Page 25 of 88 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Italy high due to age, cultural appropriateness of poor hygiene and smokers. China due to proximity. I would be interested in knowing more about this when utilizing data to determine transmission of any virus. Again, problem solve on prevention not reaction
    Obesity has also been linked to higher mortality rate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many died of the flu but it was actually corona.

Answer according to you: None, as long as we don’t test anyone.
    get to digging

white flag accepted
    no, not at all. my contention was that if you tracked every other disease you’d probably get a higher count.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if it's not common sense then the answer to the questions I asked should be obvious.
    No one knows for sure but it seems likely that having the infection once can result in some immunity, but just like the influenza virus can mutate so can this one.

And next year? Who knows...it may stay here with us forever or as your dear leader said it might one day just disappear like magic.

But I get it...you're on the it's "just a flu" team and no reason to test because it will incite panic. Or maybe you don't want to know. Maybe you just don't want to deal with your own mortality.
    That's a bit rude since Magic also has a virus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, not at all. my contention was that if you tracked every other disease you’d probably get a higher count.
    Which is completely unrelated to the corona conversation we're having here, and your celebration of having less than 60 deaths.

We can talk about the weather too, completely unrelated, but we certainly could.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which is completely unrelated to the corona conversation we're having here, and your celebration of having less than 60 deaths.

We can talk about the weather too, completely unrelated, but we certainly could.

LMAO. I look in here once a day, and there's Nono with his obligatory reductionist argument. If they guy is questioning whether this thing is that much worse than, say, a virulent influenza strain, it probably makes sense to talk about the other disease to make a comparison. If someone is speculating that the infection rate might slow down once it warms up in the northern hemisphere, the weather might be pertinent too. I'll give you this, Nono: what you lack in intelligence, you make up for in smarmy high school logical fallacy.

He's right that there are only about 60 deaths in the US so far. It could get a lot worse, but that doesn't change the accuracy of his statement. The bigger thing may be that about 1/3 of those deaths come from a single nursing home in Washington. It's looking like the mortality rate in people under about 50 is very similar to influenza, and it's older people with underlying health conditions that are really skewing the death numbers.

Not only that, most of the test kits being used were returning really high false positive rates - some as high as 48%. Which means that a lot of people who got tested had the virus but were tested negative. And that means that the death rate is actually smaller, as a percentage of total infections. (We know how many people died, but there were a LOT more people infected than was first believed.)

It's pretty clear that some people (like you) would really like to see this thing get worse, just to prove some political point. It's sick... probably sociopathic.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not only that, most of the test kits being used were returning really high false positive rates - some as high as 48%. Which means that a lot of people who got tested had the virus but were tested negative. And that means that the death rate is actually smaller, as a percentage of total infections. (We know how many people died, but there were a LOT more people infected than was first believed.)
    That doesn't sound right tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMAO. I look in here once a day, and there's Nono with his obligatory reductionist argument. If they guy is questioning whether this thing is that much worse than, say, a virulent influenza strain, it probably makes sense to talk about the other disease to make a comparison. If someone is speculating that the infection rate might slow down once it warms up in the northern hemisphere, the weather might be pertinent too. I'll give you this, Nono: what you lack in intelligence, you make up for in smarmy high school logical fallacy.

He's right that there are only about 60 deaths in the US so far. It could get a lot worse, but that doesn't change the accuracy of his statement. The bigger thing may be that about 1/3 of those deaths come from a single nursing home in Washington. It's looking like the mortality rate in people under about 50 is very similar to influenza, and it's older people with underlying health conditions that are really skewing the death numbers.

It's pretty clear that some people (like you) would really like to see this thing get worse, just to prove some political point. It's sick... probably sociopathic.
    But he wasn't pointing it out, he was ing the football that there was less the 60 deaths. I merely pointed out 2 hours later that there was over 60, which then went directly to whataboutism/dodge, "but look at the flu deaths!"

If we do basic math, this thing has 18 to 40 times the death rate of flu, which makes sense, since we don't have a vaccine for it. This isn't opinion, it's directly related to the fact that the flu has a mortality rate of 0.1% whereas this thing is between 1.8% and at 4%.

And yes, that includes the US, so unless you're going advance that the CDC test is flawed too, there's really not a lot of spin to add to this. So, it's entirely possible that there isn't that many deaths right now compared to the flu, but this is just getting started, and that's the point.

