more but for anyone else who's interested, you can make some sick money in ND working in the oilfields. [Over $100k with all the overtime and depending on the company] (Williston, ND is booming right now) It's pretty hard to not find a job up there because they're understaffed all over the place.

I'm sure you could work fast food and make $17 an hour. The only hard part is finding a place to live since it's so overcrowded, but if you're determined you can find something and then re-evaluate your life after a few months.
    If I wasn't committed to a relationship and already in a solid career, I would definitely consider this. In all honesty though, can you see ole Jacob leaving Target to work in the ND Oilfields?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Don't you need some kind of mechanical experience to work out in the field?

here's one for you Jacob:

http://www.ndoiljobs.com/featured-li...ate-mbi-energy

Not sure the pay, but your insurance is 100% covered

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    I think that if a job pays well and doesn't risk his life, it's at least worth a try for my imho. Some jobs pay well but are dangerous as (like an Alaskan crab fisherman's job), but oil mining sounds just as safe as a pilot's job. The oil field might explode but the odd of that happening wouldn't be any higher than that of a Bowing-747 crashing into the ground on a sunny day tbh. Loneliness or boringness ain't no issue to celibates like him imho, those things are what we've long been inured to.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    ^definitely helps but not the case for entry level positions. Your starting salary doesn't look great on paper but you work your ass off/massive amounts of overtime and it comes out to >$60k a year. tbh i just got a job offer from a service company up there but it was for an engineering position since I have a degree in the field.

like i said though, if you can't get something in the field, you can make a good buck doing anything up there since they're having trouble getting workers to fill the other spots. I've heard strippers make $2,000-$3,000 a night imho

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Everytime I read about someone who was wrongly convicted and sent to prison, then a few years later was proven innocent and set free, and compensated millions of bucks... I felt envious as . I was like why the can't I encounter such good luck? Celibates don't mind loneliness or whatever . I'd happily accept a job working in a ing desert by myself as long as the job pays well. I mean, you don't need to come home everyday only to sleep with your pillow tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Gotta agree with det playa rogue, that post was as sweet as a jar of fresh pickle juice imho.

If you're Jacob, why not go work out in the middle of nowhere in a job that most ppl would turn down? It's not he's gonna miss out on a lucrative career and it's not like the absence of women are gonna affect him in any way

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I tried convincing myself it's a shtick, but I realized that was me trying to ignore the probable truth, that we have millions of people like this in America who are totally out of touch because of uncontrollable narcissism that makes them incapable of thinking clearly. People like Jacob are so in deniable about the reality that no one was put on this planet for a special predetermined reason and that your life will most likely be just as ordinary as the lives of everyone you see that they think the world is gonna arrive at their doorstep immediately after it inevitably figures out how much it needs Jacob1983 to avoid global calamity.
    USonhiroshima.gif

I know whottt Jacob's problem is, and I guarantee you it started with parenting. I had to deal with the same BS. Some parents will spoonfeed you how the world really works at a young age, or others will try the smother/treat my kid like he's a prince route. I had the latter, unfortunately. Everytime I made a good grade on a test, got an award in something, etc. it was always "Great job! You deserve it, nobody worked as hard as you did!!" from them and their friends. So of course my ego would grow and then when something didn't go my way I would always be like " It's not fair! Why me? But I worked so hard! "

Bull , what about Xing Chang Liu-Mang who slaves away in the China/Laos/Cambodian rice fields for 12-16 hours a day and can't even feed his family? He works twice as hard as I do, and gets much less. Fortunately, I saw how toxic that behavior was and grew out of it once I got to college and saw others from different backgrounds. Unfortunately, Jacob1983 is still in that mold, expecting lines of people to line up at his door and hand him an $80k job because he's the all mighty :worthy Jacob1983 :worthy

Like DoK said, as soon as he realizes that we're all just an insignificant part of human history, the better off he'll be.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I've read a number of Jacob's posts too and another one of the things that he whines and cries about is the fact that he has a degree yet still assembles girls bicycles at Target.

