Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when the lease is up, the building will be over 30 years old.
    That's 12 years from now. AT&T Center is still a good place to watch a game, if the other team is good tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that the Convention Center complex downtown could use a more marketable facility, but how many times will the voters buy into the pitch that "this is what we need to keep the Spurs and add to the value of our convention business." We paid for the old Hemisphere Arena uplift disaster and then the Alamo Dome disaster and now the ATT arena out in the boonies. Doesn't it ever register that we are being led by the nose to benefit the rich?
    Private profit, public cost is the operating model of American professional sports. I wouldn't vote for us to build the Spurs a new arena either but I'm fine with not having professional sports here under this business model where cities get extorted every 20 years by millionaires and billionaires. I love the Spurs but that's horse that we're supposed to give them likely more than half a billion dollars in the next decade to build them a new stadium that benefits only them. Let Austin build them an arena, or Anaheim, or if Seattle wants to be stupid they can have the team too if the Spurs are going to demand we pay for their arena again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Private profit, public cost is the operating model of American professional sports. I wouldn't vote for us to build the Spurs a new arena either but I'm fine with not having professional sports here under this business model where cities get extorted every 20 years by millionaires and billionaires. I love the Spurs but that's horse that we're supposed to give them likely more than half a billion dollars in the next decade to build them a new stadium that benefits only them. Let Austin build them an arena, or Anaheim, or if Seattle wants to be stupid they can have the team too if the Spurs are going to demand we pay for their arena again.
    I would vote for it as I would like SA to have at least one pro sports franchise. If there is a new arena vote and it fails and they choose Austin as a new home I would be okay with it. Would probably go to only the weekend home games but that’s how I started out as a Spurs fan growing up in Austin traveling to SA on the weekends for games.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Alamo Dome was built as a payoff to the wealthy owners of the property who are part of the "old 400" families who have controlled SA for years via money and politics. The site was virtually unsaleable because of environmental issues about the toxicity of the land beneath the old foundry buildings. Remember how that didn't come out until after the purchase that bailed out the owners? Why did no one in power ask the questions necessary for citizens to understand what they were buying with their tax dollars? Do you think the environmental concerns should have been mentioned as a probable cause for an increase in the cost? What about parking? Sure, there is a limited amount of parking for the rich, but what huge public arena in Texas should be built without adequate parking for a normal NFL franchise? Any reputable architect should have noted/blasted the lack of parking for a 60,000 seat stadium--- and that it didn't meet NFL standards just because it would seat enough people (if you could get them there) Instead Cisneros sold the dream of an NFL franchise to gullible voters on a bond issue.

Now the Alamo Dome mostly sits empty because there are limited users, even as a convention center or occasional Bowl game to make it more than a beached whale. It was totally unsuitable for a NBA stadium as well, so the gullible voters went for another deal out by the old Stock Show arena. I agree that the Convention Center complex downtown could use a more marketable facility, but how many times will the voters buy into the pitch that "this is what we need to keep the Spurs and add to the value of our convention business." We paid for the old Hemisphere Arena uplift disaster and then the Alamo Dome disaster and now the ATT arena out in the boonies. Doesn't it ever register that we are being led simply by the nose to benefit the rich?
    There is so much false nonsense in this “history” that it would take a month to unwrap it all. I’ll start simply with your contention that the Alamodome sits empty. They have events at the dome all the time. Football, basketball, home and garden, Disney on Ice, Monster Trucks, fights, music concerts, graduations, religious conventions, corporate events. Plus it gives the city a venue for national events like Final Fours. They’re playing soccer there today and all the lots are full. You speak from a position of ignorance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Alamo Dome was built as a payoff to the wealthy owners of the property who are part of the "old 400" families who have controlled SA for years via money and politics. The site was virtually unsaleable because of environmental issues about the toxicity of the land beneath the old foundry buildings. Remember how that didn't come out until after the purchase that bailed out the owners? Why did no one in power ask the questions necessary for citizens to understand what they were buying with their tax dollars? Do you think the environmental concerns should have been mentioned as a probable cause for an increase in the cost? What about parking? Sure, there is a limited amount of parking for the rich, but what huge public arena in Texas should be built without adequate parking for a normal NFL franchise? Any reputable architect should have noted/blasted the lack of parking for a 60,000 seat stadium--- and that it didn't meet NFL standards just because it would seat enough people (if you could get them there) Instead Cisneros sold the dream of an NFL franchise to gullible voters on a bond issue.

Now the Alamo Dome mostly sits empty because there are limited users, even as a convention center or occasional Bowl game to make it more than a beached whale. It was totally unsuitable for a NBA stadium as well, so the gullible voters went for another deal out by the old Stock Show arena. I agree that the Convention Center complex downtown could use a more marketable facility, but how many times will the voters buy into the pitch that "this is what we need to keep the Spurs and add to the value of our convention business." We paid for the old Hemisphere Arena uplift disaster and then the Alamo Dome disaster and now the ATT arena out in the boonies. Doesn't it ever register that we are being led by the nose to benefit the rich?
    As long as primarily out of towners pay for it via hotel/ rental car tax, I couldn’t give a . If it takes tourists and business travelers to dig deeper into their pockets to keep our Spurs here, so be it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fred Loya Center