What the are you talking about politics? This has nothing to do with politics, I didn't mention Trump or anybody else here. I see stupid people saying stupid things, and I just point out what's stupid about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That doesn't sound right tbh.
    Not only that's not right, I've read the exact opposite: some tests returned negative when the person was indeed infected, especially the WHO test in China.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Italy high due to age, cultural appropriateness of poor hygiene and smokers. China due to proximity. I would be interested in knowing more about this when utilizing data to determine transmission of any virus. Again, problem solve on prevention not reaction
    C19 is worse in Italy because of its proximity to China and they have worse hygiene and are less healthy that US citizens? Do you think before the spews out of your face? Have you ever been to a Cracker Barrel? You think like a racist from a 1970s sitcom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Listen to actual Doctors and Healthcare professionals -
    https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/03...hysicians.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Docs and virologists in France estimated the actual number of infected people is about 100 times bigger than the detected cases (5K as of today). And all the models virologists elaborated these past weeks predected exactly what's happening right now, reason why politicians are listening to them now as those models don't anounce pretty things if you don't take the drastic measures every nation is adopting right now.

If not, that is all over your country in a matter of weeks, with half of the population infected. And even if it's only dangerous for 1% of them, that's still representing millions of people needing heavy medical treatment (reanimation, respiratory assistance...), which no medical system could handle.

You know that stuff is serious in a world driven by money when nations are ready to hurt their economy so dramatically to eradicate that nice gift from China.
    Last edited by JPB; 03-16-2020 at 04:25 AM.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you keep on losing on losing. No argument, it is too easy to debate with you.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    get to digging

and he loses another argument it must be tiring to be on the losing side. Everybody beats you, you cannot argue with one person, not one

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

whatever you wanna say to make yourself feel better

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you keep on losing on losing. No argument, it is too easy to debate with you.
    and he loses another argument it must be tiring to be on the losing side. Everybody beats you, you cannot argue with one person, not one
    oui oui Le French at it again. Gonna pull up another ceoworld.biz article? oh yeah how’s the quarantine going? Not used to working So I’m sure nothing’s changed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whatever you wanna say to make yourself feel better
    white flag accepted, again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    white flag accepted, again
    63 deaths SHUT DOWN THE COUNTRY

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C19 is worse in Italy because of its proximity to China and they have worse hygiene and are less healthy that US citizens? Do you think before the spews out of your face? Have you ever been to a Cracker Barrel? You think like a racist from a 1970s sitcom.
    Look at the statistical information. The age of italians. The amount of smokers in italy. They greet by KISSING. All of these things increase their risk.of death. You do understand italy does not border China, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    63 deaths SHUT DOWN THE COUNTRY
    66 now. I didn't ask to shut down anything, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oops, make that 69.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope it won't happen but there's a fair (and logical) chance USA will be Italy in a couple weeks or so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sadly, with how you are handling it at the moment I am affraid it is going to be far far worse.

In most countries in Europe almost everything is getting shut down. In Slovenia the government completely shut down all public transport - only taxis are allowed to drive, all bars & restaurants, all none vital shops, schools are a no brainer of course, etc... And pretty much the same is going on in every country around us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope it won't happen but there's a fair (and logical) chance USA will be Italy in a couple weeks or so.
    Of course it will. Here in France we are just about to be quarantined, all shops except for food and pharmacies are closed. And it looks like next step will be for us to be told to stay home indefinitely. It’s just the beginning in USA and you’ll go through this too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how is it "better" or "more comprehensive"?
    Everyone has answered this in a thread, do some internet research.

something went wrong in italy for them to be where they are, tent ICUs and all.
    No testing. No one has immunity so it spreads fast and the need for hospitalization last for 3-4 weeks with no testing crippled their system -

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2020/03...hysicians.html

You should listen to this, we are trying to help you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Italy also underestimated it for too long. They quarantined two areas and thought they can contain it inside. It wouldn't have been contained anyway but there were also some smartasses from those two areas that ignored the quarantine ans went skiing... As this was during school holiday period for a lot of countries there were a lot of people there. Started to spread from there into a lot of close countries. I thin first cases in Slovenia, Austria and Croatia were all from people skiing in Italy ...

The second problem Italy had was that it got into their healthcare system unnoticed in the beginning...

Thread Information