I think he fell for the common misconception that I heard time and again myself growing up: "just get a degree and you'll get the job you want" or "you'll always have that degree to fall back on."

Nobody at Sallie Mae warned him that he won't be handed a CEO position just because he got a degree in History. It's a sad, common story, but it's salvageable if he were to pull his head out of his ass and do something about it.

But he won't. He'd prefer to whine about missing turkey and pumpkin pie because Black Friday is his master.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    I've read a number of Jacob's posts too and another one of the things that he whines and cries about is the fact that he has a degree yet still assembles girls bicycles at Target.

I think he fell for the common misconception that I heard time and again myself growing up: "just get a degree and you'll get the job you want" or "you'll always have that degree to fall back on."

Nobody at Sallie Mae warned him that he won't be handed a CEO position just because he got a degree in History. It's a sad, common story, but it's salvageable if he were to pull his head out of his ass and do something about it.

But he won't. He'd prefer to whine about missing turkey and pumpkin pie because Black Friday is his master.
    How much blame do you place on people in his position though?

Like you said, the current young adult generation was basically fed the mantra of "go to college and get any degree, you'll be making bank!", "don't worry about those 100k loans for your liberal arts degree, once you graduate you'll pay those back in no time!!!". I have some sympathy because when you're 18 and everyone is telling you to get those loans and go to college, you don't have the smarts/life experience to know any better....

But at the same time, maybe you should have done some research to find out that going 100k in debt for a women studies BA is not the best idea....

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    How much blame do you place on people in his position though?

Like you said, the current young adult generation was basically fed the mantra of "go to college and get any degree, you'll be making bank!", "don't worry about those 100k loans for your liberal arts degree, once you graduate you'll pay those back in no time!!!". I have some sympathy because when you're 18 and everyone is telling you to get those loans and go to college, you don't have the smarts/life experience to know any better....

But at the same time, maybe you should have done some research to find out that going 100k in debt for a women studies BA is not the best idea....
    It's definitely not all Jacob's fault.

I don't have any concrete evidence, but I think it's clear that high schools and guidance counselors do ty jobs of telling kids they absolutely need a career and a specific degree in mind when signing up for classes.

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

I don't have any concrete evidence, but I think it's clear that high schools and guidance counselors do ty jobs of telling kids they absolutely need a career and a specific degree in mind when signing up for classes.
    I agree.

At the same time, I still believe that if you have the drive, you can get out of a hole even as big as Jacob's - but it ain't easy.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers

My experience with HS counselors was absolutely ty. They were never up front it just seemed like if you asked what job you could get with your major, they just got lazy and put a throwaway "er" or "ist" onto the end.

Q: "What could I get with a Psychology degree?"

A: "You graduate and become a psychologist!"

Q: "What about a Geography degree?"

A: "You graduate and become a geographer and study the world!"

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    My experience with HS counselors was absolutely ty. They were never up front it just seemed like if you asked what job you could get with your major, they just got lazy and put a throwaway "er" or "ist" onto the end.

Q: "What could I get with a Psychology degree?"

A: "You graduate and become a psychologist!"

Q: "What about a Geography degree?"

A: "You graduate and become a geographer and study the world!"
    This goes all the way up to college job counselors - some advice you get from them about how to find a job once you graduate:

"go in and drop off your resume! demand to speak with a manager! call them everyday about the resume you dropped off"!!

This type of advice gets your resume thrown in the trash.......sure, there might be someone out there who got a job by walking in and asking to speak to someone, but in today's age

you gotta follow the correct protocols, tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ^ yeah that's a crock of . That whole "walk in and be a good 'ol boy, show em your hard working, genuine, and 'ol fashioned!" stuff doesn't work. Companies just want to see three things...