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Frost will be replaced on the jerseys starting next year…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SELF Financial will replace Frost on the Jersey.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SELF Financial will replace Frost on the Jersey.
    a software company based in Austin, TX; let the rumors begin!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dammit I wanted Taco Cabana to get the jersey logo rights.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pollos asados would have been way better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it got their chicken into the arena it would be worth it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or Jim's. I still remember Antonio Daniel's big ass mug smiling on the front of the menu...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or Jim's. I still remember Antonio Daniel's big ass mug smiling on the front of the menu...
    AD loved Jim’s. So did Timmy and Danny Green. I remember Verde would eat at the one over off Huebner regularly before Pop shipped him out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    AD loved Jim’s. So did Timmy and Danny Green. I remember Verde would eat at the one over off Huebner regularly before Pop shipped him out.
    When DG first came to San Antonio, he apparently dated my best buddy's cousin for a while. I never got to meet him, but crazy to think of some friend that I used to go run around Splashtown with dating an NBA star...it's a small world I guess.

I also worked at Academy by Northwoods when I was younger...saw some Spurs there. George Gervin used to come in all the time just to look at the fishing stuff. Saw Sean Elliott and Devin Brown come through, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10759730[/URL]]When DG first came to San Antonio, he apparently dated my best buddy's cousin for a while. I never got to meet him, but crazy to think of some friend that I used to go run around Splashtown with dating an NBA star...it's a small world I guess.

I also worked at Academy by Northwoods when I was younger...saw some Spurs there. George Gervin used to come in all the time just to look at the fishing stuff. Saw Sean Elliott and Devin Brown come through, too.
    I always feel bad for those tall basketball players like Duncan. You can’t hide your height and you have people staring at you like a dinosaur wherever you go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw Francisco Elson at Silo stone oak once

Saw Ian Mahinmi at Best Buy 281 and 1604

Saw Iceman Gervin on my flight back to SA from Vegas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When DG first came to San Antonio, he apparently dated my best buddy's cousin for a while. I never got to meet him, but crazy to think of some friend that I used to go run around Splashtown with dating an NBA star...it's a small world I guess.

Nice. Got to meet 3 of the 4 dudes you just named. Met Danny at a Longhorns basketball game when UNC was in town a few years back. He was sitting almost right behind me. He was pissed that security wouldn’t let him on the floor to talk to the Carolina players after the game lol.

Met Sean Elliott and his wife a UT football game. He was sitting right in the aisle seat so had to say hi.

Met Devin Brown at the Best Buy at The Rim once too a few years ago. He seemed chill.

Still haven’t met the Iceman though. Hope to run into him sometime. I’ve heard he’s cool as .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I always feel bad for those tall basketball players like Duncan. You can’t hide your height and you have people staring at you like a dinosaur wherever you go.
    Saw Timmy and his wife Vanessa walk right by me while I was sitting in a waiting room at a Chiropractor’s office lol. I was inside, they walked by outside. They’d just picked up food to go from a place next door. And you’re right, Timmy stood out like a sore thumb. Dude was huge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I used to own this drinking/dining establishment. Danny and Nephew would come in to pickup takeout all the time. Nephew would pull his hoodie super tight like that would stop anyone from recognizing the giant walking in.

Oberto would come in from time to time as well.

Saw Manu at a Best Buy once. Wife saw Timmy out at HEB once and told me "I saw a really tall basketball player at the store" then went on to describe Tim. Pulled up his pic, "yeah, that guy". That's what I get for marrying a Californian.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw Iceman Gervin on my flight back to SA from Vegas
    LOL I was on a flight sitting the row behind Ice from Vegas to SA too like ten years ago. He really appreciates his fans. Was talking to him about the Bums and how mean a brisket Big George Valle used to cook (RIP) and about how being a fan in the 80s at Hemisfair was so much fun. And that I was miffed I missed Tony's gamewinner against OKC to start the season as I was out of country.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of them, you been to the Pollos Asodos Los Nortenos on Walzem? If so is it as good as the original on Rigsby? God the one on Rigsby gets so packed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL I was on a flight sitting the row behind Ice from Vegas to SA too like ten years ago. He really appreciates his fans. Was talking to him about the Bums and how mean a brisket Big George Valle used to cook (RIP) and about how being a fan in the 80s at Hemisfair was so much fun. And that I was miffed I missed Tony's gamewinner against OKC to start the season as I was out of country.
    Haha nice. Yeah it was a night flight back from Vegas and the cabin of the plane kept flashing and I was like what's going on and it turns out fans were walking up to his seat and asking for photos. Ice was so gracious to all the fans bet the poor guy just wanted to have a quiet flight.

Saw Iceman at the baggage claim after the flight pulling a huge ass golf bag off the conveyor belt lol. He looked me in the eyes like "if you're gonna ask for a pic then just do it" and I just nodded and walked past and left him alone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ill never forget as a child eating at ez's pizza i think and me and my parents sat behind david robinson and his wife with one of his kids. I remember telling my parents not to bother him while he was eating. Well everyone and their mamma went up to him for autographs and pictures. Finally his wife got up and straight up walked out.Poor david sat there with a burger in his mouth embarrassed and eventually left. I felt bad for the dude

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mockup of what the Self. patch will look like on our jerseys. Frost looked better but whatever. Not a big deal.

Thread Information