1) You're qualified (technical skills etc)
    2) You're knowledegable about the job/industry that you're getting into
    2) You're not a complete asshole and that they can work with you

Believe.
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    ^ yeah that's a crock of . That whole "walk in and be a good 'ol boy, show em your hard working, genuine, and 'ol fashioned!" stuff doesn't work. Companies just want to see three things...

1) You're qualified (technical skills etc)
    2) You're knowledegable about the job/industry that you're getting into
    2) You're not a complete asshole and that they can work with you
    Pretty much, a big reason a college degree is still useful today is that companies assume that if you went through 4 years of schooling, there's a good chance you're not a complete .....of course people like Jacob still fall through the cracks, but for the most part you just have to behave like a normal human being and that already puts you ahead.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    If my Jacob could somehow convince himself to convert to either Johanssonism (the belief in our Goddess) or Koballah (belief in Kobe who's god), his life would turn around 180-degree immediately and would be better off soon, tbh. Dude just doesn't have no faith which's his biggest trouble, and that's the primary reason why he's stuck in a ty job doing things he hates imho. I used to be in a similar situation, but thankfully I quit that quickly enough to save myself a career. It ain't too late for Jacob either, he's in his 30s but just like the proverb says, "A man is as old as he feels". Jacob is a MF'N badass celibate so age matters just as little to him as money does, imho. Dude can enjoy an ascetic life even without a job, but it would be great if he can live such a life while getting paid decent money doing a job of leisure in a remote desert or a beacon at the farthest tip of a continent. Most people don't choose those jobs because they'd be separate from their es for years, but that ain't no issue to Jacob since he doesn't have no at all, never has had and never will. What's poison to other people might just be a flavor to Jacob (or any other celibate), imho.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Actually, I've been thinking about doing TESL lately. I want to get out of America and explore the world and think that might be my chance to do it. I agree with the "good ol boy show em' hard working" bit does not work during interviews. Companies want to know if you know what you're doing and if you are good at it. Other than those two things, they don't really give a about any other things. But anyways, I've been reading about how you don't have to have a lot of money to be considered rich in China. I would definitely consider going over there to work.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    oi Jacob1983

have u tried gettin a job in the targets distribution center (logistics)? they get paid heaps..

down here someone full time can earn like 100k a year in its center...

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Nope. I've been told by the boss of my store that I won't ever be allowed to be transfer to a different store or move up to a boss position. With that type of feedback, there's no point of trying to get that at Target.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Actually, I've been thinking about doing TESL lately. I want to get out of America and explore the world and think that might be my chance to do it. I agree with the "good ol boy show em' hard working" bit does not work during interviews. Companies want to know if you know what you're doing and if you are good at it. Other than those two things, they don't really give a about any other things. But anyways, I've been reading about how you don't have to have a lot of money to be considered rich in China. I would definitely consider going over there to work.
    Excellent idea bro, s' schools are generally so stupid they'd reward you big money just for you being white imho (or being black, or anything else that's not yellow). I remember back in our highschool years there was an English teacher (a teacher that taught English) from UK and he himself was hardly a good English speaker because English was also a 2nd language to him as well. He was born in Pakistan (typical terrorist look) but immigrated to UK when he was young, and his accent sounded just as much like a terrorists as his face looked, no British accent at all... We got robbed either way though, since British accent sounds just as bad as any foreign accent. But it's easy to assume that the terrorist-inbred bas earned more in China than he would've got paid in UK, otherwise who the wants to work in China?

s have the money by which they even managed to lure some bigname soccer players into their ty league (Anelka, Drogba, Barrios, Keita... just to name a few), not to say those former NBA players like Marbury and Agent0. And it wouldn't matter if you teach in college or in high school imho, sometimes high school teachers even get bigger salaries than college teachers in China (because of the notorious college entrance exams, a dogfight based on high school knowledge). College teachers are generally wealthier because they may work part-timely as private contractors to earn extra money (like DMC), which's even more than the salary imho.
    Last edited by Rogue; 02-14-2014 at 09:39 AM.

Thread Information